• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xnaop

Colonel
133 Badges
Nov 18, 2009
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
OK, I remain excited, and will definitely be purchasing this, but having had some time to mull it over, my excitement is dampered compared to what it originally was.

I don't care about the map's graphics. At all. I mean, I guess it's nice that it's being made to look nicer. But whatever, who cares?

Now, Japan and China specific stuff, that's definitely cool. But...

What this game really needs, at this point, is not new features (although I'm happy to see new features). It really needs usability.

There are so many things that are absurdly difficult to do, simply because information is not presented to you in good ways. Lots of things that should be trivial to do wind up taking eighty billion mouse clicks.

For example (and, to be clear, I mean this only as an example, I'm not saying it is the most important thing), say I've got four diplomats, and soon to be five. If I don't use one of them, I'm essentially wasting future diplomats. I don't want to declare war on anybody, I don't want to send somebody money, and so forth. So what's a good thing to do? Maybe a royal marriage with some random nation.

So I laboriously click on some province of an essentially random nation, then scroll up or down to "Royal Marriage", see whether it's enabled or not, if it's enabled click on it, and get told "Very Unlikely". Then I go on to the next random nation and do the same thing. Over and over, for dozens of nations. Sometimes I forget that I've already checked, say, Mainz, so I check it twice or more. And I wind up doing this every friggin' month.

Or, more likely, I just give up on doing it, because it's too tedious, and those future diplomats therefore just go to waste. Solely because the game is borderline unusable in this respect.

Why couldn't there just be a screen, for example, which lists all nations, and allows me to filter them and sort them in a wide variety of ways (and a similar screen for provinces)?

I would go to the screen, filter by nations that I don't have a royal marriage with, and then sort by chance of success of a royal marriage.

And when I say "chance of success", I mean the real chance of success - not like the damn trade screen, which tells you you have a 99% chance (or whatever) even if the place is packed full of merchants from your trade league or who you have trade agreements with, meaning that you really have a zero percent chance, not a 99% chance. So, similarly to the above example, you laboriously inspect the province with the CoT, go to its CoT page, hover over individual shields (!), and finally figure out that you do or do not have an actual chance of placing a merchant there. Or, because that's too tedious, you just send the damn merchant and hope for the best.

Again, these are just examples. The whole game is packed full of usability issues for things that should be trivial and are instead labyrinthine, tedious, and time consuming.

I want to reiterate that, despite these objections, I am happy to see the expansion, and will be buying it, no doubt. But obviously there's a limited amount of resources that can go into development, and, given that fact, I really, really wish that Paradox would dedicate at least some of those resources to usability instead of features.

I have another (related) idea on the diplomats:

If you have 5 diplomats and now would get a 6th one
you instead get let's say 1 to 5 relation points to some random
nation. That's not much (so using diplomats by yourself is
more effective) but they are not so wasted.

Fix the provincial decision ledger too while you're at it, sometimes you get stuff on it that have nothing written on them and just take up extra space.

We have quite alot of interface improvements on the list.

Good to know.

I agree with the first post in everything. It reminds me of the princess issue in Crusader Kings. With no screen or tool where to look for nubile princesses, looking for a suitable wife for my children was a real pain in the ass.

I agreed too. But at the same time, I don't really care, I'm such a big sucker and love this game too much and I will pay and play it no matter what. Its a weird situation.

Oh but there is one thing I HATE, with a passion, and a little bit more, achievements.

Thats great Balor.

Im sure youre aware that anyone with a large Empire and a lack of spare mice and index fingers would be very very glad to have an option to build a specific type of building in every province he can afford to with one click.

Anyone who's built level 6 forts all over the world after a WC knows what Im talking about ;)

I really hate EU3's system of colonisation. Victoria 2's migratory system works better. I really don't care for Asian features... at all.

Last edited:
Im sure youre aware that anyone with a large Empire and a lack of spare mice and index fingers would be very very glad to have an option to build a specific type of building in every province he can afford to with one click.

Oh Lord, yes please.

Maybe right click on the building icon and it says
Build 5
Build 10
Build 20
Build Max

and the game will pick provinces based off value or something to build them.

Oh Lord, yes please.

Maybe right click on the building icon and it says
Build 5
Build 10
Build 20
Build Max

and the game will pick provinces based off value or something to build them.
I don't rly understand this problem. With "click + Enter" you build forts in the whole world in under 30 seconds. It was much harder in EU2 ...

I don't understand how will EU compete with Magna Mundi. One of MM's goals was adding content for many countries of the world - the same as EU's content. I'm sure Paradox will not just add ton of events for China and Japan. We'll of course see new UI, better AI, new decisions and events, new options in "Meteor sighted!" event. Right now influence sphere system seems out of the game: it's just out of context - maybe we'll see new systems of vassalage or spheres.

I think that EU suffers from being old. Not technically old, but gameplay old. Vanilla EU3 is MUCH simpler (not in difficulty terms, but in complexeness) than Victoria, HoI, even Rome. And features were added, but they are mostly out of place. So it's a best game till we see V2 1.2 and it needs patches rather than new features.

When I had nearly 120 provinces at one point as Ming, it definitely took more than 30 seconds to build a level 2 fort in all of them. I clicked everything and just held enter till it was done.

Plus the map changes will enable even better map mods.

There are already some amazing mods for HOI3 and V2 that add accurate water depth, change the folded map effect, improve the textures and such.

V2 is the best looking game Paradox ever released and looks really professional. Once modded properly, its downright amazing.

Mind you this brings to mind a second question: I assume 4.1 final will be released before Kamikaze, yes?

Good points in this thread. I am one of those who believe that V2 has shown that there's someone there Paradox World Headquarters who appreciates how valuable a good UI can be. I hope we can expect the same standard in this expansion.