• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey!

Great AAR, very well done. Nice picture:text ratio you have, very easy-reading style.

Question: Have you released the 1589 scenario that you have created for this AAR? I would very much like to play it myself, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Hey, steady on, I'm still waiting for a 1714 scenario.

What is this blasphemous comunard talk? I haven't even reached 1714?

So the general consensus is to continue with historical monarchs?

Milites said:
What is this blasphemous comunard talk? I haven't even reached 1714?

So the general consensus is to continue with historical monarchs?

Not general there is on dissenter still left! :p
Having elaborated on your problem I might yet have a solution. The problem as I understand it is that once you change the settings to random monarchs every country starts with "no ruler" as monarch and gets a new one immediately.
My plan would be: Write down all the important monarchs in the game and their stats and rewrite them into the save game. The save game has a database of all monarchs present and past so that with a little effort you should be able to turn your "new" monarchs into the "old" monarchs by changing their names and stats back to what they should be.

If you release the save file I myself could try out this theory since I am off sick from work at the moment and therefore have the necessary time. :)

~Lord Valentine~

I'd say go with the historical scenario. You had a great run with Henry (especially since you buffed his general stats), let's see what you can do with the others.

Either that, or end the game when Henry dies. After all, you've reached your goal (Hugenot prosperity.)

Switching to random kings just because Henry's about to go down...well, I wouldn't.

Random is best, or we'll just have to go with alt. versions of historical monarchs, and all the dates will be the same. :eek:o

Thanks for all the sugestions!

My plan would be: Write down all the important monarchs in the game and their stats and rewrite them into the save game. The save game has a database of all monarchs present and past so that with a little effort you should be able to turn your "new" monarchs into the "old" monarchs by changing their names and stats back to what they should be.

I seem unable to find said database :(

Last edited:
Milites said:
I seem unable to find said database :(

Really? Have you tried a to search the whole save file for your monarch Henri IV? The other French monarchs should be listed there. At least that was the way it was with one of my save games I had a look at. Perhaps you could send me the save via E-mail or something in that direction. Then I cold directly examine your case if you want to. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Np, I found a "solution".

Chapter XVIII –The Lion’s Fall

henriiv.jpg

King Henri IV in 1610

A Civil War Brought to an End

The Republic of England did not last long. From the smoking ruins of the Tower to the northernmost part of rugged Wales, the armies of absolutism marched grimly towards the rebel strongholds in Cornwall and Glamorgan. And if the surviving members of Parliament had hoped for clemency, they were wrong. In two great battles King James’ captains completely obliterated the “Army of the Free English” and proceeded to occupy all of the tiny nation’s towns and castles. Proudly the English monarch could announce to his ally Henri that “the medicine had worked fabulous wonders on the body of both sovereign and state.” Or in other words, the bond between king and parliament had been cut over by cold steel and the latter of the two had perished.
As the southern flank had been secured when King James defeated the rebellious dissenters the allies now turned their full attention towards Scotland. Here the noble opposition had entrenched within the western lowlands of Ayrshire and was awaiting the onslaught of the combined might of English and French absolutism.

scotland.jpg

The Scottish campaign, spring 1610

The French Expeditionary Force under Henri numbered some 16,000 infantry, 8,000 horse and 2,000 artillery when it arrived outside Ayr with spirits high. The large host immediately began to conduct its cordon of the rebel town. Trenches were dug, tents raised and the obligatory canon bravado fired. It was here far to the north that Henri IV, the king of all France, saviour of the French Reformation and head of the Gallic church gave the order to advance. As it was in the king’s personality to rouse his men before battle he positioned himself on a barrel of wine, grabbed a banner and shouted to his signeurs, commanders and soldiers:

[source: King Henri IV outside Ayr: Battles of the French Reformation, Oxford Press 1999]

“..Friends and Frenchmen! I say this not to bring you distress or sorrow, but to keep your hearts and minds gallant and valiant as always: This wall, this very wall [the king directed at Ayr’s defences] is what is keeping us from peace and prosperity within true Christendom. It is one wall! One wall meant not to keep us out, but to keep them in! One Wall! Together we have faced much worse, we have overcome much worse! Remember Pirineo! Remember Flanders! Remember the Gallic Church and holy France! [the assembled shouted their applause] This is the day which the lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it [1]! Remember this, my friends and Frenchmen; it is only one single wall! …”

The Wall

As the king now had readied his men and himself for battle he dressed in his own battle armour and mounted his steed. He was accompanied by a great host of cavaliers and mounted scouts carrying the insignias of the French kingdom and the house of Bourbon. While the king rode for the front the artillery began its bombardment and the infantry lined up for advance. The pieces of the French Corps de Artellerie wrought havoc amongst the Scottish defenders, towers crumbled under the hammering of French canons. But as the men on the ramparts hid behind their wall, the high pitched sound of the flutes under the fleur-de-lis was to them like a lightning storm breaking anew and the pounding of the drums was as a thunder had crept down into the rolling lowlands, and when all the horrible music of Huguenot war broke through the fog of gunpowder smoke it sent a quiver down many a Scotsman’s spine. Ladders were produced in the French formations and when the Scots peeled up from their hiding they were met with a forest of pikes and ladders.

siegeayeshire.jpg

The French storm Ayr

The French infantry broke into a run a good 100 metres from the walls and raised their war ladders with a great cry “...One Wall for France! One Wall for Henri!” and began their ascension with empowered strength. They were however met with fierce resistance and the first wave was repulsed with heavy casualties. The next attempt fared little better and for a while it seemed that the Huguenot storm had only been a fresh breeze. Unfortunately for the Scots, the French king now appeared with his household infantry. The king took to the ladders alongside his fellow Frenchmen and within a quarter of an hour the first French banner fluttered from the ramparts, then a second came then a third until a dozen flags proudly waved in the recharged Huguenot storm. Yet the Scots held their ground and even though Henri did his best his men were tired and their courage was dwindling. In a last attempt the king stormed the breached defences around the, almost demolished by French artillery, gatehouse.

Here Scottish soldiers had held strong and denounced attack upon attack. Henri brought his dismounted cavaliers and lifeguard along and they managed to almost break the wall’s defences. When the Scots were about to give, a shot rang out, a terrible loud crack and the French king, the sovereign of Huguenot France and protector of Protestantism collapsed into the arms of his nearest signeurs with a wound to the chest. A cheer went up from the defenders, but had they in turn hoped to find their foes any the less fierce over the loss of their commander, they were wrong. All they met was rage and wrath, a terrible wrath followed by imminent death. The Huguenot companies roared in defiance and broke the Scots’ back like an angry peasant crushing a cockroach. Now the storm reached its peak and the sword arms of the Huguenot troopers ached from overuse. The noble commander of the Gatehouse was cornered threw down his sword and cried in panic: “My ransom is a hundred thousand francs!”[2] To which the approaching captain loathingly answered “You aren’t worth the lead” where after the Scot was shot through the temple and thrown down into the city’s gutter. With the gatehouse taken the city fell and as the Huguenot armies entered Ayr they slew any man carrying arms and often even those carrying none. When the city finally was in Huguenot hands and the storm had calmed down no living Scot was left within Ayr and huge black banners fluttered over the remnants of the battered wall.

END OF PART II

~ To be Continued

[1]Actually a real Huguenot battle cry, also used at Coutras in OT
[2]What Catholic commander actually said this in OT? and where?

Last edited:
Wow, not a single Scot left? That's a massive massacre! Had it coming of course with killing the king.

Last edited:
Henri? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :eek: :(
But he died like a true hero and as great a king as could possibly be. I wonder who his successor will be and how he will fare. I hope your solution will not give us as mediocre a figure as Louis XIII historically was.

A brilliant chapter. Many scenes just sent shivers down my spine. :)

~Lord Valentine~

poor Henry :(

Great AAR, very well done. Nice picture:text ratio you have, very easy-reading style.

Question: Have you released the 1589 scenario that you have created for this AAR? I would very much like to play it myself, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Well, no I haven't released it. It's some very baisc modding I've done to enable the gameplay + I'm still learning how to create events.
But in due time I might release something more playable.

A brilliant chapter. Many scenes just sent shivers down my spine.

Thanks! I really enjoyed writing it.

Wow, not a single Scot left? That's a massive massacre! Had it coming of course with killing the king.

poor Henry :(

ah, I hope the hugenot church will be strong enough without Henris lead...

Evil schotts!

Did I write that Henri was stone dead ;)
Is he kidding? is he kidding /death from Family Guy voice

I'm sorry for the slowness of the recent updates, but I'm really wasted from school and social life. One of these few next days, I'll try to get an update running.