• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A little break from the amazing pace you set is okay :D

You Win or You Die. The Story of Joy and Misery of Parties.​

The Heart of Burgundy was full of life and joy after the recent victory. Children ran and barely avoided collisions with other children and servants and nobles. Hugues smiled sadly as he watched the normal life of a castle, unaware life. Unaware of death and destruction that war bought them. The war that gave them peace. A costly peace. Every man he had lost under his command, he had morned. Servants bowed, maids curtsied, smiles on their faces, lower nobles bowed deeply, higher nobles nodded their heads as they passed. As if winning the war was any consolation for the families and loved ones left behind by the dead.

Another thing was disturbing his thoughts. Before Hugues had seen respect and loyalty in bows, curtsies and nods given with smile, now he saw some hidden schemes and evil deceit behind them. If a Duke can betray his word so easily, then what there is to stop everybody else from it. He understood his Lord Father's reasons for betraying his given word and he dared not think what might have happened if the Duke had kept his word. But Hugues knew he would never give a promise he dared not keep, not to mention what he didn't intend to keep. He would be a better man than that. I will be a better Duke than my father.

"Isn't it wonderful?" his Lady Wife Cecile of Provence asked, bringing Hugues back from his world of thoughts. She was wearing a beautiful crimson silkdress. Her golden hair was shiningly reaching down to her bottom and covering her bare shoulders and her heavy-with-child stomach. She was beautiful and for a second he forgot what she had asked.

"What is wonderful, my Lady?" he asked as he returned a polite nod to a shouther lord.

"Today's event of course. King Philippe riding here in such a haste that one would think that an enemy army was behind him. He left his host behind and entered the City alone on his white stallion as a lowly knight. Only to beg Duke's daughter's hand," she spoke, her brilliant blue eyes shining with excitement. Hugues wandered if his eyes would ever shine in such a fashion again. War took that part out of him. Only time would tell if permanetly.

"Trust me, my Lady, folowing enemy would make a man move much faster than that," he answered unthinkingly the first thing that came to mind. "Forgive me, my love. Yes, it is wonderful. I'm happy for Beatrix. Both, for the bethrothal, as for not getting on the bad side of the Duke for keeping an exchange of letters with the King himself in secret. Yes, God is smiling on them," he added quickly before the excited shine could disappear from her eyes. He smiled to her as her shining eyes looked up to his face.

"Yes, God is smiling to them. I think marrying out of love is even more wonderful," Cecile said. Hugues loved that about her. In private she said what she thought with no concern what her words might cause. Mostly marriages were agreed long before the children came of age. He and Cecile had married this way. Hugues were already considering possible candidates for his soon to born first child. They had only met once before the wedding day and that was very long time ago. They had married as strangers.

"Have I not earned your love? Have I been a bad husband?" he asked summoning a worried expression.

"No! Of course not," she said hurriedly, "You know what I mean, my love." She hit him lightly to the ribs when Huges smiled, amused with himself. "I must admit that I was scared. No, I won't lie. I was terrified when we stood before the priest. I trembled and I trembled even more by worrying that you might take it amiss."

"I was scared also. I feared to be bad husband," he admitted and added with a little grin, "And I was terrified about not knowing how you look." Cecile smiled, understanding that he had never feared so. "God smiled on me that day," he admitted and looking deep into her eyes he added, "and still does." They reached their destination. King Philippe had arrived three weeks ago and by now his army had reached Dijon, which was overcrowded and crime was rising every day. Hugues thanked the God that every noble took a large retinue with them. They helped keep the order. Two of the King's guardmen with blue cloacks stood on the both sides of Henri's appartments. For the last month it had been in Philippe's command.

They were admitted in and Hugues was taken aback by the amount of people that was invited to this little gathering. The king wanted to get to know his subjects and when ever has there been a better time and place, than a week before the great wedding of king and his beloved fiancé. There were men and women in bright colors and servants in colors of their lords or ladies. Eudes, his brother and new Count of Savoie was in the circle of highest lords. Guillaume of Nevers senior was there, but standing quietly and seemingly unaware of people around around him. He also represnted his son Caunt of Auxerre, who was bedsick. Henri Duke of Burgundy was speaking vividly with King Philippe. And then there were the regents, Robert of Macon, representing Errard Count of Macon. Guy of Macon had got a wound in the Battle of Vienne and just recently had passed away. Robert had trouble getting his words out straight, so he spoke only if spoken to. And the other one was the only woman, mother and regent to Count of Chalons Pierre of Semur, Adelais. Her beauty and a sweet tounge had got her a powerful place among the men. She knew she had a great influence over men who couldn't see deeper than the skin and she used it. Right now she was speaking with Eudes her hands touching him, her body leaning on him. But it all seemed somehow natural. As if she would be out of place if she wouldn't act so.

There were minor nobles talking among themselves, negotiating deals, alliances, marriages. But mostly they held to their fellow vasslas. Only the lords sworn to Count of Nevers and Count of Auxerre hold together. They were many, almost as much as lords sworn to Burgundy. The smallest group of men were King's vasslas as he hadn't taken many with him as he rode east. Robert, his uncle and new Marshal of Burgundy was quietly staring out of a window and sipping his wine. Robert, his younger brother and Chancellor of Burgundy was drinking his drink in vivid conversation with one of Burgunian swornlord. Most of the women were gathered around Beatrix, who was beaming with excitement and happiness. Newly arrived and wed Ingegerd the Goldenhair was towering over other women in her golden dress in the colors of Savoie as she was married to Eudes. Even Cecile's yellow hair paled compared to this northern girl. He left his wife and joined his father.

"My son, our good King was just telling us how stubborn these Germans are. They have lost a battle after battle. Against their own ambitious vassals, against Frenchmen, against Englismen even against Italians. But their Emperor won't back down," Duke Henri began after the proper greetings were done with.

"In fact I was so used to their stubborness, that as I rode here I made plans how to force you into giving your daughter's hand to me," the King laughed, "But then I remembered that we are Frenchmen. It is good to be back among true people. I swear, would Germans frow horns and a tail, noone would mistake them for a human." Now everybody laughed. Hugues spotted his wife, talking to his brother Robert, laughing. Thant cut off his own laughter as a sword cuts through flesh.

"I should pay a visit to this Emperor Heinrich. I wonder if he will be as stubborn when I'm done with him," Adelais said with a thoughtful grin, her forefinger touching her corner of slightly open mouth. Eudes smiled down to her like a fool. Hugues wiped his own smile from his face before anybody could notice.

"I will keep that in mind," Philippe answered thoughtfully, "should they be as stubborn after the winter." Guillaume of Nevers excused himself and joined Hugues's uncle Robert by the window. Slowly, one by one, sworn men of House Nevers moved to block the two from his view. They also talked louder than before. Making sure that noone wouldn't hear their conversation? Hugues watched around and it seemed that he was the only one that had noticed it. He returned to paying attention to the King's voice, when he heard Eudes ask, "Amadeo of Savoie is in Paris?" Forgetting proper manners.

"Yes, my lord," Philippe began, sounding a little upset, but he answered, "He came looking for his old master, Tiziano. My castellan couldn't help him, but he does let him spend his winter in Paris." Eudes calmed as Philippe didn't mention anything about chaning the ruler of Savoie. "My castellan also writes that you had an interesting deal with Artaud, Henri." He added after giving it little thought, "Yes, interesting indeed." Hugues saw that Cecile and Robert were still smiling and talking softly. He felt anger boiling.

"I'm glad you liked it, Majesty," Duke Henri answered, pleased with himself.

"See that you keep your word to me and you won't go unrewarded," King Philippe told with a small hint of a threat. Henri seemed to understand and promised to keep his oaths given to true men. True meaning Frenchmen like Philippe had said, or true as the men who are worth it? Hugues was disgusted with himself for seeing treachery everywhere, but he couldn't stop thinking that way.

"It's a bad sign, the death of Guy of Macon. Only two week before the wedding," Philippe said sadly.

"There is no need to worry, Majesty," Henri reassured him, " I set the priests to pray for his soul and in a week he will be resting in peace in the Kingdom of Heaven. After a week you will be married and I'm sure my daughter will give you all the joy of the world." Hugues saw how Robert touched his wife's big stomach and he couldn't stand it any more. He excused himself quickly and strided to them.

"Excuse us, Chancellor. I must speak to my Lady Wife urgently," he told to Robert, grabbed Cecile by her elbow and hurriedly walked out of the room. He didn't stop or loosen his grab before they were in their rooms. Her questions and complaints went unanswered. Her sad and hurt face was tearing a piece out of his heart, but he was man and would take it. Their unusal manner of walking, him striding in front, her being led a few steps behind, was noted by quite many people. Right now, Hugues didn't care.

"Why do you dishonor me so, my Lady Wife?" he asked after he barred their door. They had always used first names in private. Cecile's face covered with dread as she heard the question. "Why do you smile and laugh with Robert as if you were the closest lovers?" Cecile sat on a armchair, shaking lightly. Hugues was merciless. "Why don't you answer? Do you fear to lie?" She began to weep and shaking even harder.

"I..never intended to dishonor you, my love," she began, "You were far away and I was with child. It gets lonely here with so few people. One may wander about for days without meeting anyone but servants." Hugues heart started hammering with anger about whathe was hearing. "Robert kept me company and were a great friend. No more, no less. I swear to you," she continued and lowered herself to her knees in front of Hugues. She took his hand and pressed it against her face. "I swear to you!" Hugues was out of words. He had waited for begging for forgiveness, demanding proof, anything but this. Would any woman lower herself to her knees and swear so? Hugues cursed that he had so little knowledge of women.

He did what his heart told to do. "No, you don't kneel to me," he helped her stand, "Your word is enough for me." He wiped away her last tears and kissid her to the forehead. After a while standing there motionlessly he added, "But I don't want to see you in his company again. I may kill him." At first he thought that he had hurt her somehow by hugging her, but as he stepped away, Cecile was holding her stomach and crying out, "It is time!"

Next morning he was holding his firstborn son, Richard, in his arms.

Some interesting developments.
Spothisto said:
I will be a better Duke than my father.
This sounds ominous and with Hugues seeing betrayal all around him, will he try to overthrow the duke or is it another who tries. Oh, how I love intrigues :D

You Win or You Die. Story of Cicle of Life.​

The Heart of Burgundy was full of people through the winter. Lords and Ladies who had come to celebrate their monarchs wedding and see the new quenn, stayed for the whole winter. King and Queen blessed Dijon with their presence through the cold months. The winter was harsh and cold, snows heavy. But it was short, as if the harshness came because god wanted it to be over faster. Already in february armies began to depart Dijon. Queen left for Paris. Lords and LAdies left for their homes. King rode east, leaving a child in his new wife's belly. And Burgundian nobles stayed in their now empty Heart.

His sittingroom's one wall was decorated with flags of diferent colors. There were light greyish blue, as rain in a sad spring's morning. Then there were bright yellow, that shone like warm sunshine through the blue rain. Dark orange from his father's time had little value in this room. And everything was dominated by the crimson wall, his color. Burguny's color. The rest were defeted enemies's colors. Dauphine Viennoi's blue, Savoien gold, Neuchatel orange. And he was about to add one more. A black with golden stripes, Count of Geneve.

His fourth son had the credit for that. He had just recently turned sixteen, but he had an excelent mind. Ready and eager to scheme. When Henri looked at him holding a winegoblet and looking into the fire in the heart with sad desperate eyes, shadows dancing on his hunched back, he thought that noone would take him for his new master of spies. Renaud's limbs were all bones and skin, no meat between them. His especially made dark coat looked slept with and his curly brown hair was a mess. He could walk the streets and noone would look at him twice. Perhaps the hunch would draw eyes, but it would be weird if it didn't. People around the castle thought Henri kept him close for pity. At first he had, but now he didn't even notice Renaud's hunchback.

Henri looked at his Victory Wall and began to doubt that it could be so easy. "Are you sure? Are you sure that your sources don't lie to you?" Henri asked worriedly.

"Enough silver makes people sing to you. I am sure. He was seen riding towards Dijon yesterday. He should arrive today. Don't worry, you will get your pledge tonight," he answered in his sly manner. Looking toward Henri from under his lowered brows as if seeing plans and opportunities everywhere. Henri would have given everything, that Hugues would have the same nature. He might survive longer. Renaud had gotten quite a few rivals during his education years in the matters of court. They had died. Apparently while sleeping. Henri began to doubt it now.

"I want no traces leading to me. King Philippe made quite clear that he would not like me doing something that again."

Renaud sighed, "You have reminded that to me for several times. I know for a fact that Gerold of Geneve believes the Emperor ordered him to attack Valais, offering help should someone intervene. Guillaume of Semur's master seems to be quite cheap and after getting some new toys, Guillaume has a great singing voice." Guillaume of Semur was a young page to Count Gerold and a brother to underaged Count of Chalons. Renaud looked to take pleasure from putting Adelais's son to risky position. "His mother Adelais seems to turn very chaste around me," Renaud mused. He who had suffered mocking for his whole sixteen winters, could not endure that a woman who flirted with everybody, would not even look at him. Henri looked into his son's eyes and pitied Adelais, who would find herself soon in a tight position.

It seemed that Adelais of Phonthieu, Regent of Chalons was leading his son towards an unacceptable goal. They had reason to believe she had plans to defy them with the help of her mother Adelaide of Normandy, who happend to have the whole dutchy of Oxford behind her. But this worry was for the future. "I'll make her an offer she can't refuse," Henri calmed his son hoping he wouldn't do anything drastic. He rose from his chair and refilled his and his son's cups with a good Burgunian wine. Servants had been sent away for this conversation. In public they were a father and a deformed son. Henri treated him with pity and Renaud played a desperate son.

"Here," he offered his son, "I have an idea what could melt both of our problems." Put he was cut off.

"What problems are those, Henri?" Agnes asked as she stepped into his sittingroom from his bedroom, all dressed up and ready for a new day. Henri wondered how he she had managed to dress all by herself, as servants were away. She went to the window and opened the curtains. "Lets let some spring's sun in," she said while at it. Warm sunlight shone over them. Dark room was suddenly bright and colorful. Renaud was gone before the sunlight reached him near the fireplace. Agnes raised her eyebrow in question as she saw only her husband. "Who was that man?" she asked. The room had been darker than it had seemed. For the better.

"Noone you need worry about nor any problems you need troubling your mind," he answered simply and strode towards her and kissed her. They had married for political matters. For the same reason his father had married her. Hoping to inherit her father's dutchy in some distant future. Now it was her underaged brother's dutchy. Agnes's and the Old Duke's only son Aimery was third in line in inheritance. Now it was something more. A marriage of love.

"We could hasten the process," Renaud had said him few weeks ago, "I hear Duke Raimund and his brother Mateu are learining how to ride. Awfully lot accidents happen while riding horses I'm told. And Aimery is still in such a fragile age. Anything could put off his candle. Suddenly, you would be Duke of Burgundy and Aquitaine." At that moment Henri knew what a monster he had bred, but a clever monster. After he had firmly forbidden any kind of child accidents, Renaud had never mentioned it again.

They ate breakfast in the same room and spent most of the day there. There was nothing to do before a certain messenger arrived. They ate lunch, they were interrupted, they were entertained by singers and musicians. Mostly an uninteresting day, empty of events. Until a messnger arrived. "From somewhere southeast, Your Grace. By the looks and sound of him, I would say southeast, yes," an old servant said. The stranger was admitted into his rooms. "Do not recieve him in the Great Hall. It would seem that you show people what you managed to do and might blow traitorous winds towards you," Renaud had advised this early morning.

Now the stranger entered. Henri sat on his highbaked chair, Agnes at his right shoulder. Messenger's ragged grey coat was smoothed to be as presentable as it could. His nervous eyes were looking around anxiously. Henri motioned him to talk after he had rosen from his knees. By his appearance, Henri couldn't understand how that old servant had identified him from southeast. Maybe he saw him approache the city from that direction.

"I come from Countess Hedwiga of Valais," messenger began, "Carrying her words as she spoke them to me, to give them to you." Henri couldn't speak, his voice might have betrayed him and his goals. He was pleased and happy that it worked. Motioning him to continue, the messenger did, "I pledge my loyalty and love to you and your House. Let the God be witness to my words and punish me should I break them. The words of my Countess. Your Grace, our lands are invaded as we speak. My mistress askes for your help."

And so it began again. A Cycle of Life. A new spring and a new war. Knights were rallied. Lords were called to arms. Armies were mustered. And rode to south east began.

I caught up to my gaming process. Have to play some more before I can write more. I hope the war goes well.

I don't know how much I will be able to spend on writing in the weekend as I got Mass Effect and it is quite interesting.

Anyway, do you guys think that I should use some pictures from events in the game? Or are the maps ok?

Thanks for your replies. They are very encouraging.

Hey Spothisto! Glad you asked about the pics. I have started reading your AAR, and I am really impressed by your writing. You have a fine style. But for me personally, long texts on screen without pictures don't work. I find reading long and unbroken blocks of texts from a screen very tiring, so at least I myself would very much like more pictures to break up the blocks of really fine writing.

On a second thought, maybe I should go and read a graphic novel instead. With many pics and few words. :D

I think the format is fine the way it is. A lot of pictures will just distract from the story.

You Win or You Die. A Story of Plans.​

Trees where thinning and more summer's sunshine touched the ground as they rode towards Dijon. Green leaves and and flowers of every color shined happily under warm light. As always Henri pitied his guardsmen, who followed him in in their heavy armor on foot, while he was on his horse trying to get some air moving under his cloack. Their blood must be boiling, if I sweat as if it were raining and that only with a light coat. Kennelmaster was busy holding his dogs at bay. They were good animals and kennelmaster's pleased face showed as much. Henri had ordered a whole deer to be given to the dogs for their good service. Servants carried killed prey further back, behind household knights who had decided to accompany their leader. The game had been good as limited amount of servants was hard pressed by the weight of deer's and boar's meat they carried.

"You have a good hand, Lord Jakob," Henri told to his young companion. Jakob von Luxenburg, Duke of Luxenburg was eleven years old boy who had rebelled the Emperor and was now looking for alliances elsewhere. He intendedto be a good friend to this child and only to this child, not to the man riding a little way back. Otto von Luxenburg, Steward and Regent for his cousin. Henri had learned the usefulness of ignoring regents and advisors for underaged rulers. And he intended to continue so to his death. That's why he was riding with his fellow duke separated from other. To show Regent Otto his proper place. Among lowly knights. "If every hand in your service is as good, I am truly blessed to call you my friend," he continued as Jakob had killed a deer with a straight shot through its's heart and had drawn first blood of a huge boar with his small spear.

"Lord Henri, you exaggerate. Your forest is the cause of our good game. If there wouldn't have been so many animals to hunt, there wouldn't have been so great a catch. And I am sure that servants would be much happier, had it been poorer," Jakob said, after a glance towards the servants, with a laugh. He sees what is going around. Good, thought Henri hoping Jakob would sense what was happening to his Regent and would become more commanding, but at the same time more accepting to his advice. "I had heard that you war with the Emperor again? In Luxemburg it has become a saying. 'Lords of Burgundy are making German summers as cold as any winter,' town's folk says," Jakob enquired, "Which is only good as Emperor's power has reigned over too much land far too long. Someone had to show him teeth."

Henri began to laugh. Seeing Jakob's challenging face he apologised. "It seems this summer's winter was a short one," Henri began his amusing story, "My brother Sir Simon reached Geneve and captured a weak holdfast near the border. He stayed there to wait for my son Hugues reinforcements. Spring was barely over, when a messenger from Count Gerold of Geneve arrived to Dijon. He told me that his Lord surrenders all his lands and incomes of Geneve to me!" Both dukes laughed hard and long. It had been on every mouth in Dijon for the whole month and it didn't seem to get old. "Gerold the Joker, small folk call him," Henri continued after he had regained his breath, "Anyway, when I ordered the messenger to return to his Lord he stayed there and looked at me ununderstandably. I asked why he didn't go. He answered that he was already in his lord's presence!" And they laughed some more.

"But how did Emperor Heinrich reacted?"

"It seems he was tired of winter and offered peace to King Philippe soon after. And he of course commanded us to cease all hostilities towards the Emperor. Robert! But messaged move slowly and armies are hard to keep under firm control. Men gathered to kill want to do their purpose." Robert the Chancellor came as called. "Robert, tell our dear friend where are Hugues and his army," Henri commanded.

Robert smiled as always and summoned that special expression that made you listen closely. "Well, well. On my last reports they were going through border villages of Bearn. But I am sure messengers with the message to return wil soon reach them. My lord, it is very sad that innocent peasants should suffer because horses were slow." Anybody who didn't know him might have believed his sorrowful voice, but Henri heard only mockery in his words.

"Winter might be longer than the Emperor had hoped for," Jakob told understanding.

They left the woods behind and the walls of Dijon were growing bigger and bigger as they approached it. They had left four days ago and at te forth midday they were back. Soldiers waved their spears and swords as they rode through the citygates. They had left the main party far behind and now only Robert and few guardsmen rode with the Dukes as they entered the Heart of Burgundy. Guardsmen greeted them with cheers and spear waving. With Jakob's retinue that he had brought from Luxemburg living in the Castle, it was easy to forget that most of Burgundian nobility was still gathered in east. Courtyard was crowded by strange and unfamiliar people speaking strange lanuguage. He sent Jakob to get some rest for evening's feast as killed animals needed eating and who else better for the job than their killers. He intended to get some rest himself.

But it wasn't allowed to him. Agnes gave him most warm welcome under soft silk sheets and just as he was about to fall asleep cuddling his wife in his arms, a loud knock came at the door to the sitting room. Henri wanted to ignore it, to rest with her lovely Duchess, but Agnes showed him out of the bed. Henri sighed, "That is what you get when forget to give orders not to be disturbed." But he went after he had slipped on a warm robe.

"What is it?" he asked as he was putting on his new washed clothes.

"It is me," Robert the Chancellor said as he came in unadmitted, "and in no mood to be waiting behind doors." By his looks Robert had not gotten any rest. He wore the same clothes and not happy about it. He climpsed into the bedroom, where Agnes's figure was clearly visible under thin sheets. He smiled. Henri had no patience for his son's insolence. He said as much adding, "tell what you came to tell and be gone."

"I came to tell you that Robert of Flandre is here. He claims he have private matters to discuss with you. He don't speak of them to me. Your Grace," Robert said, remembering his place at the and.

"Robert of Flandre? Which?" Henri asked.

"Younger. Says he is a messenger for his father Robert, Count of Ypren."

"I'll welcome them in here, if their matter is so private."

"But, Your Grace, there are other petitioners."

"You deal with them. I have enough to do. Go fetch this Robert of Flandre!" he ordered, but his son didn't listen.

"I have learned of one petition. It seems few villages of Charolais have had a poor year and are starving. They chose a representative among themselves and ushered himinto Dijon begging for help. It seems local lords don't care about their problems. I think this matter is beyond my power to handle. What shall I answer them?"

"Send them help. Gold, let them puy their own resources. No go bring them here!" Henri decided unthinkingly, not considering his decision's consequences.

They came soon. Robert the Chancellor made proper introductions and left to hear the petitioners. Robert of Flandre was leading three men. All high lords of Ypren. "I understood that this was a private matter," Henri said looking at the three behind Robert.

"Private among Burgundians, Your Grace," he answered and Henri was taken aback, when Robert kneeled and offered him a letter. He accepted it, but didn't open it.

"What does it say, my lords?" he asked.

They shared a look and Robert answered, "My father offers you alliance." Henri sensed that there was more to it by his tone and asked as much. "You see everything, Your Grace," Robert answered again, "Everybody have heard about our new Queen's beauty. We have also heard that she bears his first child in her womb. God seems to favour Burgundians and we are sure she bears you a healty grandson." Henri began to understand what this Count of Ypren was after and he didn't like it.

"We are also sure that he would make a great king one day, should his older stepbrothers perish. But is could be sooner..."

Robert was cut off by Henri, "Not one more word! Not one! And I want you out of the Castle by evenfall. Leave now!" They practically ran out of the room. He quivered with anger. They dare enter my Castle and speak of treason! They dare! I should kill them all, right now! He poured a goblet of wine to himself and ordered a guard to bring Robert the Chancellor. Second goblet was emptying when his son finallt arrived.

"You comand me to hear petitions and then you order me here. Maybe you want to cut me into two?" he asked inslently. Henri didn't even bother to answer to that.

"Write King Philippe that Count of Yprin has just approached me with an offer of alliance. And he intended to rebell against him asking my support. Write and make sure that I have no part in this treason." Robert was suprised by this and forgot his insolences, he left quietly. Henri drank five or six goblets of wine and went to bedroom to get few hours of sleep before the feast. But again his plans were disturbed as Agnes was awake and naked on the smooth silk sheets waiting to be taken.

When they began to prepere for the feast they had slept no more than half an hour.

You Win or You Die. A story of Consequences.​

"It is clear now, Your Grace," Renaud said to Henri confidence in his voice. It was still dark this early in the morning and they had to pick carefully where to lead their horses as they had chosen the forest as their meeting place. Secrecy was needed, so Henri had chosen carments proper for a welldoing merchant meeting with his subordinate, who wore wrinkled dark coat as if he had just arrived from a long journy. "I have seen and read a letter stating her plans. She intends to replace his son permanently and Duchess of Oxford is happy to support Adelais's plans. Men have ruled over women too long, she says," his secret master of spies told and laughed. Henri was only little amused. She will know what will become of those who defy me.

"You have done well, Renaud," Duke praised his son.

"Only my job, Your Grace," he answered slyly. Using this tone, one never knew what he exactly meant behind his words.

"I must meet Count Pierre before the feast and show him his proper place." It was the time of the year, when he called upon his family to visit the Heart of Burgundy. In order not to let them forget from where they have come and from where they have got their blood. To these gatherings he always called one of his vassals also. This time it was Count of Chalons. And his rebellious mother Adelais. Tonight it was the feast night, where her plans would be destroyed.

They began to ride back to Dijon. Sun was slowly rising from the east. Snows had melted long ago, but at some nights it would still be cold. Cold enough that frost would paint green grass silver. Now it was shining as sunlight slowly melted it. Guardsmen patrolled on the citywalls and gates were opened for the day. It had taken five minutes for Henri to leave Dijon as the gate had been closed and it took time to open it. Guardsmen had been reluctant to open the gate for him, but they obeyed after he had shown them a letter signed by Duke that sayd to obey the wearer without question. Henri pitied Renaud, who had to deal with stubborn guardsmen all the time and he had no letter with Duke's sign.

"Your Grace, will you do nothing about the insult given to you by King and Queen?" Renaud wondered.

"What insult? I don't feel insulted. I understand their reason for not attending this year."

"The child is five months old and strong as bull they say. It wouldn't be the first travel with so young child, Your Grace."

"Beatrix don't want to put her son into any danger and she has a great influence on King Philippe," Henri snapped. He had felt the small insult when they had sent a messenger stating that they can't attend. He didn't need everybody remainding him of it.

"But, Your Grace..."

"No! Enough!" and Renaus stayed quiet.

Inside the city they separated, both making their ways into the Heart quietly and unrecognised. Henri was amazed how easy it was for him to enter the castle unnoticed. Nobody recognised him before he changed to his normal clothes in one of the unguarded rooms, where he had changed earlier. Men guarding his door were suprised to find Duke outside the room. Apparently guards had changed after he had left. He found Agnes still sleeping and he had to resist an urge to join her. Today was not meant for sleeping. Maybe later...when important things are taken care of.

He changed and left his rooms. He needed his two eldest sons to make Pierre see more clearly what he meant. Hugues and Cecile were up and about. She was resting in a big and seemingly comfortable armchair, fondling her big belly. The child was about to come into this world. Henri hoped it didn't ruin today's feast. Hugues was ready to accompany him as soon as one of her maids returns. She came soon and Duke left with his heir. They went to getch Eudes, who had a room down the same hall, but he was busy with her wife. And they had to wait for him in his sitting room, while he enjoyd himself.

It was an hour after he had left his own rooms, when three of them went to speak with yound Count of Chalons. He was an ealry riser and was breaking his fast when they entered and joined him in his meal. Normally he would have called him to himself, but Henri thought that this needs a little flattery. Henri sent the servants and maids away when the food was served and Eudes poured them wine. One of the maids had been fourteen or fifteen and Henri noticed Pierre looking her as she left.

"You like her?" Henri asked bluntly. Pierre's face reddened. "No, don't be ashamed. You are a man and women are meant only to please men."

"Mother says that it is shameful to look maids,Your Grace," he apologised, but red slowly left his face.

"What does women know about these things? Look and touch as much as you want, but marrying is out of question. So after you have had her leave her alone. She might start talking of love, but she is only a woman and what do they know?" He was trying to get to his point. Hugues and Eudes were happily agreeing with him. Pierre looked lost.

"You are a man and can make your own decisions. One does not need a woman telling him what to do," Hugues said and Eudes agreed. Pierre nodded thoughtfully.

"Too bad that my mother rules in my name until I turn sixteen, my Lords."

"Ahh! Stop calling us that. In private we are friends," Henri said filling wineglasses again, "And you don't have to have her in your way for another three years."

"How, Yo..?" he stopped himself seeing Henri's frown.

"Do you want to know what your mother plans?" Eudes said as plannes. He must hate his mother in order to accept the fate that Henri has in mind for her. Pierre nodded and Count ofSavoie continued, "She has exchanged letter with her mother. In these letters they make plans how to keep Adelais as Countess of Chalons permanently." That took Pierre with shock, his mouth moved, but no words came out.

"You see, Pierre," Hugues said, "what becomes when decisionmaking is left to women."

"She must die!" Pierre said hatefully.

"No, my friend, no. Don't be rash. Such deeds may have unseen consequences," Eudes answered.

"Then what? We can't stand idly while he succeeds in her plans!" He was truly afraid of losing his position. Henri was only pleased how easy it had been.

"I have some thoughts," Henri said carefully, "It will show her her proper place and will keep her under control, but it won't disturb the peace in our duchy as a murder might....But no. It would be too cruel. Even for her."

Pierre's face was angry he forgot the last bit of courtesy and demanded to know this plan.

"Well, Pierre, I thought to ask you for your mother's hand for my son Renaud," Henri after a while to show that he is still duke and don't obey demands.

Count of Chalons smiled broadly, "That is excelent! She will know why and will have to live with him forever!" Henri smiled, but he wanted to laugh out loud. Hugues and Eudes hadn't known this part and were shocked. He wanted to laugh even more. It was so easy! Renaud had been sure of it and had been right, he mused in his thoughts.

They left around noon with a full belly and unsteady legs. Henri wanted to sleep that wine away, but it wasn't allowed to him. Hugues of Macon, Diocese Bishop and a husband to his sister Hildegarde, joined him on his walk back to his rooms.

"Your Grace, I need to speak to you," he began as if waiting for him to sit down there and then and talk.

"You can move your mouth while walking, can you not? Talk!" He hated when his plans were disturbed.

"Yes of course, Your Grace. I am worried about your reputation in front of Pope. He thinks you have turned your back on godly ways."

"What!" Henri asked furiously and stopped walking, "I go to church every week. I have build churches. I have helped peasants, when they are in trouble. What is asked of me?"

Hugues turned to face him, "Not much, Your Grace. I have an idea how to increase your standing before the God."

"And that is?"

"Allow the church to colect extra taxes from free peasants so that we could build greater and taller churches. Old ones are small and weak compered to the ones in Papal cities and Paris. And you will find yourself beside the God after your life ends in this world."

"Take the taxes. See that you won't starve them. Be gone!" he answered and strode towards his rooms. He ordered the guard not to be disturbed and slepts until it was time to prepere for the feast.

Hugues and Cecile had a place to his right. Eudes and Ingegerd sat to his left. Pierre and Adelais followed Hugues and Cecile. They were followed by Renaud, Robert the Chancellor, Robert the Marshal was accompanied by his wife Elizabeth von Rugen the Steward. Diocese Bishop sat beside his wife Hildegarde. Simon, Duke's brother, and Henri, his fift son sat after Eudes's wife to his left. Rest of the courtiers were sat where thay could get a place. And the feasting began after an opening toast by the Duke, as always.

Some time later, Pierre asked for attention and Duke rose to offer it to him. They announced their earlier plan, to marry Adelais and Renaud, to tie their Houses more closely. Everybody laughed. Only the most dull witted would have taken it for laughter of joy. Renaud rose and bowed respectfully to the guests with broad smile. Adelaid face's was shocked. She couldn't move.

"Be happy that you are my mother, Adelais. Or you would have a rope around your neck for treason right now," Pierre whispered to his mother and pinched a maid's bottom as she was filling his wine glass to show her that her words meant nothing. But she didn't notice it, she didn't notice a thing. Her face was white as if she had seen a ghost.

Two weeks later there was another feast. Wedding Feast. A wedding with the saddest bride ever. And with the happiest groom.

Last edited:
Enewald said:
Oi, why so sad? :p

Well, having your son as a grandson of the king is a good way to get into power. :D
I am also sad, because I missed the previous update and now I don't have time to read that and the new one. I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow :(

Renaud rises in power. I think the succession might get interesting :D

You Win or You Die. A Story of Revealings.​

The morning after the wedding feast was quiet. Rather it was noon, as sun was high in the sky, but feasting had lasted through the night. When the newlyweds had been taken to their rooms, the guests had no mind to do so also and sun was rising when Hugues had finally left the tables. One of the last. And wine had left its mark. His head was pounding as he walked, but he did his best to ignore it. He had got only few hours of sleepnext to his wife, when Cecile had went into labour. At the moment she was under good care of maids and ladies. Orders to find the best midwife had been sent out. Now he had nothing to do until he was called. His destination was as good as any place where to wait for news.

"Are the newlyweds up and about?" he asked from the guards standing beside the door to Renaud's rooms. They grinned lightly.

"We heard sounds, my Lord," answered one with a black heavy beard shivering as he spoke, "I believe they are awake."

"Do I interrupt marriage duties, if I enter?" he asked.

"No, my Lord, the sounds died a while ago," answered the other guard, with three chins covered with light beard.

He admitted himself announcing, "Come out, come out, new husband. You will have a lifetime to enjoy your wife." Renaud came with a crimson robe covering his hunchback. His head reached only to Hugues's chest as he walked out of the bedroom. He heard silent sobbing from the room before is brother closed the door behind him. Renaud gestured Hugues to join him by the window where there was wine at hand. That remembered Hugues his headache, but he couldn't refuse the offered goblet.

"Tears of joy?" he asked beckoning to Renaud's bedroom as they sat.

"Then her night was a very happy one," he said and then bared his arms from the robe and asked curiously frowning, "Do you take these for weak hands?" Theu were skinny and blue veins appeared as he turned them. But Hugues saw muscles under the light skin and answered no.

"She took them for week and now the tears of joy pour out of her eyes," he told and laughed. Hugues smiled, but it touched only his mouth. He began to doubt if they had chosen too cruel a fate to Adelais, but it was done and impossible to reverse. Without insulting Renaud and Hugues had began to wonder about him after the war with Count of Geneve. Seemingly he was a deformed son of a high lord. But as a child the loudest mockers of him had disappeared mysteriously. Were they lowly stableboys or sons of lords, they had never been seen again. Hugues wanted to know who his brother was, should their father die.

"Did you lose your sleep early today?" Hugues asked as he had seen a servant with a hunch leave the castle this morning as he had had a little walk before returning to his rooms. He had seen hunchbacked men and women around the city too often to be normal. All people wouldn't notice things like that, but his campaignes had teached him to notice every detail. As he rode on the streets of Dijon, he could separate newcomers from the crowd as easily as strangers from locals. He suspected that Renaud was Henri's secret master of spies, who did all the dirty work for the Duke. And he wanted confirmation, so he could sleep in peace.

"You just saw me come from my bedroom."

"That is no answer at all. I saw you leaving the Heart as the sun rose. Wearing servant's clothes."

His face remained unchanged, but Huges felt his brother's toughts fly through possible answers while he watered his mouth with a sip of wine. "But what makes you think it was me? I know that a hunchbacked groom works at the stalls, when there is an especially untamed stallion in it. He is the best, smallfolk says," spoke after a while.

"Don't insult my sight. I can make a difference between my brother and a groom.," Hugues grew angrier.

"No insult meant," Renaud apoligised quickly, "But I swear that I would not leave my beloved wife to become a servant." A little smirk appeared to his mouth, which might mean anything. That he was lying as a merchant on a market or being honest as whore in a brothel. Which left no truth in his words at all. Hugues smiled to show he saw through his words. He took a sip, which somehow dimmed his headache, to think how to get a confession out of him.

"Dear brother, your every word gets you deeper into the hole."

"How so?" he asked surprise on his face. But the answer came from Adelais, who had fully dressed up and tears had left no mark on her face. Both men were shocked. "He was gone from the bed as the sun rose and back an hour or so before you came," she said and left the rooms after excusing herself. Hugues smiled as Renaud tried to get a word out of his stunned mouth.

"So, Renaud, do you work for our Lord Father in more ways than being a punishment for our charming Adelais," he asked contentedly. He thought long and hard before letting himself loose.

"You are my brother and future master," Renaud stood and began to speak, "You will use me as your father does. I will kill and spy. I will spread false rumors and false truths. I will be your master of spies." Hugues barely managed to smile before renaud had a knife under his throat. He was at a loss, but fear was far from him. He waited and listened. "But our father is still my lord and he has ordered me not to expose myself. Will you keep your tounge?" Renaud demanded. Huges would have nodded, but knife was too close, sos he blinked once with his eyes, hoping he would take it for an answer.

"I knew father was scheming with his every breath, but to use his own son!" Hugues said still shocked. He had suspected it, but to know was something else. He hadn't been prepared for it.

"That wretched woman! She will expose me and then my work is ruined!" Renaud cursed at the door, "And you must learn, Hugues, that if you don't scheme, that don't mean that others won't. They will and you will loose. And loosing is death. Father has worried about it for a long time." Hugues sat quietly, thinking what his younger brother was teaching him. He who should guide his brother and sisters. His trail of thought was finished as one of the guards said through the door, "My Lords, a made for Lord Hugues."

And then he remembered his wife. He pounded to his feet and was harshly reminded about his headache. "My wife has given birth!" he exclaimed and left hurriedly leaving Renaud and worries of world for tomorrow.

***​

It was late at night when Adelais returned to their rooms. He was drinking wine and trying akwardly to sit comfortably in his armchair. His hunch was a great burden but man had to live with what was given. Adelais greeted him, but when he gave no answer she left for the bedroom. Renaud drank his goblet to the bottom and threw it to the heart. Flames burst out from it, making the room glow for a moment. It revealed a letter on the dark table and Renaud remembered to deal with it. He lighted a candle and took the letter. He hold it over the small flame until it took fire. By the candlelight he saw the words for the last time before it burned to ashed between his fingers. 'It is done. Hair is cut," six simple words. Adelais is waiting, he thought as he went to the bedroom.

Spothisto said:
It is done. Hair is cut
I have no idea what it means, but it sounds ominous. Can't wait for the next installment.

Spothisto said:
Slinky: Think how you pronounce 'hair' and you shoud see the answer.
Ingenious :D