• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 11, 1940
Silistra, Bulgaria

"I don't want to hear it, Brauer."

"I wasn't going to say anything, sir."

"Yeah well, tell me that you weren't thinking it." When Brauer remained silent, Helmut nodded and said, "Thought so."

They were lying on their stomachs atop a small rise and staring down at the small city of Silistra. Dawn had just broken and the city was still and quiet. Beyond it they could clearly see the Danube. They could also see groups of enemy soldiers patrolling along the outskirts. If Helmut wanted to turn and look over his shoulder at the way they had come, he would see another group of Bulgarian soldiers closing in from behind. They were hemmed in with Bulgarians on all sides.

He glanced over at Brauer, who had been bemoaning Helmut's decision not to execute the men in the cabin for the past two days, and sighed. Perhaps Brauer had been right. Perhaps their present situation was one that precluded mercy, that required harsh measures. He had just simply not been able to give the order. Even now, he wasn't completely sure why. It was, after all, an order that he had given before. This time, though, he had looked into those men's eyes and decided to leave them in peace. He would be willing to admit, though, that it had been a serious mistake not to have tied the men up in some fashion. Rather than bind them, Helmut had instead forced the men into the shed that stood near the cabin. Gesturing with both his hands and his weapon, he had tried to convey instructions for the men to remain inside before he shut the door. He had then thrown the latch, but had not locked the shed. That way, the men would have been able to escape eventually but not before he and his comrades were long gone.

They had moved quickly after that, sure that the Bulgarian Army would soon be searching for them. They had, in fact, come across the first signs of pursuit the next day. They had emerged from the woods at a cross-section of a major roadway. Helmut had decided to take that as an opportunity to consult his map and try to get his bearings. He was staring hard at the map, trying to find the road that he was standing on, when he had heard Nagel shout that several vehicles were coming up the roadway. They had just managed to take cover among the trees before two trucks loaded with Bulgarian soldiers passed slowly by. While they watched, men jumped from the vehicles and began to fan out into the wood behind where they were hiding. Moving as silently as possible, Helmut and his companions had slipped away as the Bulgarians searched the area they had just vacated. Not long afterward they had noticed small aircraft flying overhead. Helmut was sure that they had been spotted from above at some point. It was the only way to explain how close the Bulgarian pursuit was.

Helmut had originally hoped to cross into Romania through it's land connection to Bulgaria, but the fact that he was farther west than he had assumed made a crossing of the Danube River necessary. To do that, they would need a boat of some kind and that meant going through a city or town. Thus they had come to Silistra. The only problem now was getting past the patrols and into the city. After that they could make their way to the river and commandeer a vessel. They were going to need to move quickly, though. The group of enemy soldiers advancing on them from the rear would not take long to reach them.

Helmut turned to Brauer and Nagel and said, "Alright, listen up. We're going to head out around the city to the west. That way, we can use the tree line for cover right up until we reach the city. We'll slip past or neutralize any patrols we encounter and enter the city. After that, we head to the river and seize a mode of transport. If we get separated for any reason, just remember to head toward the river. Got it?"

Brauer and Nagel nodded their understanding and the small group moved off toward the city. They kept themselves completely in the trees until they reached the edge of the city, not far from where it met the Danube. Helmut cautiously moved toward the edge of the wood and looked around. He was about to step into the open when he spotted two enemy soldiers coming his way. He stepped back and motioned for Nagel and Brauer to stay put. Once they had passed, Helmut slipped out into the open and directed the others to follow. They moved from the trees and into the city. Keeping together, they began to head toward the river, all the while careful to avoid being seen by what people might be out at this hour.

They had made it most of the way toward the river without having been detected, and Helmut began to allow himself to hope that they would escape the city without incident. That hope would be very short lived. The trio had just rounded the corner to come in front of a tall official-looking building when they found themselves face to face with a uniformed individual. He went for a weapon at his side even as the three brought their weapons up and the quiet was shattered by gunfire. The uniformed man was thrown backwards as bullets hammered into his body. He fell, dead before he hit the ground. Helmut heard a shrill sound behind him and turned to see another man wearing the same type of uniform blowing a whistle from the steps of the building. Brauer fired and the man's body tumbled down the steps.

The three men began running away from the building as more men poured out of it and began firing in their direction. They ran, weaving between the buildings, with the sounds of pursuit growing loud behind them and Helmut half smiled despite the danger as a sudden sense of déjà vu came to him. The river soon appeared before them and they quickened their pace. Reaching the riverbank, they looked round for a means of escape and Helmut heard Brauer shout that he had found a boat. Helmut turned toward their pursuers and fired a burst from his MP40 in hopes of keeping them back and ran to wear Brauer was standing next to a medium sized rowboat. Helmut made a negative gesture and said, "Not this one. We need to find something with an engine."

Brauer shouted back, "We don't really have time to conduct a search, sir!"

Helmut turned back, saw the uniformed men that he assumed were policemen coming closer and noticed that Bulgarian Army uniforms were now scattered among them as well. He could see that Brauer was right, they had no time. Still though, they wouldn't make it in that rowboat. It was too slow, the Bulgarians would easily be able to pick them off before they had even gone half way across the river. Helmut weighed the situation, realized that there was only one way this would work.

"Alright, we'll take this one.", he said. Brauer climbed in as Nagel pulled a knife from his belt and cut the rope that held the boat to shore before climbing inside. Nagel turned and offered a hand to Helmut. Helmut approached the boat, but stopped short of climbing inside. He looked down at Nagel and thought of Achen as he said, "I was wrong before when I said that we only lose our friends. Sometimes we get to send them on ahead."

With that, he put his boot against the bow of the rowboat and pushed. He saw Nagel's hand slowly drop as the craft glided out onto the river. With Nagel's protests coming to him from across the water, he turned to face the Bulgarians.

Last edited:
Brave, I hope he comes out alright. Helmut is my favorite character by far, I'd hate to see him die now. I've been rootin' for that lad since the beginning of it all.

Very suspenseful. I'm just hoping the Bulgarians are open to taking him as a prisoner. If not then maybe Bulgaria will announce it's surrender or a German offensive can suddenly sweep through that area, mid-shootout? :rofl:

Where is Hausser when one needs him!

Or Rommel!

Or Rudel and his Stukas!

Actually if the Bulgarian capture Helmut unless they kill him in the heat of the moment I suppose we would see him turned over to the British who would probably love to get a hold of him.

kiahoga said:
Actually if the Bulgarian capture Helmut unless they kill him in the heat of the moment I suppose we would see him turned over to the British who would probably love to get a hold of him.

Let me guess, he then escapes from there, but not before nearly capturing the King?

Not nearly capturing the King. He will capture him. He'll also kill off or capture three fifths of the Bulgarian army while killing of Iosef Stalin who is on a state visit. ;)

Kampf_Machen said:
Not nearly capturing the King. He will capture him. He'll also kill off or capture three fifths of the Bulgarian army while killing of Iosef Stalin who is on a state visit. ;)

I was talking about the Brits..... :wacko:

Nice................

Helmut (the Invincible) will stop the Bulgarian pursuit long enough to escape into the water.......and swim across because he is a secret Olympic champion??? Or something like that.

Or-Nagel will get to the other side, find Germans in Rumania (who are preparing to invade Bulgaria) and come back across in force to rescue Helmut.

Haha

KLorberau

Kampf_Machen(1): Favorite character, huh? You know, I often wonder which characters are the more popular ones, or who everybody would like to see more of. I would be interested in feedback of that nature.

HKslan: I think a bigger concern than whether or not the Bulgarians are willing to take him prisoner would be whether or not Helmut is willing to let himself be taken prisoner. I wouldn't count on the cavalry suddenly arriving.

Kurt_Steiner: As we will see in the next couple of updates, Rommel and Rudel are very busy right now. Hausser on the other hand is in Berlin dealing with a very angry Fuhrer.

kiahoga: Now that is a very good point.

trekaddict: Damn it! I hate when people guess the next plot twist. I guess I'll have to scrap the update about Helmut's daring and single-handed attack on Buckingham Palace and go with something else. ;)

Kampf_Machen(2): Helmut is certainly a very capable man, but I think his current situation is beyond him right now.

KLorberau: Haha, I'm afraid that none of those things will happen. Helmut stands very much alone right now.

I'm going to be riding the double shift express for quite some time over the next couple of weeks, so I can't really say when the next update will be ready, though I can say it will be awhile. Just wanted to give everyone that little heads-up. Yes, I realize that means that I'm leaving things with a sort of semi-cliffhanger( I'm not sure if that last post qualifies as a full fledged cliffhanger) but it can't be helped. As soon as I get close to having the next update ready, I'll let you all know.

Glad to help Herr Hardraade. If it helps the inner conflict and every changing character that makes up Helmut is what makes him my favorite. I like Nagel because he's a good lad. Otto is very Prussian it seems to me, Prussian in that he's loyal to his nation, doesn't get mixed up in politics, honourable, and upstanding.
Oh and I enjoy hearing about the kids, I do hope one of your upcoming updates will feature them.

Sooooo... Hardraade....

When's the next update huh? :)
Sorry, I'm a bit of an addict now. I check daily. Lol.

A tough decision, the self sacrifice... however, the only way it will truly work is if Helmut actually refrains from firing into the Bulgarians, for that will only get their blood fired up and cause them to finish everything off at once (including Nagel and Brauer).

Soo, what we have here is a chance for Helmut to once more find himself alone with no place to go to once again face his inner demons. This should prove to be interesting to say the least.

Since we can count on this cliff-hanger to last a least a while... I'll start the countdown before the Angry Mob can start gathering for ten days. ;)

Kampf_Machen(1): Your description of Otto is a very good one. So you'd like to see more of the kids? I'm sure that I can arrange something along those lines in the future.

Kampf_Machen(2): While I'm happy to see such enthusiasm for the story, I'm afraid that I have to hold to my earlier comments about the time frame for the next update. Sorry.

Draco Rexus: Helmut definitely needs to both buy time and draw them away from the area where Nagel and Brauer are making their crossing if at all possible. Given who Helmut is and how he views his duty as a soldier, I don't think we can expect him to be even considering surrender and capture, so he may not be getting any time to reflect on anything. Ten days? I'll certainly try, but I can't commit to that. Lucky for me angry mobs are more of a concern of yours. I think the most I have to fear would be an angry gathering. ;)

You think 52,734 views is all from us? There are lurkers man! People who comment not. The walls are watching!! No... I'm not on acid. Just VERY tired. Anyways I certainly hope for an update but not at your expense mate. Take as long as you need. :)

Kampf_Machen said:
You think 52,734 views is all from us? There are lurkers man! People who comment not. The walls are watching!! No... I'm not on acid. Just VERY tired. Anyways I certainly hope for an update but not at your expense mate. Take as long as you need. :)

Perhaps you're right. I can say that I will certainly get the update posted as soon as I am able. The problem with all of these double shifts is that I spend my time doing one of three things:
1. Working
2. Sleeping
3. Existing in a state of incoherence and dementia brought on by exhaustion

Hardraade said:

So that's what you were doing during the Spanish campaign! :D

Terribly sorry, but I coudln't resist. :eek:o :D

Hardraade said:

If you forget 1 and 2 and "brought on by exhaustion", here you have my daily life quite accurately depicted. :D ;)