Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise expansion– Developer diary 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I tried to ask this but my question got buried: will there be a physical copy available?

PI don't do physical copies anymore.

Any Chance we could get a randomized "old world" down the road with the tech you're introducing in "conquest of paradise"? or would that be reinventing the wheel in terms of coding?

I think it be really enjoyable to mix up the old world as well as the new.

How random is random?
Is the number of provinces set? do they fall within a defined range of #?
Will there sometimes be a North-West passage, sometimes a "passage of Panama", sometimes no passage South-West passage?
Will the number of coastal vs inland provinces be tied into a possible ratio-range?
How will trade flows be handled?

How will you deal with the country select screen? Will you have (pressumably toggleable) TI on it? Even if you make the randomisation only take place after starting the game up there's still the save game country select screen which could "spoil" the NW layout.
This is my main concern as well. Awesome expansion nonetheless! :)

It's still early, but can we get an estimated price range for the expansion?
And if possible, a small discount for owners of EU4 would be nice :)

You can't buy it unless you have EU4 - so every purchaser of the DLC will be an owner of EU4! :) You mean people who owned EU4 before the DLC was announced?

There's more to the Americas than the Incans and Aztecs. The Iroquois remained independent until after the American revolution, as did many of the other groups in North America - and we're not taking groups in wasteand here.

Also, recheck those numbers. Nine millions is significantly more than 10% of 30 millions.

Most notably, Indians in Patagonia held out until the 1870s and would repeatedly massacre Spanish campaigns which attempted to subdue them. It took until an industrialised, genocidal war by the Argentines to finally conquer them.

Will diseases be represented in any way? Besides making the colonisation process more accurate it could also be used to make Central Africa playable while still keeping the Europeans away.
Speaking of which, will there be any improvements to Africa?

Good job Paradox, seems really interesting!

I'm not going to waste any time arguing with you about what medical science has long concluded. If you can imagine a history in which you triumph over your enemies while 90% of your population is dying of disease, then you have a better imagination than me.
In this alternative history setting where even landmasses are being shaped and sized differently, would it be such a stretch to imagine that this New World might have a larger variety of domesticates, leading this Columbian Exchange of communicable diseases to be less lopsided?

First SoA and then this! You are really making some awesome expansions, Paradox :). Medieval Europe/the Middle East and Native Americans are my two biggest historical interests, so this is all good news to me :p.

Quick question: Will the new native tribes will all be in their correct locations, and will all be real, in the original map?

Sounds really excellent guys, well done and I can't wait!

I'm particularly interested to see what comes under "improved colonial warfare." Right now I, amongst quite a few other people, have been a bit frustrated with colonial warfare in EU4, because of the usual issues with OExt and Coring time. We are actively encouraged to wage colonial war (automatic CB, low WS cost per colony), but as soon as those colonies are cored by their original owners, we get massive OExt and massive Admin point cost + coring time wait. So ultimately colonial wars can feel not much different to central Europe wars - fighting lots to take just a small number of provinces each time, then waiting up to a decade before OExt is down.

So I am crossing my fingers that this will be addressed and restrictions for colonial conquest relaxed in the expansion.

Actually one issue sounds like it might definitely be fixed - a big problem with current colonial wars is that, once you take those huge OExt provinces, there's no vassals to feed them to. For example, if England takes Caribbean provinces from Portugal, which has cored them, it can't then release any of them as vassals, and there's no existing vassal nations nearby to feed them. But if the new expansion is going to have all colonies in effect be vassals, then of course this is mitigated (as long as we can sell to them as we do normal vassals.)

But I do still hope that OExt/Coring times are worked on for colonies. It would be awesome if colonial wars felt quite different and less limited than mainland-Europe wars: and that would be a great compromise in the current "Direct conquest vs Vassal Feeding" debate: central Europe conquest is very slow, lots of AE, Oext, coring times, but New World is free and more wild. That would work!

Will you be boosting the base Diplomatic Relations to handle all the new colonial vassals we'll now have? We won't be able to survive with just the base of 4! :) (Or maybe colonies will be a special kind of vassal that don't need DipRelations? In which case, please do still allow them to buy provinces like a normal vassal! :) )

Thanks again guys, really excited.

I can't give away everything yet, but I can tell you that you'll be happy with the design when we present how the colonies work.

I won't embrace a randomized map, but welcome new native tribes.