• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yup; for me here aswell... always can use the extra money. Money I can then use building 5 Outposts and an Embassy (NE) and get those Dwarven and Gnomes anyways. Now if it wasn't so that for unknown reason Gnomes get slower than a peasent with a large city... *sigh*

Oh, yeah, favorite heroes. My 3 (in no perticular order):

*Cultist. There huggable! Even (especially) as bear. Who cares they can't most enemies and do pathetically little damage. Atleast they do it fast. And when they are a bear; though enemy who damages them; just waiting for the WoD's to come walking in...
* WoD's. They start out pretty weak. But since they gain +1 parry and dodge per level and get HP's very fast; high leveled ones get alot less hit and hit like nothing (ok, barbarians are better at that; but they die even faster). A single one can go take down a daemonwood with a single heal, just to kill the 2 after that with none... Also quite the dragonkillers; if they attack the skeletons instead of the WoD atleast.
* Priestesses. Life leech. Loads of skeletons who give XP to the priestess for fighting... but also for getting rid of the blackness of the map! Stops dragons. Gets pathetically easily killed (more so than Wizards because they go out more). Can charm Vampires, but just doesn't. Prob. lvl 8 after the first encounter with something tough (if she lives). Despite all the negative points enough for me to like the character.

Hmmm... looks like I like the Chaos/Death combo, wonder why these where my first three HoA chars ;)

My least favorite 3 (in the same no particular order)
* Dwarves. Slow, just too slow. The building is nice; but they fight when they should build, and build while they should fight. Balista is nice though. If you get them during a quest they are usually far away from your base; and thus never get healing potions.
* Elves. Weak, pathetic. Sure, they might have a little bit better skill than archers, but they are way smarter, and do usefull things like exploring, instead of going from Inn to Inn gathering a measerable amount of cash. Are done for once poisoned (Elven Treachery anyone?). 95% of the times I get an Elven Bungalow I never recruit Elves, or till I have a decent gold amount and lvl 3 Krypta/Agrela
* Monks. Just not that big a fan of them. They are slow, and while they are powerfull they do seem to have an awefull wish to die. Never seen any monk carrying potions. Should have used the PC-Game Silver's "Hoedja-hee" as warcry ;)

*reads a topic in the games section of the HoA Dev-forums* maybe such a thread for buildings would wield interesting results too...

I just don't like paladins, in any setting.
In fairness, I find Paladins spend plenty of time hunting down monsters for next to nothing, reward flags are a relatively minor consideration for them.
And I like elves! Elven lounges are just so damned pretty, I hardly have the heart to demolish them. And gambling halls can actually be very useful for keeping your heroes close at home at a very modest cost- high artifice heroes will actually make money, too.

Favorites:
* Priestesses - I just love having an army of skeletons fighting for me.
* Healers - they are great in all settings
* Barbarians - Unleashing the "Rage of Krolm" is great, even if it's costly.

Least favorites:
* Paladins - they never do what I want them to do.
* Wizards - at higher levels I love Wizards, but I'm getting sick of all the "I'M MELTING" sounds from dying wizards. Attacking Shadows who have anti-magic doesn't seem too smart either...
* Dwarves - I find them boring.

/F

Fredrik II said:
* Paladins - they never do what I want them to do.
Strange; they almost always do what I want theM to...

Favorites:
Monks: Quick to level up and once they are level 4 you can pretty much leave them on their own to go out and destroy everything in their path especially once they reach level 7. Plus critical hits!

Wizards: Mine usually don't have very long lives because I'm not the best baby sitter in the world but it really is great when a level 5 wizard shows up next to the enemies building and just wipes them out.

Solarii: Mostly from mp w/NE when there would be massive battles in the middle of the map between 10 level 12 solarii on either side until one player ran out of money to pay for the healing spells first.

Just as a note, I find the Elven Lounges and Gambling Halls very useful as "building fodder" for monsters to come and attack and get delayed so my heros and get over and attack them :) Once they're off the repair queue, of course...

I see a few of you don’t like wizards.

There is no reason for them to be effective if you don’t lead them wisely.

Wizard guilds are available at tier 2. But there is really no reason to recruit wizards until a fairground is up and running.

Wizards have two roles, late game siege artilleries and massive money makers. With a fairground, four wizards can make money faster then a fully upgraded market with elves. And a guild of wizards can decimate a wave of monsters faster then you can say “boo”.

Low level wizards die quickly, let’s why you keep your fairground on Magic contests and give each wizards 100 gold as he is recruited using the reward flag. Alternatively you can use the embassy to recruit already competent for no less then three times the gold.

Doesn't a Fairgrounds need a level 3 Palace? That's a long time before you get a Wizard....

I get a Wizard's Guild sometime after I upgrade to level 2 Palace, because it has a lot of HPs and is self-repairing for a bit, and try to place in the path of some monsters. Then I recruit ONE Wizard and hot-key him. I keep tabs on him, casting Invisibility when I need to, until he gets to level 4 and can learn Flame Strike (or whatever the spell is) and then he can largely take care of himself - since it's in the path of monsters and more than likely be attacked, leveling up shouldn't be a problem. 400 gold for Invisibility is cheaper than the 500 recruitment AND 1500 Resurrect :). Then I repeat while my first Wizard is (hopefully) getting stronger and getting to level 7 and Meteor Storm :)

Spiderman said:
...until he gets to level 4 and can learn Flame Strike (or whatever the spell is)
...until he gets to level 3 and can learn Fire Blast.

LOL... you can see how long it's been since I've played... :D

Yeah, level 3... which is even better, as you only have to wait two level raises instead of three... :)

In southern quest I prefer Pallys, though in just about all northern quest I think WoDs own with there Tri strike and Howl of Terror.

COME TO PAPA!

Least favorite hero would be...besides gnomes, warriors. They just always tend to die with me.

I always place my Wizards in the path of danger. Because really; once an enemy attacks and 4 wizard's pop out does it have time to circle and attack? ;) and it levels them nicely ofcourse.

No; the "Wizard killer" is undiscovered terrain. Since they wanna explore and your Rangers have been working already some time they go over half the map; just to flee back (SLOWLY) half the map. If you have a fully-explored map they don't... and live longer as a result.