• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Better to live for a year as a King, than a hundred years as a sheep.

Homelands
Chapter Twelve: To Save a King
Part 4

Prelude:
The traditional age Anglo-Prussian men come of age is 16. In their tradition, the sixteenth birthday is one of the biggest celebrations of their lives. Gunvald’s coming of age was coupled to a very important marriage between the young Prussian and the daughter of the Roman Emperor. In the years since the last marriage, Theodoros had died, and without male heir. His brother David was now Emperor, and he already had a male heir. His daughter, Anna, was a young and quiet woman. The marriage had been planned for some time, but when the two met that day in Marienscír’s main chapel it was the first time that had seen each other. Gunvald was still not heir apparent, but it was becoming more certain that he would be. In the five years Eadbert had been living in the monastery the two men had grown close to one another, and the noble opposition had quieted.

June 29th, 1143

Emperor David was the new head of the Palaeologus dynasty. He carried around a heavy aura of supremacy that he cultivated in himself. Unlike the likable Theodoros, David was an inapproachable man with a stern gaze and heavy set jaw. His voice was deep and humbling. His daughter was small and frail. She was very definitely the definition of the feminine. Gunvald entered the chapel with a military hair cut and a full beard. He wore a military uniform and armor, despite not being a military man.

He approached his future father and law and gave a quick salute. Gunvald had developed quiet an ego, and had come to see his father’s Kingdom as the bastion for the Christian faith. He had told his father, “One day a Leofricson will have to take Constantinople, and free it from the barbarism of Islam.”

“You walk around with your nose in the air, Gunvald, but how many of your ancestors lay beneath you? In Constantinople I cannot begin to count my predecessors. They stretch all the way back to Augustus!”

“Yes; and my studies have told me it includes such glorious names as Nero and Caligula.” Gunvald reveled in his broad understanding. Gunvald’s plain and almost innocent way of speaking made it seem as if he did not see the insult in his words.

David smiled; the boy had impressed him with a shrewd comment, “Boy you seem to have been taught well.”

Gunvald saluted again, and then left the Emperor’s company to meet with his father. “Father, the Emperor seems a kind enough man.”

“Heh, you get along with everyone. He even treats an old monk like me as if I was a simpleton.”

“He definitely has been raised differently from us Prussians.”

“Prussians are raised on little bread, mead, cold, and the sea. Romans are raised on plenty, wine, sun, and palaces. It produces two completely different people.” Gunvald nodded. “This is a big day for the House of Leofric, and for Prussia. We are finally being accepted into the high society of the East. Hopefully, we can finally settle the Ukrainian provinces down, and then beat up on old Poland some more.”

“I don’t believe we have much to gain from Poland.”

“See, Russia is orthodox, like us. Poland is Catholic…”

“I know this father…”

“If we expand into Russia, orthodoxy looks week… if we expand into Poland…”

“Catholicism looks weak. I know this father, but the armies are weak. Aethelwulf is ill from the exposure. Maybe we should instead turn to cementing the Kingdom you and grandfather have built, instead of expanding into ruin.”

Homelands
Chapter Twelve: To Save a King
Part 5

Prelude:
Gunvald’s marriage to the daughter of the new Roman Emperor, and the Emperor’s liking to him was the final push to getting the Saxon nobles to accept the prodigy son of Prussia. Aethelwulf, weakened from campaigns was glad to be out of the limelight. But amongst the other brothers there was no lack of anger and jealousy. Gunvald was the second youngest of seven sons, and with the exception of Aelle, they each wanted the title to Prussia. Gunvald would have to centralize his position within his family and the nobility in order to ensure he would become King of Prussia. In Prussia it was not uncommon for brothers to become fierce rivals and later kill one another in duels.

November 29th, 1143

Gunvald stood on the field of honor outside of Memelbuhr. His brother Leofric has challenged his position as heir apparent. Leofric was a massive warrior and a powerful fighter. Gunvald watched him laugh and roll at his own smallish frame. Leofric wore only wolf pelts and carried a heavy axe. Many nobles and even peasants had come out to watch the duel. Leofric was the favorite to win and Gunvald knew it. He brought a bit of armor, including a shield and a helmet. Once he was ready, the King was brought out and had the brothers placed at opposite ends of the field. The battle was on foot, as Leofric never learned to ride a horse.

The crowd grew silent as Leofric began roaring threats and insults at Gunvald. “You are stupid brother. You cannot be me! I am Leofric, slayer of bears and boars! Where were you during father’s wars? Sitting in a library with your mommy! You are like a girl! I doubt you even have a manhood!” He roared in laughter and continued mocking Gunvald as he began to slowly and ominously walk toward his small brother.

“They say you are smart, brother! But smarts do not rule countries. FEAR! Fear brother! Fear unites a Kingdom! Nobles fear me!” He was more than fifty feet from Gunvald. He tossed his axe around in his hands and pretended to cleave Gunvald in two. Gunvald’s sword felt lighter than at the start of the match. He had never been trained to fight, only to lead.

“Where are your books now, Son of Prussia?! Where are they? They cannot protect you!” Gunvald remembered talking to a priest about the human body. A knife can kill as easily as an axe. Gunvald had a knife. He dropped his sword and took out the knife. He knew that he had only one chance to win this battle. His advantage was Leofric didn’t know he only had one chance as well. He tried to keep himself calm and under control.

Leofric saw the change of weapon and began laughing harder. He stopped walking and took time to wipe the tears from his eyes. Then he took a deep breath and began running at Gunvald. Gunvald saw his only chance. Leofric was only six feet away, axe lifted and swinging downwards. Gunvald slipped feet first under his axe and legs, dropping his shield and stabbing upwards into Leofric’s soft flesh. Blood rained on Gunvald who stood up now behind Leofric. His knife was still in his hand. Leofric was on the ground, alive but in too much pain to move. Gunvald knew he couldn’t kill him by himself.

“Kill him, Gunvald!” his father shouted. Gunvald sighed. He walked over to Leofric who was gasping in pain and in the fetal position.

“I am sorry, Leofric.”

“Why do you sound so bored?”

“I did not expect to still be alive… They want me to kill you, I don’t think I can. What do I do?” Leofric’s eyes grew wide as he realized Gunvald was still very much a child. The massive body began to grow weak all over as blood spilled onto the frozen ground. Gunvald watched his brother’s eyes go pale as he left the material world.

“Drátæshanás.”

End Chapter Twelve

Damn Gunvald, I dont like him because of his mother
So now he has cemented his position of heir to Prussia