• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by nalivayko
A lot of thanks to you, Languish :) Lords of Horizons was one of my favorites and Al-Andalus only ended because of an ungly crash. I did start another game with it and managed to conquer all of Iberia, but I'd never have guts to attempt it again :D What else... welcome and enjoy. I would love to come back to my old way of writing, but there are two reasons why it's different now. First, this is Ukraine we are talking about :) Second, this style seems to generate more replies. And any aar writer needs those to write like one would need air to breathe.

It was a shame about Al-Andalus… it was extremely promising from what I read of it :(

With regards to generating more replies I think that depends on many factors not just the writing style. For me, with regards to this AAR, its principally because I have read all of your previous AAR's so, although this is slightly different, it is still being written by a writer I know. I generally prefer a more summarised AAR but I am easy going either way. I guess if it something dear to you (ala, the Ukraine) then it of course changes things entirely :). It's been excellent so far!

I am planning to start my own AAR fairly shortly and I think you may recognise the way it is presented ;)

Damn! Petro and Johann are stuck in Smyrna...this ought to be interesting....Let's see, how shall I extricate them? Man, that update was wonderful! Inspiring, even! I shall have to think of something.....<thinks furiously>

Johann and Petro slipped away in the darkness as the Turk searched the field for survivors. Johann had to forcibly restrain Petro from taking horses. Such would alert the infidel that there were survivors to this titanic battle. That would not do. The two men slithered on their bellies over a hill and down before reaching a small stream.

“Now what?” Petro asked.

“We keep going,” Johann replied,” We’ll finish our escape and make our way back to the Wild Fields.”

“I guess we’d better start heading east,” Petro sighed, turning that way.

“Nope.”

“What is ‘nope’?” Petro queried.

“It means we are not going east,” Johann answered.

“Ivan, in what direction do you propose we go, then?”

“West, of course,” Johann grinned.

Petro looked at his friend askance,” Excuse me? There are Turks to the west.”

“Exactly.”

“Explain.”

“They will be looking for us, or any other survivors in every direction, except the west. Only a madman would go deeper into the Turkish realm.”

“They are right. You are a madman,” Petro declared.

“Perhaps. Do you remember the Greek Merchants near the port?”

“The ones who got through the gates before we arrived? I remember them. So what?”

“They are going to be ever so helpful in our crossing the Bospherus Strait,” Johann smiled.

“And why would they want to help us?” Petro glared at the wily Swede.

Johann gestured to their golden accoutrements,” We can pay them well, that is why.”

“You wish for me to give up my ornaments?” Petro snapped,” You must be mad!”

“I suppose you prefer an unmarked grave, courtesy of the Turk?” Johann stretched and popped his neck.

“I hate when you do that,” Petro said,” But I have taken your point. How do we get to the Greeks?”

“We’ll follow this stream until we hit the coast. Then we will travel to the port. Fortunately this stream deepens and widens soon.”

“How is that fortunate?”

“Gather some strong reeds as we go, and I will explain when we get to the proper point.”

The two walked along for fifteen minutes before jogging for fifteen minutes, and then running for fifteen minutes, back to a jog for fifteen minutes, and back to a walk for fifteen minutes. It was a ground eating pace and one that quickly put the Turk behind them.

Before long the stream did indeed widen and deepen. The two men had gathered numerous reeds. A recent storm had wreaked havoc with the nearby copse of trees. Johann and Petro gathered some decent sized branches and wove the reeds between them to build a makeshift raft.

“So we will travel down this to the coast. Good plan, Ivan. Then what?”

“According to the map we will then be about five miles from the port. We’ll walk to the walls of the city as quickly as possible. We have to slip back into the water and get to the piers unseen.”

“Then we had best hurry, Ivan,” Petro looked at the sky,” We have a limited amount of time.”

The two men launched the raft which swiftly traveled down the river to the coast. Johann scattered the raft into various small pieces. The two returned to the walk, jog, run, jog, walk method and soon reached the city. Dawn was only an hour away.

Slipping into the water, the men swam quickly, but quietly to the piers. Johann in the lead, listening carefully. Finally at the fourth ship he heard the tongue of the Greeks being spoken. He motioned Petro closer.

“That’s it. We’re here.”

“How will we get them to speak to us?”

“I speak Greek, of course.”

“It must be good to be so educated,” Petro smiled.

“Hey, it has had some uses,” Johann levered himself up onto the pier.

Petro followed with alacrity. A Greek sailor stood at the end of the gangplank, and looked at them askance. He spit out a stream of words at them. Johann replied smoothly. The sailor turned and stomped up the gangplank.

“What did he say?” Petro asked,” And what did you say to him?”

“He asked us what we were doing swimming at this time of morning. And asked us what we are doing at his ship,” Johann replied,” I told him that you had gotten drunk and fallen into the harbor. I was fishing you out. Plus we wished to seek passage to Constantinople.”

Petro goggled at the dripping Swede,” Are you serious?”

“No, I said that an early morning swim was healthy,” Johann grinned.

“Oh.”

The Greek returned with a large, imposing figure, probably that captain. Johann bowed and motioned Petro to do the same.

“Captain, my friend and I would like to buy passage on your fine ship to Constantinople,” Johann said in Greek.

The Captain stroked his moustaches,” It will be costly.”

“We can pay. What is the charge?”

The captain eyed them carefully,” It will be 100 ducats for the two of you. We leave in minutes.”

“Done,” Johann replied, turning to Petro,” Give him your armband, and I’ll give him both of mine.”

“Why?”

“We have to pay for passage.”

Petro handed Johann his armband and Johann takes off two of his, handing all three to the Captain. The man smiles and waves them aboard. The two men stride up the gangplank quickly.

The Captain starts to bellow orders, which caused the sailors to jump to their jobs with a will. Lines were cast off and the sails were set for inter harbor sailing. The ship slipped away from the pier. Within two hours the ship was out of the harbor and running free toward the great city of Constantinople.

The wind was in their favor. By nightfall the ship anchored outside the harbor. There was no entering the harbor at night, by order of the harbor master. Johann had bought some formless robes to wear.

The Captain ordered a boat lowered and the Cossack and Swede entered the boat. Johann started to row for the shoreline a mile distant. Within an hour, the boat scraped against the bottom. Petro leaped out, with Johann quick behind him. They pushed the boat back out to sea.

By daybreak they had gotten just north of the great city, back on the way to the wild fields. Johann had convinced Petro that a short side trip into Hungary to get horses would be a good idea. They could then travel to the Wild Fields much quicker. The Turk would not find them now.

Johann was as good as his word. Within two months the two men were back in the Wild Fields. They received a hero’s welcome. The two recounted their stories to the Cossacks. Including the harrowing ride out of Hungary just ahead of a Hungarian Cavalry unit.

Amric, nice writing. I'll have to think of an addition now :) A shame humans don't live long. We might have to kill this couple soon and start with another. I'd suggest you make yourself a son or a daughter... Turn right after reaching Jedisan, the best looking women are south of Donetsk.

Languish, which country do you plan to write an aar on? I'll be reading, especially if you deliver on the style :D

Originally posted by nalivayko
[\ Sadly, Georgians - whose independence Cossacks tried to defend so valiantly - are soon annexed by the Turks. "God only helps those who help themselves," - concludes Bayda, - "And who are we to aim higher than God?"

You let the Georgians get annexed?:eek: Shame on you nalivayko.:p

Well done Amric. Your story fit in very well with nalivayko's story. Now if only the Gerogians would revolt, that would be nice.;)

Joe

Just read the whole AAR. Great work, Nalivayko! And, as LordLeto said, I also apologyse for being absent. Keep up the nice work!

Storey, wasn't it enough that I picked on mighty Ottomans just because they attacked Georgia? :) I guess not. Ok, they won't revolt - Turkey has a cb on Georgia, remember? But I am considering creating buffer-states between me and Turkey. One in the west and one in the east. Moldova and Georgia, since both of them are Orthodox. So, you might get lucky sooner than you think :D

Anibal, thank you and welcome. I am a bit slow about writing nowdays, but at least I am pretty steady about it ;)

Nalivayko- You have a point...they can't live forever....However, I never said he didn't have a son or daughter....:) Perhaps he picked up a nice Cossack woman the Hungarians had captured a couple years before....I'll think of something, I guess.

Languish, if you want my advise, go for Genoa - more fun and easy to insure the survival. Just protect Corsica :)

I never did Savoy, but they seem to be either France-wannabe or Italy-wannabe and there's more nations more suited for either role.

Amric, does Johann need an advice on courting women or does he need help from Petro? :) Btw, the idea of liberating a Ukrainian girl from Turks sounds appealing. Why don't you steal Roxana from Suleyman and start a new dynasty? :D

I had fairly succesful Savoy and Genoa games. I liked my Savoy one better to tell the truth. It just looked kooler. Expanded to the Rhone and then down into the Peninsula.

nalivayko- Damn...wish I'd thought of that....Boy would that start another war with the Turk, or what? I did scribble down a sidenote about the escape of Petro and Johann....he rescued a nice Cossack woman from a Hungarian lord....But the Roxana idea has some merit....Hm...perhaps a rewrite....

Sitting on their horses one day Johann turned to Petro and said,” I’m not getting any younger.”

Petro looked at him in surprise,” Really? You think so? How do you know?”

“Very funny,” Johann replied,” But you know what I mean.”

“Yes, but we are not too old yet,” Petro smiled.

“I have an idea.”

Petro looked concerned,” Does it hurt?”

“It might,” Johann conceded,” Would you like to hear it?”

“Do I have a choice?”

Johann glared at his friend,” No.”

“Fine,” Petro sighed,” Tell me, although I have a feeling I am not going to like this.”

“Probably not,” Johann agreed,” But it ought to be fun.”

“Fun? Why do I have a feeling that is an understatement?”

“Stop jabbering and let me tell you my idea!” Johann snapped.

“Okay, talk!”

“I plan to snatch Roxana right out from under the nose of the Sultan.”

“That’s it?” Petro blinked,” Just walk in, grab her and go? Really?”

“Sarcasm aside,” Johann smiled,” In essence, yes.”

Petro rolled his eyes,” You must be the most insane man I have ever known. Either that or your nuts are swollen to the size of small boulders.”

“Are you with me?” Johann asked.

Petro shrugged,” What the hell, why not? Nobody lives forever. I’ll tell the superiors. You get us ready.”

Weeks later they rode into Constantinople as a Greek merchant and his Cossack slave. Petro was not amused, but willing to go along for the sport of it.

“This better work, Ivan,” Petro hissed between his teeth,” I am not amused.”

“I hope it will,” Johann replied,” But remember, you don’t speak Greek. Think of it this way, if anything goes wrong and we get caught, the Turk will believe you are a slave. The worst that could happen is that they make you a eunuch.”

Petro shifted in his saddle,” That does not reassure me.”

Johann smirked,” It wasn’t meant to.”

The two men rode to the nearest Inn to the palace. Johann, in his guise as Aleksandre the Greek paid for two weeks in advance. Petro, in his guise as a slave, carried the bags and other things up to the room. An impressive place, this Inn. Nearly six stories in height, and rather ornate, their room was at the very top of the Inn. Not the best room, but the point was to be high up and with easy access to the roof.

Over the next week the two men split up their duties. Petro cased the palace from the outside and spoke with various servants from there as well as a couple of slave soldiers in trade speak. Johann/Aleksandre actually managed to enter the palace grounds with a small tour of other merchants and did his part as well.

With lavish bribes to the slave guards as well as other palace officials it was decided that the last night of their stay in Constantinople(although the Turk no longer called it that, Johann refused to name it anything else.) would be the time to spirit Roxana out of the palace. Petro had met a eunuch and had gotten a basic description of her, and Johann bought a slave girl rudely matching the description.

She was seen quite a bit with Petro, who managed to slip her out of the city to a small group of Cossacks waiting near the city in hiding. The night of the attempt was cloudy and without the moon. It was now, or never. The Sultan was off in the east somewhere and the notorious Imperial Guard was not as rapid in their duties when he was away.

Johann and Petro entered the palace through a nearly forgotten gate with the help of the slave guards. Slipping through the gardens they made their way toward the harem. Eunuch guards patrolled the harem part of the garden. Fortunately a stream of uncommon depth meandered right into the palace at the harem. The two men swam in the stream and entered the palace. The women were sleeping, and with great luck Roxana was nearby, unfortunately awake.

She gasped and opened her mouth to scream. Johann whispered frantically in Turkish.

“Please don’t scream, we are here to rescue you!”

She cocked her head and replied,” What makes you believe I wish to be rescued?”

“I offer you an opportunity to live free, with the mighty Cossacks. Out of the seraglio. An opportunity to do what you wish to do, without worrying what a Sultan, or the Eunuchs think of it.”

She smiled,” The Sultan may be a mighty warrior and a mighty king, but he is a poor lover. I will go with you. Let me get my things.”

“There is no time for you to gather a lot of clothing,” Petro snapped.

“Cossack, I speak of my jewelry,” she snarled.

Petro bowed,” I apologize. I didn’t realize you spoke my language. Jewelry is indeed worthy. Be quick, though!”

She turned and slipped away, only to return within a couple of minutes with a small chest. Petro gently took it from her and nearly dropped it.

“Damn!” He exclaimed,” That is far heavier than I had anticipated.”

“Let’s go,” Johann said,” This way.”

The three slipped back into the water and swam back, but this time right under the wall of the palace and back into the city. The three of them dried off and returned to the Inn. The next day they left the city unmolested very early in the morning. Just in time as bells clanged in the palace as they topped the hill to the northwest. The gates of the city banged closed.

The three turned their horses toward Hungary. The Cossacks had left the day before with the former slave girl, to return to the Cossack lands. The three would take a more circuitous route to ensure pursuit would be confused. Roxana reveled in her freedom, although she did seem pretty taken with Johann which gratified him to no end.

They crossed the border into Hungary a day before a detachment of Imperial Guards. Fortunately the Guards decided that further pursuit would be imprudent. Somehow they had found out that Roxana had gone toward Hungary. Letters of protest between the two nations would almost come to war during the next year until the Hungarians finally convinced the Sultan that they had nothing to do with the abduction of Roxana.

On the way to the Wild Fields Petro decided to steal a brace of pheasants from a local Hungarian lord. Which caused them to chase the three fugitives. The lord had a lot of his friends with him. All of them gave chase. Johann and Roxana went one way, while Petro went the other. Most of them decided to follow the couple, which allowed Petro to double back to the camp.

Stealing through the camp he heard noises coming from a large tent. Going inside he found a woman in a shift tied to a camp bed, blindfolded and gagged. He pulled down the gag, to be bombarded with a stream of Cossack invective that even made him wince.

“Shut up, woman,” Petro hissed back in Cossack.

“Who is that?”

Petro gave her his name as he untied her; she ripped off the blindfold herself.

“Petro! A good Cossack name,” She breathed deeply, which caused Petro to momentarily forget his train of thought.

“I’ll get dressed,” she said,” My name is Irina. We must leave before that pig returns.”

Petro nodded dumbly, still focused on her breasts. She quickly dressed and packed some things into a spare saddlebag. The two swung into the saddle of his horse, only to have the lord return with one of his retainers. Petro slipped off the saddle and slapped it’s rump to get it to gallop ahead.

Petro screamed a Cossack challenge and charged the Hungarians. He cut down the retainer quickly, only to have to deal with the lord still upon his horse. Petro ducked and dodged not only the lord’s blade as well as the hooves of the horse. Fortunately, the lord wasn’t paying attention to his surroundings and was knocked from his horse by a low hanging branch.

Now that the odds were more even, Petro launched an offensive which quickly overwhelmed the lord. He left the lord gasping his last as he swung up onto the recently empty saddle and raced to catch up to Irina. He managed to do so, only to see her surrounded by the lords hirelings.

With an inarticulate scream he charged them. They scattered like quail, but three of them would leave this mortal coil for a new location, perhaps hell. After that Irina and Petro met Johann and Roxana ten miles down the road. The two of them had led the lordlings and their retainers on a merry chase, those that got too close being cut down by the doughty Swede.

The rest of the journey to the Wild Fields was peaceful and relatively serene. The two couples crossed the border with relief and raced to the nearest Siche.

- I wanted to steal a horse, and I got a woman, - Petro compained to Johann, - if it was not for you, I'd still be a happy bachelor. Not like we don't get to have our fun in every city we raid.

Johann smiled, but did not take his eyes off Roxana. They did not leave each other's site since the moment Roxana left Czargrad. Johann already learned about her dismal past - being stolen from her village by Tatars and sold in Kaffa to a merchant from Czargrad. It was her luck that she caught an eye of an eunuch from the Palace - although she still considered it a greatest misfortune.

In captivity she converted to Islam, impressed with the faith the infidels seemed to have. She did always feel guilty about it - and this guilt forced her to secretly baptize her son - the future Sultan - before he was... well, let us just say that Muslims, alike Jews, are very optimistic people. They subtract where the rest of the men always wish to add.

Needless to say, her beauty and charm and smarts forced Johann to fall in love the first day they spent together. Or was it the fact that he did not have a steady woman since... ah, well, since long ago? Regardless, he was sinking deeper and deeper, while Petro was busy teaching Irina her place in the Cossack brotherhood - which was as far away from Sich as possible.

The marriage between Johann and Roxana - or Oxana, her true Ukrainian name - seemed a decided matter, if it was not for her insistance that Ivan should become an Orthodox. Petro approved, saying that he suffered long enough having a damn Catholic as his comrade-in-arms...

You mean I haven't converted yet? Shocking, truly shocking!:) Nice add on, Nalivayko! Petro might as well join the club of married men...Hm...don't know a thing about Orthodox conversions...Hey, at least at some point Johann ought to have some children....

I did not want to convert you before just to make it possible for Cossacks to call you a damn Catholic :D

And don't worry about details: we are not writing a book after all ;)

Johann briefly glanced at the flickering candlelight within the small chapel. He had decided on an all night vigil before his conversion to the Orthodox Church. It had been a long and torturous process that had taken him years to deal with, but in the end he had finally decided that converting was the proper thing to do. When he was a child his entire family had converted to Lutheran, and although he had never corrected the Cossacks about him being Catholic, it was still something he had struggled with.

He had written letters to his family a year ago. One to his parents, another to his brother, and a third to his sister. His parents had not been pleased; in fact their last letter had disowned him as their child. They had taken their vow of Lutheranism very seriously, and had never looked back on their decision. Their disappointment and scorn fairly dripped off the letter. He had burned it before his bride to be had seen it. Although she spoke nor read Swedish, he did not wish to have her see it and want it translated for her.

His brother had not been much better. Now that their parents were quite aged, he had taken over as the lord of the land. He also disowned his brother, even going so far as changing the name of his son, Johann to Wolfgar. Such a reaction hurt Johann, but he had never met the boy. In fact, until that letter, he and his brother had not had any communications in years. That letter he also burned, and for the same reasons as before.

The letter from his sister’s daughter had been surprising. His sister had died two years before, and his brother in law had not deigned to inform him of that fact. In fact if his niece, Tamara, had not intercepted his letter to his sister he would not have known even now. Tamara congratulated him on his upcoming nuptials, and beseeched him to be sure of his commitment to his conversion. She had converted herself, with her mother, just days before her death. She informed him that his brother in law had turned to drink soon after his marriage and never stopped. He even hit her mother on occasion. Reading this made Johann’s blood burn, but he was unsure of what to do about it. One part of him wished to ride back to his brother in law’s estate and torture him slowly before executing him in a most gruesome manner. On the thought of his niece, and her two younger brothers stayed his hand.

Shaking his head, he slipped the letter back in his robes and bowed his head in contemplation. Hours later, Petro slipped in to see his friend shedding tears. Not knowing the reason why he slipped back out to find Roxana. Perhaps she knew the answer to why his best friend was crying. All she could tell him is that Johann had received three letters that very morning. Unbeknownst to him, she had seen him crumple two of them before tossing them into the morning fire. The third he had tucked into his clothing.

Petro nodded, thanked her and stalked off to find the rider who had brought in the letters. It took him hours, but he finally tracked the man down and spoke to him. The man couldn’t tell him much other than the letters had come from Sweden and Poland. He didn’t speak Swedish, so he couldn’t tell him what the letters said. Petro thanked him and walked away in great concern. His friend was upset, and he believed it had something to do with the letters.

He had to know what was going on, but how to find out? He couldn’t disturb the vigil Johann had set himself, it would be wrong to do so. He had seemed so insistent, even though such was not required before a conversion. He sat in front of a fire, refusing drink, deep in thought.

Roxana ran up to him, visibly agitated, waving another letter.

“This just came,” She gasped,” A rider came on a lathered horse. I couldn’t understand him very well. He speaks Polish, but he was quite unhappy when I told him he could not speak to Johann. He gave me this to give to him. He is waiting outside my tent.”

“Give it to me,” Petro held out his hand, she gave it to him without hesitation.

Petro had learned Swedish early on in his time with Ivan. It had seemed prudent to know another language as he and his companions taught Ivan Cossack. He ripped open the envelope and began to read.

Dear Uncle Johann,

My name is Ivar, your nephew. My father found out about Tamara writing you. He was furious! He locked her in the cellar after giving her a tremendous beating. My brother Otar had tried to stop him, only to receive a beating as well. Father locked him in his room. I am the youngest, and someone had to tell what happened. I stayed hidden and wrote this letter to you. Tamara had told both of us where you were, and had set aside money in the event we ever had to reach you for any reason. I have a reason.

I want you to come and take us away from my father. Ever since Momma died he has been nothing but mean and hateful to us. He is squandering all the money, and there is virtually nothing left. Tamara had tried to write our grandparents, but she had gotten no reply. You are our last hope, please help us.

Your Nephew,

Ivar

Petro shivered in rage. He thrust the letter back at Roxana and roared in rage. He saddled a horse and shoved provisions into the saddlebags before meeting the Polish letter bearer.

“Get another horse. In fact get five. I shall get four more for myself,” Petro grated in Polish,” We are going to the place you got this letter.”

The man shrugged and picked out five horses, resaddling one of them to ride. Petro had memorized the last name on the letter. Petrochenko. He would remember. The two men wheeled their horses and rode like the wind for Poland. Four horses streamed behind each of them, the thunder of their hooves loud enough to even rouse Johann from his reverie briefly.

When he stepped outside in the morning light, Roxana was waiting for him with the letter. Upon reading it he snarled. When she told him Petro had rode out of the camp like the demons of hell were after him, he went white. He told her what was in the letter. She stormed and ranted and raved for nearly fifteen minutes.

“You must go, my love,” She snarled,” Save your niece and nephews. Bring them here. To us, to the Cossacks. We will care for them. We have more than enough wealth to provide for them. They will have a good life here.”

“Yes,” Johann agreed,” I will!”

He saddled a horse and picked four more as remounts. Roxana had already packed his saddlebags. He placed his favorite bow and arrows, along with the finest rifle he owned, along with his six pistols. He kissed Roxana passionately and leaped upon his horse. He swung his horse toward Poland, turning back to wave at his beloved.

“Ivan!” She yelled at him,” Kill that bastard!”

“Your wish is my command, my love,” Johann yelled back.

He galloped out of the camp, only 4 hours behind Petro and the messenger. His thoughts roiled in his head. The wedding was in a little over a month. Barely enough time to get there and back, but with children it might take longer. He would have to push himself and the horses as hard as he dared.

In a bit over a week he approached his brother in law’s estate. He had not encountered Petro at all along the way. In fact, nobody had seen him. It was if he disappeared off the face of the Earth. Stealing on the grounds of the estate, Johann was struck by the unnatural stillness and quiet of the place. It was like a graveyard. No candle or lamp light flickered in the windows of the great house.

Stalking to the back door he found it was partially open. Stalking through the door, he heard a muffled noise upstairs. Quickly stepping along the outside of the stairs he reached the second floor and found two boys bound and gagged in a bedroom. They looked quite bedraggled and very bruised. Their eyes widened in shock and dismay when they saw what looked like a wild Cossack coming toward them with a long wicked knife. He put his finger to his lips.

“Don’t worry, lads,” Johann whispered,” I am your Uncle Johann. I have come for you and your sister.”

He quickly cut the cords of the captive boys and undid the gags. They both shrank away from him in fear.

“I understand,” Johann smiled,” I look a sight. I had a long ride from the wild fields. I got your letter, Otar.”

Otar smiled tremulously,” It IS you! Irina is still downstairs. Father and some of his friends caught a man creeping into the house a few hours ago. They tied us up, and they haven’t come back.”

Johann went purple in fury,” Stay here boys. I will take care of it.”

Johann stole back down the stairs and crept down the basement stairs. Four men were roaring drunk surrounded a bound Petro. They had been whipping him. Petro barely made a sound. Not because he was screamed out, but because he was too proud to see his captors enjoy his torment.

Johann slipped two of his pistols out of the holsters and cocked them. The four men froze at the sound. Two shots rang out, and two men dropped. Johann dropped the pistols and took out another pistol and his sword. Another shot, and another man falls. Only the brother in law is left alive. He turned with the whip in his hand. A snarl on his lips he flicks the whip at Johann.

A quick slash, and the whip was severed. The man reaches for his own blade, only to find Johann’s blade at his throat. He arrested his motion at once.

“I thought this scum was you.”

“It just proves that you really don’t pay that much attention,” Johann snapped,” Where is my niece?”

“In the other room,” he grimaced,” You are welcome to her. She is nothing but trouble. Especially since her mother died.”

Johann pressed the blade further into the drunk man’s neck,” You were unworthy of her. I know you beat her. Did you kill her?”

The man shrank back in fear.

“Did….You….Kill…My….Sister!?”

Petro turned his head and spat out some blood,” He did, Ivan. He gloated about it to me, thinking I was you. I chose not to disabuse him of his misplaced notion.”

“You I will deal with later,” Johann snapped at him,” You, my dear brother in law, will have an unpleasant death ahead of you.”

With that he kicked his foe in the balls and then hammered his head with the hilt of his blade. He quickly cut Petro free and rescued his niece from the other room. She was also quite bruised, but otherwise unharmed. Petro staggered, and Tamara went to him. She tore strips from her shift and used a nearby water bucket to get water to wash his wounds

“Watch him, Petro,” Johann glared at his friend,” I will be back.”

With that he went outside to the barn and got a wagon ready with some supplies and four horses to draw it. He put a very large barrel in the back a quarter filled with offal. He went back and carried his brother in law to the wagon. He dumped him into the barrel, none to gently, and nailed the thing shut after binding and gagging the man. He removed the bunghole to allow air to enter the barrel.

He collected his niece, nephews, and Petro, along with the valuables of the house before setting off back to the wild fields. Every two days he would allow the man some hard bread and water before stuffing him back into the barrel. Johann found out that the messenger had been paid off and sent on his way before Petro had tried to spirit the children away.

They traveled at their best speed, but they would be quite late for the wedding. For they were going to go into the lands of the Golden Horde first. Fifteen miles over the border Johann peeled away the eyelids of the doomed man, tossing them aside with contempt. He stripped him and staked him over an anthill. The Tatars would find him soon enough, covered in his own filth and swarming with flies and other biting bugs. In fact, a cloud of dust heralded their imminent arrival. They rode away, the children and Petro continuing on to the border as Johann stopped at a nearby hill to watch the Tatars torture and then kill the hapless man.

With a grim smile, Johann galloped back to his new children and returned to the Wild Fields and Roxana.

Last edited:
*Note for self: don't fuck with Amric, he seems to be mean when angry*

That was some torture:eek: and a very nice poste! :)

That was gentle...I once one a contest on a bbs by describing as many tortures as possible...hit over 100 and teh other contestants were shocked....:)

*Note for self: don't ever go to Indiana, they hold "Imagine-as-many-tortures-as-you-can" contests*

:D