• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Late game, is fire pips oriented cavalry still inferior if you have high fire/low shock generals? For example in my Netherlands game I have a 4 fire/0 shock general. Won't carbineer be just better in this case than uhlan ?
It's good question.

First thing - for purpose of calculations, you can assume that cavalry in army led by that general have +4 fire pips in all categories (So Carabineers will become 6/5 while Uhlans will be 5/6). Now let's take a look what fire damage modifier is at the period for that cavalry -> 1.0 - let's multiply it by what military tactics actually do - only 33,(3)% of actual damage modifier counts (assuming standard mil tactics, no increase due to discipline for purpose of calculations). That means that one pip actually have value of 0,33 in terms of offensive. Not that much. While he'll be probably at the same time under fire from enemy unit AND backrow artillery. Artillery damage will deal much more damage due to the modifier, which is why defensive fire pip will help to mitigate more damage, than you would actually deal in the fire phase. And If you'll look into my explanation - I mentioned where is the situation I would consider carabineers better. However in most cases it's safer to stick to Uhlans.

Last edited:
And artillery update is here! :)

Also I would like to thank Wiz, for some clarifications.

A nice guide, and subscribed to your youtube. Criminally underrated sub wise!

Thanks for sharing.

That's really nice thing to hear. Thanks! :)

So half a year i was told i didnt matter squat what units you took
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/unit-pips-i-dont-get-it.856901/
Guess something have changed?

Haven't changed. Choice matters, but, with units on the same level having usually just pip moved here or there, difference is smaller and rarely choice is BAD. But optimal or better choices can still be done, and this guide will help with that. :) (I hope I'll not confuse, but I'm tired today - and my brain doesn't work the best way now :D)

Reactions:
Awesome as always. And of course, I subscribed to your channel, it is criminally undersubbed. Good work, mate. :D

"Houfnice and Large Cast Bronze Mortars do the same damage fire phase wise, but Houfnice have offensive morale pip while their counterpart have defensive morale pip."

That is incorrect, it is actually the other way round.

"Houfnice and Large Cast Bronze Mortars do the same damage fire phase wise, but Houfnice have offensive morale pip while their counterpart have defensive morale pip."

That is incorrect, it is actually the other way round.
You're right. Correcting it now. My brain must had some shortcut ;)

What about Blue and White Coat army? I always use Blue, what do you think about two of them?

White Coats are in my opinion inferior to Frederickan Infantry, while both have offensive fire value of 4, White Coats have defensive morale pip instead of offensive as Frederickans. Frederickans not only deal more damage in fire phase (compared to other units, except White Coats), they also break enemy units faster due to more morale pips. Blue Coats, could be considered if you have a lot of morale, but then, still Frederickans are better choice -> more casaulties in fire phase -> more morale damage than Blue Coats. In my opinion Blue Coats are also inferior to the rest of choices at this 'tier'.

Sorry it took me so long to reply :)

Ok, with one or two small corrections for now, PDF (beta) version is also uploaded here - as attached file, or you can check it alternatively on and download from dropbox, to do so - click HERE

First post will also contain the pdf file and link to it.

And if you have suggestions or ideas, what guides would you like to see next (and in what form), let me know :)

Attachments

• Zwirbaum's unit guide.pdf
    750,2 KB · Views: 130
Reactions:
I made an excel sheet from the first two posts but thanks so much for the pdf. This is really useful especially now that westernization no longer changes unit groups.

I made an excel sheet from the first two posts but thanks so much for the pdf. This is really useful especially now that westernization no longer changes unit groups.

No problem, I'm glad to help and that it happened to be useful :)

I'm sorry to necro a 7 year old thread, but I felt this was the best place to have this discussion. @Zwirbaum I'm not sure if you are are still playing EU4, but your unit guide has been like a bible to me and I'm sure many other community members, who I've seen still linking to it as recently as 2021. The recent 1.33 France update has made changes to combat in EU3, affecting morale shock and fire. Did you have any plans to update your amazing guide? And if not, is it possible another community member could use your guide as a base template and update it with your permission?

Thank you for your incredibly detailed and helpful guide!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm sorry to necro a 7 year old thread, but I felt this was the best place to have this discussion. @Zwirbaum I'm not sure if you are are still playing EU4, but your unit guide has been like a bible to me and I'm sure many other community members, who I've seen still linking to it as recently as 2021. The recent 1.33 France update has made changes to combat in EU3, affecting morale shock and fire. Did you have any plans to update your amazing guide? And if not, is it possible another community member could use your guide as a base template and update it with your permission?

Thank you for your incredibly detailed and helpful guide!
Not sure his initial analysis took into account that fire/shock pips didn't affect morale damage so might not be anything to update on that account. Possibly there have been unit pip changes since then though that would need to be checked.