• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What do you think about DAIM?

• Excellent, one of my favourite mods!

Votes: 143 23,2%
  • Good, I often play with DAIM

Votes: 150 24,4%
  • Tried it out, but don't like it

Votes: 31 5,0%
  • Never used it, and don't intend to

Votes: 26 4,2%
  • Daim? Dein? Dain? What?

Votes: 109 17,7%
  • Saippuakauppias (None of the options above apply to me, but I wanted to participate)

Votes: 157 25,5%

• Total voters
On the HOI2 wiki they have some troop numbers for china and japan. Japan would have trounced the chinese. One thing they don't model in the game is how disorganized even nat chi was- it was made of feuding warlords just like the whole of china was. Japan simply stopped its advance.

Take for example, manchuria. The japanese, outnumbered 3:1, took the entire place over in 5 months. China was bigger, but the well prepared japanese army could destroy the disorganized rabble there. Global opinion was that china would lose the war. Why not have DAIM prove them right? I would like to see DAIM improve NAT CHI AI, so there's a fighting chance, but china would under most circumstances lose.

I like it so far. The british are putting up a tough defense in ethiopia, the suez better guarded (but not well enough to stop my Level 3 armor tanks with H-arm attachments) though gibraltar was pathetically under-defended when natspain attacked them, though that was Day 1 of the war. But I like that to a certain degree: The british had alot of assets and only so much to defend them with. Had mussolini thrown all he had at north africa instead of greece he could have had the suez.

In the future, could you make it so if Nationalist Spain joins the axis the AI starts massing in gibraltar? Make it take the entire spanish army to pull them out of there. But don't make them mass such absurd amounts like 94 divisions... did they have those sorts of assets after the fall of france? I would think the british could defend the homeland and the commonwealths but none of the colonies with that much in gibraltar.

The Japanese couldn't advance too far into China because of more diplomatic reasons than military. USA and Japan were at odds during their entire Chinese campaign and ultimately USA initiated the oil embargo. I'm sure that if Japan knew that the embargo was coming anyway, they would have pressed a lot harder in China.

First, the general answer: DAIM is pretty cool. I like increased challenge that a superior AI offers.

In Specifics:

Germany & Soviet Union are pretty much balanced. I have seen countless games where the Germans get stopped right after taking Moscow (but before they roll through the Soviets IC Rich hinterlands), because the UK launches a desperate landfall in Europe. The Germans really don't like that very much.

People have been ragging on the Japanese AI, but here's a big point in your Favor: Germany can ACTUALLY ALLY JAPAN! I don't even remember seeing that in vanilla. Japan gets pretty serious afterward, but I'm not sure they get that much use out of Puppet China.

What I'd love to see now is a DAIM Italy, France, Hungary, Romania and China. If the Axis Medium Powers got a thinking boost, the soft underbelly of Europe would not be so soft after all...

Blue Max said:
First, the general answer: DAIM is pretty cool. I like increased challenge that a superior AI offers.

In Specifics:

Germany & Soviet Union are pretty much balanced. I have seen countless games where the Germans get stopped right after taking Moscow (but before they roll through the Soviets IC Rich hinterlands), because the UK launches a desperate landfall in Europe. The Germans really don't like that very much.

People have been ragging on the Japanese AI, but here's a big point in your Favor: Germany can ACTUALLY ALLY JAPAN! I don't even remember seeing that in vanilla. Japan gets pretty serious afterward, but I'm not sure they get that much use out of Puppet China.

What I'd love to see now is a DAIM Italy, France, Hungary, Romania and China. If the Axis Medium Powers got a thinking boost, the soft underbelly of Europe would not be so soft after all...

Nice and detailed feedback , thank you.
For me , the British Landings are the most interresting part ( in test games that hasn't happen often )
DAIM has already AI's for Italy and China .
For France there are no plans for a DAIM AI ( Developer reasons ;) ). For Romania and Hungary , there maybe AIs in the next release ( no promise ) ;)

Spocky

Very nice mod! However I was disappointed of the british AI when I succeded in landing with para-troops in Whales without even one fired shot - the rest of the island was very easy to take then. Couldn't the british AI spend two divisions to prevent such an easy landing in Whales?

First DAIM .. and first question!

Playing Germany 36 - only Aug 39 but I've noticed a few differences already which have surpised me. At Anschluss Austria had built a different unit mix than my previous six or so games (eg 3 MTN) - I had assumed it was only the selected major powers which had been changed?

Also - I'm using autopromote as in previous games and I've got 8 Field Marshals already!! Is someone bribing the promotions panel?? I only have c.150 land divisions.

Rocket88 said:
Playing Germany 36 - only Aug 39 but I've noticed a few differences already which have surpised me. At Anschluss Austria had built a different unit mix than my previous six or so games (eg 3 MTN) - I had assumed it was only the selected major powers which had been changed?

Some direkt support AI's like Austria or Mashuko are also modified

Rocket88 said:
Also - I'm using autopromote as in previous games and I've got 8 Field Marshals already!! Is someone bribing the promotions panel?? I only have c.150 land divisions.

Thats also a DAIM modificaton. But don't forget, the AI has also better promotion changes

Spocky

Last edited:
We need you to teach your modding skills to the 1914 team :p

And if we are really lucky, do an outline of the AI's for all major nations, we'll take care of the rest.. :D

Hmm, I see. At best I'll get a :rolleyes: . At worst, oh, to fathom... If noone is playing this (even though I hope they are, sincerely) would you like to come to the 1914 forum?? :)

Wenceslaus II said:
We need you to teach your modding skills to the 1914 team :p

And if we are really lucky, do an outline of the AI's for all major nations, we'll take care of the rest.. :D

Hmm, I see. At best I'll get a :rolleyes: . At worst, oh, to fathom... If noone is playing this (even though I hope they are, sincerely) would you like to come to the 1914 forum?? :)

What do you mean by "if noone is playing this..."?

Wenceslaus II said:

I'm occupied with RL ;) at the Moment but modding the AI for 1914 is a thing I can imagine AFTER bringing out a new DAIM ;)

It seems to me that I get more a-historical development when playing DAIM. In my first game south africia left thier alliance, later Nationalist China decleared war on South Africa. In my next game France decleared war on Germany in 38. Also most South American nations seem to decleare war on Germany during the war.

Is this a side effect of taking furious agressiveness or something to do with DAIM? I was only using the DAIM mod.

There is a vanilla event where South Africa can choose to leave the Alliance, I guess that's what happened in your case. France declaring war on Germany early could have been caused by ahistorical event choices as well. Also note that neither France nor South American minors are changed by DAIM.

Johan stated that the aggressivity setting doesn't have an impact at all.

DAIM AIs get really stressed out when they have to fight on multiple fronts.

A couple of examples:

While playing Belgium (Which I had built up a respectable 20 IC in the Congo to make the game interesting.), I found that my tiny fleet (one destroyer and three transports) and my smallish army of 1 HQ and 12 divisions was somehow able to liberate Italy, without much more than a two german divisions responding. I gave up that game, as it was obvious that even the Allies were going to ignore my efforts in Italy. Little Belgium's sacrifices were in vain!

Playing as Italy, I've made it my objective to dominate the Middle East and seize the Baku Oil Fields on behalf of Germany. However, my forces have been able to stroll right into Baku with only minor resistance. Now, my 40+ Divisons are rolling over about 10 obsolete Soviet Divisions, and due to the Soviets positioning (which is heavy focused against Germany, with some odd wars raging against Sweden over the Soviet Conquest of Finland), I can't see them stopping my offensive before I get to Stalingrad.

Will there be a DAIM: Second Front AI Upgrade? Or is this too much for an AI to handle?

I'm not happy either with how the AI handles multiple fronts, often enough it's nothing but a big mess. Writing AIs for special cases like yours - Belgium landing in Italy - is of course possible, but I don't think we'd gain much by it. It is difficult to tell the AI to use the right amount of forces in order to crush a landing fast enough without sacrificing other fronts, especially the eastern one in Germany's case. Usually, once you manage to gain and hold a foothold in Europe, the AI will be screwed soon enough one way or the other. That's a little sad, but I haven't found a way to do much against it.

I'm playing a game with DAIM as Japan. While the Japanese business goes well - the Japanese Empire stretches from Pakistan to New Zealand - I cannot help but notice that the Germans are getting nowhere in the Soviet Union. Barbarossa started as normal - but it's now past November 1941 and the Germans aren't even near Kiev yet.

Did the Soviet AI change so much that they actually put up a decent fight in 1941?

Nevertheless, DAIM remains a great mod. Keep up the good work!

You'd have to put me in the Saippuakauppias category in the above poll, which in my case means "Interested, but wanna know more". ;)

DAIM would be exactly what I'm looking for, but before I start a new game: Is a new version planned any time soon?

And I read it's supposed to be more "unhistorical" than vanilla. Apart from the China thing, what are the big "unhistorical" things going on? I also read that the UK will put up one hell of a fight in the Battle of Britain and that the Soviets will built many more infantry units, both of which I'd call more and not less historical than vanilla.

Lastly, do I have to do anything manually if I want to combine DAIM with smep or can I just install both of them and start playing?

Disclaimer said:
Is a new version planned any time soon?
No, not right now.

Disclaimer said:
Apart from the China thing, what are the big "unhistorical" things going on?
Japan winning against China (because China is too weak in the game) is the only thing I can think of.

Disclaimer said:
Lastly, do I have to do anything manually if I want to combine DAIM with smep or can I just install both of them and start playing?
I can't give a guarantee, but if you install SMEP first and then DAIM without the "customized events" (it's an option during the installation), it should work.