You know what this game really, really needs?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

brxbrx

Lt. General
14 Badges
Jan 5, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Impire
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
I know, the game was released forever ago, and there aren't any sequels in the works. So this is probably just yelling at an empty corridor.

But this game seriously needs a grace period at the start of each mission, like a few minutes where enemies won't attack you. I just finished the Royal Feat mission and am starting the Mortal Foibles mission, and DAMN if it isn't a huge pain in the ass to play this game. As soon as I start, I get swamped with mobs. It took me forever to beat Royal Feat, with the serpents and the dragon constantly swarming me. I had to restart, like, a million times. And it looks like Mortal Foibles is more of the same.
Is the whole game like this? Are the expansions like this too? Because I've got to say, this is not my idea of fun.

Also, advertising this game as a fantasy kingdom simulator is quite misleading. It's a glorified RTS, nothing more. You want a kingdom simulator? Try Pharaoh or Caesar or other Impressions Games games.

That's debatable. I like to feel the stress of being constantly under attack even from the earliest days. What the game really needed was the difficulty levels, so that each player would be able to select their own pace of play.

Sure, okay. But more importantly, because the answer to this question hinges on whether or not I'm going to keep playing:

Is the entire game like this? The expansions as well? Tell me, so I can know whether or not to bother. I won't be too upset. I bought the game on sale. Five dollars for the complete collection. But I don't want to figure out if the rest of the game is worth playing by playing through it. That would take a long time and would not be remotely fun.
I've just beaten Royal Feat and have started Mortal Foibles. What awaits me?

Well, if you don't like to replay the game several times in order to beat it and if you don't like too much challenge, I'd say its not worth it. You will find the game mostly difficult.

I only have a vague recollection of most of the missions from Maj2, but there were a couple of similar missions in Maj1- Brashnard's sphere, Quest for the Crown, Slay the Dragon- that had a habit of throwing overwhelming force at you more-or-less immediately. Speaking personally, I found it rather irritating, as it forced you to adopt certain recruitment/building strategies immediately or get crushed. There was no real choice, and so, at least up front, no real game: It was more like an exam that you had to take blind and repeat over and over and until you happened to mark the right answers.

The way I hear it, a lot of missions in Maj2 are basically like that. And yes, there is very little Sim remaining in this fantasy kingdom. So yeah, on balance, I don't think Maj2 will be your cup of tea. Maybe try the new edition of Maj1, see how that suits ya?

Last edited: