• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well I might squeeze it in somewhere ;)

The English are in for a rough ride and it will affect Henri IV and France tremendously..

France is making excellent progress I see! Looks like it's time to completely brake the Spanish hold over the low countries or perhaps annex the lands of the crown of Aragon. If you are playing with historic monarchs (what a pitty!) you should make the most of Henri IV since the poor sod will kick the bucket in a few years.

~Lord Valentine~

pretty much, or Austria needs to have some tricks up their sleeve.

They have :(
Impressive wins for Henri and his men! Please go on

Far too kind, I'll try!

France is making excellent progress I see! Looks like it's time to completely brake the Spanish hold over the low countries or perhaps annex the lands of the crown of Aragon. If you are playing with historic monarchs (what a pitty!) you should make the most of Henri IV since the poor sod will kick the bucket in a few years.

~Lord Valentine~

I figured it to be the safest bet so I wouldn't risk him dying one year into the game.. Though the results of this choice are yet to be known..

Milites said:
I figured it to be the safest bet so I wouldn't risk him dying one year into the game.. Though the results of this choice are yet to be known..

In that case it might you could switch to from "historic" to "normal" monarchs before Henri's death date. That would make the game more interesting in my eyes since It's course becomes less foreseeable and more dynamic. But the choice is all yours of course. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of that posibility at the time.. :(

Chapter XIV – Revolt and Collapse
1607-1608

The English Civil War

In England, the news of war with Spain was not received well by the members of both parliament and gentry. The nobles had no desire to see their services demanded in the continental conflict that was raging between France and her allies and the Habsburg princes. The parliamentarians on the other hand also despised the fact that their country was fighting alongside a largely (in their opinion) autocratic French monarchy. Bottom line was that when James enthusiastically advocated for the English navy and army to be deployed for service against the Catholics, parliament, as well as many of his nobles, especially in Cornwall and Southern Wales, reacted very strongly. James was forced to write a humiliating letter to his personal friend Henri, wherein he stated that the spirit (himself) was willing but the flesh weak (parliament and the noble opposition) and that he had to make peace with Spain. Henri answered him reassuringly that as soon as the war on the continent had been concluded he would personally “bring my most trusted ally the correct cure for such problems of health.” I.e. a French army to help James institute an English form of absolutism. This was a sound policy to Henri, because it would stabilize the English and Scottish crowns and make them more reliable allies. When it became known to the opposition through informers that James had plans for a French supported coup d'état, the plotters became thoroughly worried. On the 10th of February they gathered in London.

noblesparliament.jpg

The parliamentarians discuss what course of action they should take against James I

The day after, the conspirators had formulated their plan. James had to be dethroned and replaced by a king who would respect the parliament and gentry. This had to be obtained through a show of arms as the assassination attempt of Guy Fawkes in 1605 had made the king precarious of such attempts on his life. The plotters were led by several prominent members of both parliament and nobility and on the 11th of February 1608, the rebels rose in revolt and surrounded the Tower of London. The armies in Cornwall and Southern Wales declared for parliament as well did the majority of the navy and all of the army of Ireland. All of the Irish castles were soon under siege from parliamentarian units and a large force of 10,000 soldiers and Spanish mercenaries marched from Cornwall towards London. At the same time the local nobles of lower Scotland also rebelled, hoping to gain crucial rights from their beleaguered monarch. James withdrew his forces consisting of some 20,000 men north towards Scotland and sent urgent messages for help to his continental allies.

Britishrevolts3.jpg

The movements faces of the English Civil War

Collapse of the Catalonian Front

At the time of the outbreak of hostilities on the British Isles, Henri could note with satisfaction that the Spaniards were in full retreat. The large formations of the Royal Army and the Army of the East had advanced through Catalonia at an extraordinary speed. The death blow to the Spanish control of Catalonia came in May 1608 when Valencia fell to the guns of the Royal army. Madrid was within reach and the Habsburg king panicked and evacuated his palaces for the safety of Portugal. Small Spaniard forces still managed to ambush French siege crews as they travelled from city to city in Catalonia. As a result, casualties were still relatively high for the French invaders who also suffered from attrition.

spanishfront.jpg

Spanish Front 1608

The collapse of Spanish military means in both Flanders and Catalonia meant that peace was within reach. Even though Henri was still chasing Austrian armies in the United Provinces, the Spanish king was forced to cede control of Breda to a French protectorate. The Netherlands were now almost completely in the hands of the Protestant alliance. But would Austria really fold as easily as Spain?

peacebreda.jpg

Breda is drawn into the Protestant fold

Last edited:
A great victory! But as an anglophile and believer in the god given rights of monarchy I beg you to send some forces against the English parliament before you send the Habsburgs to oblivion. Down with the revolutionaries! :D

~Lord Valentine~

I, on the other hand, believe strongly that Henri should teach the Habsbourg what rising against the Protestant alliance means. They should understand at once that they cannot go on protecting catholic lands and expect that France won't do the same thing with Protestant territories.
Who really cares about a few nut cases in the English parliament advocating revolt to a couple of peasants? You can crush them anytime!
Sorry Lord Valentine :)

indeed, impressive work for France so far, now you'll need to defeat Austria... Oh, and deal with the English rebels

Grubnessul said:
indeed, impressive work for France so far, now you'll need to defeat Austria... Oh, and deal with the English rebels
Indeed, though the angels of Avalon shall defeat thy Gallic hordes and rule the world! :D

Good news!

I was at the conscription office today and managed to avoid the dreaded conscription! I think that a happiness update is in order :p
Anyways, does anybody know how to edit the save game into using random monarchs instead of historical ones?

@ Lord Valentine & dem

Henri obviously wants to crush the rebels. He's a benevolent king, but don't you dare go against his divine right to rule ;)

@Grubnessul

I (ehm Henri..) shall his best to quell the Habsburg beast once and for all!

@mandead

Britain won't be a happy place for revolutionaries and communards and parliamentarians as soon as Henri is done with them.

Danish conscription? :eek:

Milites said:
Good news!

I was at the conscription office today and managed to avoid the dreaded conscription! I think that a happiness update is in order :p
Congratulations mate! I myself prayed to avoid being drafted, but to no avail. So now I'm stuck with doing 9 months of social service as a substitute. So what would fate have had in store for you if you had been drafted?

Milites said:
Anyways, does anybody know how to edit the save game into using random monarchs instead of historical ones?

Considering this question it would interest me what version of EU III you are playing. Is it vanilla, Napoleon's Ambition or In Nomine? If I remember correctly with Napoleon's Ambition you could change the gameplay settings (difficulty, discovery times, monarchs and other stuff) each time you selected your save before reloading it.

Also may I add that I am relived to hear that Henri has the right concern for royal authority and divine rights. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Danish conscription?

Yeah it's kinda silly.. I mean we all know that the most effective weapon in the Danish army is the direct telephone line to the White House.

Congratulations mate! I myself prayed to avoid being drafted, but to no avail. So now I'm stuck with doing 9 months of social service as a substitute. So what would fate have had in store for you if you had been drafted?

Either I'd done the same as you and taken the civilian service (although we got lots and lots of nice jobs to chose from ^^) or I had joined the navy. The navy isn't all that bad, you get to go on a 4 week trip to Greenland and the Faeroe Islands on a destroyer (or some strange military vessel).

Considering this question it would interest me what version of EU III you are playing. Is it vanilla, Napoleon's Ambition or In Nomine? If I remember correctly with Napoleon's Ambition you could change the gameplay settings (difficulty, discovery times, monarchs and other stuff) each time you selected your save before reloading it.

Well I'm playing IN, but without the 3,1 update.

Chapter XV – Turmoil in Britannia

The Escalation

When the year 1609 arrived, the situation in England was becoming desperate for King James. Parliament had taken control of all of Wales and Ireland and, even worse, London.
The rebels besieging the Tower had almost starved the royalist defenders into submission before they stormed the castle in the early days of January. The royalists were all killed to the last man and the colours of James I Stuart were thrown into the gutters of London. With London in rebel hands, James moved his headquarters north to Oxford. Here he camped alongside 10,000 of his most loyal troops while another force of 10,000 men and cavalry made their way north to Yorkshire to defend the border from the Scottish rebels.

londonfalls.jpg

The Parliamentarians break into the Tower

James was flabbergasted at the loss of the capital and seriously contemplated on withdrawing to Scotland. To him it seemed like all of the country was against him and only the promise of French aid kept him from abandoning England to the parliamentarians. After the fall of London all of Wales and Cornwall had been captured by the rebels as well. The parliamentarians of Cornwall joined forces with the army of London and together the two armies marched on Oxford where the king still lay in camp awaiting French reinforcements. The Parliamentarian pikes quickly moved in on the Royalist infantry although the king’s artillery caused severe damage amongst them. When the two blocks of infantry locked in a deadly melee, the parliamentarian cavalry fell upon the royalist horsemen and routed them. By then the rebel infantry had knocked a hole in the king’s centre and the royalists withdrew in confusion leaving 2,000 dead and wounded behind.

1609england.jpg

Civil War, 1609

When James reached York he was informed that another rebel force was marching on them. The parliamentarians had sent 7,000 soldiers and dragoons against the royalists. What they thought to be 8,000 demoralized and hungry infantry proved to be 18,000 angry royalist troopers and cavaliers all thirsty for revenge. The battle was a slaughter without comparison as the 7,000 rebels were bombarded by the royal artillery and battered into submission by the fist of the king’s infantry before the cavalry surrounded and killed or captured most of the rebels. With the battle of York, James had regained his self-confidence and proved to his allies that the English could still pack a punch. Although the royalists hoped for it, the Parliamentarians were not very worried at the prospect of a French intervention. They had the support of the English navy, which was superior to the one currently employed by the French, and with France at war with the two largest continental powers it seemed to them that they were beyond Henri’s reach. Sadly for them, they were wrong on all fronts. In April 1609 the French army left port in Normandy, carrying with them the Army of the East, and smashed its way through the Parliamentarian navy. 15,000 French soldiers made landfall in Wessex and threatened London itself! Finally the sun shun on the royalists, but then disaster struck on the continent.

Disaster

Henri had retreated to Paris to enjoy some time with his mistresses and family when the French navy left for England. Until then everything had gone well for the reformed alliance. Soon England would be ruled by an absolute monarchy and parliament would only be an unpleasant memory. In Spain, the French armies had pushed the Spaniard forces aside and were besieging Madrid. Messengers arrived weekly to offer peace to the French king, but all were rejected. Henri intended to profit as much from the war as possible. In an effort to completely rout the Austrians, the king gave permission to the young Guillaume d’Ornano to lead the reinforced Armeé de Flandres across the Rhine and into the Austrian hereditary lands of Württemberg. Unknown to d’Ornano, the Austrians had been gathering all the weapons and soldiers they could spare by the Rhine for an incursion into the Netherlands. In May 1609 the French army started to cross the Rhine and soon advance through Baden and Alsace into Württemberg. Then the Austrians attacked. Guillaume was slain by the Austrian cavalry attacking his headquarters. The French retreated back to the Rhine, suffering crushing losses of men and material. The Huguenot incursion into Austria had been the biggest military disaster in all of Henri’s reign.

battlekonstanz.jpg

OUCH

When the remnants reached Metz they brought with them the news of the Austrian advance that had followed them from Württemberg. Within a month most of French Lorraine was under siege. Henri had no troops to field against the Austrians. One part of his army was in England, another in Spain while the third was regrouping. Now peace was the only option.

Last edited:
Ouch! Seems invading England wasn't such a good idea after all...