Your Imperator priorities 2021 Edition

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
d) I would like to see an updated eastern steppe situation. There are very few provinces and the entire region is quite ahistorical. There is nearly no room for the Saka and Kushan migrations that took place in the period.
¡Historical migrations (or dynamic) event chains would be amazing! I am not a historian but I think that there must be several massive migrations in the imperator era.

Reactions:
1: Trade, pls take inspiration from Eu4 but as always add a spice of innovation and upgrading if possible. Heavily focus on a port to port based trade (with a small animation) along with land trade caravans or established trade routes.

2:Buildings: decrease base income across the board so that investments in tax offices, markets are actually important. Currently I basically only build theatre/ temple for assimilation/ conversion. Then demolish and spam library's and academies. Settlements are fine in my opinion as they have they're farm/mine purpose. More realistic and bright photo based art for buildings too please! They're currently very dull.

3. A more dynamic CB system. Please try to ween off the 'fabricate claim' system.

4. Personally I think the game's population needs to be slashed. I think trade goods should not be randomised and population concentrations should be heavily focused around food/ river/ coastal settlements. A population 'base' should be introduced that is only raised through infrastructure, an abundance of food (through harms and granaries built on food sources) and large capitals reliant more on immigration. A plague system then introduced that effects high infrastructure settlements more often. I think this is actually quite an important focus. High pops ruin a lot of game systems especially war score cost as game progresses.

5: Government overhaul along with subject interaction
Differing mechanics between cultural governments. Missions don't add the same element of replayability that a fun mechanic does allowing for different results each playthrough.

6. Finally, diplomacy.

At least now IR actually does feel fun. It used to be a skeleton but now I actually can't go back to Eu4 after playing IR but I miss the strategic depth of trade and the diplomacy of EU4 is far superior. We just need the same depth but the interactions adjusted to fit the era.

• 6Like
Reactions:
hmmm, just got sight of this thread... 3 changes.... hmmm.....

I have just one proposal:

Look at history and model after it. There are many good books on the time period.

Sum of the current numbers of priorities:

1. Trade: 15
2. Diplomacy (incl. subjects): 10
3. Characters (incl. families): 9
4. Tribes (government incl. migratory tribes): 9
5. Economy and population: 8
6. Flavour: 6
7. Government types (all three major within one post): 6
8. Cultures and Religions*: 5
9. Buildings: 4
10. Republic government: 4
11. Food system/management (improvements, changes): 3
12. Internal politics (including civil war improvements): 3
13. Mid and late game features**: 3
14. Further military features/improvements: 2
15. Monarchy government: 1

*further changes to the current system plus more distinction between different cultures and religion
**playstyle changes over the course of a campaign, crisis, tribe migrations, etc.

Imo some topic merges, which may show in which greater areas of the game updates are requested:

1. Economy* - trade, economy and pops, buildings, food: 30
2. Government types - all, monarchy, republic, tribal**: 20
3. Characters and Politics: 12
4. Diplomacy (incl. subjects): 10
5. Flavour: 6
6. Culture and Religion: 5

*I know it's a very big category, but these aspects are interwined and would make a great larger update someday (or maybe split into two medium ones)
**tribes are considered as the most important

Some notes: Single mentioned priorities are not included, if they didn't fit in any of the categories above. Also different detailed priorities are in the same category as long as they share the same overall topic. Posts with more than three priorities got all of them taken into account, but if somebody wrote more than one priority that matches the same category within his post, it only got counted once. If one priority includes several categories, they got split. E.g. a trade, economy and pop priority is seperated in one count for trade and one for economy and population. Categories with two or more aspects are merged, because they are most of the time mentioned together. Specific faction DLCs are not included, because there are just about 2 to 3 different posts including them different factions currently.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
1. More challenging empire management.
Currently the game very rapidly reaches a point where you become the dominant regional power and no longer have any serious rivals. At that point the game loses a lot of its tension and appeal since from then on it is just a slow jog to the end. Now this isn't a bad thing. Historically the Roman Republic already reached this point after the Punic Wars, when it got rid of its only serious regional rival. But Roman politics didn't stop being exciting. External threats to the Roman state were rapidly replaced by internal threats from issues such unrest arising from economical inequality and class struggle, disloyal generals, governors and political factions and political rivalries. The game already has mechanics in place to simulate a lot of this, but I feel that they currently lack impact. These are challenges that could (and did) make or break historical empires, but as of now it usually amounts to little more than minor annoyances as you continue to paint the map. Most wars the Romans fought were not fought against "barbarians", but against other Romans. And other empires at the time weren't any better when it comes to civil wars and break-away factions. The primary challenge in the game I feel should not be to just build and expand an empire, but rather to maintain it and keep it from tearing itself apart. This would also help set the game apart from the EU series which generally already focuses a lot on the map-painting and empire-building. It would be good to see IR become more of its own thing.
This is the most important issue for me atm. The game is missing a long term challenge which could be reached by improving all that is being said about economy, trade, pops, buildings asf.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Sum of the current numbers of priorities:

1. Trade: 15
2. Diplomacy (incl. subjects): 10
3. Characters (incl. families): 9
4. Tribes (government incl. migratory tribes): 9
5. Economy and population: 8
6. Flavour: 6
7. Government types (all three major within one post): 6
8. Cultures and Religions*: 5
9. Buildings: 4
10. Republic government: 4
11. Food system/management (improvements, changes): 3
12. Internal politics (including civil war improvements): 3
13. Mid and late game features**: 3
14. Further military features/improvements: 2
15. Monarchy government: 1

*further changes to the current system plus more distinction between different cultures and religion
**playstyle changes over the course of a campaign, crisis, tribe migrations, etc.

Nice work!

Seeing as economy is definitely a community priority I'd like to add that I'd love to see it rebalanced along the lines of agrarian/ slave/ war haul (tributes and indemnities).

There's a lot of modernist approaches to how economy should be managed in the game comparing the economy to Vicky 2 and what not but that's not representive of the era at all. The food system in the game SHOULD be the economy. It should be the drive for everything. Grain, wine, olives and livestock should be the main arteries of the economy in the game. They determine what areas of the map are rich (Italy, sicily, North africa, Egypt, mesoptamia) there are more but the desire to control food sources should be a casus belli in itself I think.

• 8Like
Reactions:
The food system in the game SHOULD be the economy. It should be the drive for everything. Grain, wine, olives and livestock should be the main arteries of the economy in the game. They determine what areas of the map are rich (Italy, sicily, North africa, Egypt, mesoptamia) there are more but the desire to control food sources should be a casus belli in itself I think.
This. Theres no economic pop and trade overhaul without reworking food to give it much more important and realism to how its produce, fertility, consumption, growth and sustainability of cities, which pops produce it under what legal system and where etc etc.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Oh, another think that bugs the shit out of me. I wanna change a province capital of a client or feudatory. Any penalty is fine as long as its possible... (I don't care how "historically accurate" it is)

Has anyone talked about a music player ? I wish there was one in the game to listen to the beautiful music.

IIRC it exists in the files, but was never actually implemented and enabled inside the game by the devs.

There was a mod back in 2019 which managed to partially enable it. Haven't checked if it works now.

• 2Like
Reactions:
1. AI improvements: I am one on of the biggest fan of this game, but every time my AI ally just stands there, letting me get stack-wiped, I close the game and I open Eu4 instead.

2. Trade overhaul: if Imperator is an empire builder, the economic system really needs to be more interesting. Right now it's basicly "will this one tag finally let me have his one iron? Or not." Also, the fact that you make money while importing resources makes it so theres not a big economical advantage in controlling production.

3. More culture specific content. I think Paradox actually puts a lot of time and thoughts on this one so I'm not too much worried.

This might be obscure, but I REALLY want pops to convert to an integrated culture of the same type instead of the primary culture of a country.

I.E. playing as the Seleucids, Medians convert to Persians (an integrated culture of the Persian cultural group) and Assyrians convert to Babylonians, instead of the current system (Medians and Assyrians convert to Macedonians).

I wonder if that would be moddable. It's probably silly, but I hate having huge swathes of the East all set as Macedonian instead of the more logical progression of an accepted local culture.
I think it would be great if we can designate an integrated culture for each province that the other cultures would assimilate to.

• 1Like
Reactions: