• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(133722)

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
Feb 2, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I've never come across this, but I have almost done so, and wonder if anyone knows the results:

Let's say I have 750 tons of goods in my Home Warehouse (800 is max). I get a Diplo offer for 300 tons of Tea, at a good price, and so I accept.

What happens? Do I only receive 50 tons, and the rest is sold at Trading Post? Are my existing goods auto-sold? Do I just loose stuff? Does the world come to an end?

Which brings in another gripe - to do any sort of Warehouse management (which sounds very dull, but is actually fun in the context of the game), 800 tons is not nearly enough. A recent strategy I am trying is that anytime I have excess cash, I buy high profit items (Sugar, Tobacco, Silver/Steel ware, Silver) from my home Trading Port and store them in my Warehouse. When a ship comes in to unload, I'll buy any high profit goods currently available, and then fill the rest of my ships with the Warehouse items. This helps a lot for maximizing profits, and also can get me out of some jams because I can get a good profit for already purchased items without dipping into my funds reserved for stocking up in India. However, the 800 ton limit to the Home Warehouse pretty much kills this strategy, or at least severely limits it.

Low size is to prevent players from exploiting the system and stockpiling huge amounts of goods before selling.

Also, I don't know if additional tons are sold or wasted, I think they are wasted.

I use extra cash to stockpile Diamonds from 3 ports.

If that's the case, that's a crap case. I thought the whole point of the game is to Buy Low and Sell High? If you allow me to create buildings that drive my costs lower and increase my supply, why would you prevent me from taking advantage of that?

Also, this is an early-game strategy for me, as in the first 25 years. After that I'm too busy trying to figure out where everyone is going to do this level of micro-management. Early game, I need to squeeze as much profit out of every voyage as possible. Having a steady supply of high-profit goods to sell to India helps a lot. I am getting almost as much profit selling to India that I am for some MTI's coming back. For example, I think Tobacco nets me about $120 in profit, whereas Silk is giving me $160. If I don't stockpile, it's completely random as to what is available, and I could end up with a fleet-load of coal, at $2/ton profit, which is utter crap.

Which brings up more questions about your Home Trading port - since I am the only dude trading here, why do items disappear? Who is buying all the excess Tobacco, if not me? Which then begs the question, wtf is importing Tobacco and Sugar? Not me. There is some clandestine Caribbean trading going on....

Personally I would prefer a system where you could see demand in your home port and HAD TO keep it below certain level (Demand: low, medium, high, extreme for example).

You could keep it at the edge of breaking point (high demand) to maximize profits but if you went one bridge too far you'd simply piss everyone off and what happened to Portugal in 17th century when they couldn't meet the demand for Pepper in Europe, would happen to you. :)

I've been thinking of very similar things, Delra. I've avoided posting about it because it is such a drastic change from the current Game. The game I am envisioning is more of the Harbor master, and less of a guy playing with boats. I would like the ships to always load and unload from the Warehouse. It is my prerogative when and what to sell. Different levels of demand at home would dictate what I sell, but different levels of supply (coupled with my own current inventory and the projected demand [i.e. my own risk ] would determine what I import.

So, let's say Spices are in huge demand, but Tea has flooded the market and is in low demand. Ideally I would have stockpiled spices in my home warehouse, that I would sell piecemeal (to "hide" my supply and not cause drastic price drops), which would keep the Demand level tolerable, and maximize my profits. While I am doing this, I am importing as much Tea (which I bought at very low prices) and putting it into my Warehouse.

The "risk" is that I may well have to sell goods at a loss, or less of a profit, because I need money.

There is also the Futures contract concept, which would standardize delivery of goods at a price and quantity, in the future. Thus the introduction of forward payments - You get 50% of the current price of the item, under agreement that you will deliver X tons of commodity Y, in Z number of months. If you meet the contract, you get your money. If you cannot, you must find the remaining goods (from another company, your warehouse, or the "cash market" which will never make you a profit), or else you get seriously fined. You can also buy "insurance" ( an Option ) for your shipments, in the case that the ships and cargo are lost or that you cannot deliver. The insurance would cut into your profits, but would give you some security. Other companies can sell you this Insurance, at a profit for them.

Of course, we can then create an EIC Tea bubble and get the governments to bail us out when our ships sink, but that's a different game entirely ;)

Yeah, Crown would nationalise your business like Batavian Republic which eventually was forced to take over VOC with all their debt. And the game over movie would feature the player jumping from the mast of his tallest ship...

EIC 2 maybe. :)

I bought some Ivory at the start of a game, put it in my capitals warehouse, got distracted and the price never went back to where I could sell it profitably. I stopped importing Ivory but that didnt help. Eventually I bit the bullet and sold it at a loss.

Now I eye the warehouse with a good deal of paranoia and suspicion.

:)

If you have a full warehouse and accept a diplo offer of goods you will lose the goods. I double checked this myself to be sure.

Some people mention that they put goods in a warehouse and were never able to sell the good profitably again. This is not entirely accurate. If you have goods in a warehouse the sell price will always be unmodified. If you get a captain in port that has a bonus to sell price you can put the goods into his ships and sell it for a higher profit which usually makes goods profitable.

Each month that goes by where you do not sell MTIs at your main port the sell price for those items will go up. It may take a few years for goods to become profitable if you purchased them at a high price with a low level captain but sooner or later it will happen. Be wary though of automated trade routes. Those captains will sometimes stop off at ports along the route and buy MTIs which get sold in your home port automatically and lower profit.