• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I did read over your posts. You keep saying I should; I read it before I replied the first time. It's an excellent collection of tips/tricks. I'm just not convinced it would be enough. 40 years is a really short time-window.

If you really want my detailed take on it...
Marriage - pretty much the right advice.
Education - I disagree with your advice about not educating your heirs yourself. The AI makes so many stupid choice about what traits to give wards. You also seem to disagree with your advice, so I'm not sure why it's still in there. The #1 priority in education, to my mind, is always educating two people yourself. Heirs and spares get all the good rulership traits. Third sons you might choose to give things like Content, Slothful, Gluttonous... anything to make them less attractive choices for a succession crisis. Or, if your heir is good enough you're confident in the succession anyways, you could give the third son traits tailored towards hopefully filling a role on your council, or just generally good stewardship traits to make them a vassal.
Administration - I never knew you can create vassals by right-clicking holdings. Probably won't be using it (I'd rather invite nobles and look at their stats first), but glad to learn something new. Otherwise, your advice is perfect... if headache-inducing (lots of clicking, lots of micromanagement).
Assassination - Marrying courtiers just to get an assassin in is brilliant. And I'd never even considered it. I will definitely be using this. Otherwise, all good advice.
Pope - I note you don't mention banking invasion CBs. This is one of my preferred tricks for fast early expansion if I can do it - get 1k piety or more, queue up 2-3 invasion CBs while small, then knock them all off in order. If your ruler dies or the target ruler dies before you can finish that invasion CB it's wasted of course... but it can let you get invasions on multiple realms all only slightly larger than you.
Making Gold - Banishment can be an option at times as well - it's a hefty penalty to relations, so it's not something I would do until and unless I was ready to banish all my Count+ vassals. Then you invite new people to your court and hand out all those titles to new rulers. Late-game, I wouldn't do it - you'd have to banish a lot of claimants you were interested in too, and it would be a mess. But early-game... if you get a high starting intrigue, good starting spymaster, and good starting martial, you can imprison-banish your way through a duchy or two fairly readily.
CBs - again, I'm not convinced Holy War would be the best for a record attempt. You get a bunch of land, but you also get long delays before that land starts contributing tax and manpower; you also don't get new (wealthy) vassals you can imprison and ransom or banish. It's certainly a nice CB and has it's uses, but it's not always the best.
Demesne - "Late game, your capital's importance lies in its"... what? Otherwise, all agreed.
Technology - Legalism matters early. Military Organization matters late. If you're trying for a fast WC, nothing else matters at all. Move capital as necessary. Basically more emphasis on what you were already leaning towards.
Vassals - Agreed.
Building Army - you don't discuss which mercenaries to use. They are not all created equal; in fact, there can be significant differences in their strength from band to band. The Swiss Band is hands-down my favorite 9 games out of 10 - just 75 gold to raise, and they're a very strong unit mix. Also, the holy order upkeep exploit was patched a while ago. If you're in an offensive religious war, you pay holy order upkeep. Period. Doesn't matter if you're also in a defensive one.

Retinues - there's been a lot of talk on this forum about how to fill and use your retinue. You might want to browse some of those threads if you can find them; your advice unfortunately just isn't that reliable. Archers/light infantry cost 1 maintenance and eat 1 retinue cap; heavy infantry / pikes / light cavalry / horse archers are 2 maintenance and 2 retinue cap; heavy cavalry are 4 maintenance and 4 supply cap. What sort of retinue you want will vary depending on whether you're using them primarily to assault holdings or to fight other armies - if the former, you mostly care about their skirmish stats; if the latter, melee stats can also be important. The retinue subunits you describe... I can't match up with any actual ones that exist in the game.

Logistics - this is good advice. I've been mentally wondering if sometimes you might actually raise levies close to the front faster by handing out new county titles to large vassals far to your rear (e.g., make someone King of Norway, then hand them out one county in Sicily if your fighting is all against Africa). I don't know if this would work; haven't gotten around to trying it.

Attrition - your advice is good; you can be more specific about how the supply limit will change if you want to take the trouble to do some math, but I never bother to. 100 heavy cavalry, 400 LC does not really have the strength of 1200 men. They consume the retinue cap of 1200, but that's a very different thing than actually having the "strength" of 1200. Generally speaking, heavy cavalry are kings for efficient use of supply for the purpose of winning battles; horse archers are best for efficient use of supply for assaulting castle purposes. If you're Greek, just spam Cataphract retinues.

Conquering - cutting the connection between belligerents is a rather clever idea I hadn't considered. As has been discussed, 1.092 made truce-breaking a little harsher. Good tricks otherwise.

Conquering by inheritance - Agreed, strong options.

Combat - auto-balance is rarely the best choice. In particular - if you have one general who is significantly better than the alternatives, you should just group every unit under that one general and leave the other two flanks empty. The extra 30% flanking damage is almost entirely offset by the fact that you'll rout the middle flank much earlier in the fight. Also, you should never mix your retinue in with mercenaries and levies if it's strong enough to hold a flank by itself - it's biggest strength is that it is very specialized so combat tactics give it a huge boost, and you waste that if you mix them in with other units. Selecting the right general and terrain is a big topic, but there's a lot more to it than you discuss here. There's some good threads on the forum regarding this. I generally find myself now able to take on armies somewhat larger than I used to, and I'm much more accurate in judging how strong my army really is without just looking at the total number of troops.
Regarding assaults, the first rule of thumb: Be much more eager to assault castles and bishoprics than cities. Cities tend to have very strong skirmish-stage units, which means they're actually harder to take (at equal size garrisons). Pair that with the fact that they lose morale much faster to regular sieges, and it's pretty clear - castles need to die, cities you can often wait out. Second rule of thumb: at least an 8-to-1 numerical edge. They do 15x damage and take 0.6x damage, so if you outnumber them 5-to-1 you expect a draw (could go either way). If you get up to an 8-to-1 edge, you can pretty much count on winning, but may take serious casualties (not always a bad thing, if using mercenaries). 15-to-1 or better is nice if you can get it. If you can't manage 8-to-1, instead split your army 5 or 6 ways instead and simultaneously siege out a half-dozen counties.
Sieges tend not to be worth the gold cost of levies + mercenaries - they earn a little, but not enough most of the time. So I generally am happy to take peace. The exception is when using something like an Invasion CB - if you control a non de-jure holding in the title you're going for, you'll get it thrown in (e.g., suppose England owns Apulia, and you launch an invasion of England. If you accept a peace while Apulia is still under their control, you won't get it. But if you siege out each county in Apulia before accepting peace, Apulia gets thrown in).
Holding distribution - Good advice.

Laws - the other thing to note about Cognatic succession is that if you can manage to breed Attractive into your line, Attractive female rulers will get +30 relations with all their male vassals. This can be... quite significant. CA is complicated. Low is a must; Medium is almost a must (free infidel revocation has so many uses). If you're going to high, you should go all the way to Absolute; in this case, you're relying on the 75% minimum levy set by CA - it often leads to larger levies, but can also cause more fractious vassals due to the opinion penalty. Theocratic Dukes/Kings can help get around this drawback.
Tanistry is my personal choice for strongest succession law, but you have to be a Celtic culture to select it. Otherwise... Seniority has real benefits, as does Elective or Primo. I would have no confidence in picking any of those three as best for a WC game.

Titles - remember that just because you switch titles doesn't make the other title's laws not exist. If you have a High CA title and an Autonomous Vassals title, your High CA de jure vassals are going to be pissed at you even if your primary title is the Autonomous Vassals one.

Council - be sure to have the Marshal suppressing revolts in your capital, and "invite" your potential prison victims to a spot on your council long enough to make them show up in your capital before you imprison them. Early game, best place for a Chancellor is Rome. Mid-game and late-game... hopefully you vassalized the Pope so all those Catholic bishops are paying taxes indirectly to you.

Piety - another point. If for some reason you find yourself at least 10 above your demesne limit, you can buy an indulgence from the Pope for 25 gold. That gives you 25 piety, and +10 relations with the Pope for a few years (that +10 relations can stack, by the way). If you are at or below demesne limit, the scaled wealth cost means it isn't generally worth it. Incidentally, any time you find yourself 10 over demesne limit is also a good time to consider spamming the intrigue invitation decisions to fill up your court with high-trait people for marriages, education, and council positions.

Heretics - You shouldn't get the gold of a heretic within your realm from declaring war. You need to actually imprison + banish them to get their gold. Which can be a painful tyranny penalty sometimes; at least the imprison is no tyranny penalty if they're heretic.

Factions - I had never considered a never-ending 1-Count independence war. That's... somewhat hilarious.

Overall - a good set of tools to have available. Many of them are too much management, or just too cheap, so I tend to avoid them... but it's good to know them. I just don't think, starting as a 1-duchy Duke, you could get a 40-year WC this way. Maybe if you reloaded saves heavily to make sure you got good assassination events and your ruler died at a convenient time. But I'm willing to be proved wrong, if you're convinced otherwise and want to give it a shot.

No offence meant, I apologize.
I was just trying to emphasize the strength of Heir Snatching.. You can get most of the Europe without even a single War but just waiting for old rulers to die.. I discovered this after I had ~1400 holdings, but I managed to snatch nearly every Christian ruler out there and conquered the rest of the Europe without wars.. (Except a few small baronies-counties)

Anyway, comments on your comments are as follows:
Education: I changed my idea 3 times there. First, I went for stats and let others educate them. Then I went for traits and educated them myself. At the end, I went for both.. I realized I could educate the child 5 years myself and 5 years with a high stat Guardian. Most of the traits popped in the first 5 years for me. (Heck, as I played only 80 years and raised kids for ~40 years of that, I didn't have much time to verify how frequent is the trait events, but my last ones were fast).

Pope: Well, as I wrote in the story part, I learned about Invasion CB when I had 400+ holdings, so could never use it. So I could never improvise tactics about it :} But I am guessing I could beat HRE with 200 holdings and it would be a nice jump from 200 to 400.. (Guess it could be done even with 50 holdings and 5k gold, right at the start.. Where to find so much gold so early.. Erm, that's up there :} )

Making Gold: Well, you never banish Vassals. You banish just Courtiers. Courtiers have no banish penalty.. And you can find non-ruler people out there, who have even 500-600g. You can snatch them, imprison them for a legal reason and banish them. Nobody would care.

CBs: After the Holy War, you can grant those lands to simple Courtiers with some gold, making wealthy Vassals. Well, delay after conquest is too long imo, but I didn't care about those lands anyway. Their contribution was mostly to Power and Retinue.

Demesne - Damn typo.. Sorry.. Correction: "Late game, your capital's importance lies in its location and tech levels, nothing else". (Which are detailed above already :} Damned.. I wrote the guide in 20 days, from time to time.. Seems there're some repetitions left among the lines)

Building Army: Well, I calculate the Mercenary strength as per the numbers given in Retinue calculation. (1 Archer, 2 Infantry, 2 LC, 4 HC etc). So a 5k Turkoman Mercenary is worth 10k actually. I keep those in mind while calculating strengths.
The Holy Order is patched? Darn.. Just as I say? They join me while I am defending and I won't ever end that defensive war, but keep them with me indefinitely? (You said "you pay for offensive war", which isn't the case I thought :}..)

Retinue: Well, what I considered to be important in the retinues was the Attrition Limits. Nothing else.. Thus I used all Cavalries, which use large supply/maintenance, but also more powerful.
I've tested this a bit, but correct me if I'm wrong. I can beat a regular 10k army with a 10k Cavalry army without much loss. But if I used a regular army against it, I'd lose maybe 20-30% or more.. So high supply/maintenance doesn't matter for fighting that much. Correct?

Logistics - That works pretty well. I had 6 kings and all of them had lands in Middle-East, Anatolia etc. so I could raise their armies there very fast. No running around :}

Combat - For Auto Balance I said "This is easiest and mostly efficient.", which is correct I guess :} But I nearly never used it. About other options, well I'm yet to read the posts, but I managed pretty good against enemy armies. What is important is really getting somewhere earlier than the enemy and letting him get the penalties. I've even used that for some situations, where I just left 100 soldiers as a bait for a 10k enemy army on a mountain/river pass and on the day the enemy arrived, I raised that County's King's 10k levy on that land, which got all the same defensive bonuses. Just don't forget to assign commanders to the 100 army. They will command the larger army as well..

As for sieging the cities, I opt for the siege gold and re-sieging those lands again. So my choice is cities.. I also guess I gave approximate outnumbering numbers as 6-8, 10+ etc. Lemme check.

Also "Sieges don't give so much gold" is not what I've observed. I've made ~4-5k gold / year just from sieges.. But yes, that's using the "Break Truce", which seems to be fixed now..
Otherwise, you really get huge amounts of gold from siege.. Believe me.. (Works as above.. I had retinues on ships near Constantinopolis, Adrianapolis etc. and I declare war, assault the already depleted cities, get ~150-200gold in a few days, Byzantium surrenders. I start another war for a far away barony and immediately siege Constantinopolis & Adrianapolis again, getting 150-200g again.. This works best when they have a few baronies on my lands, where I can just raise a levy in 0 days.. Seljuks had 5 of them on my lands and I could get ~80 siege gold in 1 day just for sieging those..)

Laws: Well, I want Cognative just to be able to use Female Heirs and snatch them, capture their lands freely too. But I won't have to use that Succession all the way. It's just that, I have to own that title as a secondary. So I can use King of France as my primary, but when I snatch a female heir, I can switch to Navara, grant a Duchy to that female heir and switch back to France. That is very useful imo.

Titles: Well, what I've noticed is, when I change the Primary Empire title, my Levy Sizes changed, so the Laws of Primary Title should be effective on all my subjects. It surely is effective on its de-jure Vassals, but think of this situation: I have Kingdom of X, which has 2 de-jure Duchies, which I keep with Absolute etc. Laws.. When I want to raise the Levies, I make that as my Primary, raise the Levies and switch back to my Medium-Low title.. I'd only need to keep 2 Dukes content and 100% levies.. This is really good. Also, I guess Empires doesn't have de-jure Vassals.. So I can use them as I wish.. (To be more correct, I had Byzantium and HRE and all my Vassals showed under HRE and none under Byzantium. I'd switch to Byzantium at times to use its laws. None was pissed, because it had no Vassals :})

Council: Well, I am comfortable with the idea of sieging a few of my Counties :} Siege gold is gold anyway.. But didn't know that if I used a Duke on my Council, he couldn't revolt when I tried to imprison him.. Nice advice.. As for the Pope, I don't know him :p (Conquered his lands at some point and didn't think of Vassalizing him.. Though he hated me.. I am still thinking of a way to steal his 6k gold.. and of Ḥashshashins :} )

Heretics - Well, what I needed to verify there (but forgot to) was if I got the gold of a Ruler that I put out of business.. Otherwise, I snatch them as Courtiers and imprison/banish them to get their golds..

Overall - Just consider this.. I'll invite a few hundred courtiers in the beginning and use the bachelor females to invite a few hundred others (by snatching). I'll then usurp the gold of the Courtiers who try to plot and use that gold as a springboard. I need to get a few Duchies, that's all. For all Duchies I get, I can get another free one using the "Snatching Heirs" method. I also sometimes revoked Duchies and re-granted them to other Duke heirs, so I don't think I'll have much trouble there too..

I'd have to try, but as I managed to get from 500 to 2829 holdings in a mere 30 years.. If I could somehow start invasion of HRE with a sufficient number of mercenaries in the first 10 years, it'd be doable...
Only problem is in that "%50 prestige penalty"!.. :}

Last edited:
Never thought of the marriage snatching/plotting. I generally like taxing mayors for lots of gold (they can't do anything) and building income improvements (pay off relatively quickly with decent stewardship) but for 40 years as a duchy... that would be hard.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure once the leader of independence faction revolts dies, the war ends.

Never thought of the marriage snatching/plotting. I generally like taxing mayors for lots of gold (they can't do anything) and building income improvements (pay off relatively quickly with decent stewardship) but for 40 years as a duchy... that would be hard.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure once the leader of independence faction revolts dies, the war ends.

Well, he might possibly live for the most of 40 years, right? :}

Income improvements pay-off in ~50+ years I guess, so I can't do any of those..
40 years was really easy till they implemented that "50% prestige penalty for breaking truces"..
But it's still very much possible.. I am just afraid to undertake such a time-consuming job, because I'd have to play very detailed.. (i.e. I'd have to open all realm succession/war etc. messages, read lots of "what happened today" newspapers, keep track of who died, which heir changed, who rebelled, who got inherited gold, etc etc etc..)

Okay, since my power-gaming is limited but since I want to dominate a bit in a multiplayer game :p ...

As England, what would be the best county to repeat grant independence Holy War?

Going to have to agree here, savescumming makes the game a painting sim no matter how you cut it.

Savescumming is basically my sign I need to take a break. My last four games (Venice, England, England, and that rich duchy in Northern France with Brugges) have been clean. 100%.

The game is more fun without it, trying to fix those crazy moments (your genius highly pious muslim ruler of Britannia, Hispania, and Africa just died of syphilis; good luck as his 2 year old son... that son ended up becoming one of my favorite characters, Caliph Abbas I, conquering France, Lotharangia, Germany, Italy, Egypt, Greece, Arabia, Burgundy, and basically taking me from a major power on par with the empires or France to just roflstomping anything, which is generally when I get bored and quit)

Going to have to agree here, savescumming makes the game a painting sim no matter how you cut it.

Why do people get stuck at there? I didn't say as: "Save-Load on every assassination-imprisonment attempt" or "everytime a bad thing happens"..

Most of my loads were due to my overlooking a detail or forgetting to do things and to correct myself.

There were only a few moments where I really needed to load, such as the death of my King in a war in the beginning. (Which I could've prevented if I knew that Kings died in a battle... I wouldn't put him in the Center flank if I knew that..)
Or when France declared war against me. (Which I could also prevented by plotting/assassinating King of France and ending the conflict).

Don't bash me too much over that.. I could play the game without save-loading if I wasn't a total novice in the beginning.

Game is totally playable without any save-loading, but if you plan on a 40 year WC, you might have to restart a few times due to some irregularities..
But you might just get lucky and won't need it.. Or it should be possible after a few tries.

• You should be able to organize a sieging army. Sometimes an enemy approaches you when you are sieging and if your army doesn’t have commanders, it’s frustrating to click move, organize, cancel move and lose that 20 days of `making siege equipments’.
• You should be able to search traits. It’s really boring to search for Organizers among hundreds of man each time you try to select a commander for a hastily needed army. Or it’s time consuming to search for a “zealous” young mistress, who is also humble & kind (to marry a heir). Or trying to search for a genius trait bride candidate. We should at least be able to search for just one trait, or sort people per a specific trait.
• There should also be a “Search Courtiers” button at Find Characters window.
• There should be a much functional search for people. We should be able to search people based on any of their character data.

+1 to this suggestion.
Dear god it makes the game unfun trying to search for people.
We actually spend like an hour to a half hour at the start of the game just searching the people in the world to find good people.

And tweak the AI when it comes to matriliniear marriages so they don't accept betrothals only to refuse them when the time comes. I understand if some of their heirs die and I guess it also depends on opinion and prestige but if they don't want the matrilinear marraige then they should send a message to break the betrothal when the factors become present.
Matrilinear marriages are concoction of CKII anyway so make it not so Janky.

- add a stop to the flood of courtiers that flee to your court. Usually happens when some county gets invaded the occupants flee somewhere. When I'm a lowly count or duke doing my best to breed the best generation of advisors and I get a 10 coutiers pop and slam the birthrate down it kinda sucks. And then people start dying at court because these vagrants are plotting against my 0 intrigue, 21 stewardship 3rd son who is destined to be a bishop and master steward for his brother.
Just add an accept or refuse pop-up for newcomers to court. Maybe a prestige loss if you refuse based on the new courtiers prestige/rank.

And about the 'save scumming' or whatever:

When a pop up says 'Mr So-so died after a period of prolonged illness' it would be nice to know about this illness he had.... Especially when he's a bishop you haven't nominated a successor for.
...actually on that note it would be more logical to be able to nominate the successors for bishops when upon their death instead of just having a new one pop up.
And I've had errors when ever I load my game of the nominated successors disappearing from the nomination. Really annoying to appoint the successors. Load my game the next day, then my bishops die and my guys don't succeed.
Then I load and they don't die because its so random. Then the next day same thing happens!!!

My of my reloads happen because I forgot to do something or I didn't understand how something worked. I don't even bother with assassinations because of how much load/save time it takes. ...and I only get a bout 4-8 loads before the game crashes.

Last edited:
Too true. If we're unbound from any rules then I could control the whole world in a day. I just don't see the point.

Why do you people act like the only thing I've done so far was save-load winning the game?
A comment not in the least related with anything I posted here..

It's like people telling a mayor that he's unsuccessful because he's a liar, whereas a mayor's success is not about his words but about how well he governs the city..

It's just like saying "Hey, whatever you did, won't matter. You're not better than us, because you're a cheater! See, I don't save-load my games!"
As if I claimed that I was better than anyone..

Man, I shouldn't have put that sentence in the start..

Last edited:
savescumming is about as bad as simple editing savegames. a lot in this game is determined by the RNG god. if you savescum your way to genius heirs, good tactics, to avoid bad traits ect. you might as well edit the savegame or use the console to make everything optimal, load up as other characters and surrender ect. this is no conquest, this is a cheat.

also, im fairly sure 40 years is impossible, even with savescumming. there are only so much armies you can raise, wars that can be waged and declared and claims that can be generated. the main problem here is that while infidels go down quickly, same religion rulers dont give free CB's and you simply need to wait before claims can be fabricated. 40 years for that is simply too little time. grabbing the infidels MIGHT be doable in time to give you enough critical mass, but even heretics need to assualt holdings. against realms the size of ERE and HRE, thats simply barely doable. marching times included each war can take half a year, and there are more fronts to fight on.

EDIT: im fairly sure you went with either a astounding amount of savescumming here to fix problems or you werent a novice. for a expert, its hard enoguh already to conquer the world within a hundred years. for a novice downright impossible. the simple act of understanding the mechanics takes a try or two, and if you exploit these to the point needed to WC in this time, you are no longer a novice.

I'm sure it's easy. Conquering the world in this game is extremely easy, I usually gimp myself because it gets boring. Especially factions like England, the Spanish kingdoms, Byzantine Empire and so on. I played as England the other day and ended up quitting after 50 years because I had all of France and half of Spain, all Scotland and Wales and I was just unstoppable whereas the rest of the world had, as usual, fallen into perpetual rebellion and civil war.

So yeah, extremely doable.

savescumming is about as bad as simple editing savegames. a lot in this game is determined by the RNG god. if you savescum your way to genius heirs, good tactics, to avoid bad traits ect. you might as well edit the savegame or use the console to make everything optimal, load up as other characters and surrender ect. this is no conquest, this is a cheat.

also, im fairly sure 40 years is impossible, even with savescumming. there are only so much armies you can raise, wars that can be waged and declared and claims that can be generated. the main problem here is that while infidels go down quickly, same religion rulers dont give free CB's and you simply need to wait before claims can be fabricated. 40 years for that is simply too little time. grabbing the infidels MIGHT be doable in time to give you enough critical mass, but even heretics need to assualt holdings. against realms the size of ERE and HRE, thats simply barely doable. marching times included each war can take half a year, and there are more fronts to fight on.

EDIT: im fairly sure you went with either a astounding amount of savescumming here to fix problems or you werent a novice. for a expert, its hard enoguh already to conquer the world within a hundred years. for a novice downright impossible. the simple act of understanding the mechanics takes a try or two, and if you exploit these to the point needed to WC in this time, you are no longer a novice.

People like you make me hate for ever posting on this forum.. Why so much criticism, so much hate, calling me a liar and all?

Did I ever say that I savescummed to get genius heirs, good tactics? avoid bad traits? Ever?

See the first 50 years of my Graph? I learned the game during game-play.. For the first 30 years I could just hold on to my holdings.. What can I say?

Also, you didn't ever read my Tips&Tricks and know so few about the tactics I used there.. Cheesy or not, go check the "Conquering by Way of Heirs" part and let's talk about Catholic Conquest again...

Also, being a novice on this game doesn't mean that I'm a strategy novice.. I've played a hundred strategy games since Civ 1, so it was just learning the rules.. Not learning what to do..

Man..

Sultan, congratulations, I find world conquest boring and feeling like a chore after some time. So I wont be trying to recreate your attempt anytime soon. That said I am impressed by you picking up the game so quick and managing to conquer the world in such short time.

Why do you people act like the only thing I've done so far was save-load winning the game?
A comment not in the least related with anything I posted here..

It's like people telling a mayor that he's unsuccessful because he's a liar, whereas a mayor's success is not about his words but about how well he governs the city..

It's just like saying "Hey, whatever you did, won't matter. You're not better than us, because you're a cheater! See, I don't save-load my games!"
As if I claimed that I was better than anyone..

Man, I shouldn't have put that sentence in the start..

I'm not 'you people'.

I don't see the point in any of it. It's like taking something brilliant that's tremendous fun to play and sapping all of the joy out of it. For me, and many others, CK2 isn't a game you win, it's a game you experience. It's easy enough to do a WC even without trying... alright limiting the timescale makes it harder, but coming on here and bragging about how darned clever you are, and on your first playthrough too, just makes you look like a tosser.

this is a pretty niche forum. we talk about the best way to murder our uncles babies, conquer the world as oman by 1500, how we did better than hitler and won the battle for brittain and why ruler X should be a diffrent culture. we have a history forum, dont just discuss wether the new start date is epic but also why procinve X should be culture Y and not Z and demand for a ironman mode in EUIV because savescummign is just too effiecient.

the reason you are being called out at for savescumming is because the RNG is critical in thsi game. you said you savescummed "only" a few times each year. "only" a few times a year is quite a lot. enough to break the game, as it allows for ridiculous luck. games can be won or lost on the RNG. take for example the middle east: if alp arslan dies in battle the first battle, the middle east is bound to look diffrent. if the HRE implodes because of the kaiser dying it effects europe a lot. if harold godwinson survives without ever losing against norway or normandy, england is often very stable and thus much more of a factor. savescumming allows you to affect this. even when its not your pupose to abuse the RNG this way, it still has a lot of affect. a tactic can work out much better than should be simply because that annoying ally died this time, breaking the allaince and thus that factor, allowing you to get the upper hand. take it a bit further, and you create optimum curcumstances for yourself - no bad heirs, no revolts, good traits. and with so little knowledge of what you actually did(no 10 yearly scrrenshots, no AAR, not anything but a graph and a creenie of a world conquered).

savescumming is asiocated with those cheesy tactics. if you talk about savescumming, you talk about that, unless clearly stated otherwise. not talking about it does not equal it didnt happen. also, not getting sick randomly(which might be a unintended sideffect of scumming) is still getting out of bad traits.

my point is, savescumming is looked down upon here as a means of WC. cheesy tactics get you only that far compared to optimum circumstances. with optimum circumstances you break the game on itself and nothing is a challenge anymore, thus eroding the fact that you conquered the world. if you want to make a impression, do it without cheating.

i dont question your (albeit cheeasy) tactics to conquer cristians, i question it being possible even with savescumming(albeit not with savescummign to the point of 1000 reloads each day just to get the optimum optimum circumstances). people still need to get kids, armies still need to march. conquering the world becomes exponentionally easier gamey tactics wise the later the date due to the amount of claims being created due to children and marriages, bar for things as the impossible mongol hordes which make a dent in everyones plans. 80 years is hard enough as it is, but as you said: you barely grew the first 20 years, and only started to go really fast 50 years in. in those first 20 years the essential generating of heris, family, claims and consilodating is done. in 1066, i think around 60% of the rulers lack children, if it isnt more. until these marry and have children, yu can barely snatch heirs and forge alliances. you need to wait until the children age(which alone takes almost the 40 year window you give yourself) and there is the problem of those annoying provinces that take ages to traverse. therefor, i doubt its possible in 40 years. 50-60 seems doable, but 40 hardly. remeber were talking about around midway 1106 as the date where you ened to conquer the world.

in that case you shouldnt have called yourself a novice. i played countless of hours of mario. if a new game comes out, i might be a novice at that game, but im an veteran of the genre and series and thus it would not be good to call myself a novice. its like challenging a friend of mien who only recently picked up CK2 to go play euIV and challenge him to a game a month later and only start playing there myself that exact date, but still have the info of a long live of strategy and a year or so of EUIII expierience. while initially i need to hget accustomed with it, im not a novice in any way but the exact mechanics of the game.

herefor, i call you not being a novice when you started. in which case, you faild pretty hard those first few years. considering its not THAT hard to go and conquer parts of britanny, wales, ireland and scotland as england you should have been able to grow at least a bit compared to the stagnation fo your first years.

herefor, i call you not being a novice when you started. in which case, you faild pretty hard those first few years. considering its not THAT hard to go and conquer parts of britanny, wales, ireland and scotland as england you should have been able to grow at least a bit compared to the stagnation fo your first years.

Tell me, which one of Civilization, Colonization, Master of Orion, Total War, ... etc. games have these rules:
1. I conquer Norway only to find out it was for nothing.. That I pressed the claim of some Jack, who's now only grateful for me.
2. I start 5 wars at once to conquer a crumbled Scotland and after 2 years of warfare, when one of them submits, I find the Kingdom of Scotland united again and all my efforts were in vain.
3. I find my heir became a Turkish and making my Kingdom a Turkish one and removing my chances of being an empire.

Put all these together. Yes, CK2 is a strategy game and has many common points with other strategies.
But it also has many different points. Which makes a newcomer just a newbie till he gets the hang of it.

And btw, I was such a savescummer that I forgot to reload the game on all these occasions..

I still insist that 40 years is really easy @ 1.091 and medium difficulty @ 1.092
And I believe that many players can do it.

It's just that, it's not fun as many here already stated.. And would require tremendous amounts of detailed planning.. You won't be able to pass 2 days without stopping the game and checking your realm..

It's really not fun.. On the contrary, the thought of it just horrifies me..

Oh btw, I had my share of fun such as being the Turkish Fraticelli Padishah of Holy Roman Empire, Gilbert I 'The Blessed' (Robertoglu) de Normandie..

Wow, this is all so very cool.

I'd better just delete the intro & story parts of the posts and leave Tips & Tricks there, for those who might find them useful..

It would be much better than these empty arguments about why I save-loaded and who can pee further and all..

-EDIT-
There, it should be clear now.

Much thanks to Coanda, who got the point of the post and commented on the tactics.
Also thanks to JonStryker for his constructive attitude and giving me the idea about ambitions.

Last edited:
I'm not 'you people'.

I don't see the point in any of it. It's like taking something brilliant that's tremendous fun to play and sapping all of the joy out of it. For me, and many others, CK2 isn't a game you win, it's a game you experience. It's easy enough to do a WC even without trying... alright limiting the timescale makes it harder, but coming on here and bragging about how darned clever you are, and on your first playthrough too, just makes you look like a tosser.

But some people find tweaking things until they reach some optimal (for a given definition of optimal) solution. My fiance is like that some times. She likes to figure out price/ounce when she purchases, not because she's extra stingy, but because its like a game for her.

She's a min-maxer.