• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hardraade said:
trekaddict: Was there ever any doubt? ;)

onsience, no. common sense yes, at least sometimes.

Hardraade said:
HKslan: So you saw through to what was behind Helmut's little Q & A bit, huh? :) You know, it really was unfair for him to put all that on Nagel.
Yeah. I have a feeling Helmut's going to end up disappearing on the poor girl that next week, escaping her with Skorzeny's offer. :( This may be a little misguided though, it's not like every French person living under occupation was a blue beret waiting to strike. To my understanding a lot of them regarded Vichy as the legitimate French government and the Germans as their new allies and the British as having abandoned them. Mers-el-Kébir should it fire if it hasn't already should do nothing to hamper this perception.

But misguided or no, it's still a difficult matter of which girls' feelings to spare all the same. :eek:o

Considering that the British didn't actually abandon the french ( you could even say that it was probably the other way around ;) ) you are probably right. However they are occup...garrison forces in a country they recently waged war against, so staying alert isnt wrong methinks.

In the alternate reality of Hardraade's HoI2 file though, I don't think there was any BEF to speak of. :eek: But of course you're right, it's only been a few months I think since Petain decided to throw in the towel for them.

The German version of "Stalingrad" is pretty good....showing the horrors of the "Rattenkriegen".......Then there is the movie about the Finns fighting the Runnians in 1939 or 1940 called "Winter War", done by the same German film company and the same director (I think).

Also "Das Boot", "Memphis Bell" (my dad flew on B-17's so I always liked that one), "Where Eagles Dare" with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood (nice uniforms and equipment, and interesting story line), "The Longest Day" (lots of big actors in that one), "Battle of the Bulge" (Robert Shaw is excellent as the German Panzer commander, SS I think), but my favorite is the "Cross of Iron" with James Coburn as Sgt Steiner, James Mason, Maximillian Schell, and David Warners excellent performance as Hauptman Kiesel....all excellent films.....

KLorberau

Hardraade said:
KLorberau & Kurt Steiner: OK, I'll add that one to the list of recommended films then. Lets see what we have so far:
1. The English Patient
2. Battle of Britain
3. Cross of Iron
4. The Eagle Has Landed

Missing any?

A Bridge Too Far comes to my mind...

Dirk Bogarde, James Caan, Michael Caine -where do I have seen this guy before...-, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Elliott Gould, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Jeremy Kemp, Hardy Krüger, Ryan O'Neal, Laurence Olivier, Robert Redford, Maximilian Schell...

And for those to like to play, there is a young Ben Cross playing a private somewhere in the film -I think on the Allied side.

An excellent reconstruction of Market Garden. A pity they couldn't use real Tigers, but...

trekaddict(1): Only sometimes? :)

HKslan(1): Helmut isn't necessarily concerned about her being Free French as much as he is worried about his growing attachment to her. Helmut might certainly feel that going with Skorzeny would be the easiest way out of his predicament. If he left Deuil, never to return, he would simultaneously be doing the right thing by Sophie and not having to directly reject Corinne.

trekaddict(2): Too true. It would be foolish to assume that there is no resentment on the part of a recently defeated populace, especially when you are actively occupying parts of their country.

SgtPepper20: Yeah, why take the blame all onto yourself when you can point the finger at others?

HKslan(2): You are absolutely correct. In this version of WW2, the British made no attempt to come to their allies' aid other than to run some bombing missions against me. The way I see it, the French people very much do feel as if their British "friends" abandoned them and resentment is high. However, though relations are good, Vichy is not an ally of the Reich. Despite the good relations however, the French people are not exactly happy about their capital(and other areas) being occupied by a foreign enemy or about their humiliating defeat at the hands of that same enemy. While anger towards the British is high, it is reasonable to assume that at least some portion of the population is angry enough at the Germans to want to do something about it.

KLorberau: All great films, especially Stalingrad.

Kurt Steiner: I think I've only ever seen the end of that one.

Next update will come tomorrow.

March 2, 1940
Deuil, France

Helmut Wolf was sitting with his feet up on his desk, reading a newspaper and enjoying a cup of coffee. He had planned for a day of ease and relaxation and had even gone so far as to remove his jacket and boots. So it was with a little annoyance that he noticed Nagel stepping into the office and closing the door behind him. Putting the paper down, Helmut fixed a stare on Nagel and asked, "What is it?"

Nagel, somewhat taken aback by the sight of Helmut out of proper uniform, responded slowly, "Sir, Standartenfuhrer Seiler is outside. He says that he needs to speak to you right away."

With an oath, Helmut jumped to his feet and began to pull his boots on. As he turned to grab his jacket he muttered, "What the hell is he doing here unannounced?"

"I don't know, sir. Shall I ask?"

Spinning back toward Nagel, Helmut began to button up the jacket and responded, "I wasn't talking to you, Nagel! Just get out there and stall for a minute. Ask him he wants anything."

Nagel clicked his heels together and exited the office. He was apparently very good at stall tactics as it was several minutes before Standartenfuhrer Seiler entered the office, by which time Helmut was properly dressed and fully composed. Helmut brought the heels of his boots together and snapped his right arm out in salute as the commanding officer of the 2nd SS Shutzen Regiment came to a stop in front of him. After the obligatory greeting of "Heil Hitler" was exchanged, the two men sat and Helmut asked, "What brings you to Deuil, sir?"

Seiler smiled across the desk at Helmut and responded, "A matter of some import, actually. Can I assume that you are aware of the nasty business up around Argentan?"

Helmut thought about it for a moment and slowly began to nod his head. To the Standartenfuhrer he said, "To my understanding, there has been some partisan activity up there. Damaging railroads, attacking supply dumps and such. Nuisance type stuff."

Seiler nodded, "You are mostly correct. However, the activity there has recently grown to include ambushing patrols as well. In addition, pamphlets and graffiti have begun to appear in support of the so called 'Free French' government in London."

Helmut frowned, "I see. It's obvious that some sort of organized resistance cell is at work in that area. Quick action is necessary before it grows too large."

Seiler nodded again, "Our friends in the RHSA are of the same opinion. In fact, they recently undertook an operation to capture the heads of this resistance group."

"Was it successful?", Helmut asked.

"It was, very much so. A dozen resistance members were captured, among them the ringleaders of the group.", came the response.

Helmut took in the information and asked in confusion, "Good news, but then what does any of this have to do with me?"

Seiler responded, "It goes without saying that these are very important prisoners, Wolf. Inside their heads are the secrets of the whole Free French movement. Future plans, the location of other cells, names of other members, as well as the identities of any foreign agents they are in contact with are just some of the things they can tell us. That being said, the prisoners are being moved under guard to Paris for interrogation. They will set out from Argentan on the fifth and arrive in Deuil on the sixth. After a brief stay, they will move on to Paris under the cover of night. You will need to make sure that all the proper security precautions are in place. It is reasonable to assume that their associates will attempt to free them if they are able. Great care has been taken to keep the route secret, but I find it best to over cautious about such matters. I trust that you can handle this?"

Helmut nodded, "I can, sir. You can leave everything to me."

Seiler smiled, "Good to hear. Now Wolf, there is a related matter that I wanted to run by you."

"What is it, sir?"

"As I said, these prisoners could be the key to uncovering resistance cells all over the occupied region. I would very much like to find out if any such cells are active in this region, and I would like to find out sooner than I would if I had to wait for the official report from the RHSA."

Helmut frowned and regarded the Standartenfuhrer closely. After a moment, and with a strong suspicion that he already knew the answer, he asked, "That would be optimal sir, but how do you plan to accomplish this?"

"Wolf, I have studied your file very closely. You are a very interesting study, do you know that?"

Helmut shifted in his seat uncomfortably but offered no response as Seiler continued, "It seems to me that a man of your talents should be able to coax some information from the prisoners before they move on. This I would like you to do. Find out from them whatever you can about their operations in this area, if any. Feel free to use any means at your disposal short of actually killing anyone."

The last part of the sentence was delivered as if a joke, but Helmut did not laugh. Instead, he stared grimly at Seiler and offered no comment. Only a slight nod of the head showed his acceptance of the order. Satisfied, Seiler got to his feet and after exchanging salutes with Helmut left the office. Helmut went to the window and watched as he climbed into a staff car and drove off. Feeling a sense of disquiet that he could not explain, Helmut slowly walked to the door and opened it to find Nagel behind his desk as was usual. Seeing Helmut in the doorway, Nagel got to his feet and asked, "How did the meeting go, sir?"

Fighting to keep his face and tone neutral, Helmut turned to him and responded, "Fine. Get all of the company officers here and do it fast."

Without waiting for Nagel to respond, Helmut turned and firmly shut the door behind him. Going back to his desk, he sat down to wait for the arrival of his officers. Looking upward, past the ceiling, he muttered, "You just keep piling it on, don't you?"

Last edited:
Yep, it seems that the big man has a nasty sense of humour. It also seems that Hlemut can never escape from his dark(er) past.

trekaddict said:
Yep, it seems that the big man has a nasty sense of humour. It also seems that Hlemut can never escape from his dark(er) past.

As much as he'd like to move on, it will of course always be there won't it?

HKslan said:
Paris, isn't Skorzeny there at the moment? How convenient. :D Hopefully he doesn't uncover anything unsettling about Deuil. Maybe Corinne isn't Free French but what about her family, friends? :(

Blimey! Why didn't I think of that! I mean picture this: He does what he is asked to, but his changes in personality over the last years make him hate what he does, he runs into Skorzeny and is aksed again and accepts right on the spot.

Uncovering unpleasant things: It is pre-programmed that he learns something nasty there, the countless warmovies I've seen have taught me that much. :)

He is truely a man tormented by his past.....Im with the theory he joins up with Skorzeny ASAP....just to get out of this mess he wants no part of....

Oh, I thought of another great movie...."The Young Lions" with Marlon Brando, Max Schell, and Dean Martin of all people....Brando is a young Lt in the Wehrmacht, in Afrika Korp, ends up at end of the war near a concentration camp and is completely disgusted by what he finds....has a sad ending.........for Brando........Great movie...

Also, if you like to see the madness and chaos of the end of the war in the Fuhrer Bunker, the 1975ish movie "The Last Ten Days" with Sir Alex Guinnes as Adolf, or last years movie in German w/subtitles called "Downfall." Both chilling in their portraits of the characters in the Bunker at the end of the war....especially last year's movie....

Looking forward to the next update.......

KLorberau