• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zaku

Panzer General
94 Badges
Aug 7, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • 500k Club
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Sengoku
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • BATTLETECH
Mit kíván a magyar nemzet. - Vicky 2 Hungary AAR

"Mit kíván a magyar nemzet.
Legyen béke, szabadság és egyetértés."

"What the Hungarian nation wishes for.
Let it be peace, freedom and amity."

Welcome!

My choice of nation for this AAR is Hungary of course, and since there is no 1848 campaign in the game I will have to mod her in. I will start as a satelite of Austria and around '48 I will delete the satelite status, and DOW them to simulate the revolution. (I'm too lazy to write events, this solution is easier then the historical one)

Home rules: No exploits, no cheats. I may mod the save game, but only for flavor. I will also mod the names of the leaders, ships, partys etc.
I'm also using Shauf's rebel and assimilation nerfs. Thanks to him for those.

Goals: win the revolution, and become at least a second rate nation. If I can archive Great Power status, that's even better. I plan to play trought the full timeline, but only if it will be challenging. If I'm no1 by 1880s then I'll finish the AAR there.

Appendix​

Last edited:
Chapter I.

Industry and Agriculture:

First let's see how are the things are looking for us.
As you can see on the picture above, Hungary is an agriculutal country. Most of our products are grain, fruit, wool and cattle. On the bright side we have a quite big coal processing in Felvidék and a small iron mine in our only coastal province.

Artisans are fabricating weapons and ammo for our - soon to be trained - "Honvédség" (National Guard)

Nothing to be really excited about, but this is a good start.

Budget:

Our budget is actually pretty good, because of the relatively large population, and the high taxes. Rich taxes are cut down, because I need my capitalists to start building as soon as they can. Education is maxed because our literacy is low at 13%. That +43 pounds is quite misleading, because I will soon start to train the Honvédség, I predict we will end in somewhere around 20.000 pounds in debt when we are finished.

I may raise the rich taxes later, if I need more money. Then the industrialization wil have to wait until I win the revolution.

Technology:

I will start by researching Ideologial thoughts, the +plurality will help us greatly in researching the future techs. After that it will be 70% army and 30% commerce technologies until 48, because we will need the money and the modern army to beat the Habsburgs and aquire freedom. Our daily research points are 2.37, but it will rise as soon as plurality rises. I estimate we will have it around 6-7/day in a few years.

Politics and diplomacy:

We are an absolute monarchy for the time being without any political or social reforms under the Habsburg emperor. The leading party in the parliment is the conservative Freedom Party with majority of the votes.
As for diplomacy, we are a satelite nation so we don't have any. If we manage to break free, my main diplomatic objective will be to archeive haegemony on the balkans.

Don't ask me whats the 5% anarcho liberal is. I dont even have an anarcho liberal party yet.

Population:

Now this is where it gets interesting. Our main workforce is more then 4 million people, but only 40% is hungarian of that. Our main objective will be to assimilate the rest of these people. I'm using a mod, so it will be slower then in vanilia vicky2. The religion is also quite mixed, with only 52% chatolic. At least most of the pops agree, that conservativism is the best way to go.

Military:

We will need to completly build up the National Guard as have 0/14 brigades and 10 reserve regiments. 14 brigades are not enough, but our military spending is at max 75% so more will be avalible. I think we'll need around 20-30 brigades to defeat Austria.

Overall:

Our nation is quite strong, and she has potencial to become a regional power if we can shake the Habsburg shackles.

The map of the Austrian Empire(white) and the Kingdom of Hungary(yellow)

Last edited:
Chapter II.

Before I begin, let me state: I'm not a powergamer. I will probably go easy on the computer, and not going to do things it cannot counter. So no mass colonization with troops, no mass industrialization, etc. I will also try to add variety to the AAR, so sometimes it will be a gameplay, and sometimes a roleplay AAR etc.
Lets begin then.

The poor old bugger doesn't know yet, its not his gold its MY gold. I know you have taken some give it back! Well this was a lucky start for me 20 pounds income is booked. BTW what happened with the silver and gold mines in transylvania? All it produces is wool and grain.

Well nevermind, back to the AAR. The National guard began it's training in May. 30000 Honvéds were enlisted, about 20000 was hungarian, the rest was minority. There was an order for 4 artillery regiments, but the ministery of defense couldn't get a hold of cannons, as there was 4x bigger demand for them in the world market then the weapon manufactories could produce. The first cannons arrived in Budapest in 1837 december. By 1839 the Honvédség consisted of 38000 line-infantry, 12000 light cavalry and 400 cannons.
Thanks to the high budget, 150-180 additional pops enlisted every day, so the army can grow bigger even more in the future.

On the industrial side everything is going slowly but good. Since I have only an interventionalist and a lassiez faire party avalible, there is nothing I can do besides lowering the rich taxes. To be honest, I could use a state capitalist party, but I'm NOT putting a reactionary party to power since they are against every reform, and the rebels would eat me.
The first hungarian factory is... well what else, a liqour factory. Drunkard bastards I need rifles and ammo to fight the revolution not hard drinks. The second one is even worse: canned food factory, they are the biggest money sinks in the game.

Well what can you do. I turned off the subsidies and suprisingly it is still in buisness 10 years later with 0,5-1 pounds profit. The liqour factory is making 8-10/day. A third(clothes iirc) factory was also built, but my lassiez faire govmt closed it down preety quickly. Well thats 3 free factory and 2 making profit, not bad. Do not look a gift horse in the teeth.

A few words on politics.
I switched to a liberal party, the Deák párt. Lassiez faire means my capitalist can build factories faster and because I never subsidize factories making a deficit, interventinalism has no meaning. So after I switched partys my militancy raised(a few minority events also raised it) and I could enact a reform this early in the game! What could it be other then healthcare? Raised pop growth is best to have as early as posible

Random events are nice to have. One bad and one not so good/time will tell type.

I like the pants down text.
I alsho had at least a dozen of minority events too, most of them gave militancy to the minorities. Well I won't complain, they helped me enact the healthcare reform.

On the tech race everything is going well.

I also researched muzzle rifles by the end of 48(forgot to take screenie), so everything is ready to wage a war againt the worlds 6th biggest power. Not only that she has the same military power as us, she also has a few strong(bavaria for example) and lots of weak allies. Well it doesn't matter, I should dominate the battlefield with my advanced technologies.

Last edited:
Nice! I am going to follow it. It's sad you have the flag with the smaller coat of arms instead of the big one with Croatia, Transylvania, etc. especially when you have all the land represented by the bigger crest.

coa_large.gif

This one is so beautiful!

BTW I would leave the Balkans alone and go for north Africa and Suez, and make Hungary a colonial power. She needs those resources so bad.

Welcome all of you

Fiftypence: Thanks, I'll try.:)

Herbert West: We have a kaiser for the moment :(

von Rypp: True that mural is really beautyful.
The hungarian flag for this era should be this one:

It is hard to implement a teethed(how do you call these flags in english?) flag in a round background we have in vicky 2. Probably thats why Pdox decided to use the good old tricolor:)
I will think about north africa, I want some smaller colonies but not until I'm sure I can protect them with my fleet. Until then I'll have to take my revenge on the ottoman horde :) There are some nice iron provinces in bosnia, coal in romania, later some oil. My other option would be Austrian Ukraine but I don't want a shared border with Russia. On the other hand uncivs to the east are so easy prey... :) Its a big dilemma

Last edited:
Good luck ! And teach the Austrians a lesson that they will never forget ! :D

Good luck ! And teach the Austrians a lesson that they will never forget ! :D

Thank you, welcome to the AAR.

On a different note, I'm beggining to get annoyed by lassiez faire. Capitalist AI really needs some rework. They build factories with deficit, and when they manage to build a good one, they shut it down as soon as it is finished. Well this is how it is for now, I wonder if it will be better in late game.

On a different note, I'm beggining to get annoyed by lassiez faire. Capitalist AI really needs some rework. They build factories with deficit, and when they manage to build a good one, they shut it down as soon as it is finished. Well this is how it is for now, I wonder if it will be better in late game.

I had a quite similar experience with them.
Very low taxes and a lot of commercial techs (banks and so on) could help them though.

Karaiskandar: We'll see because I want a self sutstaining economy. In my last game as Sweden I realised: subsidizing factories are bad. It only means you will have a big industrial score, but you are a paper tiger because you make huge deficits that way. I think subsidies are good when you mobilize for war, and have plenty of money to support the economy for a few years, or when you want to keep a big factory(lv3+) from being shut down because of a bad year.

Garudamon11: Welcome to the AAR.
Which one? :) We had like 10 during our 900 years as a kingdom :)

By the way, update will come later today or tomorrow. There will be blood and explosions, so be sure to check back. ;)

Last edited:
Karaiskandar: We'll see because I want a self sutstaining economy. In my last game as Sweden I realised: subsidizing factories are bad. It only means you will have a big industrial score, but you are a paper tiger because you make huge deficits that way. I think subsidies are good when you mobilize for war, and have plenty of money to support the economy for a few years, or when you want to keep a big factory(lv3+) from being shut down because of a bad year.

Oh yes I see, costly strategy, and because I'm always short of funds definitely not for me ! :D

Hi,
Here's some possbile ship names I came up with. Use them freely. If you extend it, please post it here, so I'll could use it too.

I didn't give specific names to transports (why should, when you'll propaply will buil a lot of them) or sailboats, because I think when you gonna need a big navy as Hungary you'll be already well in the steamer era.

Code:
unit_names = {

dreadnought = {
	"Szent István" "II. István" "III. István" "IV. István" "V. István" "I. Béla" "II. Béla" "III. Béla" "IV. Béla" "I.András" "II.András" "III. András" "Géza" "Szent Imre" "Szent Gellért" "Szent Erzsébet" "Szent Anna" "Szent Margit" "Szent László" "Könyves Kálmán" "Nagy Lajos" "Károly Róbert" "Hunyadi János"  "Hunyadi Mátyás" "Rákóczi Ferenc" "Bethlen Gábor" "Dózsa György" "Kossuth Lajos" "Széchenyi István" "Bem József" "Thököly Imre" "Esze Tamás" "Deák Ferenc" "Vak Bottyán" "Kinizsi Pál" "Dobó István" "Zrínyi Miklós" "Szapolyai János" 
	}
	cruiser = {
	Győzelem Diadal Villám Mennydörgés Vihar Aranyszarvas Szabadság Egyenlőség Testvériség Szentháromság Balsors Rettegett Rémület Szentlélek Fennséges Sebezhetetlen Hódító Bosszúálló Hatalmas Dicsőséges Hazafi Sas Sólyom Albatrosz Katedrális Holló Héja Oroszlán Farkas Cápa Tigris Mártír Buda Pest Győr Pécs Sopron Szombathely Zalaegerszeg Kaposvár Szigetvár Szekszárd Székesfehérvár Komárom Esztergom Nyitra Pozsony Trencsén Zsolna Beszterce Debrecen Nyíregyháza Békéscsaba Gyula Miskolc Hatvan Eger Gyöngyös Szolnok Cegléd Szeged Zombor Szabadka Újvidék Nagybecskerek Temesvár Resicabánya Karánsebes Déva Arad Nagyvárad Szatmár Kolozsvár Máramarossziget Gyulafehérvár Békéscsaba Eszék Zágráb Fehérvár Csáktornya Nagyszeben Brassó Fiume Fehérvár Zára Spalató Károlyvár Istvánvár Munkács Ungvár Eperjes Kassa Ózd Zemplén Kecskemét Baja Veszprém Várpalota Keszthely Visegrád Nagykanizsa Marosvásárhely Nándorfehérvár Zágráb Eszék Fiume Lukácsbánya Szarajvár Zeng Zára Csáktornya
	}
	monitor = {
	Kárpátia Erdély Pannónia Felvidék Alföld Dalmácia Isztria Illíria Havasalföld Rácföld Mezőség Hortobágy Bakony Mátra Tátra Fátra Vértes Mecsek Viharsarok Bánát Bácska Szerém Olténia Munténia Buda Pest Győr Pécs Sopron Szombathely Zalaegerszeg Kaposvár Szigetvár Szekszárd Székesfehérvár Komárom Esztergom Nyitra Pozsony Trencsén Zsolna Beszterce Debrecen Nyíregyháza Békéscsaba Gyula Miskolc Hatvan Eger Gyöngyös Szolnok Cegléd Szeged Zombor Szabadka Újvidék Nagybecskerek Temesvár Resicabánya Karánsebes Déva Arad Nagyvárad Szatmár Kolozsvár Máramarossziget Gyulafehérvár Békéscsaba Eszék Zágráb Fehérvár Csáktornya Nagyszeben Brassó Fiume Fehérvár Zára Spalató Károlyvár Istvánvár Munkács Ungvár Eperjes Kassa Ózd Zemplén Kecskemét Baja Veszprém Várpalota Keszthely Visegrád Nagykanizsa Marosvásárhely Nándorfehérvár Zágráb Eszék Fiume Lukácsbánya Szarajvár Zeng Zára Csáktornya
	}
	ironclad = {
	Aranybulla Árpád Álmos Turulmadár Magyar Harcos Katona Nemzetőr Hajdú Kuruc Huszár Pandúr Herceg Hercegnő Lovag Keresztes Apostol Betyár Előd Ond Kond Tas Huba Töhötöm Őrs Búlcsú Kund Lehel Szabolcs Gyula Nyék Megyer Gyarmat Tarján Kér Keszi Békés Vas Kürt
	}
	commerce_raider = {
	Duna Tisza Dráva Száva Ipoly Olt Maros Körös Zagyva Galga Szamos Bodrog Hernád Sajó Sió Zala Rába Rábca Drina Balaton Berettyó	
	}
	steam_transport = {

}
	manowar = {

}
	frigate = {

}
	clipper_transport = {

}
}

Also here are some "compromise" decisions for Hungary. If you "make" them ingame they'll add the culture as an accepted culture.
Advantages: accepted culture give less rebellions, could recruit them in the army
Disadvantages: as far as I know accepted cultures don't assimilate and they don't contribute to the national focus

When making theese I had the conquest of the Balkans in mind, so the "compromiseable" cultures are:slovak, slovene, croat, serb, romanian, bulgarian, greek, albanian
I have set the decision to be only alllowed if you own the "capital" of the said culture. (Zagreb, Belgrade, Bucharest, etc.) But before expanding intro the Balkans I'd suggest assimilating as many pops as possible. Try to take Tunisia and/or Lybia from the Ottomans, they are an easy target barely defended and provide a base for the Scramble for Africa.

Code:
political_decisions = {
	compromise_with_croats = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = croat_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 771
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = croat
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = croat
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = croat_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_slovaks = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = slovak_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 633
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = slovak
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = slovak
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = slovak_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_slovenes = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = slovene_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 768
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = slovene
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = slovene
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = slovene_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_serbs = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = serb_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 794
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = serb
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = serb
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = serb_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_romans = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = romanian_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 664
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = romanian
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = romanian
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = romanian_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_albanians = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = albanian_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 849
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = albanian
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = albanian
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = albanian_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_bulgarians = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = bulgarian_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 809
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = bulgarian
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = bulgarian
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = bulgarian_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
	compromise_with_greeks = {
		potential = {
			NOT = {
			has_country_flag = greek_compromise
			}
			tag = HUN
		}

allow = {
		owns = 805
		year = 1840
		}

effect = {

any_pop = {
				limit = {
					culture = greek
				}
				militancy = -5
				consciousness = -5
			}
			add_accepted_culture = greek
			prestige = 5
			set_country_flag = greek_compromise
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 1
		}
	}
}

Last edited:
Hi,
Here's some possbile ship names I came up with. Use them freely. If you extend it, please post it here, so I'll could use it too.

I didn't give specific names to transports (why should, when you'll propaply will buil a lot of them) or sailboats, because I think when you gonna need a big navy as Hungary you'll be already well in the steamer era.

Also here are some "compromise" decisions for Hungary. If you "make" them ingame they'll add the culture as an accepted culture.
Advantages: accepted culture give less rebellions, could recruit them in the army
Disadvantages: as far as I know accepted cultures don't assimilate and they don't contribute to the national focus

When making theese I had the conquest of the Balkans in mind, so the "compromiseable" cultures are:slovak, slovene, croat, serb, romanian, bulgarian, greek, albanian
I have set the decision to be only alllowed if you own the "capital" of the said culture. (Zagreb, Belgrade, Bucharest, etc.) But before expanding intro the Balkans I'd suggest assimilating as many pops as possible. Try to take Tunisia and/or Lybia from the Ottomans, they are an easy target barely defended and provide a base for the Scramble for Africa.

Welcome.

Thanks, You just saved me a half hour of writing with the ship names. :)
As for the events, I think assimilating is better then accepted culture. Hungary is a big country, and I need all my national focus to industralize. Thanks anyway.

North africa is on low priority right now, but I have plans for expanding there. The infamy system is quite a limiting factor in this game.

Chapter III

1848 February 2.

The Kingdom of Hungary decleares it’s independence, the Austrian Empire mobilizes her web of alliances response. Both nations begin to mobilize the military reserves.

The strength of the Honvédség is 15000 light Cavalry, 36000 line infantry, and 400 cannons with 12000 crew and auxiliary members. Another 39000 line infantry were also mobilised from the lower classes.

Most of the troops were deployed near Sopron, with only a few regiments protecting the Ukranian and Polish borders. 12000 men were left in Budapest as a strategic reserve. The plan was to protect the northern and eastern border with smaller forces, while trying to grind up the Austrian - German army to the west.

The efforts of the 30s and early 40s were not in vain. When mobilized, the Honvédség was the 5th strongerst army in the world. The combined Austrian - South German army was outclassing the ours by 1.4 though. The first movement on the border began on February 10. Austrian general Ernst von Haynau began to march his army to "crush the rebel rabble." He arrived in Eindstandt on February 19. where the First Honvéd Armycorps with 8 regiments, and the First Hussiar Brigade with 3 regiments were standing ready under the lead of General Ottinger Mihály. An other 3 regiments were also on their way to the battle.
Luckily for us, Haynau was probably the worst general in Europe. Or in the world.

While the Battle of Eindstandt was raging, Katona Tivadar made a daring assault on the capital of the enemy. The Austrian generals were so confident of themselves, they only left a small reserve division in Vienna.

The results for the first battles were two crushing victories for the Kingdom of Hungary.

But this was only the beggining of a long and bloody war of independence.

Last edited:
Lengyel, magyar – két jó barát, együtt harcol, s issza borát ! ;)

Great idea for AAR ! Release Poland and ally with us, together our nations shall rule the World ;D