• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
BasileiosII said:
Uhh ... yes, forgot about that :eek:o

too sad that it is hardcoded ... would be nice to see Aya Sophia when clicking on Thrace ... ;)
Actually, you *can* change the buildings' graphics: you just have to work within the Orthodox, Latin, Muslim, etc. files. I made an Orthodox building set some time ago from pics and screen shots of that Rise of Nations game--just go into paint and copy and paste to the Orthodox files that are in the graphics and PIW folders (I think--I haven't done any editing or even playing for several months), and you can have your own Hagia Sophia, Sacred Palace, or red-tiled "Greek" houses. Of course, it looked "wrong" when I played as Russia or any of those Northern principalities, but it looked great for the Mediterranean.
That aside...I love these new city sprite things! As soon as I load the game up on the laptop, I'll put them in.

Sandolfon said:
Actually, you *can* change the buildings' graphics: you just have to work within the Orthodox, Latin, Muslim, etc. files. I made an Orthodox building set some time ago from pics and screen shots of that Rise of Nations game--just go into paint and copy and paste to the Orthodox files that are in the graphics and PIW folders (I think--I haven't done any editing or even playing for several months), and you can have your own Hagia Sophia, Sacred Palace, or red-tiled "Greek" houses. Of course, it looked "wrong" when I played as Russia or any of those Northern principalities, but it looked great for the Mediterranean.
You're right, but when Byzance turns catholic by event, it will have the Latin set... That's why I didn't change anything in this part of Gfx. Too bad, we can't add a new set.
Anyway, can we have a look at the artwork you did?

Sandolfon said:
That aside...I love these new city sprite things! As soon as I load the game up on the laptop, I'll put them in.
Thanks.
I have no time free now, week-ends apart, but I'm really interested in making scandinavian and japanese sets. Maybe italian (not only venetian) too, but I have to find good pictures for this one before. Any help welcomed!

YodaMaster said:
You're right, but when Byzance turns catholic by event, it will have the Latin set... That's why I didn't change anything in this part of Gfx. Too bad, we can't add a new set.
Anyway, can we have a look at the artwork you did?

Thanks.
I have no time free now, week-ends apart, but I'm really interested in making scandinavian and japanese sets. Maybe italian (not only venetian) too, but I have to find good pictures for this one before. Any help welcomed!
Unfortunately, all of that is at home on my desktop. I'll be going there next week, so I'll put everything on to the laptop then. I'm really pleased with the houses: they fit in quite nicely with the Byzantines and even the Italians. My 200.000+ people church looks a little awkward since I "stole" it from a Turkish screenshot, but Rise of Nations apparently does not have the Hagia Sophia in its grpahics, nor could I find it on any game website, so I could not extract any image. Oh, and about Byzantines turning Catholic...I never do in my games, so it's no concern to me, lol. ;)

Sandolfon said:
Unfortunately, all of that is at home on my desktop. I'll be going there next week, so I'll put everything on to the laptop then. I'm really pleased with the houses: they fit in quite nicely with the Byzantines and even the Italians. My 200.000+ people church looks a little awkward since I "stole" it from a Turkish screenshot, but Rise of Nations apparently does not have the Hagia Sophia in its grpahics, nor could I find it on any game website, so I could not extract any image. Oh, and about Byzantines turning Catholic...I never do in my games, so it's no concern to me, lol. ;)

You copied the images of the buildings from Rise of Nations and placed them in the Bitmap?

So it's also possible to 'draw' buildings?

BasileiosII said:
You copied the images of the buildings from Rise of Nations and placed them in the Bitmap?

Yes, I opened up both files (e.g., the "house1" file for EU2 in the PIW folder and the downloaded pic of some Greek houses for Rise of Nations) simultaneously in paint, and then I simply copied and pasted with little adjustments. Of course, I had to eliminate some of the junk around the buildings with green, but it's quite easy--I'm surprised no one has ever released new buildings in this forum. Yes, you could theoretically draw buildings, too, but I have no computer graphic skills whatsoever--give me a paper and some pencils, and I'm fine, but I'm atrocious with drawing stuff on the computer.
EDIT: Oh, and I suppose it's also possible to edit the city terrain, so instead of that ugly lime green, you could have a nice pleasant "grassy" look. I also edited the docks with that unused one in the dock graphic--you know, the stone-y one. I got tired of the wooden one.

BasileiosII said:
Yes, all involved bmp are in \Europa Universalis II\GFX\Interface\PIW\Buildings but we are limited to existing sets (Africa, Aztec, China, Hindu, Indian, Latin , Muslim and Orthodox).

To Sandolfon: where is the stone dock bmp you're talking about?

Last edited:
YodaMaster said:
Yes, all involved bmp are in \Europa Universalis II\GFX\Interface\PIW\Buildings but we are limited to existing sets (Africa, Aztec, China, Hindu, Indian, Latin , Muslim and Orthodox).

It's in the same bmp file with the wooden dock and the shipyard dock, but it's currently unused in the game--just switch them around to use it. I believe the dock file is in the PIW folder.

Sandolfon said:
It's in the same bmp file with the wooden dock and the shipyard dock, but it's currently unused in the game--just switch them around to use it. I believe the dock file is in the PIW folder.
Thanks.
For those interested, it's port.bmp in \Europa Universalis II\GFX\Interface\PIW\Buildings

YodaMaster said:

Ask Johan to allow us to create more sets.

Sandolfon said:
Yes, I opened up both files (e.g., the "house1" file for EU2 in the PIW folder and the downloaded pic of some Greek houses for Rise of Nations) simultaneously in paint, and then I simply copied and pasted with little adjustments. Of course, I had to eliminate some of the junk around the buildings with green, but it's quite easy--I'm surprised no one has ever released new buildings in this forum. Yes, you could theoretically draw buildings, too, but I have no computer graphic skills whatsoever--give me a paper and some pencils, and I'm fine, but I'm atrocious with drawing stuff on the computer.
EDIT: Oh, and I suppose it's also possible to edit the city terrain, so instead of that ugly lime green, you could have a nice pleasant "grassy" look. I also edited the docks with that unused one in the dock graphic--you know, the stone-y one. I got tired of the wooden one.

here´s my try:
coast8bj.png

Phillip V said:
Ask Johan to allow us to create more sets.
Yes, but first, I'd rather ask colony sprites to work (if not MUS and MIN), because this seems to be a bug... I did it in EUII Bugs Thread but no clear answer...

To deallus: nice work, and same for inland provinces..? This would be great.

cool-toxic said:
here´s my try:
coast8bj.png

Looking great, cool-toxic! :)
And your cities are excellent, YodaMaster! They fit in the game really nicely :)

G-Klav said:
Looking great, cool-toxic! :)
And your cities are excellent, YodaMaster! They fit in the game really nicely :)
Thanks. Japanese, Scandinavian and now Chinese sets in mind...

Waiting for a full city terrains set by cool-toxic too... ;)

Is "this" for cities sets?
If yes, I'm afraid cities sets must go into EUII folder, not moddir (won't work at all). But since files don't exist in vanilla and nobody else than me made cities sets :eek: , there is no possible damage in vanilla...

We just have to modify AGCEEP country.csv and copy needed cities files where they belong. How could I be against this idea? :cool:

why is everyone whispering? :D

I have the Russian and Byzantine sets and they are fantastic. Keep up the good work.

Ayeshteni

Ayeshteni said:
I have the Russian and Byzantine sets and they are fantastic. Ayeshteni

I already downloaded a different icon for built naval equipment manu in a prov.
Your skill in graphics is well known, what are You waiting for editing those icons here? ;)

Elio Vasa said:
I already downloaded a different icon for built naval equipment manu in a prov.
Do you mean "Anchor" Naval Manufactory Set available here? I wasn't alone for this one... I just finished work started by BJ and cool-toxic.