• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
thats why encirclements are a bit silly. to complete the whole circle you have to be pretty thinly stretched, and one broken link in the chain is doom for a large chunk of the encircling troops. i only tend to use local encirclements depending on who i'm fighting. though i dont seem to be as good as discomb since i've never done multiplayer.

I want to address some statements, regarding the choises I made. The first thing on the agenda is: "I was really !@#$ing tired." It was 2 weeks of non-stop day and night gaming, and by this point I couldn't be assed to properly micromanage my armies. Hence I chose to go with two thrusts instead of more. In fact, they were originally meant to go two provinces wide, but that had to change in the north because I did not ancitipace Myth's offensive in the baltic.

I think you are all too quick to assume that I am simply going to encircle him in the center, just by the small suggestion one of his generals made in the update. Naturally, such a plan is the most likely, but by far not the only option. You will soon see what I actually did with my massive stack in the north. Remember, it's 57/24 in efficiency. It has to be split as soon as it shatters the front line, or else it's doomed to run out of organization sooner or later.

I didn't go for the industrial areas because the war began in April. If I drag it out into the next year, I am doomed to failure, as Myth's industrial might will press me into a pancake. April to October is more than enough time to work with a strong armored offensive, and I planned to completely rupture any organization he had with his armies very quickly. Then I could make encirclements and generally live happily until my eventual victory. If they are scattered and can't present a proper force anywhere, they are essentially just defending and waiting for death.

Most certainly, I put my success on the line of chance and luck, but you can't win if you don't take risks.

BritishImperial: A cold snap with snow is probably rather unlikely in early May ;)

TheExecuter: Interesting analysis, though I think I'd disagree on Discomb not having the strategic initiative, at this point I only have indicators showing where he might go. Both his northern and southern thrusts have potential for a lot more than a simple massive Cannae with my center: his norther thrust could turn toward the Baltic and encircle three entire fronts if it reached the sea; the southern front could turn eastward and easily burst through my Ukrainian defenses and there'd be little beyond that could really slow it down. Also, Discomb knows one of my weaknesses that I don't think you do: I dislike having to deal with industrial production at war. This in effect means that the army I went to war with will be the army I end the war with, permanent formation losses notwithstanding. Only an emergency on the scale of losing several Fronts will force me to turn back to production and even then it'll take a while to gear up to the point where the new formations will have much of any effect at all. :p

trekaddict: That's true :p

BritishImperial: I like encirclements. Also, multiplayer is awesome, particularly if it's on a LAN network where you can shout and swear at your opponent and see the despair burst onto his face when you complete your masterpiece maneuver and are ranging in his rear unopposed ;)

Discomb: I was involved in all this same gaming that you were, though, and had work at the Ministry of Defense besides that. And I guess you didn't realize that I don't particularly like industrial production at war :p

Also, I didn't have the opportunity to write a second update this past weekend for tomorrow since I was so busy. So unless I write one on the off-chance tonight there won't be one tomorrow, though I'll try not to disappoint (but my dissertation research comes first, another three hours of reading tonight).

Discomb said:
I want to address some statements, regarding the choises I made.

:cool:

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that your plan respects Myth's abilities as better than the average AI opponent. I do wonder though at your assumption that the war need be 'over' in a 6 month period...that is one hell of a risk! Looking forward to seeing how the panzer armies of Discomb meet the mechanized / combined arms forces of the Rodina...

TheExecuter

Myth said:
Discomb: I was involved in all this same gaming that you were, though, and had work at the Ministry of Defense besides that. And I guess you didn't realize that I don't particularly like industrial production at war :p
1) I played more than you as I was also fulfilling my duties to my Guildwars guild by day, and playing with you by night.

2) I can't say I knew you didn't like handling production, but I took a hint from the number of times you put everything into reinforcements as soon as war started. I was just really worried about the winter. Since there will be no progress at all with armor, you would have an enormous amount of free IC to build up your own motorized counterattack. Recall the last game you played as the soviet union. :)

TheExecuter: But for all you know, I just might be a really good Turing machine! :p

Discomb: Guild Wars hardly compares to actual work, though. And I remember the previous game we had played when I was the SU, the only reason I had production going was because I hadn't finished it before war was declared. Once those final runs had been completed that was it for production. :p

Unfortunately, I don't have an update ready, so the next one will have to be on Sunday.

17 kilometers east of Suwalki
May 3, 1942

It had been a long time since Nikifor Talenskij had felt fear. It had been years and years ago when he had asked Katya to an evening dance. That fear had twisted his teenage gut terribly. He was feeling terror now. Nikifor looked around at the stony faces around him. They were on a rickety truck, probably the same one they had boarded over six years earlier for an exercise east of Smolensk back in December 1935. This truck was rattling down a pot-holed dirt road as part of a convoy of similar trucks. They were going into battle at last, and all knew the reputation Suwalki had already achieved of being a meat-grinder. Nikifor looked around at the stony faces around him, the faces of his squad mates. They were uniformly hard, frozen almost as if they were simply on another exercise. Yet, unlike on exercise, there was little talking; the mood was somber. The light of a full moon turned familiar facial features into flinty silverish edifices casting dark and strict shadows that allowed no light to penetrate into them. It was only when Nikifor looked into their eyes, luminous in the darkness, that he saw that their eyes likely reflected his own. He was looking into eyes that were deep wells of fright.

Every man held his Mosin-Nagant rifle upright between his knees, most clasping it with both hands and both knees to prevent any rattling. The lucky few, such as Junior Lieutenant Evgenij Bessonov and probably Lieutenant Leonid Brezhnev, were armed with automatic PPSh’s rather than the bolt-action Mosin-Nagant. Sergeant Andrei Suvorin had a compromise between the two, a semi-automatic Tokorev SVT rifle. Nikifor jerked as the seeming unnatural quiet, which seemed so despite the dozens of engines growling down the road, was broken by far off thunder, the barking of German artillery. Officers, including Bessonov, took up their whistles and soon their shrill reports were casting about in the darkness to men who were nearly frozen to their seats. The whistles, however, initiated some sort of automatic reaction in their bodies as they piled out of the trucks and quickly formed up on their NCOs. No one knew what was happening; it was an apparently unscheduled stop and the darkness was oppressive as the moon hid its benign face behind a thick cloud in despair.

That was when the artillery shells came down, several hundred meters from where Nikifor and his squad mates had congregated around Suvorin. Unfortunate trucks shattered into bursts of flame that drew cries of German surprise. Star shells launched from a far away darkness that cast a harsh glare upon the world, broken up by the pot-holed road and at least one length of German trench only several hundred meters away. Then began a sound that would haunt Nikifor for the rest of his life, it sounded like tearing aluminum; it was an MG42. Men began screaming to Nikifor’s right as sergeants bellowed at their men to disperse, and find cover. Somehow they had been driving parallel to some German trenchworks without alerting the enemy until just then.

Nikifor stood, rooted in place and staring in shock at the Germans, who were pouring out of communications trenches in various states of undress but resolutely clutching weapons and beginning to use them. Russian soldiers rushed about, some fleeing behind the trucks but others forward to the nearest cover on the German side of the road to fire back. Suvorin, bellowing at the top of his lungs, ordered an advance and began pushing his men toward rocks or ditches to take cover. He unceremoniously applied his boot to Nikifor’s posterior, forcefully kick-pushing him toward a boulder that he stumbled to and collapsed behind, joined just as brusquely by Dima Kafelnikov. Suvorin finally took cover himself behind the same rock outcropping, which to Nikifor felt like only a pebble, kneeling with his rifle held tightly in his hands. Nikifor looked to his right, to Dima, to see terror etched on his face. He looked to his left, to Suvorin, to see a visage of stone. Nikifor had barely time to reflect that he was finally in battle when Suvorin clapped Dima on the shoulder. “Kafelnikov! There’s another rock three meters forward and to the right. It looked big enough to cover you. Go! Talenskij and I will cover you.”

Dima gasped but, like an automaton, pushed himself to his feet and looked expectantly at the two men he was to leave behind. Slapping Nikifor’s arm with his knuckles, Suvorin adjusted himself to get ready to pop up to have a line of sight of the German trenches. Nikifor did the same. He could see Suvorin counting in his head, and when German fire seemed to be slacking he hissed. “Kafelnikov, now!”

Dima shuddered out from behind the rock as Suvorin and Nikifor crouched higher and shot toward the German trenches, more to force them to duck down rather than hit any of them. With an indistinct shout, Suvorin fell down behind the rock outcropping again, his exclamation dragging Nikifor down with him. Suvorin sat down, his back propped up by the rock. He still held his rifle tightly. Nikifor emulated him, but his grip was not as tight. His hands were shaking with adrenalin, laced with fear. He looked over to Suvorin, he glanced back at him unconcernedly. “Don’t worry, Talenskij. This is only an outpost. It’s designed for all-around defense, but with nothing heavier than a couple of those machine guns. Probably only a couple dozen Germans there, they’ll be taken care of soon and then we’ll bunk down for the night no doubt. Can’t have soldiers fighting with no sleep for extended periods of time. Besides, they’re probably more tired than we are, they’re veterans. That means that they’ve probably already fought two or three times for that damn town of Suwalki already. We’ll make them fight for it another two or three times, yeah?”

His confident speech-making at an end, Suvorin turned around and popped up to fire at the German trenches again. He ducked back down in time to receive a courier running laterally along the Soviet lines with a message: a full charge at 23:25. Suvorin looked at his watch in the diminishing light provided by the fading star shells. It was nearly time. He glanced over at Talenskij again as the courier dashed forward along the line to pass the news and grinned savagely. Nikifor looked in some fear at Suvorin’s hard, vengeful visage.

It was the face of battle.

The MG42 ( known as MG3 to the Bundeswehr ) is terrifying enough in its current design, back then, with the higher calibre and without the ammo-saving "NATO break" it must have been downright incredible.

Brezhnev?
I smell shark-jumping. :p

Discomb, I have taken up your practice of brigading my Panzers with Engineers, and I must say it helps immensly with those River Crossings in Russia.

I forgot to do replies this morning! :eek:

trekaddict: Oh yes, it's one of the most feared sounds of the Second World War :p

ColossusCrusher: He also featured in a previous soldiers episode, he's a political commissar (he was historically as well, though around in the Stalingrad/Caucasus area IIRC) :p

trekaddict, TheHyphenated1: I like my way of crossing rivers better. Namely, get there before the enemy does ;)

Update tomorrow!

Myth said:
trekaddict, TheHyphenated1: I like my way of crossing rivers better. Namely, get there before the enemy does ;)

weeell, sometimes you don't have much of a choice. :D

trekaddict said:
Discomb, I have taken up your practice of brigading my Panzers with Engineers, and I must say it helps immensly with those River Crossings in Russia.

Interestingly, I dropped that habit after this game. All my foot infantry still have engineers, but for armored spearheads I now put SP Artillery on armor, and engineers on motorized. That way they are able to move at the armor's unmodified speed, and get a heavy firepower boost.

But yes, engineer brigades are epic. Rivers no longer become chokepoints, and you can often outrun a retreating enemy if he is retreating across a river.

Discomb said:
Interestingly, I dropped that habit after this game. All my foot infantry still have engineers, but for armored spearheads I now put SP Artillery on armor, and engineers on motorized. That way they are able to move at the armor's unmodified speed, and get a heavy firepower boost.

But yes, engineer brigades are epic. Rivers no longer become chokepoints, and you can often outrun a retreating enemy if he is retreating across a river.

I must have to try that too.

trekaddict: True, true, and especially hopefully with my many changes that I've been effecting in the past half year ;)

Discomb, trekaddict: I've always put SPART on armor, and in the past year I've switched from ENG to AC for motorized infantry for the extra organization :p

Update coming up!

13 kilometers east of Suwalki
May 4, 1942

Nikifor felt like a veteran already. He had survived the fighting around the outpost, which had inflicted several casualties upon the battalion before it was finally overrun. Fortunately, no one from his squad was hit and the battalion had gone to sleep in and around the German outpost in high spirits. The high morale continued into the next morning, when they resumed their advance. The battalion’s morning was spent as the vanguard of the brigade, brushing past other German outposts that had been flung out and slowly pushing until they hit the main German outpost line. Nikifor had seen dozens of men killed and wounded by that time, most of them Germans. By the early afternoon, they were forcing a break-in of the outpost line, around a tiny town whose name nobody knew.

Nikifor was crouching down in a ditch he had slithered in to, finally joining the squad with extra ammunition from the rear. The artillery preparation was just about to cease and they had to be ready to attack. Distributing what he had picked up, everyone steeled themselves for action. It was known that the Germans were holding the village in force as it occupied a vital road junction; there was certainly at least two full platoons of panzer grenadiers and possibly tanks as well. The thought made Nikifor nervous, they had not yet faced any armor and the prospect did not comfort him. Bessonov was speaking in a low voice, telling them of the general plan of assault. It seemed impressive enough to Nikifor; it would involve one company—his company—hitting the village head-on as the other maneuvered onto its flank. The third company would wait as a reserve in case its employment was necessary. And then the artillery preparation ended. Bessonov’s whistle was to his mouth at once and it shrilly announced the attackers’ intentions, along with dozens of other whistles. With a loud ‘urrah’ they were clambering out of the ditch and rushing across a short field meant to graze cattle toward the town.

They were halfway over when an MG42 opened up on them. And then another. Martial bellows turned to screams as men were hit and tumbled down into the grass. Nikifor felt as if every single machine gun was aiming directly at him, though it was the men around him that were being flailed by the bullets. And then, mere gasps of breath later, the soldiers were running across the hard-packed dirt road and grenades were hurtling through the air to enter fortified houses through windows and doors. The men of the battalion were compacting, pouring through the few streets leading deeper into the town. Doors and windows flashed by Nikifor as the soldiers surged forward. Out of the corner of his eye, unremarked upon by his mind in any deliberate manner, he saw a German face framed by a high window, shocked at the deluge of men down the road, before bullet ended his surprise and, indeed, his life. Suddenly, they were on the other side of the town and halted unwillingly against an abyss of empty fields between the village and the nearby forest. The two German platoons had been utterly swept away by the tide of men, their broken remnants fleeing across the fields. The whistles sounded again. They had to reach that forest.

Nikifor could see the company mass of the flanking force pushing forward as well, having turned at the last moment to prevent it from counter-charging its own comrades. It all seemed too easy as the men stretched their legs to attempt to cover as much ground as possible in each single bound. Occasionally a sharp-eyed soldier would kneel, aim and fire, dropping one of the fleeing Germans. They were dwindling in number; Soviet bullets were just as deadly as German ones. Nikifor could make out German officers gesticulating at unseen men at the edges of the forest, framed by the oak boughs and birch branches. Nikifor’s mind had no time to comprehend this before the earth erupted all up and down the company onrushing line. Men, or their parts, were thrown about as rag dolls as a vehicle trundled out of the forest, a half-track of some sort. Its machine gun was blazing.

Bursts of small arms fire discharged from the woods, decimating the Soviet frontrunners. A handful of German infantry sallied out from the safety of the trees, singing the Panzerlied as they charged forward against the wavering Soviet infantry. Suvorin, next to Nikifor, dropped to one knee and began firing off shots at the Germans. Nikifor uncertainly emulated him, but as bullets came his way he dropped further onto his stomach. The Germans were leading a charmed life; the fire of dozens of men was striking all about them but none of them fell. The half-track furiously spat bullets toward the Soviets, scything down those who were unlucky enough to have been chosen as targets. Suvorin bellowed. “Talenskij! Chafirov! Shoot that bastard half-track machine gunner! He’s traversing his gun this way!”

Both desperately adjusted their aiming, but the man was revealing too little of his body to danger. Neither could hit him, though they were sure that they saw him flinch as bullets ricocheted off of the half-track near him. And then the storm of lead enveloped their area, Nikifor pressed himself down into the grass as much as possible as bullets whined overhead. Then he heard a heart-rending scream, and saw out of the corner of his eye Dima Kafelnikov clutching his shoulder. And then Dima simply began jerking back and forth as the machine gunner found his vulnerable target. Nikifor could only watch in horror, only dimly aware that the singing handful of German infantry was getting closer with every moment. Out of the forest lurched a tank of some sort, its own coaxial machine gun blazing and its main gun thundering a warning of high explosive toward the Soviet infantry.

The company was melting away. Arsenij Chafirov had vanished from Nikifor’s side, Suvorin’s bellowing was becoming more distant as well. Nikifor pulled himself up and stumbled away, back towards the village. The Soviet soldiers were flowing through it as precipitously as they had been just minutes before, but going the other way. Germans who had hidden away during the storming of the village were manning their weapons, taking a vengeance on their attackers. The field they had crossed so easily attacking the village had become a trap of glowing tracers and mortar rounds whose deadly intersection devastated the fleeing men. Sliding into the ditch where they had started the attack, many paused to regroup and catch their breath before ascertaining quickly who had been left behind and who was still whole. Amazingly, out of Nikifor’s squad mates, only Dima was missing. Nikifor’s breathing was ragged with more than simply the exertion of the past ten minutes.

Unfortunately, they could not stay. Detonations around the ditch began as mortar rounds felt their way forward. Tired, heartbroken and shattered men clambered out of the ditch and kept retreating. A mortar round then dropped directly into the trench, exploding just behind Vadim Radek. He cried out in surprise and pain and fell back into the trench. Nikifor hesitated a moment, then he shouted for Arsenij and they dashed back and dived into the ditch. Worried that the German counterattack would reach the ditch any moment, they bodily threw Vadim’s shuddering body out of the ditch and climbed out again themselves. Holding him between them, they attempted to make up for lost time, dashing forward as quickly as they could.

In the end, it was only after the third company of the battalion had been committed to stemming the localized German counterattack that they even regained their jump-off positions along the ditch. Only later would they realize that the Germans had launched a counterattack all along the line, completely wrecking the corps’ chances at penetrating into Suwalki that day. At the end of the day, however, there were two images that had burned themselves into Nikifor’s mind. The first was that of Dima’s deadly jerking body. The second was the handful of singing Germans who launched into a hopeless, hopeless counterattack against a hundred times their number. And succeeding in it.

Nikifor was too tired and too shocked to reflect upon it.

Myth said:
trekaddict: True, true, and especially hopefully with my many changes that I've been effecting in the past half year ;)

Discomb, trekaddict: I've always put SPART on armor, and in the past year I've switched from ENG to AC for motorized infantry for the extra organization :p

Update coming up!

I usually put SPART on armour and Mot/mec, but I will switch the last to egineers now.

If it uses gas, and isn't Infantry-based or Cavalry (read, ARM/MEC/MOT) I put SP-ART on it. I'm a SP-ART guy, what can I say? :D