• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Developer Diary #11: Developing Banu Haqim

Let's now leap into Banu Haqim, another captivating Vampire clan that the players will encounter in Bloodlines 2. The essence of the Banu Haqim is defined by their mastery of stealth, precision, and a moral code that guides their hidden hand of justice. Our team had a lot of fun in reflecting these properties in their subsequent departments.

Designing modern Banu Haqim for Tabletop
The Banu Haqim (“Assamites” at the time) were one of the first clans to be added to the original assembly in 1991. As such, they were less connected to a vampire archetype out of fiction and instead modelled on the Hashshashin — the Order of Assassins — out of Alamut. In time, they were expanded upon in the setting and incorporated new elements of mysticism and religion, but the core stereotype — the “arab assassin-cultist as vampire” — regrettably remained. Needless to say, they needed some work to align with the design principles of Vampire: The Masquerade’s latest edition.

The concept of a hunter of hunters driven by strong principles or a deep-seated sense of justice does resonate with powerful elements of vampire and vampire-adjacent media. Blade, Angel, and (for those that remember it) Forever Knight all feature vampires seeking redemption by taking the fight to their own, while the very vampire-esque Dexter is a poster child for the concept, as is the Caped Crusader. It is no fluke that the internal shorthand for the Banu Haqim was “clan Batman”.

Thus, while their origins are still the same, the shift in focus has provided the Banu Haqim with a role more easily applied to characters of any background or conviction. Cursed with a hereditary thirst for vampire Blood, the so-called Warriors shackle their impulses to strict codes of conduct, derived from mortal religions, vampiric tenets, or personal creeds. These traits, along with their feared reputation, makes them sought after as soldiers, lawbringers, and — occasionally — assassins in the societies of the night. Yet, the siren song of Kindred vitae perpetually tempts them, and more than one Judge has been tasked with the destruction of one of their own. To be Embraced into the Banu Haqim clan means walking an eternal tightrope, with no end and with nothing to catch you when you fall.
– Karim Muammar, Designer of Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition and Brand Editor for the World of Darkness
Characters_Render_Niko_.png

Niko Angelov
“This vase belonged to a man who promised to visit his mother in hospital but did not. So I ripped out his spleen. Some people really do not know how to behave!”

Niko is wholly committed to living an honest life, to the point of barely being able to keep a single thought to himself.

You can find him at Aurora Pawn surrounded by the trinkets of hapless mortals. He pleases the Court by sourcing rare artifacts and by taking on special tasks for the Prince. Equally, he infuriates the Court by refusing to deviate from using strictly honourable means in all his transactions.

You might find that transparency helpful as you unravel the mysteries of the city, but be warned; he won't keep a secret, not even yours, so choose your words with care.

Writing the Banu Haqim
“One of the most interesting facets of the Banu Haqim is their blue-orange morality. It's a clan that often appeals to seasoned players of the tabletop game because it allows them to challenge themselves with the self-imposed restrictions of their character's unique moral code. This is something we wanted to reflect with Niko; his obsession with absolute truth renders him incapable of being complicit in the back-stabbing nature of Kindred politics, so he must find other ways to make himself useful. His sincerity also makes him vulnerable to the manipulation of the Camarilla, which the player can choose to protect him from... or you could manipulate him yourself, if that's the kind of game you're playing.”
– Cherish Goldstraw, Writer

Combat Discipline Design
“Banu Haqim, alongside Tremere, is our second clan that leans more into stalk within combat. While we’ve tailored Tremere for a slower, more tactical style of play, the Banu Haqim clan’s use of Obfuscation and Celerity make them much better suited to a faster, more confident approach.

The Banu Haqim abilities primarily focus on these two disciplines – the player can silence themselves and others, move impossibly fast, and vanish from sight completely. These can be used at any pace, but they truly shine when used swiftly together, dancing in and out of sight and dispatching opponents quicker than they can react. This makes them ideal for a player who likes to stay hidden, toy with their victim’s senses, and when needed, kill everyone in the room faster than a Tremere could decide their first move.

While we use quite a bit of slo-mo effects across combat, Banu’s version of celerity is its biggest use case - we needed a small subsystem specifically to manage time dilation across gameplay, to allow for its use in combination with other abilities. This has really paid off, I genuinely never get tired of using Banu Haqim’s lethal beheading strike in (almost) stopped time!
– Max Bottomley, Senior Game Designer

What do Banu Haqim sound like?
In our Audio Design for the Banu Haqim clad, I leaned into harnessing the sounds of whispers and wind signifying the clan's predilection for stealth and silent execution. Our department here introduced a use of real-time Audio processing techniques that bring the player's manipulations of time and silence to life. As you use Split Second to slow time you will hear the pings of bullet shells dropping to the floor and strange voices slowed down to really sell the idea of good ol' Bullet Time. We intend to craft a fully immersive experience that comes with moving faster than sound, making every moment a deliberate and calculated dance between predator and prey.
– Marcus Bagshawe, Sound Designer

What do Banu Haqim look like?
“When putting together the aesthetic identity for the Banu Haqim clan in the game, as always with us at The Chinese Room, we started with a rich palette of inspirations and tonnes of brainstorming. A tonne of good stuff ended up on our mood boards - functional aspects of Techwear (Health Goth, utility-based items with a high-end edge), the blend-in quality of corporate attire, and the vibrant, enduring spirit of Modern Persian fashion. These choices reflect a mixture of tradition and modernity, embodying the clan's adaptability and their profound connection to both their heritage and the demands of the modern world.

Banu Haqim’s garments in our game then are as much about form as they are about function – concealment, illusiveness. The ability to quickly disappear into the urban landscape or emerge as a silent avenger is key to the Banu Haqim's visual identity, mirroring their role as the unseen arbiters of justice in the shadow world, their righteousness and role as silent guardians of the vampire society.

Characters_Phyre_Banu02_IHsmol.jpg

Drawing inspiration from iconic figures and settings such as John Wick, Lisbeth Salander from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and the Fremen from Dune, we sought to imbue the Banu Haqim with a sense of concealed danger and an air of mystery. These influences helped shape a look that is both understated and unmistakably potent, emphasizing the clan's themes of elusiveness and intent. Our designs focus on clothing that allows for quick concealment or blending into the background, highlighting the Banu Haqim's proficiency in moving unseen and striking from the shadows.”
– Ben Matthews, Associate Art Director

Banu_PhyreTogether.png

• 7Like
Reactions:
I'm not at all up to date with 5th edition but it looks like a new take on this clan. We'll have to see when the game is released how well it works. I'm hoping it will work well and be a blast to play.

Also from an potentially ignorant position there's no mention of Quietus that I noticed. Has this Discipline been dropped?

Thanks for the information. Now I know what's going on in regards to this topic.

“Stealth, precision and a moral code to guide their hidden hand of justice…”

Another excellent selection and “take,“ for our four initial Vampire Clans.

Keep up the excellent work TCR. :bow:

• 3Haha
Reactions:
@Prussian Havoc
Okay, I've been seeing you posting like this for what feels like Month's now & every time it utterly baffles me. I figure your not a native English speaker, but I do want to ask if you do know that most people's initial reactions to reading how you write make you come off as silly or unserious? Is it normal in your country to :bow: in posts actually? I've mostly seen a lot of negative reactions to your posts & I disagree with a lot of what you write, but I think it's mostly your writing style itself that makes people struggle to take you seriously.

Reactions:
I loved Forever Knight, cool to see it references as an influence.
I gotta say Assamites have always been a clan I've struggled with, they worked as one note villains but lacked the angles to make even a big bad, let alone a PC, good to see the thought put in to updating and adapting them.

Has this Discipline been dropped?
Many previously separated disciplines were merged together in V5 ...

Quietus + Thaumaturgy = Blood Sorcery now ...
Necromancy + Obtenebration = Oblivion now ...
Vicissitude = Protean now ...
Serpentis = Protean now ...
Dementation = Dominate now ...
Chimerstry ... basicaly dont exist by itself anymore ... its Amalgam now.

Reason is up to debate.
(I dont really think there was any official anouncement, but feel free to corect me if there was.)
But personaly i incline to that explanation that since V5 moved protagonists focus to Thin-Bloods ... and since Thin-Bloods mimic regular Disciplines trough their Alchemy, wich requires drop of Blood from full Vampire, who inheritedly had the Dicipline you want to mimic ...
It was simply made this way, so its easier for players to obtain any discipline they want ...
> You dont have to search for Setite in order to turn yourself into snake ... any Gangrel/Tzimisce will surfice ...
> You dont have to search for Lasombra in order to comand shadows ... any Hecata will surfice ...

There is also thing called amalgam, where you can use theese older disciplines, but there are ... a bit different rules for those.

---
a moral code that guides their hidden hand of justice.
I dare to presume this will be pre-dephined for our character aswell? :-/

And dont tell me about dialogue choices people ... but if that is what they are reffering, then how is Asamite different from Brujah? :D
Every-single-person on this worls have "some kind of moral code that leads his decisions" ... if that is what define Banu Haquim ... its just unnecessarily long way to say that they are basic. xD
the core stereotype — the “arab assassin-cultist as vampire” — regrettably remained.
In order to "breat the stereotype" ... as people love so much theese days ... you need to maintain the stereotype, its a thin edge wich "modern most creative people" cannot walk without falling into "lets just forget this even ever existed" pit.

I for one am very glad this (and some others) stereotype remained.

internal shorthand for the Banu Haqim was “clan Batman”.
Eh ... cringe. :-/
I wonder how they would call Gangrels tho.

Niko Angelov
“This vase belonged to a man who promised to visit his mother in hospital but did not. So I ripped out his spleen. Some people really do not know how to behave!”
Surprisingly ... i like this description of a character.

As long as this behaviour will include masquerade breach, wich it certainly is ... i really hope this person is some kind of Anarch in this game, and that this isnt some twisted way to do "oh its by his moral code, so its perfectly fine" in Camarilla ...

blue-orange morality
Its "black and white" ...

It has ben black and white for last few centuries, why there is this weird urge to change everything that never needed changing?
Come on people, those are just colors, dont be affraid of colors, #000000 and #FFFFFF cant hurt you ... -_-

Niko ... His sincerity also makes him vulnerable to the manipulation of the Camarilla
Someone really should tell you that there is cruicial difference between being honest, and being naive or overly thrusting ...
I dont really know how old this Kindred is supposed to be ... but i hope no older than a month. :-/

the Banu Haqim clan’s use of Obfuscation and Celerity make them much better suited to a faster, more confident approach.
Once again i feel like i allready heared this before ...
In talking about Brujah, to be more specific.

We intend to craft a fully immersive experience that comes with moving faster than sound
I really hope not ...
Have you talked with any pilot who ever breached the speed of sound?
Do you have any idea what that does? AND HOW FREAKING LOUD IT IS WHEN IT DOES?

Think about it, do you homework.

When putting together the aesthetic identity for the Banu Haqim clan in the game
I just feel the urge to say that this sentence feels much better than "how does look" we have seen in Brujah preview.

Our designs focus on clothing that allows for quick concealment or blending into the background, highlighting the Banu Haqim's proficiency in moving unseen and striking from the shadows.

View attachment 1118446
"Blending into the background" ? o_O

I mean ... concidering theese four outfits ...
Our Asamite would be perfectly able to blend in between homelesses ... bunch of poser wannabeedgy people from IT department ... higher society (this one is really good) ... and Lady Gaga personal wardrobe or something?

Seriously tho ... maybe this is my limited point of view, since we in mid Europe are nowhere near to bisare things i sometimes see on Twitter from America, but can you really, and i mean REALLY REALLY ... imagine that person on the right walking the streets "blending in the background" ? :D

• 2Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Niko Angelov
I'm sorry, but this quote is just... so bad. I'm correct to assume that this is a line from the actual game, right?

I remember there being a similar quote attributed to the old Tremere woman from a previous dev diary. When writing different characters it's important to differentiate their language and speech patterns so it doesn't become painfully obvious that everything has been written by the same person. If this is indeed representative of the writing in the game, then it reeks of fanfiction.net levels of "quirkiness." It's OK for a character to be serious. We don't need to end every line we write with a wink or a joke.

Aside from that, the dev diaries are full of errors. The above quote is missing "the" in "in the hospital," as a quick example. It's also really difficult to take the writing seriously when the credited writers don't seem to understand how commas work with dependent and independent clauses.

Here's another example of how lazily the diaries are written:

"He's solid, is Silky, the one you want on your side, clear-sighted and unimpressed by the posturing and drama of the establishment."

That's directly from Latest News - Dev Diary 9. I don't have anything against freelance writers, but I do think outsourcing the writing to a freelancer shows how little TCR has prioritized the dialogue and narrative.

Reactions:
@Prussian Havoc
Okay, I've been seeing you posting like this for what feels like Month's now & every time it utterly baffles me. I figure you’re not a native English speaker, but I do want to ask if you do know that most people's initial reactions to reading how you write make you come off as silly or unserious? Is it normal in your country to :bow: in posts actually? I've mostly seen a lot of negative reactions to your posts & I disagree with a lot of what you write, but I think it's mostly your writing style itself that makes people struggle to take you seriously.
Born and raised in the Great State of Pennsylvania, USA.

What seems to have baffled you?

Let us review:

IMG_2306.jpeg

Nope. That is all very clear and easily understood.

As to my enthusiasm for Bloodlines 2 and approval for how The Chinese Room has been developing Bloodlines 2… nothing is likely to change any time soon. :bow:

oh! The bowing. It’s a choice. A choice to show respect… and no, I don’t expect it to be returned. Though I am pleased when the respect itself is reciprocated.

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm sorry, but this quote is just... so bad. I'm correct to assume that this is a line from the actual game, right?

I remember there being a similar quote attributed to the old Tremere woman from a previous dev diary. When writing different characters it's important to differentiate their language and speech patterns so it doesn't become painfully obvious that everything has been written by the same person. If this is indeed representative of the writing in the game, then it reeks of fanfiction.net levels of "quirkiness." It's OK for a character to be serious. We don't need to end every line we write with a wink or a joke.

Aside from that, the dev diaries are full of errors. The above quote is missing "the" in "in the hospital," as a quick example. It's also really difficult to take the writing seriously when the credited writers don't seem to understand how commas work with dependent and independent clauses.

"He's solid, is Silky, the one you want on your side, clear-sighted and unimpressed by the posturing and drama of the establishment."

That's directly from Latest News - Dev Diary 9. I don't have anything against freelance writers, but I do think outsourcing the writing to a freelancer shows how little TCR has prioritized the dialogue and narrative.
Being 'in hospital' is British English.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Being 'in hospital' is British English.
Oh, OK, and that lines up with the game taking place in
*checks notes*
Seattle.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here. Maybe it will be revealed in the game that Niko Angelov actually grew up in England and that's why he says "in hospital." Until proven otherwise, however, I find it more likely that the writer didn't put that much thought into it and wrote it like that because they themselves are from the UK.

Reactions:
So, this is nice and all that, but how about showing us something other than world building and combat once in a while? A bit of overworld traversal perhaps, a few minor NPC interactions, a bit of exploration perhaps. You know, the kind of things that the series is known for. I know you got some kind of schedule, but if you wanna tease us, tease us! I bet not even @Prussian Havoc would mind some of that!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Its "black and white" ...

It has ben black and white for last few centuries, why there is this weird urge to change everything that never needed changing?
Come on people, those are just colors, dont be affraid of colors, #000000 and #FFFFFF cant hurt you ... -
You misunderstood the text because you were not familiar with this expression and didn't bother to search it.
What did you expect people to use Blue and Orange morality to mean Black and White morality?
It's true that for people who don't visit Tv Trope often, they could have provided a link to explain what Blue and Orange morality means.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Gotta echo this. To me, the better and more appropriate way for this vamp to do exactly what he says on the tin would be something more like, "He didn't visit his mother in the hospital... So I beat him until he had a bed next to hers." Shouldn't come with a Masquerade violation, gets the point across, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You misunderstood the text because you were not familiar with this expression and didn't bother to search it.
Yes.

And this didnt help me at all. :(
Well ... nevermind. ;) Nobody needs to know everything.

What did you expect people to use Blue and Orange morality to mean Black and White morality?
I believe that should be obvious.

don't visit Tv Trope often
I dont even know what this is to be honest.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
@RagnarokCzD

And this didnt help me at all. :(
Well ... nevermind. ;) Nobody needs to know everything.
Basically it means “People who don't share the usual morality, and instead follow a moral code that is different and weird".

I believe that should be obvious.
It's not, that's why I asked.

(There is a bug when I want to use the normal quote system)

Reactions:
Basically it means “People who don't share the usual morality, and instead follow a moral code that is different and weird".

That actually makes sense. :)
Thanks.

It's not, that's why I asked.
I dont know what to say, other than what i allready said ...
People theese days shy from using word "black" in the public ... especialy in combination with "white" ...

Not really sure why ... maybe its one of effects of overzealous bots who concider any perfectly normal conversation to be potentialy harmfull (most likely racist in this particular case), just bcs it uses "wrong keywords" ... dont know, dont really care ... still, as a non-native speaker (if i even can be called speaker at all, since level of by english is ... well, you see what it is) i find it quite anoying that i need to decode messages, just bcs people are trying to express something that might be concidered wrong if told openly, but they feel the urge to say it anyway.

(There is a bug when I want to use the normal quote system)
There is several bugs lately ...
Im unable to edit my posts, so if there is any typo ... too bad i gues. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
People theese days shy from using word "black" in the public ... especialy in combination with "white" ...
I've... not noticed that trend. I mean, how can you explain Italian history if you can't explain the differences and fight between white Guelphs and black Guelphs???

Reactions: