• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lets hope he behaves different from the last time had had the responsibility for an occupied area. :D

Commander-DK: The many obstacles that a successful invasion of Britain would face are causing me to lean more towards putting it off for now. Right now, I'm viewing a move into the Balkans as my best choice for the immediate future. I do not intend to undertake any major campaigns until the spring anyway. The only reason I'm considering an immediate move into Yugoslavia is to gain access to ports in the Med from which to launch other possible future operations.

trekaddict: I'm sure that the people of Deuil would certainly appreciate some restraint on his part. ;)

HKslan said:
Haha, King Helmut. :D Deiul, though? Fictional? What province is it supposed to be in?
Deuil is real village north of Paris. Today the name of the village is Deuil-la-Barre, but it was simply called Deuil at the time of the Second World War.

Sounds so peaceful in the quaint little French village.....Unfortunately I fear it will not remain that way for long. Even tho the terms of the occupation seem very generous to me.

I just hope Helmut doesnt eat that rotten undercooked French food....bring his own German sausages, kraut, potatoes, brotchen, and damm fine German beer.........

KLorberau

KLorberau said:
Sounds so peaceful in the quaint little French village.....Unfortunately I fear it will not remain that way for long. Even tho the terms of the occupation seem very generous to me.

I just hope Helmut doesnt eat that rotten undercooked French food....bring his own German sausages, kraut, potatoes, brotchen, and damm fine German beer.........

KLorberau

If he's like 90% of the modern day germans he stays away from kraut. :D

Putting the SS on garrison duty in a French village is like setting a prize winning pitbull to guard a trash heap... :p

Let's hope that Helmut can move on to more exciting things soon.

:) Jesper

KLorberau: Don't worry, I'm sure that he will be able to get his hands on all the comforts of home. Being as the occupied portions of France were only being occupied on a temporary basis, and still under the administration of a ruling French government, conditions would have been easier than in Poland for instance. Perhaps I have painted the occupation as too lenient, though. Maybe Helmut is just genuinely a nice guy. :D

trekaddict: I'm not a big fan either. I only tried it once and that was enough for a lifetime. I had reasoned to myself that, being half German, I would somehow be favorably disposed to it and loaded some bratwurst with the stuff. Oh God, the horror. Luckily, there was plenty of beer on hand to wash the taste out. :)

Commander-DK: A valid point. :D Until I can properly secure the French coastline, I am keeping my panzer forces in position to respond to any invasion. Right now, the Das Reich division is stationed in and around Paris. Rest assured that they will go on to bigger and better things in the future.

When you want to do it wiht stile and have time and IC: lvl 10 forts in each beach province and a garrison division with arty attachement. If not: 4 Inf division in a corps, and spread about 4 such corps throughout the coastal areas, preferably placed in provinces where you want to station air units for the battle of britain. BTW, does anyone love that movie as much as I do?

trekaddict said:
When you want to do it wiht stile and have time and IC: lvl 10 forts in each beach province and a garrison division with arty attachement. If not: 4 Inf division in a corps, and spread about 4 such corps throughout the coastal areas, preferably placed in provinces where you want to station air units for the battle of britain. BTW, does anyone love that movie as much as I do?
Haven't seen it. I take it that it comes highly recommended? :)

Update tomorrow.

Hardraade said:
Haven't seen it. I take it that it comes highly recommended? :)

HOLYSMOKES; BY ALL MEANS! It is my favourite movie. I have seen it multiple times.

Hardraade said:
Update tomorrow.

huzza!

Hannibal Barca2, trekaddict, & HKslan: Thanks for the enthusiasm guys. Your continued support, as well as that of the other commenters, is what keeps this AAR going. There have been times where I haven't been able to find time, times where I've gotten very frustrated with the storylines of certain characters, and times when I have been just plain frustrated with the entire story. During these times I have sometimes felt a strong to desire to just say the hell with the whole thing. The support that you folks have shown, though, pulls me out of these mini funks and makes me want to keep going. I guess when you come down to it, I just truly want to thank all of you for reading.

trekaddict: Favorite movie? I'll count that as a high recommendation indeed! My favorite movie is Jaws. No doubt you currently have the same puzzled look on your face as everyone who I've told that to. I don't know why it's my favorite, it just is. I have also literally never met another person who also counts Jaws as their favorite movie, so maybe I'm alone in this. I do know that my wife has often spoke of my love for that movie in what sounds suspiciously like a pitying tone, however. I say now, though, that I am not ashamed! That movie has everything. Action, humor, and a huge shark(I love sharks). And when Robert Shaw is recounting the sinking of the USS Indianapolis, that people is DRAMA.

I understand you. while I am no fan of movies like Jaws I know how it is to love movies everyone else hates.

trekaddict said:
I understand you. while I am no fan of movies like Jaws I know how it is to love movies everyone else hates.
Yes, it is a terrible cross to bear, but we must manage. :D
Update will post shortly.
Hmm.. all this talk of Jaws is leaving me powerless to do anything but pull out the DVD and watch it right away. Ever feel that way?

Hardraade said:
Yes, it is a terrible cross to bear, but we must manage. :D
Update will post shortly.
Hmm.. all this talk of Jaws is leaving me powerless to do anything but pull out the DVD and watch it right away. Ever feel that way?

Yes. many times. In fact, my eyes are searching for my Battle of Britain DVD at this very moment.

Jan. 16, 1940
Deuil, France

Helmut had just began reading a report sent over to him from the Quartermaster's Office when he heard a knock on his office door. As he looked up, his aide opened the door and stepped into the room. Coming to attention he said, "Sir, Scharfuhrer Baer is requesting to see you."

Helmut leaned back and thought with a confused frown, Scharfuhrer Baer? A moment later though, he realized that it was Max who was asking to see him. Helmut had gotten so used to calling him by his first name that he hadn't immediately recalled his friend's last name. Helmut, however, did not immediately grant permission for Max to enter. Something was up. Normally, Max would have just barged in without asking permission. This time he had asked for permission and had even given his full name and rank as was proper. He probably wants something, thought Helmut. Just as his aide began to shift his weight uneasily, Helmut waved his hand and said, "Alright Nagel, send him in."

Max entered the room and snapped to attention, extending his arm in salute as he did so. Helmut smiled as he thought to himself, He even clicked his heels together. Yes, he definitely wants something. Helmut stared at Max, who was maintaining his position of attention, for a long while before inviting him to sit. Once his guest was seated, Helmut got right to the point and asked, "What is it that you want from me, Max?"

Max looked offended as he responded, "Want from you? What makes you say that? Maybe I just wanted to come by and say hello."

Helmut laughed, "Oh, please. The sudden show of military decorum you just put on tells me only one thing. You want something."

"Perhaps my decorum was in response to your bad attitude yesterday. You know, when we were talking before the Mayor came by.", replied Max.

Helmut leaned back in his chair without offering a response and smiled. After a minute of silence, Max spoke up as if just making conversation, "So... I hear that you and your senior officers were invited to a dinner party at the Mayor's place tonight."

Helmut clapped his hands together in triumph and exclaimed, "I knew it!"

"Knew what?", Max shot back defensively.

"This is all about you wanting to come to the dinner."

"I don't know what you're talking about. Speaking of me coming to the dinner though, can I?"

Helmut rubbed at his chin and shook his head slowly, "I don't know. He did say senior staff, after all."

"I'm sure that he would be greatly interested to meet your most important NCO as well."

Helmut bounded from his chair over to the window as if in great excitement and asked, "Kuefer is back from Paris already?"

Max gripped his sides and said dryly, "Stop it. Your unmatched wit is killing me." When Helmut only laughed in reply, Max rose and made to leave the office. When he had reached the door, he turned back to Helmut and said, "Fine, it's just as well. My arm has been bothering me greatly today anyway. Yeah, I was shot in it saving my commanding officer's life this one time in Belgium. Bothers me every once in awhile. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever be completely right again."

Helmut rolled his eyes and responded, "Oh, for God's sake, you can come along."

Max smiled, "Great. By the way, we can probably expect the Mayor's daughter to be there, right?"

Helmut shrugged, "I suppose, why?"

"Some of the boys say that she's quite...interesting."

Helmut frowned, "Interesting how?"

By way of reply, Max used his hands to sketch the shape of an hourglass in the air. Helmut laughed and said, "Figures. You will, of course, be on your best behavior."

"I'm hurt that you would even say that.", responded Max as he opened the door to leave. Before he could get out of the door, Helmut loudly cleared his throat and asked, "Forgetting something Scharfuhrer Baer?"

Max spun on his heel, came to attention and asked, "Permission to take my leave, sir?"

Helmut smiled broadly, "Dismissed."

Hardraade said:
I guess when you come down to it, I just truly want to thank all of you for reading.
When you come down to it, I guess I just truly want to thank you for updating :D I'm glad for the moment everyone is getting more or less a break, and as much of a cakewalk I'm sure Yugoslavia and Greece'll be and as good as cutting through them like a hot knife through butter looks on paper, it won't be pretty.

BTW I've been wondering, was the army always Otto's career or did he have something he did before tensions started running high in Europe?

I laughed several times while reading this. When they started talking about the dinner I was suspecting female entangelements from the first line onwards. As for things beeing ugly: Wait for the Russian camoaign my friend.

There will be a point when the SU dows you if you dont dow them first. They always do.