• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tuesday4am

Captain
97 Badges
Oct 1, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Playing as BYZ, I quit the VEN trade league when I have enough ducats to open my own COT in Thrace. My infamy is fairly high and I'm mercantilist (-3), so I decide to ask NOV to join their league. I figure it will give me one more COT to compete in and some trade stations in my provinces. But to my great surprise, being in a trade league seems to negate the infamy penalty in every other COT. In fact, I get 10% more compete chance because of my mercantilism slider. I've never noticed this before; is this how it has always been? It doesn't really make any sense, but it will certainly change my strategy in the future. The two screens below are a day apart looking at VEN in their own COT, before and after joining NOV's league.

eu31.png

eu32.png

Beeing in a trade league makes you use the trade league leaders compete chance, so yes, your infamy will be negated for compete chance. Just hope that the league leader doesnt rack up a large amount of BB;)

Indeed. The other thing you want to watch is if the league leader gets very low prestige; that can kill your compete chance (though as with BB, it's a huge advantage when you have low prestige)

Actually, I just noticed something even more overpowered. In addition to everything else, you use the league leader's stats for total placed merchants!

That would explain why I'm getting away with having 75 merchants as holland...

Actually, I just noticed something even more overpowered. In addition to everything else, you use the league leader's stats for total placed merchants!

That would explain why I'm getting away with having 75 merchants as holland...

So true :) But later in the game they are so many fractured COTs with 200-300 value that this is quite needed to maintain a healthy trade income.

So true :) But later in the game they are so many fractured COTs with 200-300 value that this is quite needed to maintain a healthy trade income.
Yeah, it's got quite bad in HTTT. It's only 1460 (so I can't see anything outside of europe), and there are already 16 visible CoTs :/

Yeah, it's got quite bad in HTTT. It's only 1460 (so I can't see anything outside of europe), and there are already 16 visible CoTs :/
Yes...is this WAD?

Well, creating new cots is just too easy :). I modded the game for my own needs, you can create new CoT only if mother cot is > 600 gold and a new cot is created automatically for each 70 provinces, not 35 as in vanilla. Also new COT's cost 1000. Try it!

Hi all,

Coming back to the original question and related answers: things are a bit more complicated. It took me quite some time and testing to figure it out, so let me please just share it with you. First of all, a quick definition of terms ( otherwise it can quickly get confusing ): when you try to place a merchant in a CoT, you may either have to fill an empty slot or to compete another merchant away, and you may either try to enter a CoT that you own or try to enter CoT that you don't own.

" Placement chance " refers to filling an empty slot.
" Compete chance " refers to competing another merchant away.

" Domestic " refers to a CoT you own.
" Abroad " refers to a CoT you don't own.

There are therefore 4 different configurations for calculating your chances of success:

• Domestic placement chance
  • Abroad placement chance
  • Domestic compete chance
  • Abroad compete chance

From this point onwards, I will only speak of compete chance ( not of placement chance )

The compete chance is affected by a lot of factors, that you can check when you hover the mouse over the shields in the CoT view :

• current ruler admin stats
  • advisors, if any
  • total placed merchants
  • national ideas ( shrewd commerce practice, ... )
  • Stability
  • Trade efficiency
  • prestige
  • luck ( for those lucky nations )
  • Mercantilism vs Free Trade slider
  • Infamy
  • Owning non core CoTs

HTTT trading mechanism actually considers 2 different sets of parameters:

• SET1: current ruler stats + advisors + placed merchants + NIs + Stability + TE + prestige + luck.
  • SET2: Merc vs Free trade slider + infamy + owning non core CoTs
When you belong to a trade league, your compete chances will consist of : the better of ( your SET1, the trade league owner SET1 ) and the better of ( your SET2, the trade league owner SET2 ).

That means you can have 4 different combinations depending on what the situation is at a certain point in time ( infamy being probably the parameter that impact things the most, whether it is your infamy or your trade league owner's ). I could so far explain everything that happened to me trade-wise with this SET1 / SET2 thing.

One additionnal note on the same subject: the merc vs free trade slider can bring huge benefits to your compete chance, but if you belong to a trade league, remember that what is " domestic " for your trade league owner is not for you. If your trade league owner is full mercantilism for example, that would give him +40% compete chance in his own CoTs and that would also possibly ( depending on whether your set2 is better than his or not ) give you +40%, but in your own CoTs, not his !