• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pequod

Sergeant
98 Badges
May 3, 2005
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Everyday Combat - A Communist China AAR

ChinaFlag.jpg

This is a Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi AAR played as Communist China. I’m using DiDay’s ICE mod, version 2.1.4.1 with the difficulty set at Normal. I’ve tried playing this setup three times before but each was met with failure around the time of the Japanese invasion. I’ve decided to start documenting my efforts and will not stop until I can secure victory for the Party!

I’ll be going for a mixed style of updates. Some will be of the history book variation while others will be more gamey strategy reports and then to spice things up I might throw in some personal accounts. Updates will be on a “whenever I can” basis, but I’ll try and do at least one a week. I’m starting university up again soon in a few weeks, but we’ll see if I finish before then.

Update to follow shortly, this post reserved for indexing.

Chapter 1: The Long March

The People’s Liberation Army’s retreat to Northern China defined the Chinese Communist Party’s struggle against Nationalist forces and solidified Mao Zedong as the de facto leader of the Communist Party in China. The Long March, as it was called after the fact, was a 12,500km trek through some of China’s most inhospitable terrain by the Chinese communist forces. Roughly one tenth of the force that began the retreat reached communist strongholds in the northern province of Shaanxi, near Yan’an. Hot on their heels was the Nationalist Chinese forces, the Kuomintang.
The Long March began in October 1934 and ended in October of 1936. A spy placed in the Kuomintang headquarters warned communist forces of an oncoming attack on the communist capital at Ruijin. Facing annihilation, communist leadership decided to withdraw to the north to regroup with other communist forces in Shaanxi.

CommunistChinaJan1936.jpg

The situation on Jan 1st, 1936 is pretty bleak. Communist China is surrounded with a very powerful Nationalist China to the south. The KMT is by far the biggest threat to CPC forces. My IC is at a whopping 12 and I have a severe shortage of energy. I have 3.5 leadership which I pump into my spy network, then to officers, then finally to research projects. To make matters worth, within the week Nationalist China declares war.

My army is mostly militia, with a few infantry and two divisions of mountain troops. I decide to invade Tongchuan and find the Nationalists units are all very low on organization. They must still be mobilizing.

BattleofXianJan1936.jpg

Battle for Xi’an​

Everything is going well. My army is very strong compared to the Nationalists and I make great gains, the most important being in Xi’an, which has 1 IC and because I have claims on all of Nationalist China I get the full benefit of the resources there. This’ll increase my IC to 15, now if I can only find some energy…

ExpansionbyEndofJan1936.jpg

Gains after first month.

Then disaster strikes. It seems the regular KMT forces have finally arrived. My militias will be no match for National regulars, never mind the tanks the Germans sent them.

DefendingExpansionFed1936Xianyang.jpg

Nationalists strike back with infantry divisions from the regular army, along with German tanks.​

CatastropheatTongchuanApril1936.jpg

Catastrophe at Tongchuan! The Communist capital, Yu’an, is left practically undefended. Nationalist forces are only a few miles from the city and communist forces are quickly rushed in to defend.​

AprilLosses1936.jpg

The Communists are sent reeling in the face of overwhelming Kuomintang forces. All the previous months gains are lost in addition to previously CPC held territory.​

SituationEndofApril1936.jpg

Communist forces fall back to defend the capital as Nationalist forces advance. The mountainous terrain proves too much for the KMT to overcome and the lines hold, but just barely. By April of 1936 the lines stabilize and the front becomes eerily quite.

The rest of 1936 is a standoff. The KMT tries numerous attacks into CPC territory but to no avail. Every time they attack they are met with fresh CPC forces from neighboring provinces. I finish my intelligence buildup during this time and then focus on raising the threat of Xibie San Ma in preparation for future conflict. After I have ten spies there I begin my research, concentrating on People’s Army doctrine, industry, and infantry, in that order. The plan is to hold out long enough for the Japanese to declare war on China. This happens in July of 1937. I also begin construction of a few more militia divisions.

WarwithJapanJuly11937.jpg

Japanese Invasion of China begins, July 1937​

I gain some territory and war with the Nationalists is over. This is good and bad. Good because I’m not at war with the Nationalists anymore but bad because now all my IC is going towards consumer goods and not guns. The plan is to either go to war with Japan or neighboring Xibei San Ma. Preferably I’d go to war with Xibei, but if the Nationalists look like they’re losing badly I’ll declare war on Japan and see if I can’t help them out. I need Japan and the Nationals to duke it out for as long as possible while I grab up all the Chinese warlords.

JapaneseInvasionEndJuly1937.jpg

The Japanese Invasion, late July 1937, three weeks after the war began. Nationalist forces scramble around Communist territory to get to the front as quickly as possible. My plan is to let them fight each other while I conquer Xibei.​

The story thus far! Comments are welcome! I'm loading up the game right now and will hopefully play through until 1938. It's not too late for strategy input, Lord knows I'm going to need it.

Tricky set up. Don't U think a slow war versus Xibei San Ma to keep you on war economy for as long as possible - but without losing to much men - would be the best? There aint much to gain when it comes to resourses or leadership, but it gives you the posibility to build up a strong army before a war versus either Nationalist China or Japan. Or do you need peace (and money) to trade?

That is the plan, however my neutrality settings make this difficult. It looks like I won't be able to declare war until the end of 1938 at the earliest, probably more like early,mid 1939. I can't even declare war on the Japanese! But yes, war is preferable to peace at this moment in time, and I'll make it so just as soon as my spies to their work.

I'll post an update later today.

Chapter 2: A Name on the Map

Chapter 2: A Name on the Map

JapaneseInvasion-1.jpg
Artist's depiction of the Imperial Japanese Army invading China.​

On July 7th, 1937, Japan began an invasion of mainland China. The Nationalist Chinese, having fought to exhaustion against the communists in the north, were hard pressed to rush to defend against the Japanese onslaught from the north. One month after the invasion began Kuomintang forces were losing ground in the north at an alarming rate. To make matters worse the Japanese began landing troops on the eastern coast.

Aug14JapInvasion1937.jpg
The situation second week of August, 1937.​

By the end of October the situation was deteriorating very quickly.

JapInvasionOct1937.jpg
Japanese advance by the end of October, 1937.​

On December 16th elements of the Imperial Japanese Army entered Nanking after a month long siege of the city. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Nationalists cannot stop the Japanese. It’s only a matter of time before they succumb. This is bad news for the communists. Once the Nationalists fall, who’s to say the Japanese won’t come after them next?

JapInvasionNankingFallsDec16th1937-1.jpg

The fall of Nanking

Meanwhile, Mao Zedong planned to seize the opportunity of the Nationalists being distracted and began planning for an invasion of neighboring Xibei San Ma. Spies had infiltrated that nation the year before and the time was drawing near for Mao to put his plans into action. His plan was remarkably simple: the communist hordes of militia would swarm over the border and overwhelm all resistance, seizing valuable resources in the process. Communist China was facing the very real possibility of completely running out of energy within the year if things did not improve.

InvasionPlans1937.jpg

The 4. Fangmainjun, Li Xiannian commanding, is the first to attack at Lianzhen. The 1. Fangmainjun under Chen Yi invades Shizuishan. Both attacks are successful but not without considerable casualties for both sides.

The Xibei San Ma campaign went according to plan. Chinese forces advanced quickly after breaking the initial resistance of Xibei forces. That isn’t to say Chinese forces didn’t encounter resistance. The battle for Shizuishan was the second engagement of the war but the costliest. The CPC suffered 5,000 killed during that single battle alone. Early Chinese tactics boiled down to mass human waves of soldiers charging forward and overwhelming the defense. This would be a staple of CPC attacks during the war; CPC military doctrine dictated so. However, as it would become apparent to Party leadership during future conflicts, such recklessness with soldier’s lives creates a serious shortage of manpower.

XibeiInvasions1stwave-1.jpg

Chinese forces battling Xibei San Ma forces during the opening battles of the war; the fighting at Shizuishan would last the better part of a month and cost the CPC over 3,000 in casualties.​

Major combat operations had ended after the battle of Darlag, with a CPC victory despite over a thousand dead in the mountain passes. Fighting in the Gobi was surprisingly scarce and the communists were relieved to traverse the wasteland as quickly as possible. By 10th July of 1938 Xibei surrendered to communist forces.

While the communists were making gains in the north, the nationalists were in dire straits in the south. Japanese forces continued to drive them back and during March the Kuomintang changed capitals three times. On May 14th Japan seized the last seat of Kuomintang power, effectively ending organized Nationalist resistance. Small bands of partisans would continue to harass the Japanese for the duration of their occupation. That front would be particularly brutal.

As Mao and the CPC braced for the Japanese war declaration the Japanese offered an unexpected olive branch by offering transit rights into Japanese occupied China. Mao took the offer, but only if because it gave a somewhat guarantee that Japan would not invade CPC territory, at least for the time being. This uneasy assurance of peace with Japan gave Mao the security he needed to go ahead with his next invasion.

JapanesePoliticaldevelopments1938-1.jpg
Japanese political developments after the fall of National China. Japanese influence threatens CPC membership in the Comintern.

NameontheMap2-1.jpg
Communist territories after the defeat of Xibei San Ma. For the first time the name Communist China appears on maps.​

The victory over Xibei was an immense boon for Mao and the Party. It solidified communist control of the north and secured valuable resources for industry along with giving the People’s Liberation Army invaluable combat experience. If communism was to rule China it would be installed at the tip of a bayonet. Japan remained a formidable force within the region and future conflict between the PLA and IJA was inevitable. Mao knew that every advantage must be secured before the conflict with Japan.

By November of 1938 the energy crisis was becoming serious, despite having secured more resources with the invasion of Xibei. It was simply not enough. The CPC traded extensively with Persia, and Saudi Arabia for energy, but the supply was small and came in fits. A more stable source would have to be acquired if the CPC was to succeed in driving Japan from the mainland. So, with all of 17 days stockpile left, Mao invaded Yunnan to the south.

YunnanInvasion-1.jpg
Chinese invasion of Yunnan.​

The invasion of Yunnan by the CPC lasted from November 12th, 1938 until June 16th 1939. While considerably shorter than the Xibei campaign it was more costly, with about 13,000 killed. This is in comparison to the 8,000 killed during fighting with the Xibei. More than half of the losses during the Yunnan campaign were the result of two battles: the Battle at Wengshui Crossing and the Battle of Chuxiong Pass.

The fighting near Wengshui Crossing was a month long attempt by the CPC to cross the river that defined the border between the two nations. The CPC underestimated the amount of force required to take the crossing, resulting in heavy losses. The battle was also the spearheading attack on a CPC thrust to cut off Yunnan forces at the border. However, because the battle to take the river crossing took longer than anticipated most of the Yunnan army was able to withdraw and escape encirclement.

Despite the frustrating delay at Wengshui Crossing CPC forces eventually managed to push back the Yunnan army to the narrow mountain pass of Chuxiong. Chuxiong was the only avenue to the Yunnanese capital, Kunming, and it was here that they made their last stand. The CPC paid for every meter of ground with blood as the Yunnan army fought for their very survival. When it was finally over there were over 10,000 killed on both sides. Chuxiong Pass was the costliest battle the CPC fought thus far, with an estimated 6,000 killed. When the PLA broke through at Chuxiong Kinmang fell shortly thereafter on June 16th, 1939, ending the war altogether.

The defeat of Yunnan by the CPC extended Mao’s influence even more and secured much needed energy sources. The CPC was running a positive energy balance for the first time. However, invading Yunnan had a dual purpose. Yunnan extended the front with Japan considerably and most of that border was left undefended by the Japanese. From a staging ground in Kunming, it is hoped that PLA forces could quickly overwhelm IJA elements there and secure the rich provinces of southern China.

After the defeat of Yunnan there was one more warlord Mao had his sights on. The invasion of Sinkiang was the quickest and most efficient compared to the previous invasions. It lasted only a month with less than a thousand killed while quadrupling that number for Sinkiang.

CPCAfterOct1939.jpg
Communist territory after the fall of Sinkiang.​

Casualties1938_939.jpg

Major battles of the PLA from 1938-1938
-----------------------------------------------------

That's it so far. The plan is to build up as much as I can and then hit the Japanese with everything I've got. I've run out of neighbors to invade. I briefly thought about waiting for my neutrality to dip to levels where I could invade French Indochina but dismissed that idea quickly when I realized I'd be at war with the Allies and therefore Great Britain. All my newly conquered territory would be for nothing when the Gurkhas came storming over the Himalayas.

Reactions:
nicely done, if your only goal is to unite china I would say to bide your time till the allies are at war with all the axis so japan is occupied with trying to take india then you can strike but it even looks like to gain control of china you will need to land on mainland japan due to all the VPs they have now and you might not even get the annex! oh crap! well gl anyway

Unification of China a goal, yes, but it is not the only one. My long term goal is complete world domination by the Comintern! :D And I've realized that I probably won't be able to defeat Japan proper until much later, but I can at least kick them off the mainland until I can get a fleet large enough to invade the home islands. The more I look at the Japanese army on the mainland the more uneasy I get. On paper my army looks alright, but most of it is militia and I have no air force to speak of nor do I have any armor (not really that important in China, but still.)

As a tentative plan though, I would agree. Wait until Japan is at war with the US before beginning reunification.

EDIT: As a side note, does anyone have a way to get a table onto the forums? I recorded all the battles in an excel spreadsheet thinking I could copy it over using google docs or something but no dice. I plan on keeping a running tally to see just how costly the war is going to be.

I thought about invading Tibet but it has no resources, just a VP.

I have encountered a problem and need some help. My armies are now being supplied out of Weifang, a province in Nationalist China on the coast, now in Japanese control instead of my capital at Yu'an. My armies are now completely out of supply and I do not know why this is happening. Anyone know of a solution to this?

I thought about invading Tibet but it has no resources, just a VP.

I have encountered a problem and need some help. My armies are now being supplied out of Weifang, a province in Nationalist China on the coast, now in Japanese control instead of my capital at Yu'an. My armies are now completely out of supply and I do not know why this is happening. Anyone know of a solution to this?

Way to go PI and your Screwed and Buggy supply system you might have just ruined a good AAR:mad:

Is Weifang your 'new' capital now? May be you can edit a saved game.

BTW, take a screen pic of it, otherwise people would argue you hadn't understand how supply works... ;)

interesting aar so far.

Victory! From what I can tell the problem stemmed from transit rights agreements. Because I had a transit right agreement with Japan, for some reason my armies were trying to draw supply out of Weifang. I loaded up the game as Japan and sure enough, the Japanese forces were drawing supply from Weifang. So I canceled the agreement then my armies tried to draw supply from Moscow! I had a transit right agreement with the USSR too, so I canceled that too along with every other transit agreement I had. The supply situation corrected itself after that. However, all my divisions were completely out of org and some had lost as much as 10% of their strength. Good news though: The AAR will continue!

I managed to get a nice session in last night and will post an update soon (I'll be pretty not-busy at work today). The war with Japan is...intense, to say the least. hehe:D

Chapter 3: The Great Struggle Begins

Chapter 3: The Great Struggle Begins​

Chinese_Soldiers_WWII.gif
Chinese infantry moments before they began to attack Japanese forces.

After the fall of Yunnan in the summer of 1939, the CPC set out to reap the fruits of its labor, as it were. Mao called for rapid expansion of the Army in addition to putting emphasis on improving agriculture and industrial practices. The Chairman has his sights on wrestling control of China away from Japan and to do that he needs an army.

In order to build his Army Mao needed supplies, weapons, and ammunition. He obtained these from the Soviet Union, who warmed up to the CPC after the defeat of the Xibei and by 1940 were supplying the CPC with enough energy to run the factories around the clock. Soviet help would be instrumental in the expansion of the PLA.

For most of the latter half of 1939 and the first nine months of 1940 the CPC was at peace. Rifles were stacked, ammunition stockpiled and supply depots established. Creation of new infantry divisions was slow going because of the inability of the CPC to devote a large majority of its industry to civilian purposes.

When the CPC declared war on Tibet it shocked the world. Tibet was a very neutral power and had no resources of note. The CPC did not respond to accusations of warmongering and likening to Nazi Germany. Germany had by this point invaded Poland, annexed both Austria and Czechoslovakia, and was in the process of overrunning the Low Countries. Nevertheless, PLA elements entered Tibet on September 6th of 1940 and by November of that year the small nation had fallen.

TibetExpansion.jpg
Extent of CPC expansions by 1941.

The Allies Under Siege: The Fall of Free Europe

PoliticalDevelopments1.jpg

EuropeanDiplomacy1941-1942.jpg

Political developments of the Allies/Europe

While the PLA was fighting in Tibet, the Wehrmach was overrunning Europe. Hitler’s hordes seemed unstoppable. Poland fell in September of 1939, then came Denmark. 1940 saw the surrender of Belgium, the Netherlands, and Norway. France surrendered on December 15th, 1940 after Paris was subjected to over a month long siege. By January of 1941 the Germans had crossed the channel and were invading Great Britain, the last bastion of democracy in Europe. On February 25th, 1941, London succumbed to the German onslaught. The resilient British kept fighting for another four months on their isle, making the Germans pay for every inch of ground.

A German soldier found this letter near the corpse of one Sergeant James Crowe somewhere outside London:

February 23rd, 1941

My own beloved wife,

I do not know how to start this letter. The circumstances are different from any under which I ever wrote before. I am not to post it but will leave it in my pocket, if anything happens to me someone will perhaps post it. Only God in Heaven knows how it came to this.

I am in his hands and whatever happens I will look to him in this world and the world to come. If I am called my regret is that I leave you and the children. I go to Him with your dear face the last vision on earth I shall see and your name upon my lips, you the best of women. You will look after by Darling children for me and tell them how their daddy died.

Oh! How I love you all and as I sit here waiting I wonder what you are doing at home. I must not do that. It is hard enough sitting waiting. They may come at any moment. When this reaches you for me there will be no more war, only eternal peace and waiting for you.

It is a legacy of struggle for you but God will look after you and we shall meet again when there will be no more parting. I am to write no more sweetheart… Kiss the children for me once more. I dare not think of them my Darlings.

Goodbye, you best of women and best of wives, my beloved sweetheart. May God in his mercy look over you and bless you all… May he in that same mercy preserve me today. Eternal love from

Yours for evermore
Jim

Soon after the defeat of the last remnants of British forces present on the isle Hitler formed the British Union, a fascist puppet regime, to pacify the populace and bring them under the German jackboot.

FallofFreeEurope.jpg

Europe under the Nazis

After Germany began its invasion of the Soviet Union on June 22nd, 1941, Mao realized that the time for war with Japan was nearing. He quickly made plans to be at war with Japan by 1942. On December 7th, 1941 Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, resulting in the United States finally entering the conflict on the side of the Allies. Whether the United States entry into the conflict is too little too late has yet to be seen. Either way, another distraction for Japan is welcomed news for Mao and the CPC.

USSRConditionearly1942.jpg
Extent of German invasion of the USSR shortly after the CPC joins the Comintern.​

On January 22nd, 1942, Mao throws in the CPC’s lot with the Comintern and begins the reunification of China. The main goal for 1942 is to secure the western area of China along with former Guangxi Clique territories in the south.

AmbitiousCPCInvasiongoalsfor19422.jpg
CPC invasion goals for 1942 for the North.

AmbitiousCPCinvasiongoalsfor1942.jpg
CPC invasion plans for the South.​

As with all plans, few survive the test of combat.

Looks like Russia (and the Allies) will need your help... Best of luck!

Just letting everyone know I'm still here, just been pretty busy. I'm going to be out of town until Thursday.

Mini update:
I have played about 6 months into 1942. It's tough going. To be honest I don't know if I can win this, I think I started the war too early, I"m going to run out of manpower really really soon and then the game is up. About 4 of my divisions were completely obliterated (strength to 0!) in the first few weeks. I'm having trouble keeping up offensives because of the organization regen is sllllooow. Anyone know what affects org regen? I know it's something to do with infrastructure, but infrastructure in western China is horrible, so is there any other way I could improve it? I'm usually getting something like .05 regen/hour, so it takes almost 2 months for my units to regen completely.

Anyone know what affects org regen? I know it's something to do with infrastructure, but infrastructure in western China is horrible, so is there any other way I could improve it?

The easiest way is to improve your officer ratio. And you could also try increasing the morale of your units through doctrines, but this takes time.

where has Mao gone? :(