• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems only a matter of time before there is a clash with these west Europeans.

Somehow I imagine there is going to be a fair bit more consolidation and expansion in south-east asia

England as rival! Isn't it a bit early for the Scramble for Africa? :p

@macd21 @Tom D.

How do you keep motivated for your aars? I can never seem to really want to carry it on sadly.
There is nothing wrong with having a dip when writing an AAR. I think many people don't realise how much work it takes to maintain an AAR and especially to stay interested. Picking a nation where you have a connection with or which interests you personally is always a boost to keep going. Sometimes, taking a break for say two or three weeks is not bad, it could bring new thoughts or ideas on what you want or how you want to write new chapters.

To summon: nothing wrong with suddenly loosing interest, take a break or read some books/information even Wikipedia is good about the nation you're playing (I think Genoa definitely has some interesting history) and if necessary take a break. After that, if you still don't find the motivation, it's better to let it rest and end the AAR, nothing to shame for.

As for myself, I'm very sad to realise I have way too few time for my AAR at the moment. 'Test exams', papers to write and exams in the future are almost absorbing all my time. But real life is ALWAYS more important, and it's also no shame to take a break as result of that.

I hope I could relief you a bit from your burden :).

There is nothing wrong with having a dip when writing an AAR. I think many people don't realise how much work it takes to maintain an AAR and especially to stay interested. Picking a nation where you have a connection with or which interests you personally is always a boost to keep going. Sometimes, taking a break for say two or three weeks is not bad, it could bring new thoughts or ideas on what you want or how you want to write new chapters.

To summon: nothing wrong with suddenly loosing interest, take a break or read some books/information even Wikipedia is good about the nation you're playing (I think Genoa definitely has some interesting history) and if necessary take a break. After that, if you still don't find the motivation, it's better to let it rest and end the AAR, nothing to shame for.

As for myself, I'm very sad to realise I have way too few time for my AAR at the moment. 'Test exams', papers to write and exams in the future are almost absorbing all my time. But real life is ALWAYS more important, and it's also no shame to take a break as result of that.

I hope I could relief you a bit from your burden :).

Thanks, that definatly has releived me a bit, It's great to have those kind words :)

Thanks, that definatly has releived me a bit, It's great to have those kind words :)
I believe many also underestimate how much value comments or just this kind of 'sharing of opinions' between fellow writAARs have. So I'm glad to be able to have helped.

Reactions:
you are not alone, the very big majority of AAR gets no end, and updates just stop...

it can be hard to keep going midgame or end game.

It can help to set goals for the campaign, and try to go for them.

For my Haida AAR, my goal is to invade Europe and get the 'sunset invasion' capitals under my control.

If I obtain my goal, I just set new ones. Usually world conquest ;)

As Ethiopia, many goals are/were possible :)

Reactions:
Yeah, motivation can be a challenge at this point in the game. I actually like being beaten now and then, as it creates more of a challenge. Now that the Ottomans have been beaten down and I'm the most powerful country in the game, there's not much that can challenge me. Goal setting can help - I definitely want to get all 5 blessings, for example. I'm also thinking of picking a fight with a European power, just to see if I can take 'em ;)

you are not alone, the very big majority of AAR gets no end, and updates just stop...
Just to emphasise this point - I have started 6 or 7 AARs over the last 13 years or so, and I have completed ... 1. Which itself had some major hiatuses in the middle.

Nice AAR ! I am running for Prester john this is very helpful ! ><
I have a question where is your main tradepost , how you gain money in Etiopia game ( I always can't run positive of money while max maintainence of my army )

I have a question where is your main tradepost , how you gain money in Etiopia game ( I always can't run positive of money while max maintainence of my army )

If you have control of Gulf of aden and Venice/Ottomans isn't too powerful, Alexandria
If you colonise Mallaca and the Mollucas (or europeans do) Zanzibar

alexandria is a bad spot to collect as ethiopia. ottomans and venice and main genoa trade zon nation will suck a big part of the ducats out of your collect trade node.

you should go for 100% control in zanzibar, and collect there.

Chapter 15: The Anatolian War
31160936505_22422cbcf0_b.jpg

The time had come to strike at our old enemy yet again. Negusa Nagast Susenyos intended to personally lead his troops all the way to Yerevan, in Georgia, and retake it for Christianity, but first he would have to secure a route through Ottoman territory.

While the Ottomans were not the threat they once were, the circumstances of this war were somewhat different from our previous conflicts. Our Polish allies were unwilling to tackle the Turks so soon after the Serbo-Ottoman war. Without the Commonwealth threatening their northern flank, the Ottomans were free to concentrate all their attention on our northern border. In addition, we would not only be fighting the Ottomans and Tunis, but Hejaz too.

31160934075_0f4e1caa92_b.jpg

31160932645_f980d71ee0_b.jpg

Despite these changes, however, our overall strategy remained roughly the same - use our forts to hold back the enemy, while our armies attacked their allies and knock them out of the war. With that in mind, our troops marched on Tunis and Hejaz.

31160929315_aee7770143_b.jpg

There was one potential flaw in this plan. Instead of attacking our northern border, the Ottomans could move their forces to aid Hejaz and directly engage our forces there. With a third of our troops attacking Tunis, the combined forces of the Turks and Hejaz could potentially have driven us back, or at least inflicted heavy casualties. Thankfully, however, the arrogant Turks instead chose to demand that the Hejaz army join in their attack on Damascus and Aleppo. This allowed us to overrun Hejaz's border defences and march on the capital.

31046736661_fb0c28e952_b.jpg

Hejaz was knocked out of the war, taking a significant army with them. Our own casualties remained light, but we would now have to march into the teeth of the enemy army. In previous wars we had been able to time our attacks so that we only ever had to deal with a fraction of the Ottoman army at any one time, relying on their need to defend their northern border to divide their forces. This would not be the case this time. In preparation, the emperor passed a number of acts focused on improving the morale and equipment of our troops (I activated a number of military policies). Battle would soon be joined.

30339822684_9d8151ed57_b.jpg

Meanwhile, on the western front, our advance went well. The fall of the capital forced the Tunisian fleet into the guns of our waiting ships. Spain had landed troops in the east to help press our advantage and the Tunisians had given up any attempt to engage us directly. Some of the emperor's councillors advised patience - why not wait until the invasion of Tunis was completed, then redeploy the troops there before engaging the Ottomans? But as he gathered his forces in Damascus, word reached Susenyos that the garrison in Aleppo was on the verge of surrender. It was time to destroy the Turks.

31125039886_0f815858d5_b.jpg

The Relief of Aleppo was easily the most shocking defeat in Ottoman history. Caught by surprise, General Piri found himself trapped between the walls of Aleppo and an army twice the size of his own. Rather than throwing away the lives of his men, he surrendered. The Turks had lost half of their army in a single engagement.

31125038396_0cfac740cf_b.jpg

The Ottomans were left scrambling to form any kind of coherent defence. Our forces spilled across the border. Over twelve thousand infantry, without cavalry or artillery support, were captured in Erzincan, throwing the Ottoman defence plans into further disarray. General Salih Alemdar tried to muster another army in Erzurum, but after a short skirmish his 30,000 troops threw down their arms.

31125028716_12710f38db_b.jpg

The last Tunisian holding fell to our forces. Having little interest in the region, the emperor decided to take only a small amount of territory for Ethiopia. Instead he chose to reward our Spanish allies for their assistance. Unlike the Poles, they had not directly benefited much from our long friendship, but now they were granted a huge swathe of Tunisian territory. The emperor hoped that this would both strengthen our ally and cripple Tunis, allowing us to more quickly overwhelm them in any future conflicts.

31125024686_500a316c19_b.jpg

The Ottomans had finally rallied enough to actually face our forces in battle, but were unable to do more than slow down our progress. The arrival of Spanish troops in Greece sealed their fate.

31160869205_432bd4f3c3_b.jpg

With the fall of the capital, the Ottoman's were in no position to stop us from seizing territory from them. A ceasefire was arranged and the emperor ordered our troops to pull back to a defensible position - one that became the de facto new border.

31160867745_a636294a3c_b.jpg

A number of cities and towns along the southern Anatolian coast had been seized, but for the most part our expansion had been focused on the territory between Aleppo and Georgia. We could now move to secure Yerevan.

30353541873_9532b0ba64_b.jpg

Our attack on the Georgians provoked the Ottomans into resuming hostilities. This time, however, the Poles were happy to come to our assistance. The Turkish army had not had enough time to recover from our attack and with enemies on two fronts, they didn't stand a chance.

31160866445_2efe01c052_b.jpg
[/url]
The Turkish army was soon defeated, losing engagements in Van and Mentese. As were were fighting them there, the Poles dispatched a force to besiege the capital, while the rest of their troops moved on into Greece.

31160862855_157b0711a1_b.jpg

Ankara fell, leaving all of Anatolia vulnerable to our forces. With the Ottomans effectively out of the war, our turned their attention back to Georgia, moving to occupy the south of the country.

31046695031_f2a17e8222_b.jpg

The Georgian and surviving Ottoman armies focused their efforts on the Commonwealth's southeastern border, hoping to knock them out of the war. But their efforts were in vain. The Poles didn't even bother dispatching an army to oppose them, instead continuing their attack on Greece. With Georgia on the verge of defeat, Hejaz decided to take advantage of the situation and launched their own invasion.

31160854205_0f98d6b02d_b.jpg

The Turks finally accepted defeat. We took a little more territory, forced them to grant the long-suffering Greeks their independence, and demanded the payment of war reparations. The Ottoman Empire was a shadow of its former strength. It was now no longer able to remotely threaten Ethiopia.

31017195272_575ed7a356_b.jpg

The Georgians surrendered their southern provinces, finally granting us control of holy Yerevan.

31017286342_6599015fb0_b.jpg

Consolidating our control over our new conquests took a few years. There were rebellions to put down and heathens to convert, but nothing we could not handle. New churches were built in Yerevan to celebrate its return to the Coptic fold. Our armed forces celebrated their victory with new uniforms - but also by implementing a new policy of giving battlefield commissions to promising soldiers (I took the first idea in the Defensive group).

31046751011_ffec6656b4_b.jpg

When Negusa Nagast Susenyos had taken the throne, little had been expected of him, yet he had secured the throne of Alodia, crippled the Ottoman Empire and secured Yerevan for Ethiopia. He had also arranged for the governance of Medri Bahri to move to the capital upon his death. The empire was in a seemingly unassailable position - but the European powers continued to jealously eye our colonial holdings. We would soon be tested by the other Great Powers of Christendom.

Oh very nicely done. The Turks are humbled and prostrate. The faith rises to new heights.

31125039886_0f815858d5_b.jpg

The Relief of Aleppo was easily the most shocking defeat in Ottoman history.
Well look at that, the Ottomans really disappointed me there ;).

31160869205_432bd4f3c3_b.jpg

With the fall of the capital, the Ottoman's were in no position to stop us from seizing territory from them. A ceasefire was arranged and the emperor ordered our troops to pull back to a defensible position - one that became the de facto new border.
Look at that beautiful blue, covering almost all of the Ottoman territory. Is there anything better than this?

31160866445_2efe01c052_b.jpg
[/url]
The Turkish army was soon defeated, losing engagements in Van and Mentese. As were were fighting them there, the Poles dispatched a force to besiege the capital, while the rest of their troops moved on into Greece.
Ha, they thought they were done with you and then they accept to join another hopeless war. Not very clever of you, Ottomans. Great chapter, spread the Coptic faith!

Hmm, I don't think I ever really found it all that much of a problem. Don't be afraid to have negative money while at war in the early campaign, if you have to take a few loans, so be it (better that than losing). I rarely had anywhere near my force limit, though that's probably not playing optimally.

I took Trade as my fourth idea group and that pretty much solved any financial difficulties I had. One I got Economic as well I was making serious profits.

Reactions: