• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Let's watch the spammy-like requests for an update. One or two should do fine until Farq is ready to return (which I know we all hope will be soon.) Thanks. :)

coz1 said:
Let's watch the spammy-like requests for an update. One or two should do fine until Farq is ready to return (which I know we all hope will be soon.) Thanks. :)

Coz I didn't quite catch what happened to Farq. He has been active in August so I sent him a PM. But Maybe you're informed better than I?

Deus said:
Coz I didn't quite catch what happened to Farq. He has been active in August so I sent him a PM. But Maybe you're informed better than I?
Unfortunately, I am no more informed than anyone else. I sure hope all is well with him. He's been known to take some time off before without word and then return. Doesn't bode well for this AAR, I am sad to say, since I don't recall him finishing one after taking such time. The bright side is, when Farq returns, he usually starts a new one. So there is definitely that to look forward to. :)

Bad Santa said:
What is this all about?

Actually, it was about the lack of any posts or anything for a week, coupled with the fact that this great AAR has been effectiely comatose for months. In my experience, posting a long string of echoes usually brings in dozens of posts within a few hours, because whenever a subscribed forumite then goes to the User Control Panel, this string comes up in nice big bold font.

In other words, I was getting bored with this, so I tried to revive it. It worked.

I hope Farq continues this, but I can't really point fingers because I usually lose interest in something wheen I'm away for too long, too.

Well, I think it's time I posted a reply here, and let me warn everyone first of all that this is NOT AN UPDATE... As various people have observed, I have been somewhat inactive on the forums for several months, but there is no sinister reason for this other than that I have simply been "taking some time off" as coz1 suggested. I was only alerted to the recent string of update requests by Deus' PM (the four day delay being because the e-mail address I had in my profile I don't even check that often - I've now changed it). The bad news is that, as coz1 helpfully warned, there is little chance of this AAR being resurrected. I'm afraid it's true that I've never succeeded in restarting an AAR that I've stopped writing for more than a couple of weeks. What has in fact happened is that I couldn't get motivated to get back into the game, nor indeed to even begin another game of EU3. I'm wondering if there is something fundamental about EU3 that's putting me off. I am currently playing a game of EU2 (Tibet) and greatly enjoying it. This happened to me when I'd been playing CK for a while - I lost interest and went back to EU2. I am wondering if there's something about the "dynamic game" concept that puts me off and drives me back constantly to EU2. Has anyone else found that? Don't get me wrong, I think EU3 is a great game, with many improvements on EU2. But paradoxically ( :rolleyes: ) I personally still seem to find EU2 more playable.

All that to say that we should probably lay this AAR to rest, with my apologies as always to those who have followed it faithfully and posted innumerable positive comments even when I had long been silent. As I've said before, I do think such supportive readAARs deserve better! And also to warn that if I begin another AAR (not imminently however), it will most likely be a return to EU2.

First of all, welcome back to the forums, Farq :)

Secondly, it looks like I came across this one a tad too late, which is probably due to the fact that I don't check up on EU3 AARs very often, but this one looks to be really promising from the first page or so that I've read (although it's a real shame that you've decided to abandon it :( ).

Thirdly, on that subject... Don't feel too bad about it. We can understand how difficult it can be to pick something up after a long time or after losing interest in it (or both), and of course if your heart's not in the work, it'll show in the finished product. As I mentioned above, I'm a tad disappointed that this one won't be properly finished, but that doesn't mean that I won't still try to read the rest of it :) I'd also enjoy seeing a new AAR by you.

As I seem to say a lot to AAR writers these days, "Keep up the good work!" ;)

Welcome back, Farq, first of all.

Second of all, don't feel bad about stopping this- I'm not too disappointed. The thing is, most of the Zaporozhie-specific jokes ("sich" puns, Pyggy jokes, etc.) are used up by now. The other jokes, which were even funnier, could have come from just about any game, so I don't mind leaving the Ukraine and heading for Tibet or whatever destination your next AAR is written from. I'm just glad it is officially over, so I can stop paying attention to the thread and wait for the next one.

Not that ANYONE here would pressure you to start another AAR or anything :D

Amob_m_s said:
Not that ANYONE here would pressure you to start another AAR or anything :D
Of course not. The Horse head you'll recieve will be totally unrelated. And remember to follow the words of wisdom in my sig. ;)

Atomic Lodoss said:
Is eu3 a more complex game to play than eu2? I haven't bought it yet and was just wondering.

Depends on what aspect you look at. I think they are about the same, but in different ways. However, the main differences are:

Open-endedness: This is a double-edged sword. It allows any nation to potentially achieve almost anything, with less history-specific events and more generic events. It adds replayability to EU3, but then again each nation tends to have less individuality, they all play about the same. It also adds some absurdity: in my Inca game, by 1460 Lithuanians were sailing all over the planet. But, if you want a game where it truly feels like you have a brand new history, then EU3 is where it's at.

Downsizing: In EU2, tiny nations could field armies in the tens of thousands. In EU3, each regiment is an investment. Playing a smaller nation, I tend not to keep a standing army, or at most 1 regiment, because they are expensive to build and maintain.

General feel/interface: I personally like EU2 graphics better than EU3's 3D map- fighting on a 2d map seems to add flavor, like you are a general actually looking at a map. The 3d was basically just a gimmick, so that the screenshots would look good and draw in the 15-25 age group to EU3. Also, I have never had any problems with graphics in prior Paradox games, but especially since the 1.3 patch EU3 graphics have been very buggy, for example instead of proper 3d ships about 25% of the time I get glowing arab soldiers fighting on the water. The interface is the same: EU3 feels more, well, modern, which is not always a good thing when trying to be historical. But the artwork in the EU3 backgrounds is great, I must say.

Well Farq, have fun playing EU2. I'm looking forward to any future stuff from you if you ever make an AAR again. Thanks for this one.

Well, it was a good run while it lasted. Thanks for the (sich) memories, and best of luck with whatever you do next.

Saw, laughed, saw it was ended. Sad to have been away so long.

We always return to EUII, it is the mother of all games.

DW