• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

canonized

Heartbreaker
73 Badges
Oct 10, 2006
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • March of the Eagles
June1.png

Welcome to the AARLANDER , AARland's monthly publication ! If you would like to write for the AARlander , contact canonized or English Patriot - everyone is welcome ! Also , what's the best way to support the AARlander aside from writing ? Give comments ! Put your comments in the AARlander: Comments and Discussion Thread for our writers to read !​

Code:
[I][U][B]Editor in Chief and Cover Artist [/B][/U][/I]: 
canonized

[I][U][B]Assistant Editors on Staff[/B][/U][/I]: 
English Patriot  General_BT  Estonianzulu

[I][u][b]Contributors for This Month[/b][/u][/I]: 
comagoosie   Estonianzulu   canonized
English Patriot   Capibara   TheHyphenated1
Qorten   phargle  General_BT   robou

[I][U][b]Other Writers or Contributors on Staff[/b][/U][/I]: 
Judas Maccabeus  LeonTrotsky  Hajji Giray I   crusaderknight      TreizeV
JimboIX  VILenin  Grubnessul  jeffg006   Myth   grayghost   Kurt_Steiner  Cyrus_The_Great
Mettermrck  Avernite   DerKaiser KanaX   Alfred Packer   AlexanderPrimus   Atlantic Friend
Code:
[B][U]TABLE OF CONTENTS[/U][/B]

[B]Part I: IN NOMINE...[/B]
   [anchorlink=I1]In Nomine AARland! by English Patriot[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I2]In Nomine's Impact on AARland by comagoosie[/anchorlink]

[B]PART II: AARLAND: WHAT'S HOT THEN AND NOW[/B]
   [anchorlink=I3]Yellow Journalism by Estonianzulu[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I4]Mihi Est Imperare Orbi Universo by Qorten[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I5]What does MEIOU v2.1 add to your game? by Qorten[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I6]Realism in AARs by TheHyphenated1[/anchorlink]

[B]Part III: A SUMMER OF WRITING[/B]
   [anchorlink=I7]Why Do We Write? by Capibara[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I8]Inside Phargle's Brain: Ten Things I Hate About Canonized by phargle[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I9]You've Been Canonized: SeanB by canonized[/anchorlink]

[b]Part IV: ARENAS OF CONFLICT[/b]
   [anchorlink=I10]The Dardanelles Campaign by robou[/anchorlink]
   [anchorlink=I11]The Fortress Revolution by General_BT[/anchorlink]

Last edited:
[anchor=I1]In Nomine AARland![/anchor]
By English Patriot

And so on, hello and welcome the show. Once again I have had the pleasure of playing the latest Paradox has to offer, on my awful home computer, nevertheless, my turtle-like struggle to liberate France was in terms of gameplay, immensely fun, yes I played France, I won't play Byzantium ever, despite the novelty.

Lets get straight down to business, the start date has been set back to 1399, as you'll soon find out from the start game screen, while its nice to have a few more years to play around with, I would have preferred sticking the start date to something like 1415 or so, and extending the end date to 1836, we already have Crusader Kings for our Medieval goodness, but we still seem to be missing 15 years, and though it seems pedantic to say so, I'd have preferred more length on the other end of the tape measure, this is further augmented by new Tech levels, the Latin nations begin at 3, roughly equivalent to level 0 in old EU3 terms which will give me yet more enjoyment as my glorious conquistadores bring civilisation to the New World, and probably helps simulate the interesting differences in advancement throughout the world. The map has undergone some changes, as all of you familiar with the weekly sneak peeks will know, new provinces have been added which I can't and won't complain about, its not a massive difference, but its a nice touch to see more provinces in the Low Countries, Italy, Germany, Spain, Russia and the good old Balkans, which gives us more provinces to raze. Did I say raze? I did, yes gather round fans of war atrocities, the new option “Scorch the Land” gives you even more options to commit gloriously cruel acts upon the unsuspecting people of say, Burgundy. This does actually have some strategic value, one can now adopt a scorched earth policy progressively burning ground as you flee and lowering the support limit of the province, though personally I have yet to use it on business terms, but more as a sort of flavour action.

Of course, some, no doubt will be wiping your sweaty palms in anticipation, yes Byzantium in all its melancholy is here, in a terrible state, and looking very forlorn in the face of the Ottoman Empire, if you brought IN to play the Byzantine Empire, then you are very silly, though I seriously doubt anyone would do such a thing. The Eastern Empire isn't the only new country added to IN, and for that I'm glad, the Byzantines were never Roman enough for me, unfortunately, like the Empire, many of these new countries are largely superfluous, you can now play, Aydin, whose claim to fame is that it almost ruled the west coast of Asia Minor for a century, almost. Aquileia seems to have more substance, situated where most of Venetia used to be, it is unfortunately a Religious state, so I can't personally do much with it, however, it looks good on a map, Galicia is another decent addition, though I say decent, its claim to fame is disappearing, though one could say the same about Aragon, so I'll keep quiet. Jalayirid, Majapahit and Sukhothai have been added to the gargantuan continent of Asia, and as such, I've not seen them, well more people for me or Ming to conquer, whoever gets there first, the more interesting choice is the ability to form Scandinavia and from there reclaim the Norse conquests and so on, so forth.

The biggest and best thing, in my ever so humble opinion, is the addition of Missions, and the new AI. Both of these go hand in hand, not the terribly drab and generic missions of EU2, but contextual missions that you will see the AI attempting to fulfil as best they can, and often succeeding, as Castille, you are urged to complete the Reconquista, and take it further! France tries to liberate Aquitaine from the ever perfidious English, and England just tries to keep what its got. This for me is the real beauty of IN, I always enjoyed the non-deterministic nature of EU3, but sometimes I would get a little downhearted at the odd AI, with the new mission system the AI is pointed in familiar, but sensible directions, the missions are also fluid, in times of war, you may be told to protect your capital if it seems particularly vulnerable. The funny thing about this part of the review is, even though I think its the most important part of IN, there's not a hell of a lot to say about it, it does what it sets out to do, the AI acts in a plausible way and the games are given much more of a direction, its like saying the Sistine Chapel is very pretty, it clearly is, so what more is there to say? If you didn't like EU3 for being too free form, this is it Gentlemen, the Holy Grail as it were, now its as if you have a point, rather than wallowing around in whatever you like, and it is highly enjoyable. The Missions not the wallowing.

And can you believe it? Even the rebels are trying to do something nowadays with their free time. No longer do they arm themselves with pitchfork and stand around your city walls! Well the peasants do, but not the Nationalists, Patriots, Colonials, Revolutionaries, Nobles, Zealots, Heretics and Pretenders to the Throne! These rebels take more than a whipping to disperse and really add some distinction to a very generic part of EU3, each rabble has their own designs on your land, Colonials want to kick you out of your colonies, funnily enough, Revolutionaries seem intent on killing the Aristo's, Nobles are trying to do the opposite, Zealots and Heretics are at each others throats, Pretenders are at yours, and the Nationalists and Patriots just want to return to their rightful country, or make their own. Rebellions are much more fun this way, no longer a grey face and a rather dull excuse for a civil war, the Rebels put up a real front, only the peasants run after battle, most are more disciplined, their goals also impact the way they behave, Patriots rebel and attempt to defect to their home country, I was pleasantly surprised to see English Patriots rebel against the Scots and successfully return to England, not only that, they duly signed up and joined the army, smashing stuff!

Well, I made a passing reference to religion so I guess I'll use that as a bridge! Religion, much like colonisation has been totally reworked, hmm, might as well do both here. Well, say goodbye to the days of spending a pile of ducats and praying that the computer will roll under 54% or whatever number it decides to come up with, and goodbye to spamming colonies with colonists! Both are now handled on a long term basis, if you will. You still send your old missionary chap to the province, and he does his work, however, you now pay a small amount monthly, and he does the preaching until the locals realise the error of their ways and convert. That or they rebel, Paradox has written us a nice set of events to go with it, add that to the upped revolt risk for just sending a missionary to the Heathens. It still is a gamble, I've had provinces convert within weeks, but others within years, its entirely possible that the people never convert. All in all, a very good change. The religious tolerance has also been given an overhaul and once again, I'm a big fan of it, no longer can we arbitrarily fiddle with sliders, instead, tolerance is worked out in a much more sensible way, you like your own religion, heretics a bit less, and you don't like heathens at all, of course this can all be changed with the appropriate ideas or even religious decisions (think Edict of Nantes). Colonisation works in a similar fashion, you establish colonies with the usual suspects and then watch them grow into cities, another interesting and entirely welcome feature is the changes to the colony resources. Uncolonised provinces have no resources, and they are instead generated via events, now you must gamble for your resources, its not just a matter of running for the sugar islands, in addition, your colonies no longer generate production income, and little tax, but tariffs, the efficiency of which is decided by the size of your fleets (big ships only). Fleets are now unbelievably important for colonisation.

Buried in the previous paragraph, is a reference to the decisions in IN, once again, a brilliant addition, though I feel I've said that too many times. Decisions are much like events, they come in three varieties, governmental, religious, and provincial. The governmental decisions vary from passing the Militia Act, to Forming Great Britain, basically taking MTTH out of the equation, religious decisions affect missionary costs, efficiency, revolt risk in heretical provinces etc, and provincials range from local festivals to establishing Embassies. Though it may not seem like much, the whole system has a brilliant effect of actually making you feel as if you are head of the country, rather than swanning about waiting for Spain to form, you can do it yourself, the tooltips tell you all need to know about fulfilling the prerequisites so many events are no longer a mystery for the uninitiated.

Running the game in a small window and flicking through the manual simultaneously, the enormity of the changes are really quite staggering, almost everything has been tinkered, or rebuilt, warfare has been further streamlined, while there is still ping-ponging in war, it is far less obnoxious now that one is armed with the knowledge to easily destroy the enemy. The trade system has been refined, it now takes into account culture, trade agreements, personal unions and distance from capital, there are clear advantages to both mercantilism and free trade, the economy now works on a new supply and demand system, taking into account, production, market demand, warfare and society itself. Paradox has literally thrown advisors at us, now giving us a chance to influence policy to an even greater detail, the new AI is guided by the trust and rival system in place, and you can now tell whether they will accept your peace proposals, which is a blessing in itself, one no longer has to wander in the dark throughout negotiations.

The AI is another brilliant addition (there I go again) to IN, new AI agents have been added and the others overhauled. The AI picks its enemies according to its strategic position, it completes missions and spends properly, and best of all, does not cheat. The warfare AI is very fun to play against and even watch. I saw an English army defeat a Welsh army who proceeded to retreat into Wales, I had totally expected the English army to stop what it was doing and sit down to siege the rebel held province it was standing in. However, it chased the enemy army back into Wales, before cornering and destroying it, and then laying siege to the enemies provinces. The AI, protects itself, tries to relieve sieges, attacks your transport ships aggressively and really fights. The peace AI is also much easier to work with, and a lot more plausible in negotiations, understanding when it can win, and when it will lose.

In all honesty, what I have here, is but the tip of the Iceberg as far as In Nomine is concerned, there are so many changes that I have glossed over or missed in favour or more obvious changes, it is a real pleasure to play IN, a real pleasure, it works ever so well, the new AI, Missions, decisions, religious and colonial changes etc etc, they are all for the best I feel. In Nomine not only completes Europa Universalis III, but makes it into a new game. In truth, if you have EU3 and NA, there is no reason why you should not buy IN, it really is that good.

No scores.

Scores are for New Labour.

English Patriot is the author of I, Silvagensus

[anchor=I2]In Nomine’s Impact on AARland[/anchor]
By comagoosie, Your Roman LibrAARian

With IN released there has already been an invasion of IN AARs. I have gotten in touch with some writAARs and asked them what their opinions on how IN will change AARs and their manner. Here you will find out their views on what is the future of AARland now that IN is out. There is even the inside scoop on current and future hot AARs that you don’t want to miss.

splvo6.png

spl
Let's what we can force from the Texan’s mouth.

comagoosie: How do you think IN has/or will change the style of AARs?:

spl: It has provided more options to role-play, the additions of missions and the national decisions make things much more interesting.

comagoosie: With all the new countries and special features will "old" tricks of past EU3 games be used in IN?

spl: Such as the ....tactics.... I pulled in the early years of my Moldavian AAR? Or something else?

comagoosie: You know....the good ole days when everyone turbo annexed and pulled some "gamey" tactics on the AI.

spl: Ah, the fun of those...

spl: Well, I haven't played In too much, but I have found it much more difficult to use the gamey tactics as much, for example, getting Casus Bellis is much more difficult now that "Fabricate Claims" only gives you a temporary Casus Belli and not a core.

comagoosie: So would you say that the game is now harder?

spl: Yes, in the way that Magna Mundi made the game harder.

comagoosie: ok. Already there is an influx of IN AARs and you yourself hoped to write one. What do you think the majority will focus on?

spl: Probably in the regions that were nearly unplayable before. We will see more Eastern and Orthodox country AARs for sure! And England and France of course...

comagoosie: Yes! the infamous War.

comagoosie: Last question. Can you give us some insight on your next AAR?

spl: I haven't decided yet, doing another Moldavian one is unlikely since ...I just did that and Moldavia's only province at the start has no port! I can assure you, that is will be a strange country pick...like usual!

comagoosie: Alright thanks for participating and we will look forward to your unique AAR!

133310chewbaccal1vv3.jpg

The Wookie
Your demi-mod speaks, listening is advised.

comagoosie: Do you think IN will be influential in AARland and why?

The Wookie: Absolutely. I think it adds to storytelling a lot, with its missions and decisions and most importantly, the rebel types and what comes with that. There's more flavour to it, and that will definitely shine through in IN AARs.

comagoosie: So are you expecting there to be more narratives?

The Wookie: I don't know about that, but I do know that IN creates its own stories (more so than in EU3 or NA) and will thus help writers in that way. It's more dynamic, is what I'm trying to say, and will do part of the writers work for them.

The Wookie: I feel like many narrative AARs talk a lot about stuff that happens outside of the game, things a player could not do in-game. This is not the case in IN (to a certain extent of course)

comagoosie: Gotcha. In previous versions of EU3 we have seen world conquers and there has even been an AAR written about it. What do you think the chances are of a world conquer in IN and much less, have an AAR written about it. Why?

The Wookie: I don't think I have read that AAR, but I have seen many AARs that go nuts. For instance the Cypriot AAR, where the writer has a big chunk of the euroasian continent under his control. The chances of a world conquest in IN though, I don't know... Nationalism is tough and can get out of hand and war exhaustion can be completely crippling in longer conflicts.

The Wookie: I'm sure someone will try and write an AAR about it, but they would be less successful than in EU3/NA. Not only is warfare "slowed down" (in the sense that for your realm to remain stable, you need to have a cooldown period) but colonisation is a lot tougher now.

comagoosie: Does this mean you think this game is harder?

The Wookie: Absolutely. I don't know if you know this, but I've beta-tested In Nomine. At one point, I was playing Russia and was enjoying myself. I had a pretty large empire, it was 17-something and things were going well. Then the Ottomans decided to crash the party. 15 friendly provinces occupied later, my war exhaustion was through the roof and I could not spare the troops to defeat both the turks and the rebels. Of course since then rebel size has been toned down a bit, but things can get out of hand rather quickly.

The Wookie: It's certainly not frustrating, but it is challenging.

comagoosie: No we didn't know you beta tested and it sounds like those beta-rebels were a pain.

The Wookie: At one point, I had two stacks of 26,000 peasant rebels rise up in Moscow. Rebel size has been toned down to match the size of rebellions you get through events, instead of having them based on province manpower and some other modifiers.

comagoosie: Last question. Can you give us some insight on your current AAR? How is it like being the French?

The Wookie: Oh, ehm, I wanted to try writing an AAR again (I have a vicky AAR skeleton in my virtual closet). I felt that with IN I could tell a really cool story. As far as France goes, the wine, the women... Trés trés bien!

The Wookie: Oh and a shout-out to Dr. Zoidberg and The Gonzo, if I can

comagoosie: Alright a shoutout! It looks like that wraps it up. Thanks for participating and we will be sure not to miss your AAR.

That is it for the interviews. Now go out there and read the new IN AARs now!

Comagoosie is the author of For Rome's Honor and the Rome AAR Forum Librarian, Visit the Library!

[anchor=I3]Yellow Journalism[/anchor]
By Estonianzulu

For as long as man has had language, we have written things down. And as civilizations rise and fall, what they write gives the future a window into how they thought, what they believed and who they were. And in the civilization that is AARland, we are no different. On three occasions, some entrepreneurial members of AARland stepped up, organized and constructed a magazine for our little homeland. And each work gives a little glimpse into how the writers, and the readers, felt about the magazine, the AAR's, and AARland itself. How these works evolved and changed is indicative of how the world in which they were written changed.

The AARland Gazette

Coz1 defined the Gazette as "an opinion journal, more or less." And from March of 2004 until February of 2005, the Gazette published twice a month and included all the things you've come to love in this magazine: interviews, history and general discussion. Established and maintained by numerous authors over its year long life, the Gazette came together as a collaboration of the BAARtenders and was quickly a feature for AARland. In the first month, the Gazette hit on a wide variety of topics, including comments, history and, perhaps most centrally, what AARland was. All of these themes, in some way, would survive into the final issues.

Alexandru H first hit upon the underlying current of identity with his article "A Sense of Community." At the time, AARland was still new, a novel idea of briding the gap between the old separated threads of EU2, HoI and Victoria, and the AARlander presented us all with a way of discussing that. Hand in hand with this came an attempt at highlighting the uniqueness of each forum including Morpheus506's look at the Europa Universalis I AARs and MrT's discussion of the upcoming release of Crusader Kings. The early issues were capped off with interviews of the old members of the Free Company, starting with the company's founder Lord Durham. In all the first month was a tidy introduction to what The Gazette was gong to be.

The Gazette quickly hit its stride, and the themes of the early issues continued. But it is interesting to note that of the 7 articles in issue #3, 3 of them dealt with the identity of AARland. Coz1, Director and Alexandru H all discussed The Gazette and its place in AARland. Issue #4 saw an expansion outside of these themes, and began a series of articles on how to improve as a writer, how to work with screen shots, and how to better develop an AAR. This would continue well into the year, with new writers taking the helm and the focus shifting more and more to what an AAR is, rather than the world in which those AARs existed. I would encourage anyone with some spare time to look back over these articles, because the knowledge contained in them is well worth it.

In July, Coz1 published the results of a survey sent out to AARland. In an ironic twist, it was after this that The Gazette began to struggle. The number of articles dropped off dramatically, from 12 per month to 5. It got so bad that by Issue #11 and #13, there were only two articles posted. As time went on it became apparent that as a strong and self-sustaining work, The Gazette was obsolete. It became almost a pet-project of Amric, who wrote articles religiously. By the time January rolled around, the end was in sight, and by February The Gazette was no more. In the final issue, the early concepts and ideas of identity, and the future, came back into the spotlight. It was with a somber and quiet tone that the final article was laid down by CatKnight. And in February of 2005, the first magazine in AARland closed its doors.

The AARland Advocate

Almost a year later Singleton Mosby and Sir Humphrey revived the issue of an AARland magazine with the introduction of The Advocate. Mosby developed this periodical in an attempt to breed further inter-forum communication, and it was designed to focus on AAR's, writers, and the tools they use. And immediately The Advocate jumped into its purpose. The_shy_kid and Evans both wrote reviews on existing AARs, and Cthulhu brought Lord Durham back for his second interview on what AARland means. The first issue culminated in a book review, an advertisement and a series of highlights, brief introductions to contemporary AAR's. It was all wrapped up in a beautifully laid out format, and was an instant hit (with over 200 views in 24 hours).

The Advocate continued in full force until its 8th issue in August of 2006. It never seemed to fade or wane in its excellent quality, but there did seem to be a few continuing themes. The Advocate was very technical in its composition. The style of writing was always very similar, and the structure of each issue was almost identical, which created a very professional feel to the whole work. The conversations about how to write AAR's, the history of the period and the techniques of the game continued in full force, and the magazine was widely read in the forums. However, unlike The Gazette, the discussion and debate of what AARland was did not exist.

In the end The Advocate went the way of The Gazette but with much less fanfare. The Gazette died a slow, arduous death, and The Advocate just stopped. While I don't know why, it seemed kind of sudden. One day there was a magazine, the next it was gone. And for almost a year, we existed without a periodical again. The quiet, sudden death of The Advocate was unheralded, but as it left, the structures and community it was hoping to strengthen remained strong. AARland was no longer the 'future' but the present. AARland was a entity independent and strong, thanks to the work of these first two magazines.

The AARlander

Anonymous4401 developed The AARlander as his own project to succeed the previous periodicals. On July 1st 2007, the first issue of The AARlander was released. Anonymous took what worked the best with The Gazette in its wide approach to articles, and combined it with a clear cut organization reminiscent of The Advocate. The most impressive element of Issue #1 was the sheer number of articles. At 14, the first issue of this new magazine was an impressive slew of information organized into game topics, and covering a lot of ground. Already it seemed that this new work was the perfect successor to the old magazines.

The second issue saw a settling of the number back down to a reasonable 8. The articles were a mixed bag, combining real history, with the history of AARland, and reviews. Anonymous also used The AARlander to publish the results of the AARlander Choice Awards. It all came together in a very efficient and easy to follow way. And in issue #3, "Instrumentality" a sub-magazine by the Tempus Society, began to dominate much of the magazine. And the crew at Tempus soon became more prolific and dedicated than the regular writing staff. And so, when Anonymous stepped aside, Canonized and his fellows took over with a seamless transition.

And so we sit, with our 10th issue going to print, looking back on what came before us. The AARlander was inspired by the two magazines that came before it, but unlike The Gazette, this new work is for an established audience. We don't have to build a connection to the readers anymore, because that's what The Gazette did. And we don't need to lay out a game plan and try to build bridges, because that is what The Advocate set out to do. Instead, The AARlander can exist as its own entity. Now that AARland is a codified, long-lasting and well enjoyed institution, it can have a magazine with the same attributes. Although The AARlander may not exist forever, it will strive to survive and continue the long tradition of sharing history, talents and tools with all of AARland. As long as our civilization exists, and as long as we come together to write and read, there will be someone behind the scenes, reporting on the world we have created.

Estonianzulu is the author of “Footsteps of illustrious men”

[anchor=i4]Mihi Est Imperare Orbi Universo[/anchor]
by Qorten

“It is for me to command the whole world.” This is the translation of Gigau’s master mod MEIOU. The mod for EU 3: NA is probably the second most prestigious and one of the most popular among the EU3-players.

Gigau was born and raised in Nice, on the French Riviera. He studied at the University of Montpellier where he received a PhD in Virology. After his studies he moved to Belgium to become a research scientist at the University of Liège. I had an interview with him about his mod.
~~

Qorten: When did you discover Paradox games and the forum?

Gigau: I discovered Paradox with Europa Universalis 1, not long before EU 2 was published. I loved the game immediately. I discovered the forum in 2005 while in search of solutions to problems I had with EU 2. It made me discover their other games, especially Crusader Kings, but also Victoria. I never really hooked up with Hearts of Iron.

Qorten: How did you get into modding, especially map modding?

Gigau: I’ve always loved working with graphics. I love to make Coat of arms for CK. I started working on a map for EU 2 but EU 3 came out before I got a chance to publish it. I like to play long campaigns, starting in CK all the way to Ricky. However the maps were too different to my taste when going from one game to the next. I started MEIOU to have a map closer to that of CK.

Qorten: MEIOU v1.0 was a pure map mod with emphasis on Europe. Do you have any idea how many provinces you added in Europe?

Gigau: I don’t remember exactly how many I added in 1.0, I guess about a hundred, mostly in Europe. In the latest version of MEIOU, there is a total of 321 new provinces and probably more provinces in further versions.

Qorten: In the latest version, MEIOU v2.1, you added many things belonging to a normal gameplay mod. Why did you decide to add a gameplay component to your mod?

Gigau: I felt I had finished with important province modifications, just adding a province from time to time according to the need, so I decided to add some flavour to the game. The major ones are new trade goods, the need to invest in colonies to raise taxes and avoid revolt risk, a Treaty of Tordesillas feature, the implementation of Dharper’s spread of Protestantism feature from Dei Gratia (MagnaMundi), Fuzzbug’s spread of Islam chain of events to model the spread of Sunnah and Shi’a denominations of Islam, dynamic wars, company charters and colonial cultures.

Qorten: That's an extensive list, but I believe there's a lot more on the horizon with In Nomine and MEIOU v3.0 coming soon?

Gigau: Well, for IN I’ll first have to see what it’s got, so I know what I have to adapt, modify, remove maybe… The biggest addition will be a largely reworked map. Europe will be pretty much the same, because I reached the maximum province density there. The other continents will look a lot different now though, especially the coastal areas. Also MEIOU v3.0 will start in 1356, the date of the Golden Bull creating the Holy Roman Empire as it is modelled in EU 3. My forum and thread are open to anyone with suggestions. After the map is done and the date is fixed I’ll see what additional missions, decisions, events I feel like adding.
Plus, I haven’t talked about this with anyone yet, but I intend to allow people to play MEIOUzation, a kind of Civilization-like map for the MEIOU-mod, much like the Civilization Universalis-mod.

Qorten: To end, do you like reading AAR’s? I can imagine you don’t have that much time for it with your work, family and modding together.

Gigau: It's true I don't have much time, but I enjoy reading AAR’s, even if I don't always take time to post comments. Worst, I didn't vote for the ACA. *runs and hides*

Qorten: Ah, well, I think I can forgive you that small sin as you’ve made a very good mod with MEIOU.

Gigau: Thanks and thank you for making AAR’s with my mod, and giving me the opportunity to present my mod.

Qorten: No problem, thanks and I hope to see you posting again in AARland!

Qorten is the author of BohemiAAR: An Alternate History

[anchor=i5]What does MEIOU v2.1 add to your game?[/anchor]
By Qorten

More trade goods, like cinnamon, sandalwood, gems,… In uninhabited provinces there is no trade good available. Once a nation settles successfully in a new province, an event will occur that creates a new trade good in that province. Sometimes, a second event might occur that changes the trade good with another. As an example the first trade good could be brazilwood, but once a particular amount of the rainforest is cut more space becomes available for sugar and thus sugar becomes the new trade good.

Uninhabited provinces start at zero base tax. In order to raise the tax level events will occur that give you a choice: invest in the province and raise the base tax level, or don’t and suffer the heightened revolt risk. As your colonial empire grows more of these events occur, so you’d better have some cash in reserve if you don’t want to take a loan.

Treaty of Tordesillas: Two nations get advantages in colonizing over other Latin nations. The first nation to colonize a province in the Americas gets an advantage in the Americas, the first to colonize a province in Africa or Asia gets an advantage in those continents. They can steal provinces from competing colonial powers if they are in their sphere of influence. Their colonial provinces get a higher population growth, but their European provinces get reduced population growth, much as happened in reality in Spain and Portugal during the EU 3 era.

Spread of Protestantism: Basically this is Dharper’s spread of Protestantism feature from his Dei Gratia mini-mod, also implemented in MagnaMundi.

Spread of Islam: Fuzzbug made a special chain of events to model the historical spread of sunnism and shiism in the Islamic world.

Company Charters: In order to model the European colonization of India and South East Asia more correctly, Fuzzbug scripted a chain of events for European nations, giving them the opportunity to settle trading posts in provinces owned by Indian or Indonesian countries, like Goa, Madras, Pondicherry,… Ultimately the event chain might end with a European nation peacefully gaining an Indian or Indonesian province.

Colonial Cultures: Many new cultures are added in MEIOU v2.1. They are mostly colonial cultures. These are cultures that might appear in colonial provinces some decades or ages after the initial colonization. For example, when playing as France you might colonize in the Caribbean. If so, these provinces’ culture may very well change in time from French to Creole, thus reducing province income and raising revolt risk. This might lead to wars of independence such as the American Revolutionary War or the independence movements in the 1820’s in South America.

Dynamic Wars: This is Alvya’s chain of events for provinces to change ownership during war if it’s been in enemy occupation long enough without a try from the original owner to be retaken. In MEIOU v2.1, you need to control an enemy province for ten years and your enemy may not try to retake it during that time. Obviously, you must still be at war ten year’s after occupying the province. This system works for provinces with the same accepted or main culture, provinces you have a core on, colonial provinces, provinces with the same religion group as your national religion (works only in a religion war) and the feature is also edited to work for Russian nations when conquering the steppes.

Qorten is the author of BohemiAAR: An Alternate History

[anchor=I6]Realism in AARs[/anchor]
By thehyphenated1

"My Lord," said the Venetian man-at-arms, wiping sweat from his brow, "the Byzantines are pressing the attack against our vanguard."

"Do not fear, Pasquale," replied the Doge as he tightened the straps of his all-encompassing plate armor, "the Byzantine king has a low military rating, and his troops will flee before us as soon as we unleash our state-of-the-art thirteenth century weaponry on them."

Pasquale D'Amatrio looked unconvinced. He had seen the Byzantine king, Jimmy VIIII, riding at the front of his cataphracts in his resplendent purple robes lending encouragement to his men. "It will be a tough fight today, Milord," he said, carefully loading his pistol "and I have no intention of making this day my last."

Realism is a central factor in all AARs. As a working definition, realism means about the same thing as historical accuracy or verisimilitude. That is, how exactingly has an earlier time and place been recreated, and if the AAR differs from history, how thoroughly is this explained?

From the most casual game play romp to the most painstakingly researched historical epic, the author's attitude towards realism fundamentally shapes the tone of his AAR and determines the nature and breadth of his readership.

Did you notice anything strange about the above passage? Take a moment to see where you fall in the spectrum of realism-conscious AARlanders.

Apathetic – Huh? The talk about Byzantines was all Greek to you.

Casual – You wondered whether there was really a Byzantine king named Jimmy.

Average – You noticed that "military rating" is a game mechanic that would not have been mentioned by historical characters.

Hobbyist – You realized that Pasquale would not have had a pistol in the thirteenth century.

Buff – You realized that full plate armor had not yet been developed. You also counted the Is in "Jimmy VIIII" and realized that the correct form would be "Jimmy IX". Besides, you thought, he would have been the Byzantine emperor anyway.

Grognard – You took pointed note of the fact that historically, Pasquale would have called the enemy the Romans and not the Byzantines. It also took great willpower for you not to comment on the fact that King Jimmy's robes would not have been purple, but rather a sort of reddish-maroonish-violety sort of color called Tyrian Purple. You probably have a sizeable chunk of your monthly paycheck automatically sent to Osprey Publishing.

Obsessive – You went to Google and after a little digging confirmed your suspicion that Pasquale would have been an uncommon name for an Italian born in the North. You probably wanted very badly to quibble about my assertion on the development of plate armor, and very possibly to even debate my statement about the correct form of King Jimmy's regnal numerals. You will wake up from a sound sleep tomorrow night worrying about the most accurate spelling of "cataphracts". You canceled your automatic deposit arrangement with Osprey years ago, and consider anyone who reads their titles to be an amateur.

Factors to Consider
Realism is a complex issue for writers to consider, and more realism is not always better. There are a number of areas in which you will need to make decisions about realism when writing your AAR. From the photographs you use to the words your characters speak, the sum of these decisions will, in large part, determine who reads your AAR and how much they enjoy it.

Photographs/Art – Properly done, photographs and/or artwork can add immeasurably to an AAR. While description goes a long way in stimulating the imagination, and screenshots can help readers in visualizing certain broad concepts, there is nothing like a magnificent painting or vintage photograph to bring the world of an AAR to life.

The author's goals with regard to realism play a dominant role in choice of graphics. Some will include a combat photograph from the Vietnam War in their World War II AAR "because it looks cool" – or substitute a column of Abrams tanks in Iraq for Panthers racing to seize Baku. Others will be about to include a gorgeous, high-resolution color photograph of Imperial Japanese Army soldiers charging into combat, only to notice that the officer in the center is holding a pistol that was not issued until six months after the current date in their AAR, and scrap the whole photo.

Most authors don't mind using a photograph of one ship to represent a different one of a similar type, or inserting an over-romanticized painting of a cavalry charge, as long as the general effect of the picture enhances readers' enjoyment and understanding. In crafting your own AAR, you should keep in mind the nature of your intended audience, and plan your graphical aids accordingly.

Dialogue – The question of realism in dialogue is of particular concern to authors of narrative AARs. Realism in dialogue runs the gamut from deliberately modern language (or even l33t5p34|<) played up for humorous effect – all the way to thieves in Regency London speaking almost-unintelligible cant. Assuming that you're not going for humor, the factor to consider here is clarity versus immersion. While readers might know exactly what the British officer at Waterloo means when he says "Better get psyched to defeat Napoleon," such language distracts from the AAR's historical flavor. On the other hand, spending hours researching Elizabethan expressions is not going to help anyone if your readers can't understand what they mean. It is a valuable skill as a writer to be able to clearly and concisely write dialogue that at the same time contributes to the verisimilitude of the story.

Gameplay - There is one issue of realism which should be considered while playing. Will you consciously alter your play style to be more "realistic" or will you use the game mechanics to full effect to bring about victory. Many AARs establish "house rules" which limit what the authors feel to be unrealistic loopholes for the player to exploit. Your choice here will primarily impact your own gaming experience. Would you rather try to "beat" the game or do you find it more appealing to "tinker" with historical possibilities?

From the standpoint of writing an AAR, your game play style should be dependent on your intended writing style. If your goal is to break the record for fastest World Conquest by the Sentinalese Islanders, then naturally you should use every tool at your disposal to do so. On the other hand, if your goal is to create an in-depth espionage drama about German spies in pre-WW2 France, completing Fall Gelb by March, 1936 is going to naturally cut your story short.

Terminology – The issue of terminology will play one of the greatest roles in shaping your readership. Did the besieging army use "artillery" or "demi-culverins"? Did the flying ace have draped around his neck "a large medal" or the "Pour le Mérite"? If you are writing about an 18th century naval battle and your terminology goes no deeper than "sail" and "cannon", many readers will not feel properly immersed in the world of the AAR. On the other hand, if you're writing about Nazi Germany and freely toss about acronyms like OKL, RSHA, and KDF without explanation, your readers will naturally be limited to those who already know what those acronyms mean. It seems that most authors try to strike a balance between the two extremes by researching and including a certain degree of specific terminology, but assuming that readers do not know it all beforehand and providing explanations. This might bore an Obsessive, but will make an AAR more accessible to an Average or Casual reader. Some authors even find clever plot devices for introducing readers to unfamiliar terminology (e.g. the young officer shown around a ship by a salty old midshipman). Such techniques provide a clever way of unobtrusively making your AAR's terminology appropriate for the widest audience possible.

History vs. Paradox – In some cases, the historical record differs from the way things are represented in the game. How you reconcile the two – and if you reconcile the two – is an important decision to make. In the event that the two contradict each other, which will you favor?

Because this is a Paradox game forum, most AARs tend to follow their respective games rather closely. I find that only a small segment of potential readers would be put off by this. On the other hand, following history very closely can prove confusing to readers who are used to the games.

For this reason, the most successful approach is to decide on one approach and stick to it. Consistency allows your readers to fully immerse themselves in your story, and form educated guesses about what will happen next.

How Things Work – The setting of practically any AAR is going to have significant differences from the world of today. Of course there are the obvious geopolitical differences, but also little differences in thousands of different areas of life that we take for granted. In your AAR, people are likely to eat their meals at different times of day, have different religious practices and put their clothes on differently. Will your spy in 1930s London be able to directly dial his handler from a telephone booth? Or will an operator put him through? Will you research what the operator would have said to a caller?

Too little detail, and more realism-concerned readers may not be satisfied. Too much, and the AAR runs the risk of bogging down. While there is certainly a small core of Obsessives who would love to read every single step of building a trebuchet, most readers will probably lose interest if it isn't hurling rocks after five thousand words. In deciding how to write your AAR, the balance you strike is a personal choice, and one largely dictated by the amount of research time you can put into your writing.

Final Thoughts
Throughout this article, I have hammered on a central theme from several angles: consider your audience. One of the great strengths of AARland is the great variety of writing styles that coexist and complement one another. The decisions you make about realism will shape your audience. Do you want to write a widely-read comedy? Too much emphasis on historical nitty-gritty can intimidate readers. Or will you be writing to please the most fanatical obsessives? If so you better do your homework, or they'll send their cataphracts after you.

…or is it kataphrakts?

TheHyphenated1 is the author of Weltkriegschaft

[anchor=i7]Why do we write?[/anchor]
By Capibara

Hello there, fellow readAARs and writAARs, after coordinating the Spanish Section of the AARlander for a couple of months, I have decided to leave in hands of Kurt_Steiner, whom I am sure, will do a far better work than me. So now I have decided to start writing for the main section of the AARlander. For this time, I will be writing about something, as a writer, I have always asked myself, why do we write? What makes us write? So without further ado, let us begin.

Ever since I decided to study Literature, about four years ago, I have been writing continuously, or at least I try to do it; and every time I do it, I feel a rush of joy and inspiration that makes me keep going, just as right now. Every word, every phrase, every paragraph, all of it comes from deep inside me, from my very essence. And it just keeps coming, every single time I take a pen, I feel nothing else matters.

So I make this question to myself, what makes me write? Or, why do I write? It’s a tough question, as easy as it is to let words flow from the tip of my pen, it’s difficult to understand what is exactly that moves me to do it. So I decided to look inside me to search for the answer. I started by going to the very beginning of this, and that is when I decided to become a writer. Although I have been reading since I was six, I have never thought of writing something. And suddenly, the very same night after a poetry declamation contest, I came with my first poem, after that, many more followed, while I wrote a short novel by petition of one of my friends. This is where I found the first reason, and maybe the most obvious: express my feelings.

But that was not enough, I knew there had to be something else, so I advance a couple of years more, when I left poetry for narrative, and I started writing short stories, most of them history-themed. By those days I came as well with the idea for a novel, which I’m still writing, but I think is going pretty well. So here is where I arrived to the second reason, which I consider more important than the previous one: creating my own worlds, being able to put down on paper all of those stories and adventures I have always imagined since it I was a kid, and therefore share it with others, makes me feel very satisfied, but I still had to find one last reason, which only appeared during this last year.

After two semesters of university, and a lot of essays written, I arrived to the third reasons. All of these essays I wrote, necessarily carried my point of view, what I thought of one theme or another. And this gave me confidence, being able to have my own opinions and discuss about them with my friends and professors.

And those may be the three main reason of why do I write, but every time there is something else, something that can not be explained that will make us keep going, even when we feel tired. So, apart from the reasons I mentioned, with which you may agree or disagree, there will be something personal and mysterious that will keep filling AARland with such wonderful works that we see everyday. As for me, I will probably start writing a narrative AAR this summer. And for those readers out there, write an AAR! I’m sure it will be well received and you will get help for whatever you need.

Capibara is the author of The ABC AAR

[anchor=I8]Inside Phargle’s Brain: Ten Things I Hate About Canonized[/anchor]
By phargle

It’s AARlander time again, and with it comes the third installment of Inside Phargle’s Head. Granted, we’re on something like Issue #9 for this fine magazine. You might ask yourself: What happened to the other six installments of Inside Phargle’s Head? It’s a good question to which I have a perfectly good answer. I have a few bad answers too, if you want ‘em, ranging from Phargle’s Head Hasn’t Got That Much Inside It all the way up to My Homework Ate It, but neither of those answers has quite the magnificence and totality of the real one, which is that it’s all canonized’s fault.

Magnificence and totality are two important things when it comes to writing AARs. You might ask yourself, what does phargle mean by magnificence and totality? At this point, I’m going to have to ask you to direct your questions to me. The answers will be better. Unless you want to write this article, that is.

Magnificence is the sense that you’re writing about something rather than nothing. A successful AAR is based around the ability of the author to make the reader believe that the events in the story matter. If something matters, the readers will want to know what happens next. It’s easy to repeat a series of facts (“This happened, and then that happened, and then this other thing happened”), but we all remember how boring history class was when we had teachers who taught that way, and it’s not any less boring now that the history is fake. What takes a little bit of skill is the ability to make those facts interesting and compelling. This works no matter the scale. If you’re portraying the lives of an individual, you want to write things so that the decisions that person makes and the things that happen to them seem important – at least, if nothing else, to that individual. And if you’re writing at the larger scale of countries and epic wars, you want to give them meaning. There are tricks to this. I said it took skill earlier, but all it really takes is a few simple tricks.

The best trick to making things matter in the AAR is to make it absolutely clear what the stakes are. If a reader knows what is at stake, then they know what will happen if the protagonist should fail – and that can make a scene powerful! Imagine if they showed the scene in Star Wars where Luke swings across the ravine without actually showing that there was a ravine. It would’ve sucked. Luke’s desperate gamble would’ve meant little to us because we would’ve had no idea what was at stake. By showing the ravine, we knew that he had to make it – otherwise he’d fall, or the storm troopers would get him. We can translate this pretty easily into a game. Again, the scale doesn’t matter. A third-person character-driven AAR could easily have a paragraph or two detailing what can go wrong. A gameplay AAR could show the enemy hordes that will be able to pour through the front lines if a gap isn’t plugged. You can even make something as boring as an election in Victoria matter just by indicating the direction the country will go if the wrong side wins. And, conversely, if you don’t do this, even something exciting like a battle can seem dry and lifeless. Ten thousand Romans face off ten thousand Gauls at the Po! . . . because why? If the reader has the impression that the Romans could fail and the Senate would offer a collective shrug, you’ve failed to make the battle matter. The scale isn’t important, either; heck, even the events themselves aren’t important. What’s important is that you make the events matter by placing them as a crossroads in a larger context.

A larger context takes us to the next point: totality. Let me explain totality by offering up the opposite. Often, we writers can get ourselves trapped in the grind of churning out update after update without any larger context. Each update stands on its own merits, and the overall story is episodic because each update is standing on its own merits. This gives AARs a bit of disconnected soap opera feel – nothing changes, and you can walk away for a few months and come back to the same old same old. The cure is to aspire to a storytelling style wherein each update fits into the totality of the AAR. This requires a bit of planning; you have to know where you’re going if you want to know how to get there, and it’s no different in an AAR. And it’s not just about throwing in story arcs or a bit of plot. By fitting everything into a context, we produce a feedback loop in which context provides the story with magnificence. If humble Bavaria is trying to unify Germany and they lose a major battle to Prussia, and the readers know your goal, the event within the totality of the story is given added heft. It starts to matter. It becomes magnificent.

There are tricks to this as well, and most of them involve being a fake and a phony. It’s okay. It’s good enough for Joss Whedon, so it oughtta be good enough for you. Listen close. This one is good.

Plot backwards.

There. That’s the trick. You plot backwards. What this means is that, while it’s all well and good to have an ultimate goal in mind for your story, it can often be hard to fit every idea you have into a larger narrative. As long as you know that going into the AAR, you can still make each update work for you. The trick is to add a few little details here and there – flavor, really – that you can use as threads later to weave the update into the larger narrative. Think about that for a second. If a few stray armies are doing weird things, mention it. If a count asks to marry somebody in your court, mention it. If a minor event challenges the stability of your nation, mention it. You can give them an explanation of the moment if you like, but the important thing is to establish that they happened. . . and then, later on, you can reach back and give those threads a little tug. Imagine the narrative thrill you’ll give your readers who have been paying attention to every little detail if a major villain suddenly takes credit for recent dark events – or, better still, what if one of those little details can be used to explain the villain’s rise? You might not have had a villain in mind when the events occurred, but adding one later will be a lot more rewarding if you can make it seem planned. Clever readers will start guessing at that sort of thing once they realize everything is “connected”, and you might even cheat another step by offering up the minor details (again, without knowing how they fit into the larger context) and then using the best ideas offered by the readers as they muse about what it all means. They won’t know you’re doing it, and they’ll feel real smart – and real connected to the story – when they turn out to be “right.”

I’ll bet you any number of donuts that Lost does this all the time.

So there you have it – magnificence and totality. Two things that describe why it’s all canonized’s fault. I’m pretty sure I passed the word quota on this thing two hundred and thirty words ago. Canonized says I can be as long as I want, which is creepy if he’s not talking about word quotas, so either way that makes me all out of time here folks. I’ll sum up by saying that canonized is to blame, screw that guy, and you can add magnificence and totality to your stories by lying and cheating. Good day!

phargle is the author of Solomon of Itil

[anchor=I9]You've Been Canonized placeholder (coming in a day or so due to technical difficulties !)[/anchor]

[anchor=i10]The Dardanelles Campaign[/anchor]
By robou

The Dardanelles Campaign, often referred to as the Gallipoli Campaign, named after principal town in the region, has been called one of the Commonwealth’s worst military disasters, perhaps even more so then the Somme. While the initial idea for the campaign was well thought out, it ended up in failure due to various reasons, and was as much due to Turkish success as it was to Commonwealth failings. I shall be discovering what were these major causes were, and ultimately why the offensive failed.

The plan itself, thought up by Winston Churchill, at the time First Lord of the Admiralty, was good. A swift naval campaign, clearing the narrow straits between Asia and Europe of Turkish forts and minefields, before landing troops in Istanbul and ending the war with the Ottoman Empire. While charging up the narrows, a mere 2 ¼ miles wide at the mouth and less than a mile at the narrowest part and protected by several heavy-gun batteries and mobile howitzer on both sides, was hardly the ideal situation, Britain could easily free up several battleships that were considered too vulnerable to use against the Kaiserliche Marine.

As for a supporting land force, the newly formed Mediterranean Expeditionary Force (MEF) was chosen, consisting of 3 parts. British forces: the Veteran 29th Infantry Division, elements of 2nd Mounted Division of Yeomanry, elements of Royal Naval Division and units of the Royal Marines. Commonwealth Forces: The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC), consisting of the 1st Australian Division as well as the Australian and New Zealand Division. There was also a contingent of Indian troops of the 29th Brigade including 3 Battalions of Ghurkha Rifles. French Forces: Le Force Expéditionnaire Orientale (FEO), consisting of several metropolitan and Senegalese battalions. The choice of force was, certainly, not a factor that helped ensure defeat. The troops were of incredibly high quality, and although the ANZAC troops were inexperienced they would soon show their tenacity in the heat of battle.

Even with this highly professional force at his disposal, Lord Kitchener would make some bad choice of who was to lead them into battle. In charge of the MEF as a whole was General Sir Ian Hamilton, who while being a competent leader, loved by his men, he was 62 by 1915, a spent most of his time away from the battle, very unclear about the already unclear situation on land. At a lower level, his divisional commanders varied. At one end of the scale was Lt. General Sir William Birdwood, commander of the ANZACs, a very competent commander who, unlike many of his counterparts, was willing to act without higher authority and cared about the welfare of his men. Other commanders, such as Sir Aylmer Hunter-Weston, commander of the 29th Infantry, while being charming and brave, had devoid imaginations and unable to learn from their consistent mistakes.
The two principle commanders on the Turkish side, however, were two of the best military minds in the world at the point. The overall commanding officer was General Liman Von Sanders, head of the German military mission to the Ottoman Empire. Well versed in the requirements of modern warfare, Von Sanders did his best to modernize the Ottoman Army, but he was unable to do with to a great extent due to a lack of resources. He deployed the 15th Army well, although he made a few mistakes that he could not have known were bad choices. On the actual peninsular, one Turkish commander, in charge of the 19th Division, would prove himself within a few hours of the British landings. This man was Mustafa Kemal, and he would be one of the most important factors, or at least his decisions were, in deciding the outcome of the campaign.

So, we have looked at the set up of the campaign. We can see that Turkish forces were well-prepared, with Artillery and forts, as well as two good commanders. The British forces were competent enough, but their commanders, albeit Birdwood, were generally incompetent or too far away from the battle to understand exactly what was going one. Now we shall look at the actual campaign.

The Naval attack, supposed to sail through the straits, blasting the Turkish Forts and clearing the minefields, began on February 19th, 1915. Rear-Admiral Sackville Carden sent 12 Capital ships to clear the Turkish forts. Bad weather prevented any accurate fire, and it was not until February 25th that an all out attack on the Forts began. The Turkish and German gunners simply left their positions, finding it useless to fire their obsolete 10in guns at the ships. These guns were destroyed by Marines, but these were forced to withdraw when the Turks came back. However, the Howitzer batteries proved too illusive to be hit by naval fire. While these 6in guns posed no threat to the Battleships, they were very effective against the minesweepers, of which only a few survived after an operation March 13th.

Things went well until March 18th. When the French squadron, serving under British command, was ordered to turn back to allow another wave of British ships to continue the attack, the French ships turned towards the Asiatic shore to move out of the way. However, in line parallel to the shoreline, the Turks (namely the mine expert Lt. Colonel Geehl) had laid a strip of 20 mines. Unaware of this threat, the French Battleship Bouvet ran into one of these mines and sunk in two minutes with almost all her crew. Next, the Battlecruiser HMS Inflexible hit a mine near where the Bouvet had sunk, but stayed afloat limping off to Malta for repairs. Next to hit a mine was HMS Irresistible hit a mine, and attracted the attention of Turkish gunners, who pounded the stranded ship. HMS Ocean went into assist, but was also hit by a mine. Both ships sank, but their crew was saved by brave Destroyer action. With these losses, the naval attack was called off, and troops would need to be landed to secure the forts.

Troops were already nearby, on the Greek island of Lemnos, but a lack of harbour facilities meant the delay of land operations for 6 weeks, in which time Von Sanders better prepared troops and positions for landings.

The plan was for multiple landings all along the Gallipoli Peninsular, running from a diversionary raid in the north, through to Gaba Tepe, down to Cape Helles at the mouth of the Narrows. The Anzacs were to land at Gaba Tepe, while the British and French at Cape Helles (after the French had created a diversionary raid on the Asiatic side of the stratis).

The Landings began on 25th April at Gaba Tepe. The Anzacs were promised landing on a wide beach, at least a mile long, with good access to the peninsular. Instead, they met with a beach about ½ mile long and high cliffs just after the small beach. Unknown to the troops, their landing boats had been dragged a mile down the coast by a current, and were landing in the wrong location. This was both a blessing and a curse. During the actual landing, their met with only sporadic rifle fire, as the Turkish had their machineguns and artillery trained on the beach at Gaba Tepe. While the troops got off with few casualties, with Birdwood landing in the first wave, there was mass confusion about the area they were in. However, acting on initiative, Birdwood kept to the offensive, ordering men inland, to see what opposition they could find. Unfortunately for Birdwood’s Anzacs, the terrain in front of them broke the advance up. When Mustafa Kemal attacked with the 19th Division, the Anzacs were too displaced to hold out. Kemal claimed the high ground, around the peak of Chunuk Bair, which would give him the advantage over the Anzacs until the end of the campaign, and this was a major factor in decided the defeat of the Anzac troops. Had they have landed where they would have supposed to; they would have taken many more casualties on the beach, but would have had more success once off the beach. In the situation, the beach where the Anzacs landed, soon renamed Anzac Cove, became a siege ground, each side digging trenches against each other.

Further down the coast, the British were getting a much hotter welcoming from the Turks. At ‘y’ beach, the King’s Own Scottish Borderers met no resistance and the whole flank of the lower peninsular was open to them. Lt. Colonel Matthews of the Royal Marines was able to walk the ½ mile to Kithira, the objective of all the British beaches, and find it unoccupied. However, a dispute between two officers who both believed they were the CO on ‘Y’ meant that no advance was made. By evening, the Turks arrived and controlled the high-ground. Matthews gave his verdict to Hamilton, and the 2,000 men on ‘Y’ were evacuated, and moved to the tip of Helles.

Galipoli.jpg

At ‘X’ beach, the next one down the coast, there were only 12 Turkish defenders when the British landed, and the beach was taken easily. The troops here then moved off to secure a land route to ‘W’ beach. At ‘W’ the Lancashire Fusiliers faced two companies of Turkish troops with Machineguns. The Fusiliers braved the fire and secured the beach, though taking severe casualties in the process. It was the time a unit had landed in such an operation under fire, and the Lancs won 6 VCs in the process.

Around the corner of Helles, at Sedd-el-Bahr, the Royal Munsters, the Royal Hampshires and the 1st Royal Dublin fusiliers landed at ‘V’ beach. However, the manner of this landing was odd to say the least. These troops, aboard the Coiler SS River Clyde, would smash the ship into the beach and exit via doors in the sides. Shortly before 6:30, the River Clyde grounded itself on ‘V’ beach, and the first troops departed off it. However, exiting the ships doors 1 by 1, the soldiers were perfect targets for Turkish Machine gunners. After three hours of battle, only 200 men had got out of the ship and onto the beach, and after a second attempt, only another 200 were added to this total. It was not until darkness that the rest of the troops cold leave the armour-plated sides of the SS River Clyde, without suffering a casualty.

Another beach, ‘S’ was assaulted at 7:30, and by 10:00 all the objectives had been secured, but this was mainly due to the fact that the Turkish trenches were visible from the sea. This was most notable at Anzac Cove, where only 1,500 troops could be transported at one time. However, overall, minus the lack of organisation at ‘Y’ beach, the operation had been a success, and by the night of the 25th, 30,000 men were ashore. The problem was that, even with all this manpower, there was little space to use it. This was most apparent at Anzac Cove, where the ferocity of Kemal’s attacks had pushed the Anzacs into a bridgehead 3,500 yards long by 1,200 deep. It was a tight show for the Anzac troops, now digging in around the small perimeter.

While the Anzacs were hemmed in further north, the British had more room to operate, and began to think about taking Kithira, which Colonel Matthews could have easily done on the first day. Instead of an unoccupied position, the British would now face Artillery, Machineguns, and a good portion of the Turkish 9th Infantry Division.

Committed to the first assault on Kithira were the 29th Division, the 1st French Division, and the South Wales Borderers. The attack, although lacking enough artillery support, went reasonably well and by mid-morning the 29th Infantry were on the slopes of Achi Baba, the principle ridge in the region of Kithira. However, they had been so badly mauled by the time they got there that they could not hold the position. Hunter-Weston was adamant to hold the position, and it was not until Hamilton intervened in person that the battle was called off and the British retreated, having suffered 3,000 casualties out of 14,000 men involved.

After this failure Kitchener, who took a personal interest in the campaign, authorised that troops be taken from the Egypt Garrison to send to Gallipoli, although, amazingly, no one informed Hamilton. He eventually found out, and dug in while awaiting the 42nd Infantry Division and the 29th Indian Brigade to arrive. Von Sanders used the time to his advantage. Reorganizing his forces, moving 1 division from the north of the peninsular, one from the Asiatic coast, and receiving two from Istanbul, he saw fit, as well as Enver Pasha in Istanbul did, to launch an assault on the Allied Positions. The assaults, consisting of 18,000 men, failed to breakthrough, but caused many casualties, especially among the French forces, to the Allied forces, that Hamilton had trouble evacuating the wounded.

On the night of May 5th, Hamilton’s reinforcements arrived, and another attack on Kithira was ordered. It took 2 days to advance a mere 600 yards, and the British were still not in control of the high ground. When Hamilton suggested to Hunter-Weston that attacks should take place at night, to reduce casualties, he disagreed, meaning that daylight attacks would still happen, and by May 8th, Hunter-Weston’s daylight attacks had cost the allies a further 6,500 casualties.

More Turkish attacks, wasting over 10,000 men as casualties, at Anzac Cover failed, causing the Anzacs little damage. A virtual stalemate now came across at Anzac cove, although sometimes trenches were only 5 yards between each other.

These failed Turkish attacks, running from the 19th to the 20th of May, made Hunter-Weston, just promoted to Lt. General, decide to press onto the attack, believing the Turkish spirit to be destroyed. On June 4th, The British and French troops were ordered to attack the same positions as the last two times, Achi Baba Ridge and Kithira. The Turks knew exactly where the attack would come, and were ready in fortified positions with plenty of men and artillery. The Turkish spirit was hardly broken, but Hunter-Weston lost 4,000 men before he worked that out. The casualty rate was huge, and for example, the 2nd Hampshire Regiment was left with 100 men and no officers. This insistence by the unimaginative British command of throwing men into attack after useless attack also played a huge in the loss of the campaign.

When Hamilton decided that he was not going to make a breakthrough, the decision came to Kitchener, who had been promised reinforcements by Churchill. This swayed the old man’s mind, and Hamilton was told he was to receive 3 new divisions. However, the congestion problems, Hamilton already having too many men on the Peninsular, meant they would have to be landed away from Helles. Suvla Bay was chosen as the landing location, as this would assist the breakout of Anzac troops by threatening the Turkish rear. However, the situation was hardly favourable. The reinforcements were ‘New Army’ divisions, merely conscripts, and their commander, Sir Fredrick Stopford was much the same as Hunter-Weston, but without the aggressive flair.

The landing, scheduled for August 6th, would be supported by attacks at Anzac and Helles. At Anzac, the 1st Australian Brigade was ordered to make a suicidal charge at the Turkish defences at ‘Lone Pine’. Across a tiny front, 220 yards wide, the Australians made the attack, and only 1,200 of the 2,900 men of the Brigade made it back. The action won 7 VCs. Another suicidal attack by the 3rd Light Horse Brigade ended in slaughter at Russel’s Top, wave after wave of the tiny brigade going over the top. ¾ of the Brigades 600 men fell within 15 minutes of action. The Australians had suffered due to British planning flaws.

The actual landings at Suvla went well, most troops getting ashore quickly. They went, in fact, better then Stopford had foreseen, so he had no orders to advance, not until the late afternoon. These orders would be the undoing of the Suvla operation. With all his troops ashore, Stopford sat on the beach and drunk tea, waiting until noon to start his advance. However, Kemal wasn’t going to be waiting to advance. By noon time when Stopford decided to begin moving, the Turks controlled the high ground over the beach. It was a similar situation to ‘Y’ beach, but this time there were more targets for the Turks.
Stopford’s advance did not actually happen until August 9th, when he found to his discontent, that the Turks controlled all the major hills, and they were not going to give them up easily. On August 12th, the strangest happening of the campaign befell the 1/5th Norfolk’s. While advancing towards Kujuk Anafarta, the Battalion of over 100 men ceased to exist, and Hamilton remarked that “it was a very mysterious thing” for “not one of them ever came back”. The Norfolk’s had disappeared. This event, along with a few other, all but ended the campaign.

Hamilton was replaced by Sir Charles Munro, who immediately demanded that the entire force been evacuated. Hamilton estimated that evacuation would cost another 40,000 men. However, a visit by Kitchener himself, ordered by Prime minister Asquith, showed the general just how desperate the situation was. Munro was ordered to hold on at Helles while Suvla and Anzac Cove were evacuated. Birdwood was put in command of the evacuation. Using clever contraptions, such as an automatic firing rifle, and keeping the Navy shelling the Turks, Birdwood was able to take every man off the peninsular. From December 12th 1915 to January 9th 1916, all the troops were taken off Gallipoli, with the only casualties being 2 men injured at Anzac Cove, and 164 British casualties when Von Sanders ordered another attack on Helles, unaware that the British were all but evacuated. It was hardly the 40,000 men dead that had been estimated. The evacuation was, by far, the most successful operation of the campaign.

So in conclusion, it is easy to see what went wrong at Gallipoli. Incompetent commanders, such as Hunter-Weston and Stopford threw men into huge daylight attacks, of which they changed little over time. Another point to mention here is the flaws Hamilton made of not replacing those men. The lack of sufficient artillery support badly hampered attacks on formidable Turkish positions. British commanders also did not take any initiative, losing chances to take areas in a day that they would then be trying to take for the rest of the campaign. However, some note must be given to the Turkish commanders. Mustafa Kemal always pressed into the attack as soon as he could, ending hopes of major success at Anzac Cove for the British on the first day, as he did at Suvla. Liman Von Sanders, to a lesser extent, must be given credit, as his handling of the Kithira campaign ended out well for the Turks, and his belief in Kemal gave the Turk the support he needed for success.

As for casualties, during the campaign, although this figures are rough, 87,000 Turks, 25,000 British, 10,000 French, 7,300 Australians, 2,400 New Zealanders and 1,700 Indians lost their lives. A high price, on both sides of the line, for a campaign that achieved little.

I leave you with a poem, written in 1916 by a survivor of Gallipoli, Oliver Houge:

‘And all of our trouble wasted

All of it gone for nix

Still... we kept out end up –

And some of the story sticks.

Fifty years on in Sydney

They’ll talk of our first big fight,

And even in little old, blind old England,

Possibly someone might.’

Robou is the author of 'I'm sorry, but you're not the only one...'

Last edited:
[anchor=I11] The Fortress Revolution
By General_BT [/anchor]

The second major stage of the Military Revolution was the so called "Fortress Revolution," a fundamental change in the way European powers constructed and financed fortifications in the late 15th and early 16th centuries.

The rapid increase in the destructive power of artillery meant that traditional castle walls, high and thin, were now vulnerable. Traditionally impregnable fortresses, built at great expense, could now be laid to waste in a matter of days by concentrated artillery fire.

Two problems thus existed for European military engineers at the end of the 15th century. First, how to nullify the artillery that every large besieging army brought to the field, and second, how to do this without utterly destroying the budget of the state (who also needed money to field castle-destroying artillery pieces of its own!).

The initial answer to the first problem rested in the idea of counter batteries - using artillery to suppress artillery. Castles already under construction during this period were frequently modified, often with a long, low section before the most vulnerable part of the castle defenses, with ports for mounting cannon. Castle walls in general became stouter and lower, with rounded bases designed to deflect, rather than absorb, the energy of incoming artillery fire. Examples of these late castle designs include that of Sarza, Italy, and the Imperial Castle in Nurnberg, Germany.

Fortezza_di_Sarzana.jpg

Sarzana Castle in Italy, an example of late castle design in response to the increased threat of artillery fire. Notice the low, rounded nature of the walls - a far cry from the high and thin towers of Marienburg or Prague Castle.

Yet another development was also afoot that would further change the way fortresses were designed in Europe. The city states of northern Italy, lying on the perennial battleground for their larger neighbors, often did not have the resources, time, or space to reconstruct old fortifications. Thus many began using the materials readily on hand - the earth itself. City defenders would dig an immense trench around the strong point to be defended, and use the excavated earth to create low, thick ramparts. The advantage of this design was that it was cheap, relatively quick to make (compared to stone fortifications) and the low, thick ramparts (often 40 feet thick or deeper) were relatively impervious to cannonballs.

This basic design of very low, very thick ramparts became known as the trace italienne. It was only a short time before other, richer European powers began to copy this basic design, and the Italian city-states began to re-strengthen and rebuild these originally temporary fortifications into permanent stone structures.

As fortress designs improved, the trace italienne underwent another change - in an effort to achieve maximum counter battery fire on incoming attackers, fortresses began to be built according to geometric design - the famous "star-fortresses" that still dot the European landscape. By building the defenses in a star shaped design, defenders were able to focus more firepower on approaching enemies, while increasing the chances that incoming cannon fire would be deflected.

Fortbourtange.jpg

Bourtange Fortress in the Netherlands, an example of late 'star fortress' design. The basic fortress, a pentagon, can be seen in the center - this was likely constructed early on. Outside of this is the second ring of defenses, constructed in a geometric shape complete with bastions to maximize counter battery fire. Successive construction has added a partial third set of defenses to the bottom right, covering the fort's entrance. To take a fortress of this design would take thousands of men and months of siege work.

This had several monumental effects. Firstly, the place of the siege was quickly restored in European warfare. For a brief period in the late 15th century, it appeared as if the siege was an affair of the past, especially as successive French monarchs easily destroyed old Italian castles during successive wars across northern Italy. By the end of the 16th century, pitched battles were, as they were in the Middle Ages, once again a rare occurrence, with sieges taking the forefront once more.

Secondly, the construction of geometric fortress designs increased state demand for qualified, educated engineers. States funding and interest in education, especially in mathematics, skyrocketed. In an age where aristocracy still held a premier place in positions of command, the field of engineering was where merit could guarantee promotion and rank.

Finally, trace italienne designs were more effective than previous designs, requiring besiegers to bring more troops, more cannon, and more supplies for a siege. The end result of this was an endless spiral of increasing army size, matched by increasingly larger fortresses. The 16th century alone saw a rapid upward spiral in the size of standing state armies - in 1480, the French King's Ordannance armies mustered approximately 15,000 under arms. By 1648, the standing army of France was 150,000. At the height of Louis XIV's reign, it was over 400,000. In the space of 200 years, the size of the French royal army grew by more than 2600%! This vast increase was spawned by the need for more soldiers to man the increasingly large and intricate network of fortifications that protected France, as well as more troops for the field armies assigned to take the enemies fortifications and engage their larger armies.

Thus, the trace italienne and improved fortifications lead us to the next stage of the Military Revolution - the revolution in not just the size of European armies, but the means to support them. Logistics, obviously is not as sexy a topic as battlefield tactics, but nonetheless one that is just as crucial to military success. France during this two hundred year timeframe grew in population by only a tiny fraction of the increase in her army. How did Louis XIV and other European heads of state pay for this huge increase? This we will cover next month, in the last section of this series.

General_BT is the author of Rome AARisen-A Byzantine AAR

Last edited: