• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And I've seen at least one other similar result later in the war. Anyone know what causes it? A bug? The battle only lasted two days, and the enemy had at least three provinces to retreat to, so it wasn't that.
You've probably got a better leader, better dice roll, some kind of terrain bouns and, obviously, better troops. In such conditions, a 7 vs. 310 result is perfectly obtianable. IIRC, the game now checks conditions for auto destruction of armies (1:10 relation between force strenghts) after every battle. This would then produce results like those you've seen.

Good luck fighting Ottomans. If they ever come to a conclusion that the quickest way into Russia leads through Zaporozhie, you will be in trouble.

Maciek

Ah yes, the old "send a thousand men to die" ploy just to see what they are facing...very much like the Turk, I've noticed. ;) Actually, too many countries do that. It's very strange and not very realistic. At least you get to fight someone this time, though. There's that to look forward to. :D

An epic battle indeed, what a victory that must have been I guess the big, evil emperor is scared now just waiting your arrival in Constantinople. Press forward and defeat the evil Turks :)

JaxomCA said:
Sharpen those pencil, or whatever the english name is for plume.

Pen.

Although, knowing the sophistication level of the Cossacks, "pencil" might be more accurate. Or "crayon" (as in English, not in French. :p ).

Farquharson said:
Yes, it's wedding bells time again. It seems our esteemed Hetman Ivan has managed to get himself hitched with a Russian Tsarina. We were all very envious, especially when we heard she was also a wrestling champion and owned a pondful of pet piranhas.
<snork>

Go Cossacks, and best of luck against the Turk. Don't get too carried away with the first success though - Empires have been known to strike back. ;)

A quill? Yes. That's what everyone used back then.

stnylan: Hmm... If the Sultan has just been sending his enemies over to be slaughtered, he sure has a lot of enemies! :D

Duke of Wellington: Hey, these are Turks we're talking about. To a Cossack you might as well ask if he checked the age and sex of an ant before he squished it!

RGB: "like a force of nature" - I like that! :D

mlepkows: Well, that kind of makes sense to explain the almost instant annihilation of the Turks. I also have a screenshot of the second time it happened, this time the starting odds were a mere 4 to 1 and the battle lasted only one day, although I did lose 23 men that time! It certainly seems like good generals can make a huge difference - I am in fact four points behind the Turks in land tech (9 to 13).

JaxomCA: Well, I'm not sure I'd be allowed to post the precise wording of that finely crafted document... :eek:

J.Passepartout: I'm looking forward to your poem! ;)

Chief Ragusa: I will do my best! The danger of fighting on for too long and trying to grab more is that Yuriy will leap in with peace offer that gives me nothing! :mad:

valzoz_p94: That's the general idea! It's also doing wonders for my prestige and army tradition.

coz1: Yes, this war was certainly more eventful than the Kazan charade, no doubt about it!

Lord E: I never quite reached Constantinople, but I did my best...

Judas Maccabeus et al: Well, to clear the matter up, in Ilya Repin's painting, the writing instrument preferred by the Cossacks when writing to the Sultan is quite clearly a quill pen. Another piece of trivia - the scribe who is holding the quill is in fact a portrait of the Ukrainian historian Yavornytsky, a contemporary and close friend of Repin.

merrick: Thanks for that word of warning. But we have our sabres at the ready!

Well, I am preparing the next update, which should be up later today. Thanks to all for reading and posting!

sabres.gif

April 26th 1576, Siege of Kherson

Ten weeks into the war and all is going according to plan. While our Hetman Ivan has been mustering four thousand infantry back at the Sich, I have been conducting operations in the province of Kherson. The Turks have put up some feeble resistance, and paid for it dearly. The city is under siege, and reports have just arrived from Ivan that he has pushed back the Turks in Crimea as well, and has now reached the former capital of the Crim Tatars, the cave city of Bakhchisaray.

Yes, I'm afraid the native population of these regions seems to be mainly Tatars as well. Of course, this may explain the Turks' apparently half-hearted attempts to defend them - perhaps they secretly wish we would take the land and its wretched inhabitants off their hands?

It all makes me wonder if the despicable Turks are even more devious than we imagined. In fact while we were on the march to Kherson we caught an enemy agent red-handed trying to infiltrate our ranks. He was obviously a spy hoping to discover the secret of our invincible armies. Well I soon gave him what he wanted to know in simple terms that even a Turk could understand: "Why are our armies so invincible? BECAUSE WE'RE NOT TURKS WE'RE COSSACKS!" However he denied everything, including the fact that he himself was Turkish. Subsequent interrogation failed to extract anything from him. In the end we gave up and simply packed the stubborn wretch off to the Sich as a tidbit for Olga's piranhas.

bond-caught.jpg

A spy from an unknown country has been discovered - he even spoke in an unknown language

sabres.gif

September 27th 1576, Siege of Suceava

These infidels don't give up easily, I can tell you! Wave after wave of them came up from Bessarabia to try and drive us away from Kherson. Futile, of course, but displaying impressive perseverance. Then in August the city finally surrendered and we moved on into Bessarabia, drove out the Turks, and put the city of Suceava under siege. That battle was the first one where we suffered significant losses - over 700 brave Cossack riders left dead on the field of battle.

There is worrying news from Ivan too. He had recklessly pursued a defeated Turkish army south to Kaffa and was trying to maintain two sieges at once, but the filthy heathens fell upon him and drove him back to Crimea.

battle-kaffa-1576.jpg

At least the Russians seem to be making satisfactory progress over in the east. They have occupied Lugansk and are awaiting the surrender of Azow. I should think so too - after all, it was them who started the war. Luckily there is plenty of Turkish Delight to go round so there hasn't been any unpleasant bickering over who gets what so far.

sabres.gif

February 5th 1577, Bessarabia

We now have the province of Bessarabia subdued, and the Crim Tatars of Bakhchisaray also surrendered a month ago bringing Crimea under our control. It seems like it is time to make the Sultan an offer before Yuriy steps in and spoils our fun. But how to persuade the fat slug to part with a piece of his precious Empire? Even a piece that is inhabited only by witless Crim Tatars? Well, that is a problem for our esteemed Hetman to sort out.

He has other problems too. He suffered a grievous wound last month while courageously charging a Turkish regiment. Apparently he forgot that the rest of his army was on foot and quite unable, try as they might, to keep up with him.

ivans-charge.jpg

Still, once he reached the enemy lines he managed to fend off the infidel rabble single-handed until his own troops arrived, but alas I fear he may not be able to ride again for some time, if at all. We have therefore promoted another General to take his place, a man by the name of Kostomarov. He is planning to advance to Kaffa once more when the infidels give him a chance.

sabres.gif

May 18th 1577, Bessarabia

Well that's what's known in the trade as a job well done.

1577-peace-turks.jpg

The goal of the war was of course territorial expansion at the expense of the Despicable Infidel Turks. Alas none of the Turkish-occupied provinces bordering our glorious Hetmanate contained anything but Crim Tatars, so it was our fate from the outset to be saddled with a certain number of these worthless specimens of humanity on conclusion of a successful peace deal. We can take pride in the fact that we have annexed the most prosperous province which bordered our homeland, the salt-producing region of Crimea.

We also now have access to the Black Sea, a fact about which Admiral Rheticus is positively ecstatic. We had to break the news to him, however, that the Crim Tatars, being utterly gormless, are totally unable to manufacture ships for us. We will work on this problem. Meanwhile I take comfort in the fact that the Host came within perhaps a hundred miles of Constantinople without the aid of any ships at all.

All that remains now is to wait and see what our new Tsar makes of this war. Oh yes, I didn't mention the sad passing of Yuriy V in March. He has been succeeded by his son Vasiliy III, the new Tsar of All the Russias (except the Zaporozhian one, of course). So far his armies have not demonstrated any great expertise at Turk-bashing, but since they are not Cossacks this is hardly surprising.

Last edited:
I would have expected that with 1.2.1 and stubborn peace AIs it woudl be hard for you to convince the Turks to give away anything. Well, even the AI seems to be wise enough to fear Zaporozhie

You'll have to be careful you don't get too many Tatars or they might end up as an accepted culture :eek:

You'll soon be able to liberate Kaffa and the city of Theodorus and some nice educated Greeks. Your Hetman nearly died and this has to be a worrying sign. Keeping Hetman out of battle though is much like trying to keep a new husband from his bride.

But now at least you have a port!

Hey, Tatars make good cossacks. The female ones. After the Cossacks marry them.