• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

City Builder

Colonel
30 Badges
Jun 20, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Cities: Skylines
I like it. But, please finish it. Please also understand that it's far from intuitive. There is also a hugely long pause at a black screen before the new EITC Designers Cut new logo screen comes up, so between the ship video and the designers cut new logo screen is a very long pause at a black screen that makes one feel that the game has likely locked up, no sound, and nothing but black screen Eventually the new DC logo screen appears however.

But one thing that I can't understand you folks not finishing is the sliders for the amount. God forbid we could actually use our mouse middle wheel to adjust the amount that we want to transfer? Seriously, why isn't the mouse wheel attached to the amount slider of the products that we want to loadup on our ships?

Please fix this oversight.

Also you may (SHOULD) add in tooltips for each option in the interface, mine is strangely devoid of any tool tips to indicate what will happen when I press my mouse button down on a certain (ALL) areas of the screen. Perhaps I turned them off, if I did, there should still be a certain amount of "BASIC" tool tips that show up regardless of user choice.

Overall, it's a good start to polishing up the interface, though it still needs some work to make it shine.

Oh and as a general game suggestion. Does anybody at your development firm really find it entertaining in the least bit that ships captains die just because of a stiff breeze coming up over the cape? Seriously, get rid of this constant captains dying. I had one captain that I hired, he made one trip and died. His successor took the helm (out at sea no less) and before the convoy of ships could even make it to the next port, that captain died as well and another one was appointed. Come come now, this really has no fun factor. Let them die in battle otherwise just keep who we appoint, it may not be "realistic" but then again you have to make concessions for fun, as you have done in many other areas of the game so why not this area too?

Last edited:
Also, it's almost(actually, it IS) a requirement that we can control time while in the new port screen.

I may jump around from port to port, to deal with my trading of a more manual nature, however since currently time stands still when in the port view screen, then the ships are standing still out at sea and will never get to the port as long as the port window is open. This is silliness and the time should be controllable like it is in the strategy screen, when also in the port screen. It's crazy to expect the player to open and close the port screen constantly to see if any of his fleets have made it into a port for his controlling that cargo.

Th new port screen is supposed to streamline taking care of our fleets but as long as time pauses with the port screen open, it's usefullness is then EXTREMELY limited. Whether you rush issue a patch to fix what I think is broken or not is your decission, however it's pointless to play on the new port screen unless I can control the flow of time when the port screen is open. I guess I'l see ya all around in a couple more months maybe if you should fix this issue, right?

Trade routes need to be fixed. When I make a trade route it should be ingrained in the ships memory. So if I misclick which I do quite often when I have a ship in the command view, it breaks off of the trading route that I had setup, and sends the ship to where ever I managed to click on the screen. That's fine and all and should actually work like that. But there should be a button that I can then click that tells the ship to get back on its last set trade route. Because now I've got to manually deal with that ship, take it to where it was set to go in the trade route, dump it's stuff send it back to the home port before I can effectively set the trade route up for it again. Please for the love of Pete, have the trade routes that we set be able to be continued if something or somebody temporarily breaks the trade route. I can't understand why some of this stuff wasn't in teh game to begin with, it's just so 1,2,3 basic.

As long as I've now turned the corner and am making suggestions. How about adding an area in the UI somehwere so that I can leave a message to myself in the form of a text message to remind myself what ever it is that I wish to remind myself For example I might get another country demanding 180,000 in gold and giving me 200 tons of product X. Since would lose money in my own home port initially, I'd want to keep track that product5 x cost me 180,000g/ Having somewhere IN THE GAME to write myself a general note would allow me to do that.

I'd also like to see more specific notes to be allowed for each city(regardless if I own it or not) and for each fleet as well. The noties optimally should have some sort of an alarm system that when a certain date has arrived that I set in the alarm, the game notifies me by showing me the message that I wrote to myself. Far too few developers give us the ability to jot down notes to ourselves in the games that they create and for the life of me I've never understood why they don't. Especially in game such as EIC, it's almost a downright necessity , unless of course I want to go find some paper and pen, Which I really REALLY don't, I want to keep it all in game.

Last edited:
I like it. But, please finish it. Please also understand that it's far from intuitive. There is also a hugely long pause at a black screen before the new EITC Designers Cut new logo screen comes up, so between the ship video and the designers cut new logo screen is a very long pause at a black screen that makes one feel that the game has likely locked up, no sound, and nothing but black screen Eventually the new DC logo screen appears however.

I dont have that problem at all, maybe it's your PC. Is anyone else having this issue?

Yes it's my PC. It's always the users PC that is causing the problem. Somebody tell me what it is and I'll be happy to fix it so they don't have to.

Windows 7
Amd Quad core 2.2GHz
8GB System RAM
Nvidia 275 GTX with 191.xx drivers (latest as of yesterday)

I know theres no way that they can test on every possible combination, and it would not surprise me that there is something in my less than a year old computer in the form of other game or software that is present (or not present) that is causing this, so if anybody figures it out, give me a hollar and Ill try whatever I must do to fix it, AS I'm sure eventually I will come across another game that has the same issue as this one and probably caused by the same thing.

I dont have that problem at all, maybe it's your PC. Is anyone else having this issue?

Privateer and Designers Cut both do it for me as well, a long black screen, about 5-10seconds worth, first time I saw it, I thought it crashed, and I was one keyboard stroke away of pulling up Task Manager to kill it.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE @ 3.4ghz
4x2GB PC8000 DDR2 RAM
GeForce GTX 260 SC
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

a lot of similarities to City Builders system unfounatly, so it does nothing to narrow out a component.

I do like his additional list of suggestions though, would make for a much smoother game.

Also...I posted this in tech support, but is anybody else having their game crash to hell and back?
acceptable.png

Seems to happen mostly when I try to save a game. I'm running the game with a DEP exemption, and as an Administrator.

I don't know how long the banned post will remain on the thread, but do what I do; go to his website, hit "Contact Us," and leave a message. Mine are anonymous and usually obscene, but tell the company I wouldn't buy from them because of their spammers.

Utter Rubbish

Why in god name is the port view size so small stuck in the middle of the monitor and no function to increase the size. there is room to fill the screen up and therefore less use of the scrolling up and down button, it just waste time and inefficient.

Also the buying and selling, the scolling bar oh god this is worse than the original. Previously i could press shift and drag the full amount using mouse (or ctrl for ten) and get sailing, now i got to do 10 times more work to buy and sell. Also i got to scroll the up and down bars, its irritating and takes too much time. If someone, god knows why, want to buy or sell a specific amount like 6 then why not click on goods then input the specific amount, instead of stolling or clicking stupid left right arrow button.

Looking at the directer but feature http://www.eic-game.com/?page=designers_cut i see some improvement just as being able to flee in auto resolve instead of having to enter battle and flee which is time consuming, but however the trading takes up a large amount of time and the trading issues i mention above does not make this version worthwhile. If only i was allowed to used the original style of trading then this version would be worthwhile.

Finally this was on the new feature list - idle fleet audio cue - When fleet has no more orders player is notified with sound effect. Ha ha, don't those idiot game designers realised there are millions of deaf people around the world who are not going to benefit from this. and therefore there has to be a visual notification too.

If anyone game developers care to read this, can you not address these issues or i have to go back to the original.

cheers for reading my waffle

Last edited: