Your Opinions & Ideas on How To Improve CK3 Overall

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

chr0me

Private
70 Badges
Dec 11, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
I have been thinking about the many features or changes that I would personally implement to improve CK3 in general, according to my tastes and views. While my own post will be quite long, feel free to skip it or skim it and post your own ideas or opinions on how you would improve CK3 as a game.

It is alright if you disagree with my ideas or believe said implementations would not work, though if you can do tell me why so as to have meaningful discussion.

I will organize my thoughts into different categories to easily read and follow, as well as allowing you to read only the ones you are interested in.

Warfare

1. Rally Point Rework or Removal - While there is nothing wrong with the concept of rally points, I feel its current iteration makes warfare cumbersome in its requirement of constantly deleting and moving rally points. It also does not have as much flexibility as I would like in how many troops to raise in an easy and straightforward way. If simply reworking I would wish for a slider based on 0 to 100 on how many levies I wish to raise and where. Ideally, this would also allow me to raise knights and MAAs in an easier manner and in the number and locations I want.

If removing instead I believe having some form of the CK2 version of raising of local and vassal troops, along with MAAs and knights, based on holding locations would be the way to go. This way your troops would start out scattered based on how you set up your military holdings and vassal domains, requiring you to manually gather them in the numbers and composition you see fit.

While slightly more tedious it would model large empires better in how they may have more troops, but those numbers might not gather quickly enough based on the fact the empire spans vast amounts of land in various places. Allowing a more compact and less spread out kingdom the ability to make gains against their foe before they can gather their armies in sufficient number to make use of them.

2. Built-In Knight Manager - This is more of a QOL improvement to allow the player set settings on who they want eligible or ineligible to automatically be made knights, in order to avoid having to tediously monitor them to ensure your heir with 0 prowess is not made into one without your say.

3. Slower Army Movement & Faster Movement Locks - Warfare currently feels more like a benny-hill chasing simulator than one that simulates medieval warfare, slowing down movement to allow the player more time to react to sudden changes in enemy army movement would help. Making the army direction movement locks kick in earlier would also help with preventing whack-a-mole split second directional changes and would require more planning to avoid locking yourself into an unwinnable situation.

4. Levy
Redesign/Rework - The way that levies are modeled as poorly trained as well as one homogenous blob both statistically and visually hurts both strategic depth and historical plausibility. Each nation or civilization in medieval times could have had their levy made up from various compositions, training methods, where in society the levies are drawn from such as citizens or slaves, all amounting to unique levy armies. This oversimplification hurts the game in the gameplay department through removing strategy and reducing what should be the main bulk of armies in this time period, to more of a hindrance and economic drain from being so bland and weak.

I would change levies to be made up a composition of the different type of possible units one can have in MAAs, but weaker versions and their percentage skew on types would be influenced by both culture and military buildings built. There ideally should also be different organizations, trainings, citizen or slave, options that become available or restricted based on culture, society, and technology that showcases the different military workings of these medieval civilizations.

5. MAA Rework & Rebalance - I do not believe the way MAAs are currently designed can be considered good, from the way they counter and negate the damage of each other. I believe a better working system would be by increasing the damage inflicted by certain types on others to reflect their natural strengths against facing off against certain types. While making some unit types take more damage from other types based on their weaknesses, that can be mitigated by having an MAA composition that supports itself and is balanced.

This would encourage more considerations in MAA composition where overusing one type without support may leave you in danger of taking heavier losses or in dealing less damage. However, the advantage of this system is that your damage isn't simply reduced by 50% because the enemy brought a lot of skirmishers or something. While the system I suggest sounds similar to the current one, it differs in respect by removing hard counters and rather just making certain units stronger or weaker to other ones.

6. Military Buildings Rework - The way that military buildings can give percentage increases rather than flat-sums, can allow snowballing in creating very strong MAAs by stacking one type in all your domains. I would encourage changing the current system into flat-sums that is only applied to the military troops of the holding it is built in to avoid creating exploit territory over-powered MAAs that the AI can not handle.

7. Adding Strategic AI to Large Kingdoms or Empires - To avoid destroying game performance by adding complex AI calculations to every ruler in the game, I suggest that adding a Strategic AI manager for the most important or powerful civilizations on the map would improve the warfare system overall. The way it would work would be similar to the way the strategic AI in EU4 works, in which the AI's strategy profile differs based on the personality of the ruler, but ultimately has certain goals it wants to achieve such as connecting borders or creating a certain empire or gobbling up a region. Currently, most AI rulers make bizarre and random decisions but this can be fixed by having a Strategy AI manager that sets goals or has outlined plans that benefit said nations the most. Then, certain behaviors would be enabled or disabled based on the personality or skills of the ruler in charge to simulate how that would affect military campaigns and planning.

8. Manpower Implementation and Slower Replenishment - Adding manpower to warfare would get rid of unlimited replenishment and slow it down, so as to add more planning and depth to warfare system. Since there is no population mechanics, we must assume that manpower would need to be based on economic development, whether its feudal/tribal/clan, and farming technology (to simulate less or more peasants or whoever needed for agriculture, considering that's where most of the levies soldiers come from).

Economy

9. Rebalancing Buildings in Regards to Cost and Revenue - Most buildings cost way too much for how little in return economically they give back, changing these values to be more reasonable should help improve the economic system of the game. There should be a base income that everyone has based on their rank which probably needs to be higher if already included, in part to prevent the AI always being in debt, and to simulate the base productivity of holdings before improvement. The costs of buildings compared to their revenue also needs to be rescaled to make for better revenue streams, while this can always be scaled in a way to have less dramatic increases the further you keep upgrading.

10. Rebalancing Events - Many people including myself, have rightly observed that most of their income or money comes from events giving more money than their economy buildings could give in any short amount time. This is detrimental to the economic system of the game, as your economy is more reliant on getting RNG events that give you tons of money or spamming decisions like asking your head of faith for money. Furthermore, certain costs in events are scaled way too high that aren't properly matched with the scale of revenue a player gets from their holdings or economic buildings. Leading to absurd scenarios where having a pet cat annoy a vassal can wipe 10 years of your income from holdings.

11. Adding Depth like Trade or Goods - While I doubt anyone wants the micro-heavy trade system from Imperator Rome, having some form of trade or goods in the game would go a long way to improving the economic system of the game. It would also help with the revenue stream problem where you generally make more money from events than you do from holdings or buildings, at least before you own most of the map in which case it becomes less of an issue due to sheer brute force of owning half the world. I will not go into further detail for adding trade or goods, simply because I am not a game designer so designing such a system from scratch is beyond my capabilities. However, if one is ever implemented through experience of using it I could say what I like or dislike about and how it could be improved based on my observations.

12. Vassal Levies Re-implemented - Now you might be wondering what I mean by this and why it is in the economic section, the reasoning for that is due to what I am suggesting in changing how vassals provide levies for their Ruler/Overlord. Currently, vassal levies are just a flat number added to your own levies based on the feudal contract you have with them resulting in offloading the cost to you the ruler. Ideally, your own personal levies and your vassal levies should be separated so as to represent the fact that the troops your vassals provide for you are payed by and maintained by them. This would help in reducing the costs from all your vassal levies being added as a simple number to your own, while also demonstrating the financial obligation of vassals in both taxes and troops. The reasoning behind this is when not in use, the vassal levies are technically in your vassal realm so why would you be paying for them?

Remember levies are not permanent standing armies and are meant to represent temporarily raised troops in times of war often from the peasant class, who also does most of the food production on farms during peace.

13? Boats - As quoted from EU4, "Everyone knows that soldiers simply cannot magically turn into boats, the transport ship is a vessel specially built to move armies from A to B on the High Seas". This one isn't a serious suggestion considering the unpopularity and futility associated with bringing up the boat issue in CK3, so we shall leave this as a moot point.

UI/UX

13. MAAs split-able - Allowing players to split their MAAs would give them more freedom in how they can organize their armies, while simply adding more flexibility.

14. UI Obtains Personality or Changes Based on Culture/Religion of Starting Nation - Currently, I believe the UI while being clean and sleek feels out of place for a game set in the medieval era where I expect more detailed and interesting designs to reflect the time period. Where is the medieval artwork or aesthetics for it anywhere in the UI, there is none at the moment and I sorely wish there was some added simply to be more immersive and for CK3 to appear less corporate and soul-less.

This is where the starting nation you choose can impact the type of interesting UI you get based on culture/religion (either really is fine for me as long as there is some flavor), increasing the immersion and setting the right atmosphere for a medieval game. The medieval to renaissance eras had extremely elaborate gothic architecture in certain places, while the most accomplished art was religious in nature and is very nice to look at. It is a shame that these historical aesthetics are not reflected in the UI while playing the game, detracting quite a bit from the experience (though it could just be I do not like the modern trend of clean but drab UIs and Logos).

Utilities

15. Customizable Notifications & Alerts - Having the ability to customize notifications to your liking would be a much appreciated feature, that myself and many others in the community have been wanting for quite some time. I have extended this to alerts as well, since quite a few I wish to change the scope of or simply enable or disable depending on my realm size when playing.

16. More Map Modes - Right now CK3 is missing quite a few map modes from CK2 and from the other previous Paradox entries, so it would be nice if they could be implemented at some point for user convenience.

Visuals

17. Development Sprawl Visible on Map - This is one of those immersion features I quite like both in CK2, EU4, IR, and other Paradox titles. I hope this eventually gets added sooner rather than later, as the map currently looks very empty and plain.

18. Army Units actually Looking Like Armies - At the moment armies are represented by only one soldier that either has more or less armor based on the quality of it, I would much prefer if it actually looked like an army with possibly multiple smaller looking soldiers side by side. This very much is just a preference, but battles feel more like duels than well battles between armies quite simply because armies are only represented by one unit visually.

Realm Management

19. Partition Not Forced on Start Where it Doesn't Make Sense - Quite a few nations or cultures in either starts are not accurately represented by forcing partition as their starting succession law, such as the various different Muslim, Nomadic, and others that I am too lazy to name. The rigidness in design philosophy by enforcing partition where it makes little logical sense is one of the most complained about design flaws that I share with many.

20. Partition Overhauled - Partition does not need to be a headache inducing, annoying mechanic that most players find cheesy ways to bypass or ignore for most of the early game. There should be some leeway in handing out titles and the stats and reputation of the possible heirs should influence how much each son or daughter expects to receive. In accordance, reason should prevail where you can decide to give gold or artifacts of similar value to lesser sons or daughters for their possible inheritance instead of your prized counties. Furthermore, if you simply decide you do not want to follow the succession blindly despite the potential disastrous consequence of only retaining one county you could simply flout the law as the ruler you are playing.

This could cause tyranny gain, vassal opinion deterioration, or an unique dissatisfied faction formed by the other heirs to depose you and implement favorable title distribution resulting in civil war and upheaval. All of this depending on numerous factors such as how powerful, influential, skilled, or well liked are the heirs you are scorning, along with your own vassal relations and strength. Essentially, Partition should allow rulers more options in deciding which titles go to who and whether they wish to risk being a tyrant by disregarding their nation's laws.

21. Less Crazy Cadet House Creation - The requirements for the AI to create cadet houses is way too low, resulting in way too many over the course of the game. In reality it should be a rare occurrence and only from exceptionally prestigious and skilled family members on the periphery of the family tree.

Performance

22. Reduced Fertility and Higher Child Mortality - While this seems like an odd category to include this suggestion, implementing this more historically accurate change will definitely improve performance by having less AI characters breeding like rabbits. Fertility is way too high in the game, since even with extremely negative traits having a lot of kids is very easy feat to accomplish. In relation, due to the level of sanitation along with worse medical care the chance for children in the medieval era to die early in life was much higher even for nobility. As such having enough healthy heirs to pass on the succession might actually become a worry like it historically was for rulers, instead of the current implementation of having to worry about having too many based on its easiness.

Music

23. Allow Option for Normal Music - I am not a big fan of the contextual music change from the more traditional type from CK2, I would definitely like the option to just have music play normally. I am sure it would not be that hard to add an option in the settings to change this and to just add the music from CK2 to CK3. This is not that big of an issue because it can be easily modded or to have music from elsewhere playing in the background, but I do not like the performance overhead from something running in the background nor is every person going to mod their game.

Other

24. Allow Option to Hide 3D Portrait During Play & Show Only Face in Events - This is not really necessary but might be a nice option to have anyways, as some people might prefer to have characters take up less space in events and to be more similar to CK2 events where it was only a face portrait. Secondly, having your character taking up space during play might bug those who prefer more screen real estate so allowing them to hide your character might be nice. Though I personally do not mind either, but the option never hurts to have unless of course implementing this would be more trouble than it is worth.

Conclusion

Well I am finally done with all I could remember to write about in regards to what I believe would improve CK3 overall in my own views and opinion. If you did actually manage to read all of this I hope you found my ideas to be interesting enough. I look forward to seeing what other people believe should be done to improve CK3 and who knows, maybe someone on the developer team will read some of our stuff while liking it and actually implement it.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:

Trunting

Lt. General
85 Badges
Apr 14, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
Some time ago, I had posted this in the suggestions forum:

What I think we need a deepened diplomacy and management system.

To achieve this, I would implement the following:

- regional cooperations between vassals in common projects (for example you want to build a great cathedral or fight a common enemy), this could serve as a counterpoint to factions, which currently only destabilize realms

- itinerant courts for western european rulers (the medieval rulers travelled around the country)

- CA being tied to the physical presence of the ruler (in combination with itinerant courts), CA would be on a per county or duchy basis
The ruler would alternate by being either at his court or travelling around. The first would strengthen grandeur towards other realms, the second would strengthen CA within the realm

- an overhaul of the civil war system as such, that you have to make promises to the vassals or allies joining you (suggestion from user secuter)

- secuter's civil war system applied to interrealm diplomacy (other rulers want promises to)
Basically you would make a negotiation before calling your allies, they could also gain territories in the war

- deeper election and regency mechanics (after a ruler dies and it is an elective realm, there would negotiations and promises being made towards other vassals who to support (even implement hooks here)

• 2Like
Reactions:

fodazd

Colonel
37 Badges
Feb 21, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Island Bound
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
My personal opinion on what should be done to improve CK3:
-> Populist factions should not be able to usurp vassal titles without a fight if the liege gives in to their demands. A quick fix for this would be to make the liege always fight the populists, so that I as a vassal can join the war. This is how I currently deal with this in a mod.
-> AI Adulerty should be much less common, or at least it should be moddable to be much less common. See my suggestion here.
-> Restrictions on vassal wars and out-of-realm inheritance from CA should also apply to indirect vassals, but in exchange indirect vassals should be able to join liberty factions against it.
-> Message settings. They need to be brought back.
-> There should be more childhood personality events, and you shouldn't be able to get events with less than 3 trait choices. See my suggestion here.
-> If vassals are at risk of losing land in a liege's war, they should join that war. It is in their own best interest.
-> The default war goal for tyranny wars is questionable. If my liege unjustly revokes my title, then I probably want independence or a claim if I win, and not something useless like depose liege.
-> The war target for independence wars makes no sense. Vassals should not have to occupy the liege's capital in order to win independence, and the liege should not be able to win by ticking warscore just because they have occupied a single rebel province.
-> The defender in a war should be able to choose their war goal. Just getting gold for winning is incredibly underwhelming, especially if I actually wanted to press a claim and now have to occupy everything all over again.
-> The AI in equal and female dominated realms is really bad at making making matrilineal marriages, and it should make more of them. I made a mod that improves this.
-> There are some exploits that should still be fixed, like generating infinite renown through the Mystical Ancestors tradition.
-> Give us the option to increase the overall difficulty of the game via game rules. I actually want to have a challenge.
-> I want to fight as a knight in my own army.
-> Fix the bug where you can't revoke the holdings of different faith holy orders.
-> If a vassal escapes from prison, it should not be tyrannical to re-imprison them.
-> There should be some way to change a holding's type as long as the at least one per county rule is respected. Otherwise, it can be pretty annoying when the AI builds the wrong holding type somewhere you wanted to set up your future capital.
-> Rework events so that they actually make sense given the character's personality. Typical examples of this not being the case are the murders at court event chain, your heir murdering a peasant during a hunt, and an extremely large number of adultery events.
-> Delete events that are just bad and make no sense. Examples of this are your allies being randomly deposed by the footstool event, and the fake bastard event in the intrigue lifestyle (altough that one can more easily be ignored since it was made player-only).
-> Find some way to represent religious and cultural minorities on the county-level.

• 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:

child_of_air

Corporal
Nov 12, 2021
More depth and events with family members, lovers and friends. ( I went into this already in a previous post, but I will mention it again.) This is especially true for children, and even more so for daughters, who typically marry far and away. I want some interaction with my children after they marry, I want to know what is going on in their lives without having to check the family tree. I want notifications when a grandchild is born. I want to know my children are safe, and maybe have some ways to help them if they aren't. Letters would be good. Events would be awesome. I'd like my kids to come visit me when I have a feast!

The game lacks depth between family members, despite the fact that it is based on creating and maintaining a dynasty. I'd also like to have more events with a spouse and lovers. I know so little about my spouses even if we've been married for years. I just really love the roleplaying aspect, and want to feel that fleshed out a bit when it comes to family and people that are important to us.

• 3Like
Reactions:

PDX-Trinexx

Discord Inferno
Community Ambassador
99 Badges
Jan 31, 2022
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • BATTLETECH
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Empire of Sin
I have been thinking about the many features or changes that I would personally implement to improve CK3 in general, according to my tastes and views. While my own post will be quite long, feel free to skip it or skim it and post your own ideas or opinions on how you would improve CK3 as a game.

Hello! This was a really fascinating read and very helpful to the team here. However, we're worried that some of the points/suggestions you've brought up might lose their weight in a wider conversation due to the array of different suggestions here.

For the future, we'd like to suggest making an individual post for each point or category you've brought up, since that makes it easier for us to tell which specific ideas are resonating with the Community here.

In any case, we'll be watching this thread and taking notes from you and others. Thanks for taking the time to give us such a thorough breakdown of your thoughts on the game. It genuinely puts a smile on our faces to see how passionate our players can be.

• 5Like
  • 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:

kviiri

Field Marshal
37 Badges
Jun 22, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
Wrt. boats, I think the case can be made that while transport ships were mostly boring extra micro in CK2, they did in some cases add a degree of strategic depth that the current system cannot emulate. For instance, a realm might not have been able to ship (and most importantly, land!) all their troops at once – something that was ostensibly represented by CK2's limited ships and CK3's recently landed penalty. In practice, neither quite captures the idea well. CK2's model in particular often resulted in mostly every realm having the necessary ships, financed from Vassal pockets.

I propose this: let's not return ships as on-map units, but as a capacity determining how many troops can be deployed overseas at once – a cap on embarked soldiers at a time. And be stingy with it: only realms with several dedicated ports should be able to deploy their full force at a time. Further, emphasize the strategic importance of landing sites by making troop landing slower when landing in an uncontrolled province. (I would support making troops actually land "piecemeal" to represent the organizational challenge, but a more emphasized "recently landed" penalty probably achieves the same result with less ado, albeit less satisfyingly)

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:

Wulf2k

Sergeant
12 Badges
May 2, 2022
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars
  • Shadowrun Returns
-> If a vassal escapes from prison, it should not be tyrannical to re-imprison them.
Most definitely this. Prison in general needs a bit of a touch up, but escaping within a week of losing a devastating war for justice that ravaged the realm should not earn you a tip of the hat and a "well played."

I'd also argue that imprisoning criminals should have an option other than "come on, go to prison, please?" but that would be a more significant change than just restoring the 'can be imprisoned' flag on an escape.

Reactions:

Rifal

Lt. General
38 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Rome Gold
Actual strategic wartime value to provinces. Vital castles, cities and ports to secure supply routes.
Anything to ensure that they AI's method of war is something beyond "Rush B lol"

Reactions:

chr0me

Private
70 Badges
Dec 11, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
Hello! This was a really fascinating read and very helpful to the team here. However, we're worried that some of the points/suggestions you've brought up might lose their weight in a wider conversation due to the array of different suggestions here.

For the future, we'd like to suggest making an individual post for each point or category you've brought up, since that makes it easier for us to tell which specific ideas are resonating with the Community here.

In any case, we'll be watching this thread and taking notes from you and others. Thanks for taking the time to give us such a thorough breakdown of your thoughts on the game. It genuinely puts a smile on our faces to see how passionate our players can be.

Glad to see my post was interesting to read and had some thoughts that were helpful for the team. I made my post a discussion instead of individual suggestions in part because I wanted to have more of a discussion and did not want to spam the suggestions sub-forum. Though, if anyone wants to take any of my points/suggestions and post it on the suggestions sub-forum I certainly wouldn't mind.

Rubidium

Field Marshal
49 Badges
Jul 7, 2011
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
I'd say the single biggest failing for CK3 right now is the war AI. Almost everything else can be handwaived as "it's still early in the development cycle" or whatever, but the war AI is so atrocious as to make warfare a painful chore, which is a big problem considering how huge a part of the game it is.

TL/DR: Have someone do observer mode for a bunch of AI wars, and then for some human-allied joint wars to see what the AI is doing wrong and figure out why. This may require some large scale redesign of the AI, but the current AI is so terrible that it is worth it. I don't expect an AI that can beat a human, no one does. But the current AI is so frustratingly nonsensical in its actions that it actively harms the game.

I'll include a few of my own observations of its failings:

• The AI needs at least some understanding of which provinces give war score and which don't. Right now, it will happily besiege an enemy ally's provinces, despite those not actually providing any war score, and will happily ignore the war goal to go marching around elsewhere.
  • It has a distinct lack of both stick-to-itness to its sieges (it breaks them way to easily)
  • An overwillingness to split up and allow its armies to be defeated in detail (most visible in crusades, but in really any large-scale war its noticeable). I suspect the latter problem is tied to the AI's bungled efforts to manage the supply system; I suspect if supply limits were significantly raised across the board, the AI would be less terrible in general, although I haven't tested this.
  • We really need "attach to army" and "forbid attachments: buttons like essentially every other Paradox game has. I recognize that it could be exploitable, but the current AI is so terrible (especially with AI allies in wars with the player) that it is needed.
  • Less of a "good AI" and more an "enjoyable AI" would be making the AI more willing to fight reasonably equal battles, especially in defense of its territories or sieges. Right now, a good chunk of warfare can be summarized as "chase the AI army around as it runs away," which is neither fun nor particularly immersive, but necessitated by how the war system works. I know early in development there was some discussion about the AI going into a stand-and-fight mode when it was in that situation, where it would find the best terrain it could and make a stand; I don't know what the conditions are for that, but the game would be vastly more enjoyable if that was a more common situation.
  • And I'm not sure if this counts as "war AI" or not, but the AI should be more willing to peace out of unwinnable or less important wars. Right now, it will continue pressing a de jure claim for a single county even as another neighbor is launching a kingdom-level invasion of its entire territory.

Reactions:

FightingFirst

Recruit
64 Badges
Oct 16, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
I agree with lots of these points. I would especially like to see MAA, levies and knights reworked. It just seems oversimplistic and doesnt simulate the medieval world to enough depth imo.

My personal ideas though are:
-Law and order.
Currently its very black and white. On of the big parts of being a ruler was crime and punishment. The current system is lacking at the moment for me.

For example, if there is an adulterer in your kingdom you can lock him up or not do anything. This fails to account for the different nuances of the time. For instance, over the course of the formation of England the punishment has ranged from paying a wergeld, to it being legal to attack another man if they lay with your wife and also being put to death. There are a whole range of outcomes during different periods and in different countries.

For crime in general, you could have events where the individual is tried and what you decide has a range of outcomes depending on whether you are a just character, you let the person off lightly or were overly harsh etc.

You could probably make a small dlc pack on its own just dealing with the intricacies of crime and punishment. It could be tied into when you hold your royal court too.

-Lifestyles.

I currently have a lot of issues with the lifestyle system and feel it needs reforming in a big way. It is too restrictive and one track ie you only focus on one thing at a time. This isnt the case in real life and I dont think it should be so restrictive in game.

You should progress in a particular discipline because you do it not because you are going down a tree. For instance, if my character spends a lot of time as a general and wins wars he should unlock skills that aid him in commanding armies. At the same time as my character is winning wars he is also trying to kidnap his brother to ransom him. Whilst going down this scheme my character would unlock abilities that would aid them in further schemes in the future. This approach is a lot more natural and fluid as opposed to the rigid and unrealistic approach I feel we currently have.

Also somethings should not be tied behind lifestyles. An example of this is the befriend scheme being tied to diplomacy or the abduction scheme being tied to intrigue. These things should be decision the player can make with their stats determining if they are successful. Improving in a particular lifestyle should be flat bonus not a decision locked behind a tree. Ie if my character hire a lot of mercenaries over time he might get a reduction in hiring them

-Battle.

The strategic layer needs a revamp imo. It is like whackamole currently. People before me have made excellent suggestions.

However, my biggest gripe is the lack of flavour when commanding an army my character is in charge of. When the army he is commanding fights he should have events that come up that affect the battle. One such is that he has to fight another character if he leads from the front using the duel system. Another could be that whilst moving to the enemy the army loses its baggage train and you then have a decision about what to do etc. These things would add a lot more flavour to commanding an army and fighting in battles.

-Diplomacy.

There needs to be a revamp to this system. There should be ways to get alliances beyond primarily marrying kids off. I should be able to take hostages to stop people associating with factions or declaring war on me. I should be able to make defensive alliances, non-aggression pacts or even agreements to attack a country at the same time. This is a system that is really shallow at the moment when it should be fleshed out imo.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:

Tschobo

Captain
65 Badges
May 9, 2019
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris
I had own threads for religion and societies once. So I start with a few other things that can be fixed or bug me.

• Populist revolts and religious revolts in larger realms should also affect you as a vassal if you have territory in the region. Do you side with the revolt, or choose to aid the emperor. It is your territory, it should also affect you, as a player.
  • Also for wars that directly affect your territory as a vassal should have you informed. And you should have the opportunity to jump into these conflicts as soon as possible (espescially when your liege is currently weakened)
  • Great Holy Wars need more than one fix:
    • Another AI-Fix that makes Cohesion of the Armies easier. The armies on both sides still have issues that needs to be fixed. Espescially as if one of the armies is able to form a larger blob, it immedieatly curbstomps the other not so cohesive armies and the War is decided.
    • Events. It needs drastically the events. These were some of the funniest parts of CK2. Have events like finding artifacts. Or for a unmarried ruler to meet a potential spouse. Or specific battle events and duels.
    • Crusader States for all Religions: Currently this is even harder to pull of as in CK2 but it would add some flavour. Imagine not taking Jerusalem itself, but the Duchy of Sinai or Antioch. Or for a Norse Holy War the Duchy of Lothain. It is a harder version of playing as a King that was Crowned in this Region, but it would mean much more alternatives.
  • One thing I would do as soon as possible is an Altaic Split. Currently the Altaic/Mongol Look spreads from Pannonia to the Kingdom of Pagan and that is, to put it mildly a disappointment. An aesthetic split into 2 or 3 segments is absolutely necessary. Like, come on, it is just tedious, you want to play as a Tibetian, Burmese or a Han character and have the typical Altaic look.

• 1Like
Reactions:

SethP

Second Lieutenant
60 Badges
Feb 5, 2005
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
I wished the artifacts were tied to the fame of the person who crafted it and the time it served. For example, if a suit of armor or sword was used by William the Conquerer as he conquered England, that should matter more than a sword that did nothing. Unfortunately, the game only acknowledges quality. Both equipment and artifacts (retired weapons/armor) should also have an element of fame to them.

I wish military doctrines were adopted which better affected the style of combat you're going for. For example, I often load up on heavy cavalry for my retinues, but this is really the only way for me to articulate this. I wish it could be something my commanders recognized as well, and choosing these doctrines provided various modifiers. This would also be of particular relevance for the English archery, or the French heavy infantry.

Lastly, though it's rather insignificant, I wish something creative was done with horses. It's one thing to have horses, and it's another thing to have trained battle horses. Also, as a noble person or King, I'd like to be able to seek out the acquisition of the finest horse in the land, or perhaps the world, as my own. Some horses could be more beautiful than any other, further illustrating to the world of my grander. Another horse could be the fastest in the world, winning horse races, etc. Another could be the strongest battle horse, intimidating my opponents on the battlefield and giving me a small bonus in personal combat when in battles (not dueling).

• 2Like
Reactions:

YellowPress

First Lieutenant
1 Badges
Apr 26, 2022
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
I wished the artifacts were tied to the fame of the person who crafted it and the time it served. For example, if a suit of armor or sword was used by William the Conquerer as he conquered England, that should matter more than a sword that did nothing. Unfortunately, the game only acknowledges quality. Both equipment and artifacts (retired weapons/armor) should also have an element of fame to them.
Theres meant to be something like this if the crown wearer keeps dying early but unsure what the triggers are
I wish military doctrines were adopted which better affected the style of combat you're going for. For example, I often load up on heavy cavalry for my retinues, but this is really the only way for me to articulate this. I wish it could be something my commanders recognized as well, and choosing these doctrines provided various modifiers. This would also be of particular relevance for the English archery, or the French heavy infantry.
Eu4 had cultures have specific tactics they could use on their wings, so a Scottish commander could form schiltron which was better than the normal shield wall tactic
Lastly, though it's rather insignificant, I wish something creative was done with horses. It's one thing to have horses, and it's another thing to have trained battle horses. Also, as a noble person or King, I'd like to be able to seek out the acquisition of the finest horse in the land, or perhaps the world, as my own. Some horses could be more beautiful than any other, further illustrating to the world of my grander. Another horse could be the fastest in the world, winning horse races, etc. Another could be the strongest battle horse, intimidating my opponents on the battlefield and giving me a small bonus in personal combat when in battles (not dueling).
Jousts should definitely be in as an actual event set rather than just +opinion with spouse or +prestige event, and byz politics was dominated by the hippodrome

Reactions:

Baron Bratwurst

Best served with sauerkraut
16 Badges
Dec 13, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings III
I posted this suggestion about a year ago:

In a nutshell, information about characters/realms should be discovered by in-game means.
Want to know your opponent's military strength? You have to send in your spymaster and hope their skill is high enough to give you a good estimate.
Want to find a new steward? You need to interact with potential candidates to learn about their skills.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Anna_Gein

First Lieutenant
86 Badges
Jun 3, 2012
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Victoria 2
Broadly speaking, I'd like more player freedom where it makes sense (aka nearly everything) and less freedom where does not make sense (aka all the meme-esque cultural/religious stuff).

Though I doubt the devs will ever follow this general direction. At least not under CK3 lifetime. After all less freedom but an insane freedom for religious and now cultural customisation is the design philosophy the devs adopted to make CK3 different from CK2 + new graphics. So unless cataclysmic DLC release, they can not go back to it.

I'd like the game to seek again more freedom and more depth. Tbh I miss the first DLCs following CK2 released when it felt like the devs were hitting new groups with each new DLC. Some of them turned up mixed in the long run like Republic but it sure was exciting back in the day.

The reality is the devs could add A LOT to the gameplay giving how much happened in the Middle Ages and the wealth of information we have available. There is not even need for an ever larger map. For example, Western European rulers were very active in the economical domain to fine tune and improve their realm's economy. The devs could definitely take the production & trade system from Imperator Rome as a work base and improve it. At least from an historical perspective, it would totally make sense.

Last but not least, the devs shoudl correct CK3 general tone to make it more serious and less GoT / dark sinister parody mood. But I understand some people like it the way it is currently and I also get this is the direction the devs decided (much like the player freedom philosophy).

So overall I do not expect fundamental improvements.

Reactions:

Torredebelem

Lt. General
4 Badges
Feb 17, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
I posted this suggestion about a year ago:

In a nutshell, information about characters/realms should be discovered by in-game means.
Want to know your opponent's military strength? You have to send in your spymaster and hope their skill is high enough to give you a good estimate.
Want to find a new steward? You need to interact with potential candidates to learn about their skills.
For the first part of your suggestion, look no further than HERE.

Reactions: