• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Preparations
January 1st, 1938 through January 1st, 1939

Once again, Premier Casanova's opinion won the day, this time with overwhelming support for increasing war readiness.

Concerns still jung in the air as they all left the parlament building, however. Manpower was still slow to grow. The Iberists were facing the opposite situation, with intel reporting a growing army.

However, the year seemed to start off on a good note. In February, the final factory in Huesca was finished, and trade deals worked out. By March, all factories working at full productivity because of the influx of resources from other nations.
ScreenSave60.jpg

The Conselleria de Segureta was called upon against to increase production through more advanced machine tools.
ScreenSave61.jpg

The first new infantry division since independence was ordered. Concerns still floated about in Casanova's head as to how they were going to stop the menacing Iberist army, especially the large group stationed in Bilbao for seemingly no purpose.
ScreenSave62.jpg

The division was finished and placed under the command of Major General de l'Orange, a balanced combat expert.
ScreenSave64.jpg

ScreenSave68.jpg

Fabrica d'Armes Montsolís was ordered to make an even better computing machine. And the Conselleria de Segureta was tasked on construction engineering projects. This was all the same routine as last year. Casanova wondered how long this status quo might last. He hoped the answer was forever.

ScreenSave67.jpg

With the final Barcelona factories complete, the next production orders were 3 mountaineer divisions and 12 militia divisions. Huesca was simple enough to defend, being very mountainous. Mountaineers, with their training and equipment, could make short work of an Iberist attack by regular infantry 4 times their size. Casanova hoped this was true and those divisions in Bilbao were simple infantry, not equipped or trained for the high altitudes. Problem was, there was no way those mountaineers could be finished in any timely manner. Popular militias made a comeback because of the numbers of them that could be brought up in a short period of time.
ScreenSave65.jpg

The first militia was finished and placed under the command of Remei Rodoreda, who held the rank of Major General. Ironic, since the militias were usually at least partly drafted. Well, at least their training was a little bit less rushed.

ScreenSave69.jpg

This was worrying news. Casanova and his government hadn't been paying attention to Germany, and suddenly this happens. However, it still wasn't an immediate concern. Catalonia had dangerous and powerful neighbors of her own to worry about.

Casanova arrived at the Parlament sleepy, though still optimistic. Things appeared to be going well enough.
"Another year passes, and Catalonia continues to steadily grow stronger. Our factories have reached peak efficiency and our army grows. Just how much has it grown? Comrade Field Marshal Heinrich von Schnitzel will show us."
The lights dimmed as the projector was switched on.
ScreenSave72.jpg

"That's 4 infantry divisions, 3 militias, and our light armor division, all organized and lined up along the border with Iberia.", the Chief of the Army said. Not with any particular pride, "There's an awful lot of Iberist divisions stationed in Bilbao, and all of us up here are concerned."

"Thank you. Now, Comrade Marín i Bobé, have your spies got anything important to report?"

"That they do! We've killed every spy that's been peeking at us! And installed a whole bunch of spies within the Iberist government!"
ScreenSave73.jpg

"Their findings are seen here."

"Well everything about that report is worrying. Their army is now almost 8 times larger than our's. However, comrades, I will give you this. Our independence is still guaranteed by Italy and France. I know they aren't the best friends, but I believe this is about the only way to save ourselves. Unless the Iberists are willing to wait until 1945. Comrade Rossco, please give us any details on our diplomatic situation."

Clipboard03.jpg

"We are trading with the USSR, Trentino-Alto Adige, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Sweden. So far, only the USSR really likes us. France likes us a lot, too, though, and Trentino-Alto Adige, Belgium, and the Netherlands are on good terms. Sweden doesn't really like us. I feel we need to join the Comintern, but so far, our attempts have been unsuccessful. I don't have anything else to say for now."

"What of the situation in China?"

ScreenSave74.jpg

"The Japanese have cut China in two. I wouldn't bet on the Chinese winning this war anytime soon."

"Well, southern China is very mountainous. Anyways, there isn't anything else to say of importance but keep up the good work everyone.", everyone, once again, filed out, and, once again, it was time to decide on policy.
ScreenSave82.jpg

"Alright, now. I personally want another move towards the hawk end of the scale."

Power to the people! (Democratic)
Power to the Party! (Authoritarian)
We don't need to be so radical. (Right-wing)
We need to further eliminate dissidents! (Closed Society)
We need to take control of our industries. (Central Planning)
Government control over the industries is not necessary. (Free Market)
We need a more professional army. (Standing Army)
We need to increase conscription. (Draft Army)
We need to prepare for the worst. (Hawk Lobby) (4)
- Joaquim Casanova
- Alejandro Finisterre
- Rasputin Iwanowitsch Polkov
- Pontus von Hääfe
-Rossco Matthias
We need to allocate more to domestic spending. (Dove Lobby)
We need to intervene in world affairs! (Interventionism)
We need to focus on domestic issues. (Isolationism)

---
IC is at 32/26. :) Any Catalans mind telling me what escamot mollerussa means? I figure escamot means at least something like militia, but the second word, I have no clue.

Last edited:
We need to prepare for the worst! Fund the Basques! Fund the French commies!

Well, we should first arm our own people, before spreading the revolution...

We must get our whole nation ready for War! Now, that Germany starts occupying other nations, it's only a matter of time, until the Iberist move against us! We must be prepared!

(Hawk Lobby once again :D )

Admiral R.I.Polkov

My vote goes for Hawk lobby...

Those divisions at Bilbao doesn't look friendly. No French forces nearby...

SeedSnatcher said:
Any Catalans mind telling me what escamot mollerussa means? I figure escamot means at least something like militia, but the second word, I have no clue.

Mollerussa it's a Catalan village, and escamot... well... militia, so, so...

Lol, Village People.

Good update, now go build planes.

On a serious note, what is the cahnce that you have to go to war with Iberia?

Anyways, good update, glad to see your army growing. :)

Gonna go ahead and punch in my vote for Hawk Lobby. :p

Power to the people! You should go democratic. ;)

Hooray, Spain!

Really short update this time
---
Aragon or bust?
January 1st to February 26th

Another vote overwhelmingly for hawk lobby. Hopefully this was enough, but Premier Casanova, as usual, had his doubts. Backto the Palau he went to implement domestic policy.

Another militia division, this one suspiciously named Escamot Roig i Negre. (red and black militia if my Catalan > Spanish skills are not failing me?) It would probably get renamed, but whatever. It was maybe a month after they were organized that he received a communique:
Clipboard04.jpg

Evidently, the brave Aragonese thought they deserved more autonomy. So what did the Iberists do? Crack down. What do the Aragonese do? Fight back, like Catalans did over 12 years ago. He had an emergency meeting of his executive council called... This was an issue not to be overlooked.

When he arrived at a conference room in the Palau moments later, he found his advisors ready.

"Hmmm, this might be turned in our favor. So far, it might seem favorable to simply stay out, but, comrades, I cannot leave these poor people to struggle alone. In the event of war, we don't even need to worry, for France and Italy will do their best to block any attempted attacks. Or something like that. If we stand alone, we do. Our production is very much underway, and our army is projected to greatly expand with new popular militias and mountaineer units. Hopefully, we can hold our ground and show the world thw wrongs of the Iberist government. Maybe even the Soviets will get up and help. Anyway, in this situation, I quickly outlined 3 options for us. We can aid the Aragonese with arms and supplies. We can use this as a casus belli to declare war. Or we can back out of this issue entirely. I believe helping an armed revolt is within our best interests, but the risk of war is undeniable. However, if we are not seen as the aggressors, diplomatic ties will help us greatly. What do you think, comrades?"

Vote:
Option A (5)
- Joaquin Casanova
- Enric Pla i Barranquer
- Rasputin Iwanowitsch Polkov
- Remei Rodoreda
- Alejandro Finisterre
Option B (2)
- Pontus von Hääfe
- Matthias Rossco
Option C

---
That was short. :D

Last edited:
As your prime minister, I can only but agree. As we stand, we can only send weapons (Opstion A).