• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, Juvenal has the Count in his pocket with his butterfly comment...

I have to second the others and mention your writing, especially the dialogues are very fluently and easy to read.

@Enewald: Obviously, the answer here is to stop reading other AARs. :D

@TheExecutor: Welcome aboard! Glad to help you expand your Wikipedia knowledge. :D But if Baldwin's wife really had "killed them all" in real life, that would have been a wild coincidence...as Annelies is somebody that I had him marry within the game. Not his real-life wife. Sorry! Thanks for the well-wishes, by the way. Went through Iceland, Hungary, and now Qatar today. Should hit Iraq tomorrow!

@The Rest: Thanks as always for the compliments...all the more meaningful, given the quality of your own writing. Never fear, I have another half century of plot twists heading your way!

Hmm...now how does Juvenal know about the butterfly...THAT is the question. I thought Juvenal left the present BEFORE the butterfly idea was conceived, so it must have either visited him in the past...or he is useing a tidbit of information overheard by the locals...either way, I don't think this chrusade is going to end well.

TheExecuter

@The Executor: Never fear, my friend...all shall be explained once we get to Juvenal's backstory.

But not yet! :D

Spring, 1072 - Northern France

Four years had passed.

Upon learning that Juvenal had also seen the magical butterfly, Baldwin immediately promoted the African to be the new Marshal of his army, demoting brother Reinel. Together, Baldwin and Juvenal planned their upcoming adventure. They would need men...need supplies...need money...and all of this meant that they would need time.

The Muslims who occupied Jerusalem would be unlikely to allow two Christians to pillage their city for some cup, butterfly or otherwise. There would be a battle. And while King Phillipe would no doubt come to their defense, he would want to know why they needed defending in the first place. Again, cups and butterflies would not be enough. They would have to claim it was a holy crusade.

Juvenal seemed intensely interested in hearing every detail about Baldwin's encounter with the magical butterfly...nearly even more so than Baldwin was in hearing of Juvenal's encounter. Baldwin recoutned for his African marshal every detail he could remember. The snowfall, the butterfly flickering in and out of existence, climing the tower wall, trying to reach the gold item the butterfly had dropped, falling, hitting his...

With the mention of the gold item, Juvenal was nearly drooling. He wanted to see it, desperately. To have it, in fact. He seemed convinced that the butterfly's piece of gold could contain a hint as to the exact location of the Holy Grail. Baldwin had already considered this, of course, but his people who knew such things determined that it not only contained no such hints, but was, in fact, not even real gold. Just some other shiny substance.

But Juvenal could not be persuaded, and Baldwin...pleased to finally have someone to point out as being even crazier than he...finally just let him have the worthless sliver of metal.

But now...four years had passed. Four years of planning, of training, of recruiting, of fundraising. Four years. They were finally ready. Just a matter of loading the men into the ships and...

Somebody was coming.

Running straight at them, waving his arms.

"BROTHER!"

"Reinel! What is it? You look as though you've seen a ghost!"

"Brother, I..."

"Relax, Reinel. If it means that much to you, you can come on our trip."

"No, Brother, it's..."

"Yes?"

"I...I went to the dungeon. To give Annelies her weekly bread and water. Just as you've had me do every week for the past five years, Brother. But this time..."

Baldwin's face lost it's color, as the blood drained away. There was only one thing that could shake Reinel so badly.

"My God...she's escaped! The woman has escaped! JUVENAL! GUARDS! Annelies has escaped! She'll kill us all! SHE'LL KILL US ALL!"

"No...no, brother. She hasn't escaped. At least...not exactly."

"Oh...oh, praise the Lord. Oh, you gave me a good scare, Reinel."

"Brother...Annelies is dead."

Baldwin just stared at his baby brother, in silence. Could it be? Could Annelies really, truly be dead? Could this terrible woman who had been a threat to all Baldwin had...could she be dead? Could this evil, wretched woman truly and really and...

...his wife.

Good God, his wife was dead.

It was all his fault. She had done nothing but loved him...and in return, because of some God-damned butterfly that driven him insane...he'd locked her away in a dungeon for five years. The butterfly wasn't a sign from God...it was the devil! Just like the serpent in the Garden of Eden, Baldwin had been led to sin by an evil butterfly.

He'd killed her.

She'd done nothing wrong, and he executed his own wife.

Tears streaming down his face, he began to run towards the dungeon.

Counties away, birds scattered into the air, frightened by the primeval scream.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNELLLLLIEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!"

Reactions:
Twisted turn right there, too bad he has to fight the grim reality of his insanity.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Drip. Drip. CRASH.

Baldwin smashed open the door to the dungeon, not even bothering with the handle. The stairs might as well have not even bothered being there, for all the time Baldwin spent with them.

He was at her cell door now. Fumbling with the keys...why were there so many keys?...there! Now just turn it in the lock and...

He dropped it. The key...it's somewhere by his foot. He heard it fall. Why is it so dark in here? Isn't being in a dungeon bad enough? Did he have to make it so dark as well?

Feeling blindly on the ground...he touches a rat, he doesn't care...there...no. That's the rat again.

It feels dead.

There! The key.

Reinel has reached his side by this point. Together, they turn the key and step into the cell.

Annelies lays face down on the cellar floor. Never a heavy woman, she looks bone thin. Almost as if someone she cared about had chosen to only give her bread and water...once a week...for five years.

It's true, then. Annelies is dead.

Step softly, closer to her body, as if to not wake her from this eternal sleep. Lean closer...kiss his wife's dead forehead. Brush the hair away from her eyes.

Her eyes.

Something...

...her eyes.

There's something wrong with her eyes.

Is she...is she crying? Is his dead wife somehow crying over the way that he...

And just like that, her eyes snap open.

Startled, he falls backwards...and she is on him. Grabs his knife, takes it from him. Runs toward the door.

He gets up to chase after her...but he can't. He's broken his ankle.

"REINEL! Look out! She's alive! She...she has my knife! She's coming your..."

Reinel appears at the door, alone...unharmed.

"Reinel! Annelies...she escaped. Alert the guards! Get Juvenal. She must be stopped!"

"Brother..."

"Don't just stand there, Reinel! DO something!"

"I already have, Brother."

"What? You...you've already alerted the guards?"

"No...I've...already done 'something."

And now Baldwin looks up from the cell floor, up into his brother's eyes, shining with sadness despite the lack of light.

"...What have you done, Reinel?"

"What had to be done, Brother."

And with that, Reinel slammed the cell door.

Baldwin forced himself up on the broken ankle, hobbled to the door, beating his fists against it.

"REINEL!"

"REINEL!"

"She'll kill them all!"

"Can't you see???"

"SHE'LL KILL THEM ALL."

"SHE'LL KILL THEM ALL!"

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Reactions:
W...........................o......................................w..................

Prinz Wilhelm said:
W...........................o......................................w..................

Seconded. Truly a wonderful, magnificent, unheard of twist. This is good...

Thanks for all the comments, as always! And glad you guys are enjoying the twists...because they are only just beginning.

Is Annelies innocent or guilty? What is Reinel planning? How will Juvenal adapt to this change in power? Whatever happened to William? What of the Holy Grail and crusade to Jerusalem?

And then there's that whole matter of what's happening in the modern-day world...

...but right now, I am minutes away from boarding my flight to Iraq. And then I imagine the rest of the day will be committed to inprocessing, etc etc.

I want to buy a camel, but I'm not sure where one does this.

Dromedarians R us?

E-Humpony.com?

The jokes write themselves, folks.

Anyhow, I'll try to write a couple more chapters on the flight, so I can do a massive post once I get back online.

See ya then!

Unexpected and magnificent. Who will take power now? A malnourished Annelies; Reinel, which is the only person making sense; or Juvenal Quintus, who I don't know what I should think about?

Regarding the camels, bring a female acquaintance or relative; an Arab tried to buy my grandmother from my dad when they were in Tunisia.

Edit: 800th post! :D

Reinel ran until he found Annelies, collapsed on the top step leading out of the dungeon.

"Lady Annelies! What is it? What's wrong?"

"I...I'll be fine. I just need to get something to eat. Thank you for saving my life. I know how difficult that must have been for you. You loved your brother."

"And you loved your husband. But it had to be done. It breaks my heart...but my brother died eight years ago, when he fell from that tower, chasing some damned butterfly. I don't know who the man is in that dungeon now...but he isn't my brother, and he isn't your husband."

Annelies nodded, sadly. "So...what now, Sire?"

"...Sire?"

"Well...with Baldwin locked away and William dead, you're the obvious successor to the county."

"But...William isn't dead."

Annelies regained her strength and was on her feet in a second.

"...WHAT?"

Reactions:
Ah, so time to dig up an old heir! Wonderful.

"What do you mean William isn't dead? I thought the whole reason I was locked up was because Baldwin thought we'd had an affair. And he wasn't in the dungeon..."

"Baldwin never thought you'd had an affair, Lady Annelies. But you know as well as I that when he hit his head, he became convinced that some woman was coming to 'kill us all'". And then, somehow, he became convinced that it was you."

"But didn't he think William was involved, somehow? He was accusing William when he turned on me."

"Yes, Lady Annelies. Baldwin did believe William was somehow involved in your plot...but his voices never said "He will kill us all." He felt that by locking you away, William would no longer plot against him."

"But...so he put me in a dungeon, while William was roaming free?"

"Not quite, Ladies Annelies. William was banished."

"Banished! To where?"

"Nowhere in particular. Baldwin simply said that he wasn't welcome back to Guines."

"Well...will he return now that Baldwin is gone?"

"I'm certain that he would...if we knew where he was."

"Then...we're back to you being the new Count."

"Not necessarily. Either of my uncles could try to seize the throne."

"They could try. But you're Baldwin's closest blood relative who can be located. And you've already proven that you can make difficult decisions for the betterment of the county. The throne is rightfully yours."

"I suppose you're right."

"So...I ask again. What next, Sire?"

"Well...I have to tell the new countess, of course."

It was a 30-minute trip back to Count Reinel's residence...but it was the greatest 30 minutes of his life. Oh, the look on the face of his wife, Ellijnore! The look on the faces of his three sons! They'll all be so proud of him. The new count of Guines!

His excitement, unfortunately, was dampered when he arrived home. His wife and children were nowhere to be found.

Worse yet, though, was the fact that there was a man sitting in his chair. A man who looked rather unhappy.

Upon seeing the new count, Juvenal Quentis said four simple words.

"We need to talk."

Reactions:
Wonderful stuff. I'm wondering what they will talk about :D

He's totally eaten them.

Seriously, either that or murdered them in cold blood. Somehow I am rather neurotic about this Juvenal-character.