• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Wari Bana: Thanks! I just hold Shift + down until I fill a row in the posting window with them. That's what it turns out to, dunno why there is a space before the last few.

@stnylan: At this point there isn't too much that can go wrong. It's just about seeing what I can do before 1819.

Chapter 22 - Getting Close to the End

Clemens XIII was replaced by, you guessed it, Clemens XIV!

PS1769a.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A few years later Clemens died and the new elected pope was Pius VI.

PS1775a.jpg

Pius oversaw the dissolution of the Jesuit order, founded nearly 250 years earlier by Ignatius de Loyola. The Jesuits had become too powerful for the Pope's liking.

PS1773a.jpg

This was followed by a quarter century Jubilee

PS1775b.jpg

[I'm confused about this. The Jesuit event occurs in 1773 but is ascribed to Pius. However Pius's election takes places in 1775 and that date is confirmed in the Jubilee event. Something's wrong there. I've moved Pius's election to make the sequence make sense.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Austria still wasn't happy with Switzerland and the papal vassals thus declared war. Pius had armies camped in Milan and the Papal army therefore was the first to siege in both provinces. Switzerland was quite overmatched in this war, obviously, so it was very short. Pius had no interest in Swiss lands so he just did the obvious.

PS1780a.jpg

The Swiss war was followed by several decades of peace and quiet, tinged with trepidation at the continued stockpiling of armed forces by France. [France had the million ducat bug, but I fixed that. I checked for it again but this build up was legit.]

As a change of pace here is the diplomatic map for 1795. Note, although France is marked in red they actually like us a lot except for the embargo they won't lift. Wirtemburg broke vassalization, but I don't recall how or why. I didn't try to annex them obviously, no borders.

PS1795a.jpg

Pius was replaced by another pope of the same name.

PS1800a.jpg

This occurred in 1800, which was also supposed to be a Jubilee year. However the political situation of the time was not conducive to this. That said, the Pope refused to completely bow to Napoleon's demands. The Papacy does not fear France's might.

PS1800b.jpg

In 1805, just to prove the point above Pius through the Papal Alliance (Papal States, Austria and Poland) into war with France and Portugal. This proved to be much more than was desirable. The French armies are overwhelming in number and led by strong leaders. After two years Pius wanted to bail out of this bloodbath. Fortunately, Portugal is the alliance leader. Austria and Poland are left to their devices (i.e. to get smashed badly by France).

PS1807a.jpg

To appease his injured pride, Pius turned instead to the Safayid Empire, to test the tried and true practice of infidel purging. The Persians are well behind in tech and are easy to demolish, despite their large armies.

PS1811a.jpg

We relieve them of Irak and several Turkish provinces. Our plan was to release Ottomans as vassals again (Safayids had annexed them again to give us the CB for this war). But to do that we'd have to give up Anatolia and Smyrna. We opt not to do this. Irak is released though.

PS1812a.jpg

PS1812b.jpg

Europe and Middle East, 1812:

PS1812c.jpg

Last update tomorrow!

Not long to go now as you say. Makes your Near East holdings much tidier I have to say.

In 1815 France gets tired of an independent Provence. Provence is allied with Papal States, Austria and Poland. This is not good. We agree to join the war but France has a few armies with over 100,000 men including one just next door to us. The papal states battle it out for a while and hold the French and Portuguese armies at bay long enough to make a separate peace. Provence does not last long on its own. And with France and Portugal aligned against Poland and Austria, the Papal States former allies are in big trouble. Oh well, too bad for them!

PS1816a.jpg

For the record, France snags Steiermark, Baden and Krain off of Austria. Earlier they took Istria from Hungary in a separate war.

Peace settles in over Europe for the last couple years of play. In 1819 the citizens in Taurus decide that Catholicism is the true faith, much to the Pope's delight. This is the last significant event of the game.

PS1819a.jpg

End game political map of Europe:
PS1819b.jpg

Our diplomatic situation:
PS1819c.jpg

Along the way, the Papal States have become the leading suppliers of Wine and Salt:
PS1819d.jpg

And we have just shaded France to lead the way in victory points!
PS1819e.jpg

France was definitely aided by the earlier million ducats bug even though I toned them down when I noticed it. Mostly I had things my way, although the 1529 events with Spain were annoying. Time to move up to Hard difficulty for sure.

A very creditable gameplay AAR. Congratulations and well done.