• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Tatars may not make very good Cossacks, but I'll bet their skin makes very good cassocks.

As for the port, well, it's kind of hard for horses to fight on the water, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. ;)

crazypeltast52 said:
correction, the children of Tatars and cossacks make good cossacks, but only after they renounce their Tatar heritage
or it is never told to them...

Bah. You didn't get it.

Make=produce. It's a pun.

Wow! Cossacks with a navy, can you imagine how far you can spread sichness now?
http://photo.unian.net/eng/detail/6145.html

http://www.speakeasy.invisionzone.com/lofiversion/index.php/t8047.html

Cossacks are just as good on boats as they are on horses! The Persians, Turks and just about anyone should be very scared of the cossack Chaikas, especially after you beat the Sultan.

Last edited:
That went well. A successful war against the Turk and a port for your admiral. What more could a Cossack want from life?
(Well apart from another spy to replace the one who somehow escaped the piranhas when no-one was looking... ;))
A bit worried about your Hetman's injury, though. Hope he rides agoin soon.

Good news, another war won and a job well done. The empire is growing again and I think those Ottomans didn’t put up much of a fight, maybe in the future you can continue expanding into their provinces…

Snake IV: Regarding stubborn AI and peace offers, I can't remember exactly what my WS was, I think 34%, and Crimea was 24%, something like that. And I think they had refused the offer once already, but accepted it the second time round. Even Turks can be sensible at times it seems.

PrawnStar: Hmm… Tatar as an accepted culture in Zaporozhie? What grim vision of the future is this?? But perhaps they can be Cossackified, or "siched up" as we say in the trade… :eek:o

Duke of Wellington: Oops - no offence meant to Tatars in general of course. But the fact is, when all's said and done, there are Tatars who Khan, and Tatars who can't. These were definitely the latter…

crazypeltast52: Yes, another pithy summation of the Cossack ethos - "beholden to nothing and no-one". :cool:

Chief Ragusa: Alas, Kaffa has by now been utterly desecrated by Sunni Tatars, and there is not a shred left of its once proud Greek past. The nearest Orthodox provinces in the OE are (Romanian) Bessarabia in the west and (Georgian) Georgia in the east. Liberating provinces from the Turk is not going to be as profitable as expanding west or north I fear, but someone has to do it I suppose. :rolleyes:

stnylan: Yes, I'm very pleased about having a port, even if I can't actually build ships in it for now (non-core province). I thought of seeking out the New World and spreading a little sichness around there, but somehow it just doesn't seem like a Cossackly thing to do.

RGB: First you have to persuade the Cossacks to marry Tatars. I'm not saying sixteenth century Cossacks were at all racist or anything but…

Judas Maccabeus: Quite right - who needs ships when you have horses?

JaxomCA: We shall spread our glorious sichness to infinity… and beyond! And with ships it will of course be sea-sichness… :eek:

RGB: Now those are very interesting links. Clearly there is a naval tradition to build up here. Sea-sichness rules! :D

J.Passepartout: Yes, I am rather worried about you. At least you didn't get onto the sauce theme. :rolleyes:

merrick: Yes, where did that spy go? Slippery customer… Incidentally, in case anyone thought bringing in James Bond was just another ridiculous Farquharson-esque anachronism, I actually discovered in my extensive (*cough*) researches that James Bond was actually based on the enigmatic "Sidney Reilly", who, according to one theory, was actually from the city of Kherson, which my army just happened to be advancing on when the first spy was discovered. Coincidence? I think not…

Lord E: Quite honestly I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to beat the Turks - much easier than the Poles, that's for sure. And with every province gained my manpower and army limit gets steadily bigger. :)

Well, I've played a little more but uneventful stuff. No updates imminent therefore, but stay tuned!

Well after you have liberated Kaffa, you can re-introduce Greek culture. properly siched. Re-introduce by taking people from Bessarabia and Georgia.

If you fulfil your historical Cossacky destiny, you will conquer the whole of Siberia only to find it populated by Tatars (those who Khan't) and onto Alaska populated by Indians.

Soon to be a major 9-province state Zaporozhie is.

Chief Ragusa: Those seem like some pretty interesting plans - I will do my best to implement them.

Meanwhile I am in need of some general advice. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a mistake to install 1.2. I have just sat through ten years straight without being in a single war. I've been able to boost my economy by fiddling with sliders and sending merchants but I'm wondering where it's all going to go. Of course I have no CBs on anyone, while Lithuania and the Ottomans have CBs on me. I could declare war without a CB but I strongly suspect Russia would abandon me and I'd be quickly flattened. Any suggestions anyone??

As long as Russia (muscovy) continues to ally with you, you're not on their menu. They will be involved in wars. You should have cores added, though you'd probably welcome having the provinces you've gained turn into cores for you. Peace for that length of time coould just be an aberration.

I think you will find that if you do declare on either country, Russia will honour. Ride to glory.

Manufacture a CB, with fabricate claims. I doubt Russia will honor if you declare war on Poland, cb or not.

Do you feel like moving east and turning into a an orthodox mongol state? Imagine Cossacks renovating the Emperor's palace in Beijing, after travelling overland for the whole trip.

Do you feel like becoming THE Eastern European power, by absorbing the Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth? A Cossack nation, from baltic to black sea.

What if the Cossacks become the landlords of mother Russia? What about the mantle of the byzantine emperor?

If none of these appeal to you, then I guess spreading sichness via colonies is the only other way.

Apologies for the slight delay in replying - I have been a bit busy for the last few days and haven't been on the forum much.

crazypeltast52: Good idea - I had forgotten about this new feature (fabricate claims). Although to be honest DoWing without CB wouldn't worry me too much as long as the Russians join in. I don't exactly have a BB problem at this stage, which is rather shameful for a Cossack Hetman to admit, of course... :eek:o

Judas Maccabeus: Ahem, yes. Point taken!

Chief Ragusa: That certainly encourages me - so let us see what befalls!

JaxomCA: Errr... Well, some nice ideas there for the long-term, but I was kind of looking for some more short-term options...

Randomosity: The Turks? Or the Pyggies? Perhaps what I need is a spot of randomosity myself... ;)

Farquharson said:
Errr... Well, some nice ideas there for the long-term, but I was kind of looking for some more short-term options...

Exactly. You never know when they may want to elect another Hetman.

But as for long-term and short-term options, Basurmane, Lahi, Tatary and Moskali, in that order. Who else is there?

sabres.gif

10th January 1590, The Sich

What? You want to know what has been happening these past thirteen years? No you don't. I can assure you, you don't want to hear about it. Merchants! We sent lots of merchants to Novgorod and Constantinople and Lübeck. Pah! Women's talk! Who wants to know about that? Ah, the tedium of the Sich these days!

merchant.jpg

A wool merchant on his way to Constantinople - this guy needs to GET A LIFE!

Oh, we've had two Hetman elections, which broke the boredom momentarily. Ivan, it turned out, had somewhat understated his injuries - the man had lost both his legs! Well of course there were the usual tasteless jokes about his being "no more legless than he usually was of an evening." But he could hardly continue to lead our glorious nation in that condition, so in 1578 we elected Pavlo I, Hetman of Zaporozhie. Turned out to be a bit of a namby so he got the heave three years later and since 1581 we've had Bogdan V at the helm. No-one seems to remember anything about the first four Bogdans, but this one is the business. Military leader and all - let's hope he can keep his legs.

Speaking of which, you'll have noticed the total absence of any reference to fighting, warfare, military action, etc. This of course is what is really making sich life tedious. So I confronted Bogdan last week and laid it on the line - either we go to war within the year or I quit. Well, it turns out he was of a similar mind himself.

You'll recall our last war, with the Despicable Infidel Turks. After we'd taken Crimea off them our friend Yuriy fought on for several more years then finally agreed to a white peace in the end - a total wimp that one. Now we have Tsar Pyotr I on the throne in Moscow - military type, in the same mould as our Bogdan, which of course bodes rather better for the coming war.

Question is, who should we fight? Well, we're not exactly spoilt for choice. Two options, basically. First there's old Hairybutt, still ruling Pyggyland to the west, and his sidekick Zygmantas I on the throne of Lithuania. Second there's His Despicableness Sultan Ibrahim II and his hordes of infidel Turks. I suggested tossing a coin. Heads it's Hairybutt, tails it’s the Turk. "Good idea, General", he says, "That's exactly what I appreciate in a military mind such as your own - a nice piece of strategic thinking." So right there and then he pulls out a coin and tosses it.

"Heads it is - Hairybutt, here we come!"

Last edited: