• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
kiahoga(1): Helmut has certainly stepped into a darker place. How far he goes remains to be seen.

Kampf_Machen(1): Good to hear.

Kampf_Machen(2): Helmut has only just started settling the score.

HKslan: I won't deny that recent events have left Helmut a little unstable, but he was actually using the lamp to help him remember John's face. The only time that he had ever seen his face before was in muzzles flashes after all. John's fate will be covered soon enough, but not right away. As it seems that the last fifty updates were Helmut ones, I figured that the readers would like a change of scenery for the next updates.

Kampf_Machen(3): Helmut is certainly not going to let them get away with what they've done, but update wise that will be later. I actually like writing for Otto more than Helmut, but I always seem to focus heavily on Helmut regardless. Go figure. :)

kiahoga(2): Yes! I was beginning to think that I was the only one who remembered that movie. It's a favorite of mine and I've actually referenced it several times throughout the story. Reconciliation with Heydrich? You're right, that would be scary. ;)

Sheepguard: I have been turning my mind every once in awhile to what will happen to my characters at the end of the war(those that are still alive of course :D ). The Legion is actually something that has crossed my mind for Helmut, but that would really only be in the event of a German defeat of course. The last time Helmut faced a situation like this, he acted very drastically and paid a heavy emotional price. Perhaps this time he will show some restraint, but this is Helmut we're talking about. :)
I'm glad you liked the point of view change in the last update. I've always believed that what's good or bad depends on your perception. You're always going to believe that your side is right and your enemy is wrong. Isn't it natural then that they would feel the same way?

Hordox: Helmut is walking a dangerous line again, isn't he? Corinne couldn't speak, but Helmut knew what she wanted to say and he responded in kind.

Of course its "naturaly" in a philosophical way to think your side is right - in any other case you really wouldn't want to be on your on side wouldn't you?

But for most people it isn't a given fact that the others could be right in their own way to...

If Germany wins the war he will be bored to death...

Eagerly awaiting the next update. I hope Helmut can come to terms with the fact that it wasn't (completely) his fault. It's sad about Corinne but hopefully he can get back to his woman in Germany after the war and be happy.

Hardraade said:
HKslan: I won't deny that recent events have left Helmut a little unstable, but he was actually using the lamp to help him remember John's face. The only time that he had ever seen his face before was in muzzles flashes after all. John's fate will be covered soon enough, but not right away. As it seems that the last fifty updates were Helmut ones, I figured that the readers would like a change of scenery for the next updates.
Oh, very clever with the lamp then. I wish I'd caught that one. Also I forgot about our friend in the Balkans--Friedrich? Either covering him or Otto or whoever, I'll be glad to read it.

Can't wait!

Nice updates......unfortunately for the partisans the devil is unleashed on them......I pity the fools......

Hoorah for Nagel....Hope he has a nice long recovery with his bride.....Sorry about Corrine, but I still think she was a partisan....just got caught in the crossfire.....I could be wrong I guess....but just suspicious....

Where is Otto?? Bring him into the story soon!!

KLorberau

Update maybe?? I don't know what I'll do without the goodness of RtG:AGAAR (Return to Glory: A Germania AAR). :(

Sheepguard: You could be right. Helmut certainly doesn't seem like the type to settle into a nice quiet life, does he?

Kampf_Machen(1): I don't know if he's going to get over it anytime soon, but it is a good bet that he'll soon be taking his negative feelings out on a certain group of Frenchmen. ;)

HKslan: We'll be getting back to the Balkans very soon, but Otto is up next.

SeleucidRex: Thanks.

KLorberau: Helmut, Max, and the gang are fixing to roll on some Frenchies all right. I can almost hear the A-team theme now... :D
Hmm... you never trusted her at all did you?

Kampf_Machen(2): In that case, I'm happy to announce that the next update will post later today.

Hordox: Thanks for the enthusiasm. The update is a little short, but I'll be making up for it by posting another one pretty soon.

March 9, 1940
Berlin, Germany

"Hello there, how was school today?"

"Fine.", replied Otto Wolf with a smile. He crossed the kitchen to his wife and kissed her on the cheek before sitting down at the table. A moment later, Elsa handed him a cup of coffee and joined him. After she had carefully settled herself in Elsa asked, "Was today more interesting?"

Otto shrugged and responded, "Somewhat. Next week will be better though, we're finally going to get some hands on time with the new panzers."

"They're certainly taking their time in letting you play with your new toy, aren't they?"

Otto shrugged, "It's not unreasonable for them to want us to understand these machines before we get our hands on them. After all, these new panzers cost around a quarter of a million Reichsmarks."

Elsa's eyes widened at the rather hefty price tag and she responded, "I certainly understand their caution then. Still though, I imagine that all this classroom work and waiting is driving Hertz crazy."

Otto laughed, "That would be an understatement, my dear."

Elsa laughed with him, but her smile faded after a moment. Picking up a letter, she handed it to Otto and said, "This came for us from the school today."

His smile fading at his wife's change in tone, Otto took the letter from the envelope and began to read. When he had finished he set the letter down and asked, "Where is he?"

"In his room."

Otto sighed and rose from the table. Walking to Eric's door, he knocked softly and entered. Eric was sitting on top of his bed reading a battered copy of Mein Kampf that Helmut had given him. At Otto's entrance he set the book down and stood. Otto looked down at him and asked, "How's school going, Eric?"

"Fine, sir."

"Fine?", asked Otto. "Then why did I receive a letter telling me that you're failing some of your studies?"

Eric crossed his arms over his chest and said, "It's not a big deal."

"Is that right?"

Eric nodded, "I don't need to worry about any of that stuff. Soon I'll be old enough to fight for the Fatherland like you and Helmut."

Otto shook his head and responded, "I pray every day that this war will be over before that time comes, Eric. We're not playing a game out there, you know. People are dying."

"It is the duty of every German to fight the enemies of the Fatherland. Sacrifices are necessary for final victory.", replied Eric.

"Is that what they teach you at those damn meetings? That you should become good little soldiers and go out and die gloriously for your country? Well let me tell you something, Eric. There's nothing glorious about war. It's violent and terrifying, and their are no glorious deaths. When death comes on the battlefield it's always dirty and painful. People don't die thinking about the Fatherland. They die screaming, Eric. The only glory goes to the Fuhrer and his generals. They buy it with the blood of men like me. They're drenching the whole of Europe in blood and sometimes I fear that they won't stop until we're all gone."

Eric looked up at him and remained silent. Otto sighed and said, "I don't want you to have to go through it, Eric. I want better for you. I want you to go to college and become an important man. Get a nice job in an office somewhere."

Eric's face twisted in anger and he shouted, "I'll do what I want with my life! I'm going to join the SS like Helmut. If he was here he'd support me, and he'd stop you from talking about the Fuhrer like that! You're a soldier, you swore a loyalty oath. Now you sound like a traitor!"

Suddenly enraged, Otto seized Eric by his shirt and said in a low voice, "How dare you speak to me like that? I've spent my whole life serving my country. While you and your little friends play games and..." Otto broke off, noting the look of fear in Eric's eyes. Otto released him and took several steps back, unsure of what had come over him. Gathering himself, he looked down at Eric and said, "I'm sorry. I...I have no excuse for losing my temper."

Eric did not reply, and stood looking back at Otto cautiously. Not sure what to say, Otto turned and left Eric alone in his room.

Last edited:
Now this speech opens some interesting possibilities for future.. ahem.. "political changes"... :D

Mmmmh... let's hope that no one would feel tempted to have some chatting with the Gestapo about unpatriotic comments...

Herr Steiner: That's certainly a possiblity I believe. Eric has always been a loyal follower of Nationalsozialismus. He'd follow Hitler to hell and back kissin' his arse the whole way. Lol.

Hardraade: Great update. Eagerly awaiting the next update.

Trekaddict: Well what would be the fun in that? I rather enjoy seeing life under the Nazi yoke. Sure Nazism is bad but it does make for an interesting story. Besides without der Schutzstaffel where in the story would Helmut and his vindictive beliefs have a place in the story?

Sounds like the Hilter Jugen are doing there work of turning children into unthinking robots. Funny thing I think that if Helmut was there his nephew would be surprosed but what he actually has to say on the subject.

Hardraade said:
Hordox: Thanks for the enthusiasm. The update is a little short, but I'll be making up for it by posting another one pretty soon.

I liked that update anyway! :D
It was about Otto. He hasn't been heard of for a while. Untill now of course ;)
Anyway, I'm worried about Eric. He's got a very nationalistic attitude. But of course he's attended Hitler jugend, hasn't he?
And Eric probably didn't think before saying: "Now you sound like a traitor"
Because if anyone has got experiences from the war it's Otto.
Of course Helmut has had his experiences too but Otto has seen more of the war than him. He's been to the front many times.

trekaddict: Possibly. However, Otto is an old-fashioned career officer and it would be unlikely that he would publicly express such opinions. For now anyway.

HKslan: So much to do, so little time. :)

Kurt Steiner: Otto could indeed find himself in some difficulty if that was to happen.

Kampf_Machen: Eric is very much enamored of Hitler and Nazism right now. If he gets angry enough, he could get Otto in to quite a bit of trouble. Glad you enjoyed the update. The next one is later today.

kiahoga: The Hitler Jugend leaders are very good at their jobs. Eric absolutely idolizes Helmut and he couldn't imagine that Helmut would disagree with him.

Hordox: Eric has spent the last three years in the Nazi system, specifically the Deutsches Jungvolk(he won't be old enough for the Hitler Jugend until next year) and he has been taking their lessons very much to heart. Otto has seen far more than Helmut and Eric might want to think about that before he speaks so carelessly.

March 9, 1940
Paris, France

Helmut Wolf walked out of Standartenfuhrer Seiler's office and stepped outside into a bright spring day in Paris. Max, Kuefer, and two others were waiting for him by the car that had brought them from Deuil that morning. Helmut was about to get into the car when a voice behind him said, "What a surprise it is to see you, Herr Wolf."

Recognizing the voice immediately, Helmut slowly turned around and said, "Skorzeny, a pleasure as always."

Skorzeny favored him with a wide smile and replied, "You're damn right it is. What brings you to Paris today?"

"I had to deliver my report on the partisan attack on my men.", responded Helmut.

Skorzeny nodded his head slowly and said, "Now, just for the fun of it, tell me why you really came to Paris."

Helmut frowned and replied, "I already did."

Skorzeny laughed and shook his head. Stepping closer to Helmut and his little group he said, "The report could have been sent by courier. Instead you bring it yourself and you bring some rather dangerous looking men with you. Oh, and I see that you brought Max too."

"Stuff yourself, Skorzeny.", growled Max who did actually look somewhat unimpressive next to Kuefer who topped him by about five inches.

Skorzeny laughed again and continued, "Anyway, this tells me that you came to Paris for another reason. What is it?"

"With all due respect, my business is my own.", replied Helmut.

Skorzeny smiled and responded, "That may have been true a short time ago, but just yesterday I received your transfer orders from Berlin."

"What transfer?", asked Helmut.

Skorzeny replied, "To my command of course."

Helmut reached out and took a set of papers that Skorzeny had produced and read them carefully. When he had finished, he tucked them into his pocket and said, "I thought your unit was volunteer only."

Skorzeny shrugged, "It is. Except for you and Max."

Helmut gave an exasperated sigh and said, "I suppose that I am honored then."

"To be hand selected by me? You damn well should be.", replied Skorzeny with a smile. "Now, my first official order is for you to tell me what you have come to Paris for."

Helmut turned and looked over his shoulder at his men. Kuefer, Achen, and Durr stared back at him impassively. Max shrugged his shoulders and held is his hands out at his sides. Turning back to Skorzeny he said, "We have information on a Free French cell based here in Paris. It is our intention to liquidate it."

Skorzeny raised an eyebrow and asked, "Wouldn't this be a matter for the Gestapo?"

Helmut nodded, "Yes, normally. However, this matter is somewhat...personal. As such, we would prefer to handle it ourselves."

"With only five men?", asked Skorzeny.

"A large force would attract too much attention. Besides, we're Das Reich. That makes us each one of us worth three Heer men or ten Gestapo men easily.", replied Helmut with a smile.

As Helmut's companions nodded fiercely in agreement with Helmut's calculations, Skorzeny laughed and said, "I'll take your word on that, Wolf. However, I'm afraid that I can't allow you to go off after these Free French with only four men behind you."

"What?", asked Helmut angrily.

"Five men is not enough. I would only feel comfortable authorizing this operation if you were to have six men at a minimum.", replied Skorzeny.

Helmut nodded and extended his hand. Skorzeny gripped it firmly and said, "Now, tell me what you had planned."

Joffee said:
Nice update : )

Skorzeny Finally got his hands on Helmut i see. .

I see, in the future, car chases with helmut hanging out the window gunning down free french. . or something like it ;)

Are we talking about the same classical black-white war movie here? :D