• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haestein of Nantes is easy at first. Then you die, your kingdom is split in to six parts and Western France and/or a 7,000 stack of rebels declare that they want to restore Brittany to Breton rule or incorporate it as part of France.

Provided, of course, that you waste that invasion cb on Brittany. You have a ton of prestige, a large event-based army giving you a shot anywhere, and there's no real need to be contiguous. Even for RP purposes, he was an ally of the king of Brittany historically and raided all the way into the mediterranean.

In my first couple tries as him I invaded Brittany. In my current one I used it on the Idrisids. Rustamids are probably an easier target overall, though - that Umayyad border and their penchant for holy wars have given me some close calls.

Provided, of course, that you waste that invasion cb on Brittany. You have a ton of prestige, a large event-based army giving you a shot anywhere, and there's no real need to be contiguous. Even for RP purposes, he was an ally of the king of Brittany historically and raided all the way into the mediterranean.

In my first couple tries as him I invaded Brittany. In my current one I used it on the Idrisids. Rustamids are probably an easier target overall, though - that Umayyad border and their penchant for holy wars have given me some close calls.

Oh, I agree. You could use that prepared invasion CB pretty much anywhere which is part of what makes him fun. But he has no stable home, which is part of what makes him challenging. No territory he holds will be his culture or religion for quite some time and the liberating rebel armies tend to pop up at the most inopportune times, all of which makes him fun. If there's anything that kills the fun of CKII it's things being too repetitive or too easy.

Sorry if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it. In the first post it mentions El Cid in 1094. However I don't have a 1094 bookmark. Was it in the game before but has been since removed?

Sorry if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it. In the first post it mentions El Cid in 1094. However I don't have a 1094 bookmark. Was it in the game before but has been since removed?
Look at the years at the top of the selection screen. The arrows move the years.

One thing I enjoyed was playing as someone from the TOG start, then using the console to switch over to Seljuk when he invades. Fighting off my massive reformed Norse Scandinavian Empire is one of the hardest things I've ever done in CKII, and one of the most fun too. Europe became a very bloody, religious, warzone.

TOG start.

Welsh Duke furthes to the north.

And 6 kids and 1 bastard... and 0 prestige and 0 piety the the start.

But who knows maybe you will be able to make him the great?

Oh. Nope. He already have 'the great' nickname..

Maybe you could sire some more kids and place them on the various thrones.

Oh. Nope. He already have 'chaste' trait, ach wife with -10% to fertility...

Seriously that man is Paradox Inc.

I love playing as the little Capet Count in TOG. Before anything else, I marry my way up to duke of 8 duchies by 2nd generation. Meanwhile, the Karlings united under one flag, that of Emperor Louis of Francia; he alone held all kingships known to the Catholic world, and thus, revived the Frankish Empire. Obviously, in order to bring the Capet, descendant of Robertians, to rise, the initial Karlings need to die. So I plot to kill all of them, one by one. It took my 2nd ruler's last years, which was also spent to consolidate my duchies - at this time, I also acquired Burgundy (marriage) and Brittany (conquest), making me a n Arch duke with lands stretching from Brittany to France and Burgundy.

When they all die, I plot to acquire K_of_France with my 3rd ruler; and the Capets promptly ascended to Kings. With my 4th ruler, I plot to acquire K_of_Burgundy and also inherited the title K_of_Bulgaria with one county. I am going to claim all dejure land of Bulgaria and properly try to restore the "Bulgaria Empire". In the meanwhile, i am waiting for my truce with the Emperor to dry up to declare my war for Acquitaine, thus, further consolidating Capetian rule over France. With the policy of "Conquest through marriage", I also put my kinsmen on the throne of Navarra and Aragon (Basque culture) and the throne of Croatia.

The Caliphate of Cordoba has invaded Mali while consolidating their Andalus possessions, changing culture to Andalusian. They may form Hispania if things go as is. The ERE has expanded into the steppe and pushed the Conquerors of Turkestan back to East Cumania. The Abbasids are strong, as well as the three rival kingdoms of Scandanavia. This is, I must say, a very fun game so far.

I strongly recommend playing as the Little Capet Count (not the old one, there are two in TOG) with Habsburg's policy in mind.

I am a direct blood descendent to William the Conquer. My Great X 32 Grandfather.

So I love playing him.

Haestein of Nantes is easy at first. Then you die, your kingdom is split in to six parts and Western France and/or a 7,000 stack of rebels declare that they want to restore Brittany to Breton rule or incorporate it as part of France.

Just do what any sane viking did:
- Wait for Francia/Acquitaine to be in some war (doesn't take them long usually).
- Use invasion CB on britanny and cap each and every one of the counties.
- Convert to Norman soon as Nantes norman switch occurs.
- Convert to catholicism.
- Swear featly to Francia.
- Ditch your old wife and marry into a good house in Francia.
- Protect Francia from viking raiders
- Win glory and fortune in the holy wars and crusades later on :)

My last run as Haestein ended (well, not exactly ended, more like started, but ok) with him converting to Islam, because I got bored with endless doomstacks from east and west. So I switched religion and now own Algeiers and large portion of Italy. Roleplay explanation was something like old gods are gods of the North, here we swear fealty to local ones. It's a shame you can't raid as a Muslim, since North African pirates were a big deal in Middeterranian well into 19th century. Yet it feels cool to combine two sea raiding traditions and play as North African based viking raider.

I'll do an update of this tonight. I can't promise I'll get through everyone's entries, but I will try to get at least a few TOG ones on the front page.

I tried Haesteinn, and had to reload numerous times to survive the first few years. After raiding to earn enough prestige for an invasion, I called mine on the Rustamids. I had tried France and Tuscany, both of which I could take on my own. However, half of Europe always got involved so I went for the Rustamids. I picked them because of their advantageous Mediterranean position, potential for expansion, and lack of allies. They were Ibadi, surrounded by Sunnis so I knew they wouldn't get any help. I easily defeated them, and without much work, have the second or third largest army in the world.

My only problem is the Norse religion. It is a blessing and a curse, because of that stupid Gavelkind succession that I hate so much. I have to reform, but I am nowhere near my holy sites so I've had to resort to murdering my sons.

Personally I'd just adopt Islam (whether Sunni or Shi'a would be more beneficial depends on the game situation), but that is just me.

Haesteinn is a really fun start and I constructed a challenge run around him (do we have a thread for challenge runs? We should if we don't) that I've yet to complete. Early game is something of a crapshoot though.

Has the list been updated at all? I constantly see new posts on characters to play, and the author saying he will update. But it doesnt seem that it is updated? For example I cant see any Pagans, beside Erik the Heathen...
It is a great idea though, this thread, I just wondered if I look the wrong place or something?