• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

safe-keeper

• ← 2mm hole in reality
54 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
livetkanfly.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I thought this could be interesting. We've got a fair few wishlists for the possibly upcoming Cities Skylines sequel, but I though it would be interesting to have a compilation of peoples'

Now, I know from experience with forums that these threads tend to devolve into spamming suggestions, so please show some restraint and only post your top three wishes for Cities Skylines 2 ;) .

1. more zoning options - mixed zoning (allow multi-story buildings to house shops, offices, and apartments), single-family only housing, apartment buildings, etc.

2. better road and traffic design, for example the ability to upgrade a street into a pedestrian-only street (the street remains as before, except possibly with a different road texture, but is only for pedestrians), and traffic calming efforts, and the ability to block off intersections in certain directions with chains or bollards (useful for intersections with lots of traffic).

3. more actual interaction with the outside world, like in the Sim City games. As it is, it feels like your city exists in a vacuum. Examples of what new features could be: have neighbouring cities have their own needs, surpluses, goods production, unemployment issues, and so on. Allow me to decide the number of neighbouring cities and the size of them when founding my own city.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Actually, I think I'll change my vote.

For #3, my suggestion is that cims get to ride boats the same way they currently drive cars. You would have piers, marinas, and boat houses that work like garages and parking lots, and cims would own boats, the same way they can currently own cars. They would then take boats into consideration when pathfinding from Point A to Point B. If the fastest or only way is to ride their boat, that's what they'll do. Go to the boat house, get in the boat, drive it to the marina, walk to your destination.

You'd have to have some sort of traffic system - maybe wide enough rivers, straits, and so on could be coded like roads, with "lanes" and "intersections", or perhaps you could just have a simple collision avoidance system that boats would use. But this would make communities with rivers or islands so much more immersive and efficient.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually, I think I'll change my vote.

For #3, my suggestion is that cims get to ride boats the same way they currently drive cars. You would have piers, marinas, and boat houses that work like garages and parking lots, and cims would own boats, the same way they can currently own cars. They would then take boats into consideration when pathfinding from Point A to Point B. If the fastest or only way is to ride their boat, that's what they'll do. Go to the boat house, get in the boat, drive it to the marina, walk to your destination.

You'd have to have some sort of traffic system - maybe wide enough rivers, straits, and so on could be coded like roads, with "lanes" and "intersections", or perhaps you could just have a simple collision avoidance system that boats would use. But this would make communities with rivers or islands so much more immersive and efficient.
Yes, I have requested private watercraft over and over, and possible private aircraft, like private planes or helicopters, it'd add life to the water and skies even before you start building infrastructure for public transport. Furthermore perhaps office buildings could have helipads on them so private helicopters could land on them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay, there it is...
1) Roads and traffic tweaks. More freely combine lane-schemes, more road classes. (we actually now have ONLY TWO: city-external road and street. Required at least nameless small road and pipelines as road type but for various goods) And most required publiс transport rework, as the bus stops is terrible in real environment we can use here.)
2) Modular buildings in relation to commerce and industry, based on shops and companies dislocation in the area and common sense. Population influence included, like various types of places have different options and ecology stats.
3) Cargo and commerce bound interactions for both hubs and transports. To be real cargo transfer station/hub with all basic things instead of 2 different buildings and constant trucks sausage. Will look better for advanced builders and no more trucks abuse with 40% capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions:
1. Announce it.
2. Don't hold back PC version waiting for console version.
3. Don't bother with a launcher.

• 4Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
1: Proclaim it already...
2: Massively up the scales of the game in terms of the various limits. Having 25-81 tiles but barely being able to fill the 9 you're given is just bad. Fight me.
3: Don't bother with consoles until well after release. If it can be done, fine, more money. Also, keep it a single-player game as city-builders are meant to be.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good idea for a thread! Here's my top 3:
  1. Creative Mode. Specifically, something that would allow me to make something like Cities Skylines: MARS by just loading assets into the base game. I'm picturing functionality comparable to a combination of asset plopping mods + anarchy mods + the procedural objects mod (or another way to group / copy / paste assets) + the base game cheat mods (money, tiles, buildings unlocked).
  2. The ability to pick alternative assets for individual service buildings (e.g. firemen, police) in the same way we can pick alternative looks for vehicles. This would help in creating distinct feels for different areas.
  3. Modular public transport stations (as seen in Transport Tycoon-style games). I would love to build a two track subway station that feeds into a bus terminal, or a crazy monorail terminal with ten elevated platforms and a tram interchange underneath.
  4. (Bonus wish!) Mid-density residential/commercial zoning layers for secondary hub neighbourhoods.
I also wouldn't say no to further optimisation. :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
1) Make commutes matter. If cims don't get to work due to traffic, they are fired. Cims should seek out jobs close to where they live. Currently traffic is mainly just for fun and maybe helping utilities and emergency vehicles but doesn't seriously matter as it should. Similar logic should be applied to commutes for students toschools any any other part of the simulation where traffic should really matter.

2) see point 1
3) see point 1

• 2Like
Reactions:
The medium zoning is a definite must, for areas where we're trying to evoke a small town where the denser areas are still very small compared to cities. Medium zoning could also absorb some of the low density high level stuff, so low areas will be exclusively smaller housing.

An overhaul of the district system. Firstly replace the brush with a polygon tool, or at least make this an option, while small districts may work decently for the brush system a large district/ purpose area, such as a theme park or university, will require you to draw the boarders and then fill in, a polygon tool makes this far easier, to do, particularly if it snaps to the road. The add the option to add a fence (and gates) to the boarder, so you could easily make something like a gated community. Finally make it possible to restrict service buildings to specific districts (so vehicles will only go to these districts, and vehicles from other areas will not travel into the district, I think this part may be a mod)

A pre-build mode, so you lay out roads and placeable buildings without actually building them, and then press a button to actually build them. This would allow builders to design their city setup without having to lay roads and build and then demolish buildings because they don't go quite right first time. I'd also have an toggleable option where the roads and placed buildings are actually constructed like the zoned buildings.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Love all three of those. Especially zoning can be cumbersome and tricky.

Off the top of my head:
  1. Medium zones would indeed be nice
  2. Diversify goods & industry. I.e. not all factories produce generic "goods", but food, clothing, luxury items etc. , and all are needed. Just the separation of food and other goods would IMO already make a huge difference. It would be nice if we could choose a branch of industry to unlock at certain milestones, e.g. a mining town would choose to first unlock ore industry and related factories, then maybe fishing or agriculture on the next milestone etc.
    In real life, especially small cities tend to have a profile (lots of cities started as farming communities, but also mining, forestry, or cities built around factories, tourism or universities). If it were the same in C:S, in my eyes that would go a long way in making cities feel different and unique. Every city having generic zoned industry is just very...well, generic.
    You could apply the same idea to education: Instead of just being generically "highly educated", a person that works in a high education tourism job should have actually graduated from a school of tourism. You would naturally specialize cities in the later game via your choice of campus.
  3. Related to that, it would be awesome if trade was more specific and important. E.g. You can import very little food, so you have to produce that early yourself, but at the same time one city sells a lot of cheap raw oil, so you can later build a profitable oil refining industry around your harbor.
    Trade was and is hugely important for cities in real life, but in C:S, every city tends to be largely self-sufficient and generic.
    This is the one point that made the old caesar and zeus city builders very enjoyable for me and that I miss in C:S.
    Again, I feel like this would go a long way in making each city and playthrough feel (more) unique.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's hard to narrow it down to just a handful of things. It should probably go without saying that a lot of the popular mods from CS should simply be integrated into the new game--for example, Traffic Manager, Move It!, Metro Overhaul Mod, and so on.

It would also be cool to tackle issues that real cities have to handle. Commutes that are too long. Poverty. Economic inequality. Persistent crime. Homelessness. Housing/rent affordability ("The rent is too damn high!"). Congestion pricing. Anti-discrimination ordinances. Progressive income taxes, wealth taxes, nonoccupancy taxes, sales taxes, vices taxes (e.g., marijuana, alcohol, tobacco etc.). AirBnb bans. Rent stabilization/rent control. Affordable housing programs. Public housing. Social services.

1. Think roads lane-wise: In-game road editing, separate turning lanes, langes splitting and merging, ...
2. More flexibility on zoning: Variable zoning depth, zoned buildings following curve of the roads, small building appearing in two rows, ...
3. More realistic traffic simulation: traffic, driving behaviour but also internal delivery routes within the city, ...

1. Performance has to be improved!

2. Integration with the original CS workshop assets (buildings, roads, props, vehicles, etc.) I can't image losing access to over tens of thousands of great works and having to start over from scratch, waiting for asset creators to recreate what they've already done. Obviously, mods are a different story. Those would have to be remade for CS2.

3. Traffic control, similar to the features currently being used in the original CS with the Traffic Manager President Edition mod. Having this as part of the base game would be a huge improvement.

I know we're only talking about the top 3 here, but if I could add a 4th, it would be integrating the existing Move It mod from the original CS.

You can reach me directly here on Steam.

• 3Like
Reactions:
1. Three Dimensional terraforming. the fact is that the terraforming tool in this game is limited to up and down, 2 dimensions, this isn't how things actually work in the real world. Adding the ability to dig through the land will add a lot more options for maps, such as overhanging cliffs, caves, natural tunnels, sea arches, etc. Also adding the water spawner to the vanilla in city terraforming would be handy.
2. Lava. It's not as important but I think adding Lava to the game's maps would be very good, particularly for tropical maps, Lava could improve the look and also offer an interesting new disaster to work with, with volcanic eruptions.
3. District based civ model restrictions: I've talked about it before but the idea of restricting the civ models that spawn in particular districts could be interesting for creative builders, for example if you have been working on a slum area of your city you don't really want civs dressed in sharp suits walking around, or if you are designing an area where people working there should all be wearing a specific uniform, for example in sci-fi based build like CityWokCtyWall's Mars where much of the city is in a dome, you would want people wearing space suits for areas outside these domes. It would work functionally like a city planning policies, so civs living in residential buildings or working at commercial, industry or office buildings within the district would follow these restrictions, while other civs travelling through the district would be unaffected.

• 2Like
Reactions: