analyzing debris completely halting all your research is awful

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rexlex

Corporal
Aug 16, 2016
The game mechanics with special projects completely halting your research are a complete big giant respectfully disagree!

I play on insane and I do it with 9 scientists to be able to keep up in tech level. So I have 6 science ships and have to look out that they do special projects like debris all at the same time (2.2.4) otherwise my engeneering tech would literally never continue and would be halted forever. Forver through the whole game. Reading the changelog of 2.2.5 not being able to research multiple special projects at the same time makes things probably even worse.
In my huble opinion it's enough special project keep one scientist occupied not two (the one in the ship plus the one leading the research). Anyways when you have +200 engineering income and all your research is frozen for +5 from debris, it means that you cannot analyze debris at all. Which sucks because it is meant to be analyzed and you have to do it to get weapons tech.

So dear devs I would recommend you to make your game a better game, for special project to either slow research down I a way that makes sense (e.g. depending on your research income) or to get rid of the whole halting for good.

The way the game works now you get close to no civilian engenieering technologies a hundred years in the game when you research debris a lot. Also many special projects are left aside on purpouse because it rarely comes in handy to completely halt your research.

Reactions:
I don't like that two scientist are tied up as well. Doesn't make sense. Leaders are very valuable (in influence and slots).

Either have the Ground scientist do the work (and bank their research while halted) and allow the Ship Scientist to continue it's mission or let the Ship scientist handle it totally and not interrupt the Ground Scientist.

Reactions:
Whole banking of research was supposedly done for this special projects case and now they changed it. Basically it kills debris research unless you know for sure you will got good techs from it wasting 3 months of research time in the process.

Reactions:
Don't research it then. This aspect is broken now so why bother. It was never worth it, only once to get special research types from monsters. But never with other empire debris

Reactions:
I'd actually like to see less debris.

Debris is nice and all in the early stages of the game when every bit of research counts and you're not having to look after a galactic empire.

By late game however, all that debris is just clogging up your Situation Log. And then every worthwhile event requires you to scroll through a myriad of pointless debris options on the Sit Log (= much gnashing of teeth)

Two solutions:
  1. Lessen the amount of debris turning up (i.e. game should only show debris that gives you new tech or substantial research)
  2. Increase research points given by debris - because even IF it doesn't take up two scientists' time, it's still a patience-testing clickfest. So it needs to be very worthwhile

Reactions:
If you have 6 science ships you may wait few game months or years until you gather enough debris or special project sites to investigate requiring research from the same type (i.e. physics, society or engineering), send your science ships there and start researching them simultaneously. This way, you won't need to halt your research six times for six months each time to investigate six debris sites but it will only take just 180 days and you will have investigate them all.
Tip: There is no real need to investigate debris of a battle with a technologically inferior opponent if your research is a priority.

Reactions:
Yeah. Science ship projects should not affect research really.

Reactions:

If I could agree to this 100 times it still wouldn't be enough!
I've flat out stopped analyzing debris unless its a fallen empire or something else similar and bad ass and that just feels wrong.

Nice.
I will repeat something I wrote earlier that would help even further:

The problem is not the beginning of the game, with a couple of debris here and there, but with time there will be a lot of this cluttering up everything.

Solution:
Use the situation log. The debris projects are already listed there. All we need is a description in each debris post about what caused it, like "Green Crystals", "4 Corvettes, 1 Battleship from 2nd Mycellium Carrier fleet", etc.

We also would need a button to simply dismiss and erase a debris project from both the log and map, removing it conpletely. Then we could always quickly access the log, and erase any debris project that we deemed unneccesary.

The result:
All debris left is something that we want to investigate, left to the discretion of the player. Everybody is happy.

Reactions:
If I could agree to this 100 times it still wouldn't be enough!
I've flat out stopped analyzing debris unless its a fallen empire or something else similar and bad ass and that just feels wrong.

I try not to, but I just can't bring myself not to. It hurts to just leave those resources there to despawn, even if the opportunity cost of harvesting them is way more than they're worth... :(

Reactions:
This, please senpai.
Science ships already have their own scientists. Mercedes Romero didn't go out researching that debris and risk getting shot at, only so armchair scientists back at Blorg Prime could take the credit while goofing off at their primary job.

Reactions:
I still do the early debris projects against pirates, mining droids and such, because you can usually get 10% on the mining laser and armour techs off them, which is useful if you haven't gotten any decent weapon/armour techs from the rngods.

I think any delivery of cookies would have to be arranged through our office manager. If you're serious I can ask her tomorrow.