• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AndrewT

The Full Monty Python
116 Badges
Jun 29, 2001
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
That actually will not always solve that problem. You will probaly actually need to manually register the .dll file to get it working.

That's not so, I'm afraid. We've had hundreds if not thousands of customers do it, and all you need to do is install the kit. Once that DLL is in the system path you're done.

Perhaps you could post the installer that dosen't require a internet connection to run.

Then I'd have to re-do that each time MS updated it, which is every few months so far. Feel free to do it if you like but I'm not going to.

It makes no difference to the game as it's not used by the installer. However you'd usually only bother if you installed the game and ran it and got the error listed above, if you don't get that error there's no strict need to update your DX.

Are there any alternative ways to download this? Everytime I try and download it from Microsoft, my browser says it can't connect. When I looked for a alternative website to get it from, I acquire the DirectX Runtime Web Installer, but the installation continually refuses to initialize. I am approaching my last thread of patience here.

Further, it appears that that missing dxdx9_41.dll file problem appears AFTER I install the patch. Every incarnation of the game (Rome to VV) works just fine. Isn't this not DirectX 9.0c? I ran dxdiag and it came up that I have DirectX 11.

I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, but this is what happens to me.:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

I'm not sure if it's the exact same thing, but I tried dowloading DirectX from the link but Rome still won't run for me.

It is not. Please start your own fresh thread in this forum, with full problem and system info. Include the version # and checksum as seen on the main game menu (although some folks can only see it when they go to host a new MP game).

This hasn't help me at all, I get the same thing every single time I reinstall and when I follow your instruction to just download directx 9 it still gives me that error, and then.... I downloaded the latest directx 10(I believe), its still doing it, so what now?

My instructions do NOT say to download the latest DirectX 10, but the latest sub-version of DirectX 9.0c . If you do not have dxdx9_41.dll in your system directories then you WILL get this error; DirectX 10 is unrelated to 9 and doesn't help at all. If you are not getting an error that specifically mentioned that .dll then you have a different issue, please start a fresh thread with full error and system details.

Simply downloading the installer won't fix the problem, you need to actually install it too. Click on the link in post #1 in this thread, save the file in some known location like the desktop, and then execute it (ie double-click on it). Follow the prompts and it will install that .dll in Windows, and you should be OK then.

it mattered between the individual ones? i thought if you went from lets say no direct x to 10 it should work?

No, it does not work. You MUST have the latest version of DX 9, nothing else will do.

@ Issac_Wolfe Yep . . . same here.

A serious problem with the original OS install of Vista x64 on my tower PC meant I saved files and started again rebuilding the OS, etc. Eventually realising that my grumpy manner was a result of not playing Rome regularly I loaded the CD-ROM . . . exactly as before and the game, including VV expansion pack, worked seamlessly on that earlier install. First problem was the "JIT" error - see posts above - and that was corrected by reading the post and downloading the missing bit of Windows. Then I got the "missing .dll" message.

Unaccustomed as I am to shoving a wrench into the OS I spent ages learning about this and hours wasted trying to upgrade my Direct X. Gob-smacked when I saw that version 11 was loaded when I ran DxDiag! Eventually finding a site that gave step-by-step info on extracting and installing an individual DLL. . . . which I did and checked it was there in C:\Windows\system32 . . . it was.

Re-installed Rome and VV and . . . it worked! Full access to anything and everything . . . whatever Direct X I've got the game found the missing DLL. Remembering that I hadn't updated the game I downloaded and correctly installed vv_232. The result? Game won't open under any form of persuasion at all . . . I just get the message ". . . d3dx9_41.dll was not found".

Bollox! Every time I look it's damn well there and this game ran on this very PC/OS before . . . . so what's it not like now with the 2.3.2 patch?

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time, it's not usual to have to go to such extents. For pretty much everyone else, just running the current DirectX 9.0c installer installs that DLL where it needs to be and that's it - no need to extract individual DLLs.

Are you saying you have d3dx9_41.dll visible in /system32/ yet the game is still explicitly saying it can't find it? That's unique ... perhaps the version you got was not a real one? It's possible there are spoof files by that name floating around the 'net - where did you get it from? If not MS then there are no guarantees of course. The only authorised way to get it is from MS directly: you have to download the installer (dxwebsetup.exe), save it to a local directory, and then run it (preferably as the admin user)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

Also check you don't have multiple versions of that file in your system.

@ AndrewT . . . . one reason for the research I put into "what is a DLL, etc." is, though I'd seen them cause problems before, I had no idea of how they worked. The best link I found on the web that gave me clear instructions - and warned me not to download so-called "third party" fixes - was http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restoredx9dll.htm. Following their instructions I downloaded the FULL package directly from MS and extracted it's contents to a folder on the desktop, then I found the file, copied and pasted into the System32. Checked it was there in the right alpha/numeric order, then restarted and checked again. All in order. Can't see where else a DLL would be loaded and they're all there in that folder.

Having unloaded the failed Rome, used Ccleaner to fully remove all traces, then reloaded Rome I restarted again, opened Rome and . . . no problems . . . I had full access and full control. My previous several "hundred years" redefining history as Gaul was stored in another folder on another disk, I could have started as anybody I suppose and then quit/save and then reloaded that saved game but how would I know if I had fixed the problem? It was the installation of vv_232 that brought the "missing DLL" pop-up box back into play . . . or rather lack of. Damned frustrating and I can only think that the way MS has rebuilt my OS this time with it's updates it's missing something from the original set-up.

My first thought was . . . delete ALL DirectX and install a FULL load. But, Ver.9 was really for XP and I have Vista x64, I should - ideally - be using Ver.10 . . . and aren't the versions meant to be backward compatible? One thing I have found out is just how messy DirectX is within System32. I expected to see a folder but instead I have DLL's in a alpha/numeric order spread throughout the VERY long list of System32 components. Which brought me to another question : how the hell do you "uninstall" these DirectX files to ensure you load a nice clean version on your PC? To me it just looks like chaos!

I do thank you VERY much for your help as I understand that, in the infinite confusion that can be a MS OS, my problem may be up a cul-de-sac somewhere.

My thanks and my respect.

Roger

But, Ver.9 was really for XP and I have Vista x64, I should - ideally - be using Ver.10 . . . and aren't the versions meant to be backward compatible?
No, they are separate programs and run alongside each other. DirectX 9.0c is for and supported on much more than just XP:
Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3
The game looks for the exact filenames like d3dx9_41.dll , which as you can see is DirectX 9 (version 41) only. When I search for d3dx9_41.dll on my machine I get exactly one hit , in the system32 directory itself. It's 5,425,496 bytes, file version 9.26.952.2844 , date modified 9/3/2009 .

I simply cannot understand how that file can be in your system32 and yet the game cannot find it. Every other person running the game has and needs that file, and they find it just fine. Could you have some AV or other security software getting in the way?

Sorry for delay in responding, had minor issue with how BIOS saw my HDD's - fixed - and unfortunately had nothing to do with this DLL.

From your facts on the DLL my PC may not have the right DLL. Remembering that a Utility I use - FileMenu Tools - had a "register DLL" option I tried that and, on right click got the following : (The module "C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_41.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "C:\Windows\System32\d3dx9_41.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again).

Checking the figures listed within System32 for that DLL it shows : 5299 kb, application extension, created 09/03/2099 15:27.

No file version here BUT a slight difference in size? This is beginning to look like I do have a d3dx9_41.dll but the PC can't see it and I may of "loaded" it incorrectly.

So, I remember an option of the full pack the contained this one file was to launch it's executable file and load ALL of X_9 . . . . would this be the correct fix or is there another way?

My thanks for your continued support.

Roger