• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Mecklenburg: If you play your cards right.

Excerpt from the Kaiserliche Bibliotheke 1876

After the valorous attempt to free Rome from the Turkish invaders a long stale mate ensued. The young Reich did not wish to spend its strength fighting against the still powerful Ottoman empire. The young empress Semira and First Reichs Marschall Blois decided on a wait and see strategy, tricking the untrustworthy Austrians into fighting the land war for them. While the Mecklenburgian navy, only just created, patrolled the shores of Asia Minor and Greece raiding every merchant they could find, Austrian troops fought in Dacia and Bulgaria. Their incompetence however caused them to fail to break the back of the Great Turk. Mehmed Fatih would seemingly not be beaten as easily.

Yet the chokehold the Mecklenburgian navy held over the transports by sea, meant that the populace started to suffer. Not only that but because of the lack of victories the Ottoman allies started doubting the outcome of this war. Fickle as they were they cast aside the vows they made to Fatih and send out their emissaries to plea with empress Semira. This meant that just a year after the conquest of Rome the first cracks in the Ottoman facade of power became apparent.

EU3_64.jpg

EU3_65.jpg

To celebrate these events, the empress saw it fit to bestow full citizenship to even more inhabitants of the glorious Reich. It was said that the inhabitants of these lucky provinces celebrated for weeks as they were now considered true Germans!

EU3_66.jpg

EU3_69.jpg

"So my dear, you no longer consider those infidels as you enemies?": said the king.

"No, they might be allies of Fatih, but only in name. They won’t send any troops over, they refuse to even send supplies. It's only the Turk we should worry about. And Alexander, don't put that stuff in your mouth. Insolent little boy, come over here!" Semira grabbed the little toddler and removed the rose bulb from his mouth.

"Mine! Mine!": Alexander yelled.

"Ah the boy is growing larger by the day, it seems. Too bad Jylland could not life to see his son growing up to be a fine adult."

"Yes, my King. It's very sad indeed." Semira didn't think it was sad at all, now she could mend the boy to her liking and not have her late husband's bad habits rub off on the boy. She put Alexander back on the ground and told one of the guards to keep him away from the roses.

"But my King: Something good might come of this after all. I have been thinking, you like young Alexander, do you not?"

"Well, yes! Like he was my own son. I never had a son, you know. Never even had a wife." The king seemed to sink away in his memories.

"Yes, I know my King. But it is as you say, you have no wife, no heirs. That can not be what God wanted of Mecklenburg, now can it? To have it all end after you pass away?"

"Ehm, no I guess you're right. You think I should get a wife now then?": The king seemed distressed by the idea, his only contact with females consisted of asking his maids for a different type of breakfast or lunch.

"No my king, there is no need for that."

"Ah thank God, I wouldn't know what to do, my dear. I'm not that good with girls, I think."

"Tell me about it": Semira thought. What she said however was: "Your Majesty is just too grand for those girls to understand. But we already have an easy solution to our problems." She pointed at her young son, being constrained by the guard and still trying to get back at the rose bulbs.

"Young Alexander? But no, I couldn't?! I don't want the boy to end up as his poor father."

"Do not worry, my King. Hasn't general Blois create a special guard to make sure nothing happens to us? Have you even seen anyone trying to threaten you since the guard was created? They will be even more careful when they know they are guarding the heir to Mecklenburg. Alexander will be perfectly safe!" Semira had though a lot about this matter and it seemed the best possible solution, there would be no bloodshed, no problem about legitimacy and it would be an easy way for her son to the throne.

"Are you sure, my dear? I could not live with the thought of bringing the boy into harm’s way."

"He will be fine my Lord. Please do not worry. We will talk about the details tomorrow; just think it over please, my King. Some more wine perhaps?"

"Ah yes thank you."

Mecklenburg: Stabilizing.

"You have proposed to the king, to have Alexander appointed as his Majesties heir?": Kessler asked. Semira had not told him in person, but once news reaches the ears of any servant, it will reach the ears of every servant. And the more people hearing the news, the easier it would become for them to accept it and the harder it would become to convince the populace otherwise.

"Indeed I did. Do you think it a bad idea, Kessler?"

"No, my Lady. I just did not expect this. This means that Alexander will become a target now, even more than he already was."

"He is protected well enough Kessler. Do not worry. Could you walk with me to my rooms? I have some things I would like you to take care of."

"But of course my Lady." Kessler did not seem all too happy to see the precious son of Jylland making his way to the throne. Semira though that Kessler would love to lock both her and her son up in a golden cage, to make sure nothing would happen to what was left of his general's inheritance.

Semira remained silent for a couple of minutes, while they made their way to her private quarters. Blois was away, taking care of business in Rome. Brendan was more of a clerk than a real commanding officer, so the only one left to use, was Kessler. She knew the man was a capable commander, but she also knew that he was a poor diplomat and poor administrator. Even though the planned operation was minor when compared to the ongoing war against the Great Turk, it was still important for the stabilization of the home front. Perhaps she would join Kessler to take care of the aftermath. She could even take her son with her, it would be good for the boy to start getting used to campaigning as soon as possible.

"Kessler, we need to take care of business in our immediate surroundings, as well as taking care of our oversea war with the Turk. You know this don't you?"

"Immediate surroundings? No, not really, my Lady. What do you mean?"

"We are beset on all sides, by nations that wish for our downfall, Kessler. Even the pope is said to not be pleased by the fact that it was us and not the papal army that freed Rome."

"The pope? You have to be kidding my Lady? Does the pope wish for our demise?"

"He does, Kessler. It is said the Pope will even reconcile with the English if it means he can strike at our capitol."

"What? Really? But that's terrible, our armies are fighting for Christianity and even the Pope wants to strike while our main army is away? How far have they all fallen?"

"Pretty far indeed. Do you understand what we must do now, then?"

Kessler looked at his Lady, dumbstruck. "I’m sorry, my Lady. I don't. I'm not much of a thinker. I’m a soldier and nothing more."

"It's a soldier we need here, Kessler. If we would need a clerk I would not be talking to you."

That seemed to bolster Kessler's confidence. "If you need a soldier then I'm your man, my Lady."

"Good. I have already made some plans. I would like you to prepare the Second Army, so we can move out in a week. Make sure we have enough rations for at least a month or two."

"It will be done, my lady."

As long as he had direct orders, he proved capable enough. Semira thought that was a good thing, too much independent thinking could only lead to rebellion. As she opened the door to her chambers, she was thinking whether it would be too early to have someone commence the weapon training with her son. Perhaps during the campaign?

EU3_70-1.jpg

Cyprus had sworn fealty to Mecklenburg. As Michael had promised the operation had succeeded without any major incidents. Blois was sifting to the reports the returning fleet has brought with them. It seemed Michael had managed to get even more information regarding the Ottoman state of affairs, than Blois had hoped for. Rebels funded by the Mecklenburgian gold and armed by the Austrians, where starting to take over in former Byzantine lands.

EU3_71.jpg

A letter send by the royal post service, informed him regarding Semira's newest plot for power. It seemed she would not accept even minor threats in the homeland. It was more of a skirmish than a real war, the resources involved were minor and Kessler knew how to command an army. Since Semira decided to join the campaign, Blois knew he would not have to worry about the diplomatic side either.

EU3_72.jpg

EU3_74.jpg

Instead he would focus on the task at hand. The Ottomans were having problems, but not enough to make them sign a peace favorable to Mecklenburg. The Austrians also seemed powerless to advance further into the Balkans. If Mecklenburg was to gain any benefits from this war, they would have to take matter into their own hands.

Perhaps the rebels in Salonika offered a chance. They had proclaimed themselves the new Byzantine Empire, but only held one city and its surrounding lands. Salonika would make for an excellent starting point for a land based campaign.

EU3_73.jpg

If properly executed Blois thought the combined naval blockade and the threat of an incursion into the Ottoman heart land would force Mehmed to the peace table. Some spies reported that the sacker of Byzantium and Rome was growing tired and aged quickly, having to deal with rebellions in all of his lands.

EU3_75.jpg

Just the other day, Mehmed had ordered a suicide mission to take back Rome. A meager fleet consisting of a few transports and even less warships made their way to Rome, dropping a shell of an army. Blois had feared for a moment it was a trap, but it seemed Mehmed Fatih had spent all of his guile. All the enemy ships were sunk and the soldiers killed or taken prisoner.

EU3_76.jpg

"Michael." It was a good thing he kept Michael close by, if he would let his aid do as he pleased it would be impossible to keep track of him.

"What is it, oh great mastermind. I'm so bored, why won’t you let me off the hook for, say a day or two?"

Blois ignored his friends babbling. "Another mission, Michael."

"A mission? Why didn't you say so. I’m itching for some action. Cyprus is already too long ago. What government should I topple single handedly this time?"

Blois pointed at the map.

"Aha that will be fun. Great I'll get to it immediately."

EU3_77.jpg

A week without an update really is too long, but I was actually playing games more than talking about them in the past week or so. Since I finished said games, now is the time to start writing again :rofl:

Enewald said:
You meanie attack the remnants of Rome! :mad:

No, I am not a byzantophile. :p

Thats right, kill the senile big turk!
Strange. Recently there was a big Bremen Craze now there's a big Mecklenburg Craze :D Nice AAR Btw :) Away with those ugly turks ;o!

It would be nice if you would switch to political mode once in a while ;o

Last edited:
heh, I am not seeing the logic in attacking byzantine. I thought "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"? So wouldn't you cooperate with the byzantium take over the turks that way.

comagoosie said:
heh, I am not seeing the logic in attacking byzantine. I thought "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"? So wouldn't you cooperate with the byzantium take over the turks that way.

The Mecklenburgian army is still operating under the basic premises as was determined before I started the game :) This means that all your rich provinces is are belong to us :rofl: Salonika is 7 base tax, that means it rightfully belongs in the Mecklenburgian flock.

Strange. Recently there was a big Bremen Craze now there's a big Mecklenburg Craze Nice AAR Btw Away with those ugly turks ;o!

It would be nice if you would switch to political mode once in a while ;o

I thought mine was the only mecklenburg AAR? Although I have also advertised the Mecklenburg shadow WC, so that makes two Meck games, still only played by yours truely ^^

You meanie attack the remnants of Rome!

No, I am not a byzantophile.

Thats right, kill the senile big turk!

He only needs to fold, then Mecklenburg will be out of his hair for a long time ;)