• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enjoying this AAR as always. One kind of n00bish question -- if I want to move all the troops in a given theater at once (playing as USA, so I'll need to load 'em up on boats and send them over the Atlantic), what's the most efficient way to do that, apart from moving each unit individually?

Two ways. One is to draw a box around all the troops and select them that way. The other is to select the theater and click on the little downward pointing arrow. This then selects all troops assigned to the theater HQ. Then just right click where you want to SR them to.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War

Thursday 18th to Sunday 21st June 1941 (Part II)

Our scientists now have an improved version of the miniature radar for use in our single engine planes. Once we have converted our aircraft to the new equipment, our fighters will be able to intercept the enemy far better, and our vulnerable close air supports planes will be able to avoid danger. Now we have an opportunity to finally throw out the 1918 handbook that comprises our strategic bomber command. It will just take a few months to write a new manual and put it into effect.

The subject of the first movement order of Saturday was not unexpected, but the target was a shock. 2nd Fallschirmjäger was to board the Ar 232 “Taussendfüsslers” at Riga airbase. Its destination: Tallinn. 1st Fallschirmjäger is still not ready to be loaded onto transport planes, so the 2nd must take and hold the city alone until then. The plan, as it was whispered to me by a very senior officer, is that the troops holding Tallin are to be the bait. The marines at Narva are blocking the exit. When the Russians react to the bait, the Baltic Army will close the door by driving to Pskov.

ar232finalend.jpg

A “Taussendfüssler” at Riga prepares to take off

While still reflecting on the strategy of OKH (are they being too clever?) I picked the next document. For a second I thought I had misread the numbers, but I double-checked: it was correct. 3,344 of our soldiers have been killed in Bereznica in the past 9 days, and Rommel has had enough. He has told General von Langermann und Erlenkamp to withdraw, leaving the battlefield to the Soviets. Both 6th Panzer and 16.ID (mot) are totally exhausted and will be unavailable for anything more than garrison duties for some time. Once again the futility of attacking large concentrations of Russians in the Pripyat Marshes had been confirmed. When will our generals learn?

We did beat off the Red Army attack in Vievis without much trouble but the next report from the front was even more distressing than that from Bereznica. Polen Army Sud is suffering badly from Rommel’s rash attacks or perhaps more from his reluctance to admit defeat. At least von Manstein calls off battles that are becoming meat-grinders. Soleczniki, although we are in control of the province, is a Pyrrhic victory. More than 4,000 good soldiers lie among the trees, together with 3,500 Russians. Rommel has lost 7,500 men in just two battles: this rate of attrition cannot be accepted.

Sirvintos should be an easier assignment for Brennecke, his 73.ID against the single 67 Strelkovaya. He has started well, a sudden assault giving him a temporary advantage over Alyushin’s men.

21sirvontosfinal.jpg

Battle of Sirvintos

General Petzel had an even easier task in Kremenchuts’ka, though it didn’t seem so at the beginning. He too had just his own division, 34.ID, but he was opposed by two good units, with two others giving direct support. We don’t know the cause, but General Mironov ordered a retreat at 6PM. Yet another case where Stavka has pulled good units out of combat. Are they preparing a defence line further east, along the Dnieper?

kafinal.jpg

Battle of Kremenchuts’ka

If von Kluge concentrated on his own objectives he might find his lack of troops less of a problem. Österreich Army has ordered Bock to take Tsvitkove – not itself a bad idea, but a long way north of their assigned front. It isn’t as if it were a real opportunity to do damage, as 36.ID is being held up by stubborn resistance, despite a local breakthrough. These sorts of battles (single divisions with little hope of reinforcement) have a bad habit of turning ugly.

21tsvitkovefinal.jpg

Battle of Tsvitkove

It was the Sturm-Marines, however,whose heroism lifted morale through the whole country. (Well, they gave Minister Goebbels the raw material: his writers and photographers did the rest). I fear we will hear of the daring and courageous invasion of Narva for months to come. Photographs of groups of heavily armed men rowing Floßsacks are everywhere, and stories of troops still dripping seawater liberating the cowed but grateful Estonians from the grip of Communism are immensely popular. Göring, never one to miss out on publicity, made sure that stock film of aircraft dropping bombs were included, with a few photographs of him looking simultaneously stern and happy. The Kriegsmarine too is milking the occasion for all it is worth, with newsreels showing the guns of the “Bismark” throwing death and destruction at the enemy. Only a cynic would remember that the “Bismark” and her crew are currently lolling about in the sun in Gibraltar. It had its effect though as hundreds of young men with leadership potential are rushing to sign up for the forces (that is where we currently have the most need).

21winnarvafinal.jpg

Battle of Narva

bismarck52final.jpg

The “Bismark” supposedly supporting the attack on Narva: maybe it will fool the Royal Navy

Two good victories (by which I mean where we suffered a lot less casualties than we inflicted) in Boryspil’ and Birzai were closely followed with the news that another administrative blunder by Kesselring had cost us the province of Sigulda. This area, on the northern shore of the River Daugava opposite Riga, was supposed to have been our starting point for the drive to Pskov. When the Fallschirmjägers were ordered to Riga, Baltic Army HQ neglected to divert another division to relieve them. Even the most dim-witted Red Army general could not turn down such a gift. There was a short attempt by the “Falkenberg” division to regain control, but OKH was not about to see von Küchler’s division destroyed to save Kesselring’s reputation. For once OKH moved swiftly: Kesselring was ordered that Sigulda was no longer a key objective and that he was to look for alternative routes across the Daugava. A relieved von Küchler could call back his men, but already 29 were dead in the pointless attack: the far bank was firmly held by 18,000 men determined to stay put.

21siguldafinal.jpg

Battle of Sigulda

The Luftwaffe could only send bombers to Narva, Sirvintos and Korets’ because of the weather, but the VVS still responded to that. Their air control must be in a bad way, though, as their fighters arrived long after our bombers had left for home. The trip wasn’t in vain, however, as Fisser was waiting with 6 Jagdgeschwader. Our investment in radar and detection techniques pays off sometimes, and General Major Rog will have plenty of empty parking spots at his airbase tonight.

finalew.jpg

Air Battle of Korets’

Before dusk, a grim indication of what the loss of Sigulda may cost us. Von Both thought he saw an opportunity to make a lightly opposed crossing of the Daugava into Jakabpils, but things have already started to go wrong. With effectively just one division Rybalko is easily holding 68.ID away from the north bank, and casualties are mounting.

jekabpilsfinal.jpg

Battle of Jekabpils

Somebody in the Österreich Army HQ has remembered their primary task: Friedrich-Willich is pushing along the coast of the Schwarze Meer towards the Crimea. 2nd Gebirgsjäger is making good progress towards the mouth of the Dnieper, and Mykolayivk should soon be clear of Russian troops.

22mykolayivkfinal.jpg

Battle of Mykolayivk

As I reported earlier, 3rd Gebirgsjäger met little resistance in Tsybuliv. There was a flurry of excitement when Brand signalled that he was under fire from cavalrymen, but this soon dissipated. 14 Kavalriyskaya could not stand up to real pressure and by mid-afternoon they too had given up any hope of holding the province.

22tsybulivfinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Tsybuliv

Another rapid victory in Zhytomyr kept spirits up, as Crüwell’s panzers swept the remnants of seven Soviet divisions out of the way. In reality it wasn’t a battle: it was just a few shots exchanged with retreating Russians. By the time the bulk of 3rd Panzer arrived there was nobody at home.

22zhytomyrfinal.jpg

Battle of Zhytomyr

In the air, the Luftwaffe was able to do a bit more, supporting a few more attacks, but the VVS was able to kill 89 of our men in Aizkraukle, as though von Both did not already have enough problems in crossing the Daugava. It was a one-off: Waber was quick to respond and Smushkevich did not get to repeat his earlier success.

22airaizkrauklfinale.jpg

Air Battle of Aizkraukle

Sirvintos is now under the control of the Reich, with Brennecke chalking up another easy win. Unfortunately for him, his victory was dwarfed by two other events late in the day. The first was the start of the assault on Kyiv. 161.Infanterie under Major General Cochenhausen has led off the attack, and his men are under intense fire from the defenders. Kyiv is a key objective, however, and Cochenhausen can expect assistance, with Müller-Michels already leading his Ju-188s over the city.

22kyivfinal.jpg

Battle of Kyiv

kyivfinal.jpg

Forcing our way into the heart of Kyiv will be long and painful

The best news was last. The Latvian pocket has been eliminated. And the trapped Soviet Army has laid down its arms. (Though strangely, we have heard that not one divisional or above commander has been located among the prisoners – they have all somehow made it back through our lines to the Soviet territory.) The last battle, for Ventspils, was bloody and brutal, as the Russians were aware that there was no more retreating. More than 100,000 men were involved, and nearly 5,000 of them were killed. But as dusk approached the fighting stopped. At least 70,000 men surrendered, but we believe that the total number may be more: several units disintegrated during the last few battles and it is thought that perhaps another 50,000 more prisoners may be floating about. Whatever the correct figure, we are sure of one thing: 13 enemy divisions are no more.

rpowfinal.jpg

The war is over for these Russians, carrying their wounded out of Ventspils

Finalised Battles during the period 18th to 22nd June 1941

Wilno: 673/23,522: 409/25,740
Kaniv: 298/19990: 240/54,131
Konets’: 995/19,595: 537/33,498
Horodyche: 53/19,991: 200/9,891
Baranowicze: 290/9,994: 550/27,476
Pinsk: 2,228/19,603: 874/84,048
Voresens’k: 1,758/19,991: 850/35,012
Tsybuliv: 56/9,996: 70/8,711
2nd Horodyche: 40/8,000: 31/9,994
Aizkraukle: 1,446/31,984: 1,804/27,810
Kirovohrad: 60/10,000: 106/8,339
Kaniv: 29/19,449: 246/6,911
2nd Wilno: 70/9,994: 75/16,829
Baryshivka: 112/9,995: 160/15,841
Ukmerge: 2,641/59,917: 2,464/110,888
Bereznika: 3,344/21,989: 1,888/42,938
Vievis: 74/9,643: 51/17,996
Soleczniki: 4,167/51,934: 3,555/76,839
Narva: 447/33,981: 1,195/19,987
Boryspil’: 555/29,985: 1,244/36,733
Birzai: 867/19,995: 1,222/33,875
Sigulda: 29/9,536: 4/17,985
2nd Tsybuliv: 91/9,938: 326/14,991
Ventspils: 2,441/31,020: 2,355/73,076
Sinvintos: 179/9,147: 206/9,904

Total Battle Casualties for the period 18th to 22nd June 1941

German: 22,943
Russian: 20,662

Prior Battle Casualties

German: 147,603
Russian: 157,423

Total Battle Casualties to date

German: 22,943 + 147,603 = 170,546
Russian: 20,662 + 157,423 = 178,085

Leningrad Area

leningradfinal.jpg

Riga – Wilno

rigawilnofinalend.jpg

Jekabpils: No change (32% complete)

Wilno – Powórsk

wilnopoworskfinalend.jpg

Lubieszów: No change (30% complete)

Powórsk – Kaniv

poworskkanivfinalend.jpg

Konets’: No change (57% complete)

Berezne: No change (77% complete)

Kyiv: 4th leichte is moving to assist Cochenhausen who is only facing a single garrison division. Unfortunately two motorised divisions have been detected moving towards the centre of the city (27% complete)

Kaniv – Schwarze Meer

kanivcoastfinalend.jpg

Novo Odesa: Rodin has been reinforced with 16 Tankovaya, and has 17 Tankovaya and 62 Turkestanskaya in reserve. All three additional units ares showing the effects of recent fighting, but it looks as though General Glokke’s first victory be a bit longer in arriving. Although he has ordered his men to assault the enemy, it is a futile last effort. (28% complete)

Kirovohrad: Popov’s 14 Tankovaya is just holding, and 53 Strelkovaya is moving up from the rear, but Heißing’s men should beat them to it. (63% complete)

Mykolayivk: No change other than Shyvdkoi has started a tactical withdrawal (79% complete)

Tsvitkove: 24 Kranozamskaya Kavaleriyskaya is moving up as a reserve (36% complete)

Bombing Summary

Luftwaffe

Ukmerge: Keller with 7th Kampffliegerkorps: 294 (294)
Wilno: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 183, 197, 143, 86 (609)
Ventspils: Wever with 8th Kampffliegerkorps: 261, 244, 242, 165 (912)
Boryspil’: Müller-Michel with 5th Kampffleigerkorps: 263, 267, 174, 308, 328, 192 (1,532)
Soleczniki: Sperrle with 1st Kampffliegerkorps: 249, 344, 273, 250 (1,116)
Novo Odesa: Udet with 3rd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 138, 261, 74, 124 (597)
Narva: Wever with 8th Kampffliegerkorps: 208, 151, 166 (525)
Narva: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 326, 352 (678)
Sirvintos: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 189, 185, 193, 188, 107 (862)
Korets’: Müller-Michel with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 320 (320)
Tsvitkove: Kesselring with 1st Schlachtfliegerkorps: 203, 208, 156, 122 (689)
Kyiv: Müller-Michel with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 251, 171 (422)

VVS

Aizkraukle: Smushkevich with 77th and 25th ShAD: 89 (89)

Total Bombing Casualties for the period 18th to 22nd June 1941

German: 89
Russian: 8,556

Prior Bombing Casualties

German: 1,546
Russian: 104,144

Total Bombing Casualties to date

German: 89 + 1,546 = 1,635
Russian: 8,556 + 104,144 = 112,700

Total East Front Casualties for the period 18th to 22nd June

German: 22,943 + 89 = 23,032
Russian: 20,662 + 8,556 = 29,218

Prior East Front Casualties

German: 149,149
Russian: 261,567

Total East Front Casualties to date

German: 23,032 + 149,149 = 172,181
Russian: 29,218 + 261,567 = 290,785

Last edited:
The lack of troops has worried many of us. This is made worse by Axis partners who fail to contribute to the war effort and even undermine it by using supplies intended for the front line (I believe they compensate the supplies but that makes no difference if you have supply choke points). As much as I love HOI3, allied onbjectives are still a massive failure: I have played games where my allies seemed to be doing their best to avoid a single objective they were given. One minor cheat is to grant youself expeditionary forces (easiest using the HOI3 Army Organiser, found in the general mod section). This way you can grant youself a corps from each of Hungary and Italy (perhaps structured as an Axis Army) and control it through the AI. This is only a small cheat as the Axis partners did contribute forces that acted within the overall planning of OKW. I don't recommend taking over their entire Army but it does not make sense that they waltz around the battle area not contributing.

As for Leningrad, it is possible that it was still occupied. Intelligence is not usually 100% accurate. Had you found it unoccupied, it would have been something of an expolit. Good to see the marines earning their pay!

As I said earlier, I think that events may be moving too fast for the Axis allies. They seem to mass in an area but before they are ready to attack the front is two provinces away. I may just set them objectives in rear and let them serve as garrsions - that at least would be helpful.

I'm pretty sure that Leningrad was still guarded: I could have still taken it by my objective is to destroy divisions, not capture cities. By taking Narva and Tallinn, I hope to lure a dozen divsions into Estonia and add them to the Latvian POWs

good landing there. Easy to keep, are you going to expand the force as more troops become available from the Latvian pocket? Or is it to stay there as a plug and wait for the rest of the heer to close the pocket further south of the "lake"?

See above: the PARAs at Tallin are the cheese: when the mice are in the trap I will push hard for Pskov and digest a few more Red Army divs.

Finally found the soft point, eh? ;) Taking Leningrad is my favourite opening move against the AI. A relatively small force (usually 2 full corps) can keep lots of Russians occupied up there. You can do a similar thing at Crimea, but that requires paratroopers or a serious anti-fleet presence.

Without Finland as an ally, I was relectant to send my Marines so far north. I don't know hopw many divs are still on the Finnish border. And just capturing Leningrad will not weaken the Red Army: I must kill/capture more troops.

Enjoying this AAR as always. One kind of n00bish question -- if I want to move all the troops in a given theater at once (playing as USA, so I'll need to load 'em up on boats and send them over the Atlantic), what's the most efficient way to do that, apart from moving each unit individually?

See below: though I thought if you clicked on the "select" bar it lined up everyone for movement (it's not called that but I don't remeber if it has a name)

In good old HoI2 Kiev was on Dnieper and one could take control over allied forces... :(

Not just in HOI2 - in reality! I always thought total control of my allies made it just too easy: but I agree that the allied objectives are of questionable use. They work sometimes, but it seems completely unpredictable and variable. I made Odessa a Bulgarian objective but haven't seen a single unit near there.

I would like a corps from each ("like" is probably too mild - "kill for"?) but don't want to mod the game. Maybe they will take up some front line positions in winter.

That's only 10-11 divisions until the end of the year? Not really much. Worse still, all of them are supply / fuel heavy. I know you are concerned about your manpower, but can you cover the front with the number of units you have available?
How about air and naval units?

There will be a few more INF divs (they don't take so long) and I intend to bring a few divs up to 5 brigades. But I have less than 650 MP and can't afford a mass expansion. I am pretty sure my supply can handle less than 10% increase at the front (don't forget I am currently working on infrastructure in 30+ provinces) , and fuel is not an issue - my units are not using too much and every province has heaps.

I have an ACC and LC being built and perhpas some destroyers (can't remember and game not running), but the only air at the moment is the STRAT. Airbases near the front are the issue. I will wait to see where I stop for winter: maybe start another CAS korps then. Remeber I have 8 TAC and 5 CAS korps already - and look how many actually operate over a five/six day period.

Two ways. One is to draw a box around all the troops and select them that way. The other is to select the theater and click on the little downward pointing arrow. This then selects all troops assigned to the theater HQ. Then just right click where you want to SR them to.

Far better description than mine: I must admit I have never tried to move an entire theatre's troops.

Thanks! I'm nowhere near war (still 1937, if memory serves), but I figured that might be good to know :D

Without Finland as an ally, I was relectant to send my Marines so far north. I don't know hopw many divs are still on the Finnish border. And just capturing Leningrad will not weaken the Red Army: I must kill/capture more troops.
Yes, it will weaken the Russians. You draw a considerable force out to hunt you in thick forests, and you eat a large city, switching a serious manpower source to your side. Remember also the Russians along the Finnish border, who start walking south on day one if Finland is not with you. Really, Leningrad is the most valuable target you can get early in the campaign.

.See above: the PARAs at Tallin are the cheese: when the mice are in the trap I will push hard for Pskov and digest a few more Red Army divs.

me prays man .. me prays ...

Thanks! I'm nowhere near war (still 1937, if memory serves), but I figured that might be good to know :D

When moving troops I like to keep them in range of the various HQ's. So I really like selecting say a Army HQ and then having all the HQ's troops selected. This way I know I'm not missing any. If I want to move to many provinces I first click on province one. I then deselect the units I move there. I then click on province two and all remaining troops now are planned to go there. i once again deselect the troops that I really want there and move to province three. Keep repeating this till you have the entire armie's attached troops going to the exact provinces you want. makes micro-managing much easier to do.

Oh and the game pretty much presorts the units by HQ (corps, army etc.).

"I'm pretty sure that Leningrad was still guarded: I could have still taken it by my objective is to destroy divisions, not capture cities. By taking Narva and Tallinn, I hope to lure a dozen divsions into Estonia and add them to the Latvian POWs"

This sounds like a good plan, creating a pocket within the limitations of Armee lvl AI control. Cant wait to see if it works. The tough part will be getting Polen Nord to close the door after what is sure to be bloody fighting to cross the river line at Riga. Good luck.

Yes, it will weaken the Russians. You draw a considerable force out to hunt you in thick forests, and you eat a large city, switching a serious manpower source to your side. Remember also the Russians along the Finnish border, who start walking south on day one if Finland is not with you. Really, Leningrad is the most valuable target you can get early in the campaign.

I agree, it is an enormous distraction for the Russian. It also unhinges the whole norther front for you, making the capture of Moscow that much more likely. It would be worth airdropping as many paras as possible and following with an infantry corps by ship.

Great update, I haven't been on for a few days and was worried I would have a lot more to catch up.

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Monday 23rd to Friday 27th June (Part I)

General Model received good news to start the week: 1st schwere Panzerkorps is at last to have an infantry division to support the panzers. He will no longer have to rely solely on the attached motorised brigades. Von Brünau’s 168.ID (mot) is already in Memel and will be ready for combat soon. The factories that had produced the trucks and other equipment are to be used for supply production.

Less than a week after the disastrous first attack on Pinsk was repelled (with thousands of casualties), von Manstein is trying again. Our reconnaissance has revealed that the Russians have left just one division to hold the city, and Brandt has been instructed to move swiftly and drive them out. How he is to move swiftly in the morass that surrounds the city was not made clear, and already his men are struggling. I sense another catastrophe could be looming.

23pinskfinal.jpg

Second Battle of Pinsk

mudfinal.jpg

104.ID is a motorised division, but requisitioned horses are essential to move equipment through along the muddy tracks that are all that is available in the Pripyat Marshes.

That is not to say that the Army of Polen Nord HQ cannot take advantage of intelligence. Having heard that the important area of Birzai, south of the bitterly disputed Aizkraukle, was held by the completely shattered 11 Tankovaya, von Manstein ordered the three divisions in Panevezys to attack. How 11 Tankovaya ended up in Birzai is a mystery (it was last heard of far to the south in Vievis, and prior to that in Semiliskes). That wasn’t important: what mattered was that it could do nothing to stop 30,000 infantrymen surging forward. It cost us just 24 men to see the tanks off.

23birzaifinal.jpg

Battle of Birzai

That was about it for Monday, though the Luftwaffe was able to get a few bombing missions completed. “Vörwarts” took Berezne and General Glokke gave up his attempt to take Novo Odessa. Not a good start for him: 33.ID lost 1,000 men and has been ordered to the rear to rest.

The Russian defenders in Korets’ may have been unsettled by Ruoff’s success in the neighbouring province of Berezne, or maybe Vishnevskij had had enough. Whatever the reason (and it seems more likely he was worried about being flanked) von Briesen claimed a victory first thing on Tuesday morning.

He had to be quick: most of the morning was taken up with a stream of announcements from our research organisations. Our medical researchers must have been working in tandem, as combat medicine and first aid improvements were delivered simultaneously. With losses on the Eastern Front reaching unsustainable levels, anything that can increase the number of wounded troops who can be returned to duty is welcome, as are the changes to first aid that will reduce the number of men we lose to illness and the primitive conditions in the east.

woundedfinal.jpg

Our wounded soldiers now have the most advanced medical care, including air transport to hospitals at the rear.

There were three other completed projects: the introduction of the 92mm sMG 42 and the 7.5cm PaK 40 for our regular infantry divisions and the issue of the no longer required le MG 34 to our garrison divisions.

smg42final.jpg

A demonstration of the new machine gun for the press: they could have issued some bullets to make it bit more realistic. And the nice clean uniforms detract from the “camouflage”.

Most of the new projects were for the Heer: specialist training for our elite troops in the Fallschirmjäger, Sturm-Marine and Gebirgsjäger divisions, new guns and armour for our medium panzers and special airborne warfare equipment. The one notable exception was a study into rocket aerodynamics. If all goes well it could lead to the design of a strategic rocket weapon.

Yahotyn was the first province on the other side of the Dniepr that we have tried to take. Hilpert was given two divisions but the far side of the river is packed with Russians in various stages of recovery from earlier defeats. We last saw 36 Zabajkal’skaya at the battle for Korusn’-Shevchenkivs’kyy back on 12th June, while 32 Kavaleriy and 2 Belorusskaya were in action only days ago. Still, there are nearly 40,000 men on the other side of a broad river, and success is not guaranteed.

24yahotynfinal.jpg

Battle of Yahotyn

At Narva the situation was reversed, as Mironov tried to cross the Narva River with 48 Strelkovaya. He did not waist much time on the attempt, losing 60 men in a few minutes before calling a halt to the attack. Halder’s marines would not have been concerned.

24narvafinal.jpg

Battle of Narva

With the landings at Narva and Tallinn, attention in Berlin has been turned north. To date we have ignored Finland as its government has been seen too close to be too similar to the British. The Foreign Ministry view was that we would never be able to convince them to join the Axis, and it was not worth the expenditure of scarce diplomats to try. Now however, we are to try to change their opinion by using our spies to increase support for our policies while using diplomacy to steer them close to our point of view. Maybe by next summer they could be an ally.

The Foreign Ministry could look long-term, but OKW also has to worry about the present. Nowogródek and Tsvitkove were both won, though 24 Kraznznamenskaya Kavaleriy flung themselves in front of Bock’s men in Tsvitkove. It did little but cost them a few dozen men. Similarly, Novikov’s dive-bombers tried to slow Hartmann’s advance into Nowogródek, by attacking Soleczniki but intervention by 6th Jagdfliegerkorps prevented them reaching their targets.

24airsolecznikifinal.jpg

Air Battle of Soleczniki

We are getting closer and closer to Minsk, and General Kalmukoff is doing his best to reach the city. Unfortunately for him, General Kirichenko has 4 divisions blocking his way through Molodeczno, and 88.Infanterie will need to show some real skill to win this battle. Unless of course, some of our Hungarian allies could be persuaded to assist.

24molodecznofinal.jpg

Battle of Molodeczno

3rd Gebirgsjäger Division will need no help to crush Grechko’s 308 Strelkovaya in Smila, though I am sure General Brand would gratefully accept any that was offered. In fact, some additional troops would be most welcome, as Brand is hoping to trap several Russian divisions in Tsvitkove.

24smilafinal.jpg

Battle of Smila

There could soon be some respite for the hardworking Jagdkorps in the north. Lörzer has rebased 8th Jagdfliegerkorps to Kaunas, even though the airbase there is still under repair. At least the commissariat can get supplies and fuel running and as soon as the airfields are functional we will have a forward interceptor group.

During the night of the 24th 1st Fallschirmjäger was flown to Tallinn and unloaded. It will be some days before the port can handle supplies and reinforcements, but at least we now have six brigades of crack troops to hold the perimeter. With the northern elements now in place, Baltic Army has new objectives: hold Riga and drive for Pskov.

fallschirmfinal.jpg

As soon as they landed, the Fallschirmjägers set up defensive positions in Tallinn

Barely had the orders been posted when shocking news came from the Baltic Army HQ. In another administrative blunder, no troops had arrived in Riga to replace the two Fallschirmjäger divisions that were its garrison. Although 4.ID “Falkenburg” was on its way to the city, it would not be there for a day or so. Until then, the only unit in the Latvian capital was Straube’s 1st Fallschirmjägerkorps HQ. Its men were orderlies and the general staff of the korps, not trained for parachute drops, so they had been left behind, ready to be transported to Tallinn later. Only 1,577 strong, it has found itself under attack from a whole Russian division, 184 Strelkovaya. Straube has already had his HQ wiped out once, when he led it into battle in Aizkraukle. Can he now hold the city until help arrives? He has the advantage of the river and the defensive benefits of the city terrain, but is heavily outnumbered and outgunned. It is purely a matter of the morale of his men, as he has no hope of defeating the Russian attackers.

25rigafinal.jpg

Battle of Riga

Victories at Druha and Ozmiana passed unnoticed, even though there was an unsuccessful attempt by the Russian general Rivkin to rally his retreating men in Druha. All eyes were on Riga.

Generalleutnant Wever personally led 8th Kampffliegerkorps over Sigulda, bombing Gastilovich’s men as they tried to cross into Riga. The VVS was desperate to protect 184 Strelkovaya, sending Astakhov and his three fighter brigades south from Leningrad. They were intercepted, however, over the Inner Gulf of Finland, by von Greim and his two Trägergruppe. It was hardly a fair fight, but the plucky carrier planes held off the more numerous and better armed Russian fighters, though at a high price.

25navaligffinal.jpg

Air Inner Gulf of Finland

Their sacrifice was in vain, however, as Vorozheikin had also been dispatched to Sigulda. He too had three fighter brigades and Wever’s planes took a severe beating, though they persisted with their attack. As if that were not enough, Astakhov attacked von Greim’s aircraft again and, with nearly 50 planes already destroyed, they had to return to the “Graf Zeppelin”. 8th Kampfliegerkorps was hit once again and this time it was too much, and they aborted their mission. Now it was up to Straube’s men, armed with their Kar 98s and little else as they waited for the next Russian attack from the far shore of the Daugava.

25airsigulda2final.jpg

Air Battle of Sigulda

The other two battles of that day were anti-climactic. A disoriented 64 Strelkovaya somehow got into Nowogródek just as von Salmuth entered with 30,000 men. General Magon will learn the hard way to manoeuvre his men out of harm’s way.

25nowogrodekfinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Nowogródek

The other battle should also have been a walkover, except that it is taking place in the southern part of the Pripyat. Meise is flinging his motorised troops in to the swamp, hoping to smash the brittle front line and reach thousands of HQ troops trying to evacuate through the rear areas. It may be worth a try, but the prospects do not look good.

25makhrovkafinal.jpg

Battle of Makhrovka

But as I left the office that evening, the long dusk of a Berlin summer evening still providing some light, my thoughts were with those clerks in the ruined buildings on the banks of the Daugrava. There would be no sleep for them tonight, not with the thought of a Russian night attack. I know that von Küchler will be marching all night, but can 4.ID reach Riga in time?

End of Part I

You can always start the war in 1937 :eek:

All that is true, but I dont know that could have taken and held it - it is a long way from the Baltic Army. I can't risk that many men, and I need to get Russians to surrender, not kill them. But don't worry - I'll get there. I just need to thin the Red Army a bit more.

me prays man .. me prays ...

Have faith my son.

Do bears eat cheese? Well, good luck with that trap. Seems to be a solid plan.
Would it be possible to repeat something similar in the Crimean?

Good thinking - I'll consider that - but first I am still hoping to get a big group in the Pripyat.

When moving troops I like to keep them in range of the various HQ's. So I really like selecting say a Army HQ and then having all the HQ's troops selected. This way I know I'm not missing any. If I want to move to many provinces I first click on province one. I then deselect the units I move there. I then click on province two and all remaining troops now are planned to go there. i once again deselect the troops that I really want there and move to province three. Keep repeating this till you have the entire armie's attached troops going to the exact provinces you want. makes micro-managing much easier to do.

Oh and the game pretty much presorts the units by HQ (corps, army etc.).

You are more organsied than me, but then I let the AI do most of the work, and just shift individual korps around.

This sounds like a good plan, creating a pocket within the limitations of Armee lvl AI control. Cant wait to see if it works. The tough part will be getting Polen Nord to close the door after what is sure to be bloody fighting to cross the river line at Riga. Good luck.

The Baltic Army has a few spare divs now the pocket is gone. But I fear it will be expensive.

I agree, it is an enormous distraction for the Russian. It also unhinges the whole norther front for you, making the capture of Moscow that much more likely. It would be worth airdropping as many paras as possible and following with an infantry corps by ship.

Great update, I haven't been on for a few days and was worried I would have a lot more to catch up.

Maybe you are all correct, but it is too late now: Russians are crawling around Narva and that is too close to Leningrad. I hope a lot of them try to assault my three divs in Narva across the river: it will fail.

Sorry I haven't done more, but this AAR is very time consuming (especially avoiding mistakes and being accurate) and I have an essay and mid-semester exam this week. By Friday I may have a bit more time.

Good show, but I see increasingly challenging fights on the horizon.

I've started a Soviet campaign in the HPP mod, and I dare say, they've managed to create a much more convincing barbarossa; the Great Officer Purge actually hurts Soviet capabilities, and until you get suitably whalloped by the Germans, even with tech parity, Soviet troops just can't fight the Germans on an even footing due a 50% org malus (shrinking eventually to 30, 20 and eventually 0 by '43 or '44). Therefore, the Germans do really well in the opening phase (less so with a human controlling the Soviets, they've lost 250k in a month, I've lost about 350k), and then slowly start struggling as Soviet organization improves, industry expands, manpower losses take their toll and various "Not One Step Backwards" esque bonuses make the Russians more and more dangerous as they lose ground. Eventually, generally the first winter in, the Germans just can't push any further, and start crumbling.

I don't foresee the same occurrence here; base HoI is much more favorable to the Germans and undervalues General Winter, but this may turn into a nasty meat grinder somewhere around the eastern Ukraine when you can't encircle as well, bring your air power to bear or use naval maneuvers.

Wow, what happened in Riga? I think you removed the paras and the Soviets attacked before the German army AI could send in the Infantry to shore up the front? Doesn't look good :/

I have to agree with others: Leningrad would've been a better target. With that many units, you should've been able to capture it and the Soviets would not be able to shake you out of it, forcing them to take a large detour to reach the front further south.

smg42final.jpg

Those Wehrmacht soldiers posing for the photo-op must be the most unconvincingly disguised guys ever. That one single twig tugged at the front of the helmet is about as effective as having a smear of dirt on the nose. The lack of actual ammunition makes the picture even sillier. :)

smg42final.jpg

Those Wehrmacht soldiers posing for the photo-op must be the most unconvincingly disguised guys ever. That one single twig tugged at the front of the helmet is about as effective as having a smear of dirt on the nose. The lack of actual ammunition makes the picture even sillier. :)

Well, about the "camofulage" you´re right. But there ist ammo on the weapon. The MG 42 is fed from left, so the belt on the right side has to be empty. Look just under the barrel on the chest of soldier on the right. There you can see that he is feeding the gun with ammo. At least there are rounds in the belt, if life or just exercise is not visible. What I find interesting are the decorations of the Unteroffizier commanding the squad. He seems to have seen a little bit more action with the Grossdeutschland Regiment/Divsion (look at the cuff title and shoulder boards).

Long time lurker here. First, let me chime in on saying that this is by far the best AAR here, keep up the work Uriah, you're doing wonderfully!

But the other reason im posting here is to clarify this photo. I'm a long time reenactor of ww2 german fallschirmjager and heer forces, and I have a lot of experience with camo. Generally, if you're moving around a lot, the camo you start out with is not the camo you finish the day with. Thee guys probably had tons and tons of grass stuck in the rubber bands on their helmets, but during the course of operations that day, it basically all fell out. Judging by how messy and falling apart it is, I think this is the case here. Also, as the poster above pointed out, the unteroffizer is a member of grossdeutschland, as are the two enlisted men. The gun commander also has a iron cross first class, infy assualt, and a silver wound badge (3-4 wounds), meaning he has absolutely seen a LOT of combat. These guys are no amateurs. :p

Last edited:
Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

Monday 23rd to Friday 27th June 1941 (Part II)

Thursday morning another abortive attack on Narva was quickly repulsed. This time it was Primakov with 142 Strelkovaya, but he did no better than General Miranov a few days earlier. After just one hour he and his men were sure that nothing was to be gained in continuing their attack.

26narvafinal.jpg

2nd Battle of Narva

A more serious attack was far to the south, in Kaniv. Borzilov has an armour and a motorised division, but he is up against an elite volunteer unit, 7th SS Freiwilligen Gebirgsjäger “Prinz Eugen”. Not completely recovered from the fighting a week or so ago, but it is in fairly good shape. The weather is helping Kuntze’s men, with heavy rain slowing Borzilov’s advance, but in the long term we hope for clear skies to allow the Luftwaffe to hit the Soviet concentrations in Domontove.

26kanivfinal.jpg

Battle of Kaniv

Russian counter-attacks are far from the mind of General von Manstein. He is encouraging his commanders to keep exerting pressure on the retreating Russians. Polen Army Nord is emphasising the importance of keeping the fleeing Russians off-balance so that they cannot form a coherent line on the far side of the Daugava. General von der Chevallerie has committed 95.ID to meeting his leaders demands, pushing his men deep into Svedasai, even though he knows the area is packed with the men of 4 divisions. Reckless or courageous? Here in Berlin we cannot tell.

26svedasaifinal.jpg

Battle of Svedasai

My reluctance to condemn von der Chevallerie for plunging unsupported into the forest chasing four times his number of men had nothing to do with his reputation (which is still in its infancy) and a lot to do with the way General von Manstein has shown himself to be my superior in judging when to attack. He has shown himself to be a master again. When he sent Brand’s motorised infantry into the swamps surrounding Pinsk, we in Berlin (and I include most of OKW) predicted a bloodbath. If you remember, the last attack had ended in disaster, with 2,200 dead. 104.ID, using improvised transport and sheer brute strength, has forced its way through the morass and savagely attacked the defenders of the city. (There seems to be a suspicion that Keppler’s 1st leichte Panzer supported the attack from the north, but no further information is available). Taken completely by surprise and with casualties piling up, Sokolovsky and 5 Vitebskaya abandoned their mud filled trenches and headed further into the swamps. Another example of von Manstein’s ability to pick the right time to hit an already weakened position.

pinskfinal.jpg

Nobody said the road to Pinsk would be easy

The decision to send 5th Panzer south into Pabrade also worked well for Polen Army Nord. The Russians tried to hold the mass of armour heading their way, but with nothing but anti-tank rifles they soon decided there was no point in dying needlessly. Kleinheisterkamp was on the field phone to Army HQ before lunchtime, advising that the only Russians in sight were dead or fleeing.

26pabradefinal.jpg

Battle of Pabrade

General Rommel would have envied the firm ground further north: the only way that Polen Army Sud will get to Minsk is through the marshes of Stolpce. With Pinsk securely held by 104.ID, Schlömer’s 105.ID was given the task of clearing a path through the soggy mosquito-ridden swamps, not a job that his men would have been pleased to get. To make matters worse, the three Soviet divisions in their way are in good shape, well rested and plentifully supplied with ammunition and other stores. But there is no choice: Minsk is a major industrial city with a good airfield nearby and is a priority target for OKH.

26stolpcefinal.jpg

Battle of Stolpce

It was with huge relief that we heard from General Straube in Riga. He has contacted General Kesselring to say that the Russians are pulling back from the far bank of the Daugava: the attempt to take Riga has been defeated. It was not the efforts of the valiant but ill-equipped and trained HQ troops: they lost 45 men while the Russian attackers lost just five. It was the hard marching men of the “Falkenburg” division who had saved the day. As soon as the lead elements of 4.ID appeared on the outskirts of the city the enemy realised that they had missed their opportunity, and the Latvian capital was safe.

rigafinal.jpg

Outside Riga some of the HQ troops who held off the Russian attack inspect the remains of a makeshift raft used in an attempt to cross the river. With a real combat unit now present, they can afford to stroll along the river bank.​

The high spirits brought on by this good news were sustained by word from von Salmuth that he had again broken the Russians in Nowogródek. He won a decisive victory, more than quadrupling his own casualties. We need many more victories like this.

The only bad news was from Kyiv where Müller-Michels and 5th Kampffleigerkorps were attacked twice Falaleev’s air brigades. Losses were not too bad, but the impact of nearly three hundred fighters on the carefully ordered bomber formations meant that their third mission of the day had to be aborted.

I suppose I should be hardened by now, but every time that I see a mention of my brother’s unit heading into battle my heart seems to pause and I have to remind myself to start breathing again. This happens every time, even when all the information points to a particularly easy engagement. I just know that Heinz is not the sort to let another panzer get in front of his, nor would he rest until he received the order to halt. Anyway, this is one of the less dangerous battles he has been in. 3rd leichte Panzer is leaving Wilno behind them and moving north-east into Swieciany, held by Kozakov with two divisions. It is perfect tank country, and General Harpe will soon persuade the Russians that it might be better to fight another day: those that escape his fast moving panzers and are not rounded up by the infantry of “Eberswalde” regiment.

26swiecianyfinal.jpg

Battle of Swieciany

Friday a new panzer division joined the Heer. General Schmidt, has decided that he will provision his new unit and set his command structure in place before moving it to the front. This will save transporting tonnes of supplies thousands of kilometres. So it will remain in Berlin for now. No new expenditure has been approved, as there are huge demands for upgrades and supplies.

Late news from yesterday was that Müller-Michels had tried to avoid the Russian fighters by flying a night mission. The thought was good, but it failed in practical terms. The navigators and bomb-sight operators of our Ju 188s had relied on the burning buildings in the capital of the Ukraine to light their targets, but the very flames that lit the Russian positions gave the enemy fighter pilots enough contrast to locate our aircraft. For once the lack of radar in the Russian planes could not protect us. 5th Kampffliegerkorps will take a while to recover from its losses over the city.

27airkyivfinal.jpg

Air Kyiv: Midnight 27th June

Although this should have dampened enthusiasm, as it was I was quite cheerful. That was because I had already heard that General Harpe had won the battle of Swieciany, with only a couple of damaged tanks and some infantry casualties. No deaths or severe wounds from the tank regiments. With Heinz out of danger for a few more days, I was able to take a more positive view of the progress of the war.

traktorfinal.jpg

A photograph Heinz sent me later: the remains of a Russian artillery unit after our panzers went through. Towards the front is a “Kommisar” heavy tractor and at the rear an STZ-NAT1.[/I
]

The tempo on the whole Eastern Front does seem to be picking up, and overall casualties have been down for the past few days. Is this a trend or a statistical blip? Only time will tell. But battles are getting shorter which reduces our losses and allows up to advance quicker as less supplies are consumed in combat activity.

Even with orders instructing him to drive north-east around the top of the Pripyat Marshes, Rommel’s divisions persist in attacking the Russians in the nearly impenetrable fens and bogs immediately east their positions. This time it is Keppler, taking his light tanks into Malkowicze. In his defence, I should point out that his opposition is a weakened cavalry unit, and that he has promised Polen Army Sud HQ that he will subdue all resistance without much cost. It’s his reputation.

27malkowiczefinal.jpg

Battle of Malkowicze

kepplerfinal.jpg

Keppler’s infantry units are pushing their way into Malkowicze, with the mud providing more of a problem than the Red Army.

General von Kluge does not have marshes to worry about – his whole attention is on the Dniepr. 61.ID is chasing three divisions back through Cherkasy, intent on keeping them from pausing when they cross the river at their rear. The Russians are too numerous to outflank and are retreating too fast to outrun, so Österreich and Balkans Armies are relying on the sheer momentum of their attacks to carry across the river.

27cherkassyfinal.jpg

Battle of Cherkasy

That faith in momentum may not be misplaced. First Österreich Army HQ reported that Brandt’s 3rd Gebirgsjäger Division has won a resounding victory in Smila. More than a thousand Russians killed or captured, against a casualty list of just over 300. The question now is: how soon before we are ready to cross in Chornobai, across the Dniepr? The second win was completely unexpected. Cochenhausen has seized Kyiv before the Russian reinforcements could be deployed properly, and when the second-line division at the front routed to the rear, the motorised divisions that the Red Army hoped would drive back our assault also took flight. Not a cheap win (city fighting is never easy) but still a massive blow against the Russians and a feather in the cap of General Guderian, whose Balkans Army now has a new objective: Brjansk.

kievfinal.jpg

Outside a captured Russian bunker in Kiev, Cochenhausen’s men receive their new orders and prepare to move out again.

You would have expected Cochenhausen to have been given a few hours to bask in his glory, and you would be right. He got a few hours, but at 10PM that night he and the men of 161.ID were embroiled in more fighting. The narrow paths and water-logged tracks along the southern edge of the Pripyat Marshes are clogged with hundreds of thousands of Russians struggling east. The grand strategy is for Polen Army Sud and the Balkans Army to loop around the north and south edges respectively and meet on the eastern side of the Marshes, trapping dozens of divisions. The risk of many units escaping out trap induced Guderian to send 161.ID into Polis’ke to, if not turn back, at least slow the eastward progress of the retreating Soviets. Cochenhausen has a tough job, but he has shown he can handle difficult tasks, and if he can just force the Russians north that would be a victory.

kefinal.jpg

Battle of Polis’ke

Somehow von Kuge and Österreich Army are finding troops to keep up the pressure on the Russians. Late at night von Bock’s 111.ID moved into Domantove, once again squashing the Soviets against the Dniepr and giving them no chance to rest. 131 Motorizavaya is the one unit that could hold up our infantry, and if it does then the three to one odds could lead to failure. On the other hand, a hard pressed attack, a few bombing missions and a little luck could see von Bock’s men at the Dniepr in a day or so.

While von Kluge anxiously watches his lead divisions push towards the major river that could spell catastrophe to his plans, he has one less thing to worry about. General Kuntze and 7th SS Freiwilligen Gebirgsjäger “Prinz Eugen” have held their ground in Kaniv. Badly beaten up by Borzilov’s tanks, the men of “Prinz Eugen” held their nerve and backed by the demo charges and flamethrowers of the attached pioniere regiment, through back 8 Tankovaya and 131 Motorizavaya. Nearly 5% of the division were killed, but they did not surrender a metre of ground. The victory was well-deserved and von Kluge (as well as out other Army commanders) is concentrating on the advance, but I couldn’t help feeling a whisper of doubt. Is this what we have to look forwards to: celebrating losing hundreds of men beating off a Red Army attack?

Nonsense: Unternehmen Barbarossa has been meticulously prepared and is going to plan. The time frame may have been extended, but thoughts of Russian counter-attacks are just defeatist. But the whisper of doubt is still there.

Finalised Battles for the period 23rd to 27th June 1941

Berezne: 351/9,993: 195/15,946
Novo Odesa: 1,024/9,403: 581/34,635
Korets’: 742/9,995: 386/33,531
Narva: 5/33,977: 60/8,994
Nowogródek: 68/19,991: 73/7,830
Tsvitkove: 404/9,985: 324/13,982
2nd Tsvitkove: 6/9,592: 28/5,613
Druha: 196/10,000: 314/16,852
Ozmiana: 180/9,769: 230/15,980
2nd Druha: 47/9,803: 93/7,594
2nd Narva: 4/33,989: 45/8,995
Pinsk: 352/19,991: 513/8,998
Pobrade: 53/11,977: 104/7,999
Riga: 45/10,573: 5/8,999
2nd Nowogródek: 115/29,983: 509/9,998
Swieciany: 63/9,993: 120/18,316
Smila: 318/29,983: 1,295/26,097
Kyiv: 983/29,978: 1,166/71,700
Kaniv: 429/9.993: 118/17,988

Total Battle Casualties for the period 23rd to 27th June 1941

German: 5,385
Russian: 6,159

Prior Battle Casualties

German: 170,546
Russian: 178,085

Total Battle Casualties to date

German: 5,385 + 170,546 = 175,931
Russian: 6,159 + 178,085 = 184,244

Leningrad area​

leningradfinal.jpg

Riga – Wilno

rigawilnofinalend.jpg

Jekabpils: Rybalko has left, taking 228 Strelkovaya with him. Zyrianov has remained with 126 Strelkovaya and still has 111 Strelkovaya in reserve. Von Both is slowly gaining ground, but it victory is not certain. (41% complete)

Svedesai: 176 Strelkovaya has straggled in from Ukmerge, but it is totally demoralised after the massive battle and ultimate defeat. Von der Chevallerie has encircled a few Russians and his messages to Polen Army Nord HQ show increasing confidence. (61% complete)

Wilno – Powórsk

wilnopoworskfinalend.jpg

Stolpce: Ershakov is another Russian general who has been left to cover a retreat. 313 Strelkovaya has already departed, and while 88 Strelkovaya is still in the rear areas, is seems to be heading east. Schlömer, on the other hand, has 19 and 75.ID preparing to attack from Nowogródek. The situation has led to a small breakthrough, speeding the advance. (52% complete)

Malkowicze: No change (78% complete)

Molodeczno: With Steiner’s panzers at his side, Kalmukoff is battering his way forward, but it is hard going. Kirichenko has lost 312 Strelkovaya and now has three more virtually useless infantry divisions in his rear (64, 73 and 313 Strelkovaya have all suffered greatly in recent engagements). (58% complete)

Powórsk – Kaniv

poworskkanivfinalend.jpg

Bobrovytsa: Dippold’s 386.ID (mot) attacking from the south has been joined by 13.ID (mot) attacking from the west. Pavelkin has been promised help but 15 Motorizavannaya is still making its way to the front. (62% complete)

Mahrovka: 3rd Panzer has made a flank attack from Zhytomyr, but the new Russian commander, Tolbukhin, has now been reinforeced with 13 Tankovaya and has 189 and 190 Strelkovaya and 202 and 316 Motorizavayanna in reserve: a total of more than 61,000 troops. With the boggy conditions nullifying much of the impact of Crüwell’s tanks, it will not be easy to close off the escape route east. (42% complete)

Polis’ke: General Gagen has seen half his force retreat to the north east, and he has just two front line infantry divisions (11 and 224 Strelkovaya) to hold off Cochenhausen’s men. (44% complete)

Yohatyn: 2 Belorusskaya has moved back to the rear, where it has been joined by the completely fresh 104 Strelkovaya which is moving to the front. Hilpert’s two divisions are stuck on the south bank of the Dniepr, making little progress (25% compete)

Kaniv – Ochakiv

kanivochakivfinalend.jpg

Cherkasy: 134 Strelkovaya has already pulled out, leaving General Kurochkin just one infantry and one cavalry division. (75% complete)

Kirovohrad: After 8 days of fighting, Heißmeyer’s men are nearly exhausted, but so are the Russians, including 53 Strelkovaya which had reinforced the front lines. 1st Gebrigsjäger is about to cross from Druha and this flank attack should be enough to crack the Soviet resolve. (93% complete)

Mykolayivk: 18 Tankovaya is on its way to assist 206 Strelkovaya, but Friedrich-Willich is sure his Gebirgsjägers will break the Russian line before it arrives. (79% complete)

Domantove: No change (59% complete)

Bombing Summary

Jekabpils: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 301, 381, 233, 217 (1,132)
Kyiv: Müller-Michels with 5th Kampffliegerkorps: 323, 277, 160, 253, 219 (1,232)
Nowogródek: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 188, 138 (326)
Nowogródek: Grauert with 4th Kampffleigerkorps: 239, 336, 307, 256 (1,138)
Nowogródek: Hoffman von Waldau with 4th Schlachtfleigerkorps: 254 (254)
Tsvitkove: Kesselring with 1st Schlachtfliegerkorps: 88, 75, 118, 44, 72 (397)
Oszmania: Löhr with 2nd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 185, 183, 180, 153 (701)
Oszmania: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 237 (237)
Pinsk: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 236, 303 (539)
Pinsk: Hoffman von Waldau with 4th Schlachtfliegerkorps: 309 (309)
Sigulda: Wever with 8th Kampffliegerkorps: 288 (288)
Smila: Kesselring with 1st Schlachtfliegerkorps: 177, 66, 31 (274)
Kirvohrad: Udet with 3rd Schlachtfliegerkorps: 201, 177, 211 (589)
Swieciany: Kitzinger with 3rd Kampffliegerkorps: 299, 208 (507)
Molodeczno: Grauert with 4th Kampffliegerkorps: 287, 313, 259 (859)

Total Bombing Casualties for the period 23rd to 27th June 1941

German: Nil
Russian: 8,782

Prior Bombing Casualties

German: 1,635
Russian: 112,700

Total Bombing Casualties to date

German: Nil + 1,635 = 1,635
Russian: 8,782 + 112,700 = 121,482

Total East Front Casualties for the period 23rd to 27th June 1941

German: 5,835 = Nil = 5,385
Russian: 6,159 + 8,782 = 14,941