• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've taken up the game again after reading the DDs for Victoria 2 and have a few questions:

1. Is it intentional that the reform events for Russia (those that let you make different decisions for Poland, even allowing you to get Polish as a country culture) are only available if you lose the Crimean War? I found it kind of odd that I'm punished for winning it.

2. I annexed Wallachia in the Crimean War and released Romania later as a puppet. But there is no unification event for Moldavia to join a newly established Romania. The only event chain I found was the one for the Ottomans that sets the flag for allowing Wallachia and Moldavia to form Romania. But that event never triggers if Wallachia doesn't exist (279201) and Russia won.

3. Does the USA get any additional inherent bonuses to immigration, or just the extra 50 plurality?

4. Is it possible to mod the immigration/emigration behavior or is it hard-coded? (To for instance make certain RGOs more attractive or change the continent bonuses.)

Spain's national value

Why is Spain's starting national value Equality? Although the Carlists are by their nature more conservative (or reactionary) it seems Order would be more appropriate for Spain, subduing the aforesaid rebellion.

I've taken up the game again after reading the DDs for Victoria 2 and have a few questions:

1. Is it intentional that the reform events for Russia (those that let you make different decisions for Poland, even allowing you to get Polish as a country culture) are only available if you lose the Crimean War? I found it kind of odd that I'm punished for winning it.
I believe so, as the radical reforms are believed to have only been possible when Russia realised how weak it was. Moreover, why would the Russian elite reform Poland if they had reasserted that they are doing fine (because they won the war)?

There is, however, events to gain Byelorussian and Ukrainian if winning. This represents the reformist nature of Alexander II, who might have gained a greater influence to enact his reforms after conducting a successful campaign. However, it was deemed reforming Poland would be a step too far in the case of a victory.

Having this also encourages the player to take the historical route (and we want some incentive for the player to do so). Saying that, maybe it is worth a seperate discussion to see what is the general feeling on this decision - would reform in Poland be possible for a victory?
2. I annexed Wallachia in the Crimean War and released Romania later as a puppet. But there is no unification event for Moldavia to join a newly established Romania. The only event chain I found was the one for the Ottomans that sets the flag for allowing Wallachia and Moldavia to form Romania. But that event never triggers if Wallachia doesn't exist (279201) and Russia won.
Should probably have an event for that.
3. Does the USA get any additional inherent bonuses to immigration, or just the extra 50 plurality?
It has a hardcoded bonus built into the game engine which means it gets more immigrants. The large plurality just catalyses this some more.
4. Is it possible to mod the immigration/emigration behavior or is it hard-coded? (To for instance make certain RGOs more attractive or change the continent bonuses.)
It is possible to make certain RGOs more attractive by altering the value of the good they produce - the higher it is the more attractive to immigrants. Continent bonuses cannot be altered, though you can change the continent which certain provinces belong to (though this might create issues with colonisation, granting statehood, etc. itself).
Why is Spain's starting national value Equality? Although the Carlists are by their nature more conservative (or reactionary) it seems Order would be more appropriate for Spain, subduing the aforesaid rebellion.
Well the rebellion is modelled as a war with another state, so depicting Isabelino Spain in such a way seems fair to me. There should probably be an event somewhere for after the war which changes the national value to order or maybe even liberty, however.

________

Sorry for the delay guys! I've been busy.

Hi everyone! Now i am enjoying V:R again, with the lastes VIP version. But i have a couple of questions (that i did no find the answer in the forum).

1st: How can i get the inmigrants to come to my country? (the standard V:R ways did not work :( )

2nd: What are the requisites in VIP 0.3 for an uncivilized nation to be civililazed?

Thanks in advance!

Are there any new event's for China and can anyone give me a guide how to civilize as China.
We were planning on adding some, but they haven't been worked out yet. There have been a few suggestions, but no-one on the team is a particular expert (other than JRaup, but he's been busy).]

As for civilising as China: basically follow the historic route by losing the Opium wars/Arrow war. This leads to the self-strengthening movement, which is a requirement for Cixi rising to power. After that you'll get the "Cixi Seizes Guang Xu in Coup d'Etat!" event where you should choose the second option to civilize.
Hi everyone! Now i am enjoying V:R again, with the lastes VIP version. But i have a couple of questions (that i did no find the answer in the forum).

1st: How can i get the inmigrants to come to my country? (the standard V:R ways did not work :( )

2nd: What are the requisites in VIP 0.3 for an uncivilized nation to be civililazed?

Thanks in advance!
1) It is basically the standard ways (we can't change that logic), though it does seem harder in VIP:R due to having less push and pull factors. Essentially high plurality, full citizenship and good reforms should get you loads of immigrants. It's worth noting that European countries are much less liekly to get immigrants, and American nations much more likely (due to the continental vices/virtues which are hardcoded).

2) See here:

Code:
	 trigger = {
		civilized = no
		prestige = 10 #must have positive prestige
		military = 1 #must have some military
		literacy = 0.0020 #20% literacy rate
		technology = 1103 #breech-loaded rifles
		technology = 2103 #iron steamers
		technology = 1402 #army professionalism
		technology = 2402 #naval professionalism
		technology = 3302 #market structure
		technology = 3102 #ad-hoc money bill
		technology = 5302 #early railway
		technology = 4103 #Empiricism		#ministerial government pre-reqs
		technology = 4303 #State and Government	#
		local_flag = { name = flg_MinisterGovt value = 1 } #set by national event
		local_flag = { name = flg_UNCIVRP1 value = 1 }
	}
That should be quite clear (I hope). The last flag is set automatically and shouldn't be much of a concern.

Hope that helps guys! :)

Hey,

I'm really enjoying Victoria with VIP lately, but since I like to play with The Netherlands because of their nice colonial empire in Asia I was wondering if the Dutch East Indies still give them any benefits trough events or something(or is it done trough added income for capitalists)?

Since VIP seems to be based around an even more historical way of play, and the Netherlands basically built most of their infrastructure with money coming from the Dutch East Indies, it would seem logical the Dutch East Indies still add some benefits to the Dutch home lands in VIP.

I'm really enjoying Victoria with VIP lately, but since I like to play with The Netherlands because of their nice colonial empire in Asia I was wondering if the Dutch East Indies still give them any benefits trough events or something(or is it done trough added income for capitalists)?
Your capitalists will get money added via background events.

I guess that since it are "background" events there isn't a way to see how much you're getting exactly?
You could check in the event files, might be like 750 or 1000 every so often. The only downside in my mind is that one doesn't get the manpower from Indonesia, but otherwise it seems alright. Besides, you can grab a few provinces off the non-conquered Indonesian uncivs, like oil, dye, and tropical wood.

You could check in the event files, might be like 750 or 1000 every so often. The only downside in my mind is that one doesn't get the manpower from Indonesia, but otherwise it seems alright. Besides, you can grab a few provinces off the non-conquered Indonesian uncivs, like oil, dye, and tropical wood.

Checked the event files for The Netherlands, but it only contains the vanilla victoria events. The custom events for turning into a liberal country trough the reforms by Thorbecke etc. are not in it. Couldn't find an event file for the Dutch East Indies.(I know they had an event about the "cultuurstelsel", but searching the contents of all event files didn't result in finding it, weird)

Anybody has an idea where these events might be located?

See in the "VIP_ImperialBenefit.txt" file located in the "<your directory>\scenarios\VIPscen\events\" folder.

It gradually raises up from £1000 per year at the start of the game to £4000 per year by the end of the game.

See in the "VIP_ImperialBenefit.txt" file located in the "<your directory>\scenarios\VIPscen\events\" folder.

It gradually raises up from £1000 per year at the start of the game to £4000 per year by the end of the game.

Found it, thanks :)

Spotted something awkward though, at a certain moment the Dutch East Indies got inherited by me (just playing as The Netherlands), and it all seemed to work fine except that the descriptions seemed to be meant for British India.

Found it, thanks :)

Spotted something awkward though, at a certain moment the Dutch East Indies got inherited by me (just playing as The Netherlands), and it all seemed to work fine except that the descriptions seemed to be meant for British India.
Yeah, this has been reported, and we've fixed it in the next version.
VIP:R 0.3 crashs for me, on win 7 32-bit.
I can apply the official revolutions patch, and it works again.
Reinstall 0.3 + hotfix -> crash
What could be the problem in VIP 0.3?
That seems very strange. Are you installing on a seperate desktop copy? Basically we recommend the installation to be as follows:
1) Install Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun
2) Install Victoria: Revolutions
3) Copy your Victoria: Revolutions version to a seperate location, preferably away from the 'Program Files' folder
4) Download and install VIP:R 0.3 onto this separate version
5) Download and install VIP:R 0.3 Hotfix 1 onto this separate version

Could the issue be the way in which you are installing? I know there are errors when the hotfix is installed first.

If none of this then do you get any error messages?

Define "crash".

Does the game simply remove itself from memory and you return to the desktop without an error?

Do you get an error? Even the generic Microsoft one?

Does Windows 7 crash?

Does running the game cause you to get butter fingers and you drop your laptop causing it to "crash" to the floor?

Just wondering. With so many people running VIP .3, I tend to think there maybe something about Windows 7 that is enhancing the problem. I've been known to be wrong before, but that is my thinking at the moment.

Sorry if this has been asked again before .

Could I play a multiplayer game with this mod on Ricky ?

Thanks for answering .

Oh ! And another thing : I have experienced attrition during war on units standing on my side of the border , only during wartime . Any ideas ? Things that came to mind were : the fact that I am a democracy with a high war exhaustion/badboy score , the fact that the enemy has some super tech that enables him to do that , a possible bug .

Any ideas ?

Also ( not sure it belongs here ) : something's fishy with the "fish" resource , even though I have 4-5 provinces which produce fish I have zero fish production . What's up with that ?

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked again before .

Could I play a multiplayer game with this mod on Ricky ?

Thanks for answering .
Yes you can. Just select the VIP:R Multiplayer scenario from the scenario list.
Oh ! And another thing : I have experienced attrition during war on units standing on my side of the border , only during wartime . Any ideas ? Things that came to mind were : the fact that I am a democracy with a high war exhaustion/badboy score , the fact that the enemy has some super tech that enables him to do that , a possible bug .

Any ideas ?
Was it in occupied territory? If so then that can happen. Also, low life rating provinces will cause this.
Also ( not sure it belongs here ) : something's fishy with the "fish" resource , even though I have 4-5 provinces which produce fish I have zero fish production . What's up with that ?
Do you have convoys from them to your capital?

hi,

little question...i have installed a fresh vic + revolutions and then "Victoria Revolutions Unofficial Hotfix 6 (7 Jul 07 includes all previous hotfixes)".
made a learning game and would like to use this mod for my next game.
is it possible to install it over my current game (to be specific: does it work on top of the hotfix 6)?

thanks

Blairmhor

Was it in occupied territory? If so then that can happen. Also, low life rating provinces will cause this.

It happened with me playing as Russia on the ( starting ) Austro-Russian border , in troops stationed in my territory , I didn't check the life ratings , will keep this in mind .

Do you have convoys from them to your capital?

Ok , it was a stupid question , heh , my bad .

Thanks for answering .