• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ireland submitting through diplomacy rather than force - very nice. Well, sorta diplomacy - diplomacy driven by king-to-king threats of murder. Never negotiate with someone crazier than you unless a) you are surrounded by bodyguards or b) you are a total bad-ass and can kill the other guy first.

Maybe there are different stats for diplomacy and intrigue because intrigue is diplomacy within one's court, and diplomacy is intrigue within another court.

Anyway, this is a good story, interesting how you're interweaved game events and narrative.

edgar-1.jpg
Edgar Aetheling​

Edgar's war
Saint Michael’s Isle. March 22, 1080

Old man Aethelbert was in his bed. He was getting better, his brothers had said, and they had given him another herbal brew and at least a dozen blessings and Ave Maria’s. Now only one other man was in the lodge. A much younger man who was once known by the Manx Saxons as Edgar the Traitor, but who was now called Edgar the Exiled or simple Edgar the Aetheling. He mashed the herbal gruel the monks had brought, while trying to cool it down.

“It is only a matter of times. Weeks rather then months, the king says,” he said without looking up from the small clay pot. It was still steaming hot. Edgar could feel how it could cleanse ones nose and throat.

“It’s about time,” Aethelbert grunted. “That old fool Malcolm, he took his bloody time. Probably too busy courting your sister.”

Edgar smiled. “He’s seventeen years younger than you, Aethelbert. He could have been your son, for that matter.” Aethelbert crackled. “Ha! It’s common knowledge that people first get more stupid as they get older, before they can get any wiser.”

“I guess you must first get enough experience doing wrong, before you can learn from it.” Both men laughed. But both knew it was true.

-

“What is Malcolm’s plan? Raid the lowlands? Attack the villages?” Aethelbert sat up straight now. He couldn’t feel any pain anymore.

“No, the northern villages have suffered enough. He will attack the new Norman castle on the Tyne, Newcaestir, and then Dunholm, York, and then Lincoln. Have you heard of Herewald the Wake? It is said he runs an army of Saxons in northern Anglia. If we can meet up with him, we might even attack Lunden!”

“Ha! If the Normans even allow you to come so far. If William the Bastard succeeds in subduing the Welsh raiders, he only can fear an invasion from the north, and he can prepare.”

“He doesn’t have the Welsh yet. Not by a pikelength, Aethelbert! They resist him like they have resisted us for so many centuries. Even with the King of Munster in his pocket, he cannot dominate them. If we can make a deal with the Welsh, we could even attack on two sides!” “You can dream, son. I give you that…”

One of the monks came in and carried something that resembled boiled chicken. “Ah, Siward, good to see you, brother,” Aethelbert said. The monk, who looked almost as old as Aethelbert, laughed loudly. “You didn’t think I’d let your recovery depend on one of those kids, did you?” Both old men laughed. Edgar raised his brow.

“Edgar… this is Siward Butler, former marshal of the Welsh March and since his arrival my best friend and greatest critic. Siward, this is the infamous Edgar Aetheling, exile and betrayer of Norman and Saxon alike.”

Siward Butler nodded. “We have met and fought together at Scrobbesburh,” he said. “It seems a lifetime ago now. Twelve years.” “So much has been lost. It seems only men and their memories remain,” Edgar said melancholically. “Well, it’s all it takes to change things, really,” Aethelbert countered.

“I heard you managed to bring the old king Malcolm to war against King Willie,” Siward said. “Not yet, brother-at-arms. But the time will be near.” “Do you believe you think these Scots can actually accomplish anything against the might of the Norman knight?”

Edgar sighed. “Only history will tell. And… and in the end, only history will judge us.”

-

The harbour of Castletown was full of activity. Thirty-five longships lay in the harbour, being loaded with supplies, men and weapons. Blacksmiths, tailors, basket weavers and outfitters were working on the old landing beach. On a field outside of the town hundreds of men camped, waiting to board the ships, which would sail to distant battlefields. Although this was a Saxon matter, there were also a lot of Norse and Manx men, willing to fight for gold and glory. They would all follow Hunwald Stigardson

“You will be back, won’t you!?” Harold would have cried, had he been alone with his mentor and guardian. “Of course, son. I’ll bring you a nice Norman sword, and the ear of every dog that tastes my axe.” “You think this is going to last a long time? The war I mean?” Hunwald shrugged. “I don’t know. I think so. But this is an opportunity we cannot miss.” “Hunwald… I wish I could have gone with you,” Harold said. His voice began to squeek. Damn it! “I know, son. But I am sure you will have your chance.”

Harold handed Hunwald his great war axe. It was decorated with red and white leather ribbons, as well as two small silver crosses, hanging on a chain. The axe had belonged to Hunwalds father before him, and his father before him. Now it would taste blood again, for the first time in over thirteen years.

Hunwald kissed Harold and then Eadhild. Then his voice roared over the harbour, and he yelled commands to the gathering troops. He waved a final goodbye and then disappeared behind a group of fierce-looking Norsemen. Only a few moments later Edgar Aetheling arrived with his entourage. The boarding commenced and then everything went very fast. An hour later the horns sounded from the towers surrounding the harbour, and the fleet from Mann set sail to the kingdom of Scots.

Sorry for this long delay, but I suffered a bad case of writer's block. It's important for me to write a few chapters in advance, and if I don't the story will come to a stall just like in any case :p

Edit: I'm also sorry that these and the two following stories will not really involve Harold. But nothing interesting has happened on the Isle of Man, and there are some very nice things going on on the rest of the Isles.

Alex Borhild - Thank you :) I think you are right, although diplomacy is also important for the loyalty of your courtiers and vassals of course.

Last edited: