• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
I. - 10 January 1356
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
    • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
    • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
    • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
    • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
    • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
    • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
    • Victoria 2: A House Divided
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
    • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
    • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
    • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
    • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
    • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
    • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
    • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
    • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
    • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
    • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
    • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
    • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
    • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
    • Stellaris
    • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
    • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
    • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
    • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
    • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
    • Europa Universalis III: Collection
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
    • Cities: Skylines
    10 January 1356 - Tzintzuntzan

The morning air on Lake Patzcuaro is chilly. In the winter months, the weather is rainy and the temperatures often drop below freezing. Today, however, the weather promises to warm up. The waxing light of the sun is cresting over the hills and mountains far to the east, setting the surface of the lake alight and chasing away the fog which shrouds the mountaintops. The water glitters like gems as the sun's rays glance off of the surface, but few in the great city at the lake's southern shore stop to appreciate the sight - Tzintzuntzan, the Place of Hummingbirds, appropriately buzzes with human activity.

The hive of nearly 30,000 P'urhepecha lives is uncharacteristically busy for so early in the morning. At the greatest pyramid in the city center they gathered, a thronging mass, hooting and cheering as the incessant bang of drums came from all sides. Atop the pyramid, two warriors drag forth a strong-looking foreigner - a Mexica warrior, captured at the frontier. For all that he tries to look dignified and fearless in the face of his doom, the youth cannot conceal the animal glint in his eye - an all-consuming fear of his fate, which approaches all too quickly.

The petamiti, or head of the priestly caste, comes forth. Resplendent in his feathered robes and sporting a magnificent headdress, even the excited crowd is forced into a moment of awed reverence. Hands raised to the sky, he brandishes a dagger of volcanic glass, bejeweled with green jade, and begins to speak. With his powerful voice, he shouts and sings praises to Curicaueri, the god of war and of the sun. Held down upon the altar, the captive stares listlessly at the skies, lips moving in some futile prayer to Huitzilopochtli, his city's patron god.

At last, his dreadful wait is over. With a final shout to the heavens, the petamiti brings the ebon blade down. With a twist, the captive's ribcage is opened. There is no screaming, only a stunned stare and the near-numbness of terrible agony, as he watches his own still-beating heart leave his chest cavity and be presented to the skies above. As the steps of the pyramid turn scarlet with blood, the P'urhepecha cry out as one, safe in the knowledge that, nourished with human blood, the sacred round would continue to turn.

All they could hope is that it would continue to turn in their favor...

II. - Opening Moves
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Opening Moves - January 1356

The sun has just risen on the 10th of January, in the year AD 1356. Not that this means anything to most of the inhabitants of Cem Anahuac, the densely-populated isthmus between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. To most of the people living here, the date is 11.6.13.18.13, and no one has the faintest idea what "January", "anno domini", or "Gregorian" even means. This year falls squarely in the middle of the Postclassic age of Mesoamerican civilization. It has been over 600 years since the imperial power of Teotihuacan waned, and over 200 years since their successors, the Tolteca, likewise faded into the annals of history. Although the Classical heyday of Maya civilization is past, Maya kingdoms still war in the Yucatan and Guatemala, and the power of the Mexica at Tenochtitlan has only just begun to rise.

To the west, in what would be the modern Mexican states of Michoacan and Jalisco, another empire rises as well. These are the Tarascans, or the P'urhepecha in their native tongue. Recently unified under the purview of the great cazonci Tariacuri, these fierce and proud people have sprouted up around the city of Tzintzuntzan on the south shore of Patzcuaro.

The current cazonci is Tariacuri's successor, Tangaxuan I, a mildly competent ruler whose only useful skills seem to be his strengths on the battlefield.

'Huetlatoani'? Do we look like Mexica to you?

It is this position I inherit, as (sort of) almighty god-player of this EU3 session - a two-province, New World minor with no forts and hardly an army to speak of. I am fortunate in that every other nation in the region is in precisely the same unfortunate position. If I'm lucky, and play my cards right, I should be able to bring all of Mesoamerica under my "benevolent" rule in time for the inevitable coming of the Europeans.

My first step is to consider pushing the sliders into some more beneficial positions. Unwilling to deal with potential huge rebellions while I'm still fort-less, I ignore Centralism/Federalism for now. I leave Innovative/Narrowminded where it is (firmly in the latter camp), because I will need colonists in the not too distant future. For now I decide to make a move to Free Subjects, which mildly destabilizes us. It hardly matters at present, as I set the Stability slider to maximum. We should reach +3 stability by the middle of the year.

Policy changes thus accounted for, my next goal is to cut the Aztecs down to size. At about the same time that Tariacuri was unifying the P'urhepecha, the Mexica (for that's what the Aztecs call themselves) had built the grand city of Tenochtitlan atop Lake Texcoco. Although they're a far cry from the Triple Alliance that Cortes conquered in our own time, they're very much a rising star in the region and possess the enviable boon of the only fortified province in all of Cem Anahuac, which also happens to be the region's only center of trade. It's too good of a target to ignore.

Our first step is to secure a ring of allies around the growing Mexica state to dissuade them from making any preemptive moves against us. To this purpose, we enlist two traditional rivals of the Mexica - Tlaxcallan (the place of maize tortillas, a name which I felt necessary to share), another Nahuatl-speaking nation to the Aztecs' east, and the Yopi or Tlapanec to their south. Both states in our reality offered the most long-lasting resistance to the Triple Alliance, so it's only natural that they stand with the P'urhepecha against them.

With two taps of the space bar, a day passes and the Tlaxcalteca and Tlapaneca enter a coalition with the Tarascan state. My opening moves are thus concluded, a pair of alliances secured, and the future of my young empire seems a little brighter than before...

Last edited:
    III. - The Death of Huitzilopochtli
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    The Death of Huitzilopochtli - 1356 & 1357

As the campaign begins, I keep a close eye on the rest of Mesoamerica for my chance to strike at the Aztecs and begin the ascendancy of the Tarascans. It's only a couple months before the first blood is spilt in the region - hapless Cozumel is devoured alive by the confederacy of Mayapan. The Yucatan is far removed from our concerns right now, but I worry briefly that Mayapan may soon grow to be a rival of ours.

The next month, we see an opportunity. The Mexica, along with their allies Teotitlan and the Huasteca, have ganged up on poor, helpless Metztitlan in an orgy of senseless, tribal bloodshed - I'm starting to like playing in this region. Once the bulk of the Mexica army has crossed the border, we declare war and move in, soon calling our allies Tlaxcallan and the Tlapanec into the fray as well. (In hindsight, I should have used Tribal Feud, but oh well. I wasn't paying close enough attention.)

The province of Huastec is soon under our control, and the capital at Tenochtitlan-Mexico put under siege. As our armies ransack Huastec, the Captured Slaves event triggers. A unique event for Mesoamerican nations when occupying foreign provinces, it gives the state a welcome infusion of cash and prestige. In the north, Metztitlan is completely occupied, one province by the Mexica and the other by the Huasteca.

Our main army intercepts them at Ixmiquilpan, achieving a victory at a fairly steep cost, apparently due to some incredible terrain advantage on the part of my enemies (my leader has much better shock than theirs, so I'm at a loss). The battered Mexica flee into allied territory in the Huastec lands as my army liberates Metztitlan's cities, meeting the enemy again at Tohancapac, Tziuhcoac, and finally Huastecas, where the Aztec army is completely obliterated.

As the last resistance to our alliance is destroyed, all three Huastec provinces are occupied, and we force them to pay tribute to Tzintzuntzan. With the eastern front thus closed, and Teotitlan apparently unwilling to commit to combat against us, the Tarascan army returns west to join the Tlaxcalteca in besieging Tenochtitlan.

Soon the province is under their control. Having no possibility of taking the great city on Texcoco, the unhappy Tlaxcalteca sign a somewhat lenient peace, returning home to glower at their Tarascan allies.

As the Tlaxcalteca vacate, our army immediately renews the siege, overwhelming the 100 defenders and completely occupying the Mexica state. Their national cohesion destroyed, the entirety of the Aztec state is absorbed into the growing empire of Tzintzuntzan, ending the war and catapulting the Tarascans to primacy in northern Cem Anahuac. Throughout the great city of Tenochtitlan, idols of their patron god, Hutzilopochtli are cast into the lake, and the city burns for a month in the flames of chaos and looting.

I don't have long to appreciate the sight of our name on the map, however. Soon, the first nationalist revolts flare up, starting a series of frustrating rebel battles which would occupy most of the next two years...

Last edited:
    IV. - Cazonci Musical Chairs
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Cazonci Musical Chairs - 1357 to 1361

While fighting the Mexica rebels in the Valley of Mexico, Tangaxuan I succumbs to wounds sustained in the heat of the battle. Our nation is wracked with grief, and we lose stability. A new leader is chosen to take his place as the rebels bounce back south to Huastec for what feels like the hundredth time, and the nobles choose Moctezuma I.

... Wait, what?

Sure enough, closer inspection of the MIC file in the D&T folder shows that all of the leader (and ship) names are Aztec. I grumble something about Mexica favoritism and move on with the story; I'd invade and crush the Aztecs if I hadn't already.

Heritage notwithstanding, Moctezuma looks to be a somewhat uninspiring choice to lead our nation, and the Tarascan people agree. It's scarcely more than a year before he's tossed out on his rear (or more likely drowned in Lake Patzcuaro or sacrificed to the sun god), and a new, equally unimpressive leader, Tlacotzin I, takes his place.

At the same time, I realize that I forgot to check out the Great Men roster in January 1357. Woops. All that's left is a one-star infamy reducer - the rest are all naval tradition advisers, useless to me for what is likely to be centuries to come.

An event pops which doesn't affect us in the slightest - the alternative would hurt our stability, and I'm already at max Federalism.

In 1360, news arrives from the Yucatan. Rebels have toppled the confederacy of Mayapan, defecting to the state of Kan Pech to the southwest. Kan Pech has now transplanted Mayapan as the great power of the peninsula, but they don't enjoy it for long, as Mayapan nationalists crop up and give them a wild ride that makes our troubles with Aztec nationalists earlier look like an April picnic.

An upset surfs... er, serfs... event gives us a free slider move towards Free Subjects.

Towards the beginning of 1361, Tlacotzin gets the same treatment as his predecessor, and another Tlacotzin rises to the throne. I'm fairly sure this isn't how Mesoamerican succession actually worked, but anything beats a regency council.

The rest of the year passes uneventfully, our sliders moving slowly towards Land Tech 1 (and forts!) as Tlacotzin II watches his back for the assassin's blade. Without wars to keep us occupied, the coming centuries, it seems, will test my patience.

Last edited:
    V. - Tzintzuntzan Rising
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Tzintzuntzan Rising - 1361 to 1366

In late 1362, our faithful tributary of Huasteca defaults, nearly dropping into bankruptcy. In our benevolence, we offer 48 ducats to them. I'm not overly concerned. At the moment, our treasuries are sitting at about 90 ducats and rising, and the loss will be recouped in a year or two. With a stern warning to be responsible with the money we've lent them, Huastec runs off to deplete its treasuries again. Stupid AI.

Bugger.

After some time with the stability slider set to max, the loss of stability is remedied and Land Tech research resumes. In April 1363, we reach Land Tech 1, and the Tarascan leadership sets as its goal the fortification of the capital to external threats. In my wisdom, however, I decide to build the fairly expensive forts in Huastec and Xiriquitzio first to fortify the frontier. I wait until our treasuries recover to pursue the mission.

By May 1364, the Huasteca seem to have forgotten our benevolence, and their king slanders Curicaueri, Tzintzuntzan's patron god, in plain earshot of one of our diplomats. We grit our teeth and refrain from teaching them a painful lesson - we can show mercy every now and then.

As 1365 begins, the fort in Tzintzuntzan is completed, offering a nifty 50 ducats to our treasury. All of our nation is now fortified, with only the Tlaponeca and Zapoteca in the south able to say the same. The Huasteca follow within the next couple of years, but the Maya appear to remain fort-less for now.

Years of quiet have dulled the senses of the usually warlike P'urhepecha, so Tlacotzin decides to subjugate the Metztitleca to the north. They're allied with Tlaxcallan and the Tlaponeca, but so are we, and we've granted military access to them to boot. We doubt that they will defy us openly.

They chose... poorly.

Our army drives east first into Tlaxcallan, the most powerful of the coalition arrayed against us. They still seem angry that we beat them to destroying their enemy, Tenochtitlan, so a lesson in humility will have to be taught to them. The Tlaxcaltec army flees into the uncivilized area south of their capital, which is defenseless when we reach it. The Tlaxcalteca are soon subjugated, and our army turns north to face the Metztitleca besieging Mexico.

By April, the enemy is routed, and both of their provinces under our control. Like Tlaxcallan, Metztitlan now pays tribute to Tzintzuntzan. The Tlapanec decline to face us in battle, meaning the war is now over, and Tarascan domination of northern Mexico is complete.

What this means, however, is that our infamy has risen fairly high, so the Tarascan state decides to refrain from further conquest for a few years and to focus on quietly securing its newfound dominance.

The Huasteca seem to have learned their proper place.

The time comes for another slider change, and this time we go for Centralization. With time this should increase our--

Oh.

Oh dear.

Last edited:
    Interlude - Terms used
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Ah, don't worry too much. When confronted with such odds, always remember: the AI is stupid. ;)

Here's some notes on Mesoamerican terms, since I realize I've used a lot of fairly complicated ones without much (if any) explanation:

Tarascans:

P'urhepecha, or Tarascans: The people of the nation central to our tale. The former is the name they have for themselves, the latter the one the Spaniards invented for them.

Tzintzuntzan: The place of the hummingbird, capital of the Tarascans. Used in place of the name of the country at times, especially with regards to another country acting towards us. E.g., the Huasteca are paying homage to Tzintzuntzan.

Michoacan: The anachronistic in-game name for this country, invented by the Aztecs.

Peoples:

Mexica: The name the Aztecs used for themselves, and by which they are usually called.

Nahuatl: The language of the Mexica and Tlaxcalteca

Tlapanec: This is what the 'Yopi' were usually called back in the day. They're the dark grey nation to my south.

Suffixes:

As a descriptor for a place (let's use Tlaxcala as an example), the suffix -ec or -tec is used. Thus Tlaxcaltec. The plural for the people of this place would be the Tlaxcalteca. Also Olmec, Metztitlec, Huastec. 'Aztecs' is the only exception used here, since 'Azteca' sounds awkward.

When referring to a place, -lan is used. Thus the country of the Tlaxcalteca is Tlaxcallan, 'place of maize tortillas'. Also Metztitlan and Teotitlan.

VI. - Revolting Trade Troubles
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Revolting Trade Troubles - 1366 to 1370

At the time of the revolt, we have 16,000 men in our army, split in half on guard duty in the former Aztec provinces, where revolts (as it turns out) are the most likely. Our 8,000 men in Huastec manage to force the Aztec nationalists into a retreat, and hurry to Mexico to assist the other half of our forces, who have somehow managed to hold off all 17 regiments of brigands for almost a month. The nationalists come along for the ride, and what ensues is a ridiculous fit of violence in which the Tarascans, Mexica rebels, and brigands fight each other in a flurry of insanity which I couldn't quite capture in screenshots.

By November 1367, more than a year after the revolts began, the last of the brigands are destroyed at Tzintzuntzan and the nation is at peace again. During the revolts, the Tarascan government pursues two changes in policy in the hopes of stymieing future rebellions of this kind. At the cost of one stability, we gain another move towards Free Subjects.

The loss is soon made up by a decision to avoid further Centralization for now, which also has the benefit of improving our relations with two of our tributary states.

Our army's success against the vastly more numerous rebels seems to impress our neighbors, who are ever more wary of expanding Tarascan power.

Meanwhile in the east, unaffected by politics in Mexico proper, the Yucatan is wracked by warfare. The rebels in the state of Kan Pech have reestablished the nation of Mayapan in the heartlands of the extinct principality of Cozumel, and are waging a war of revolution against their former masters of Kan Pech. Although the Mayapanteca are occupying the Campechano capital, the Q'iche, who have come north to assist their Yucatec friends, are holding Tulu'um, the Mayapantec capital.

The Mayapanteca put up an admirable resistance, but against the great armies of Kan Pech and the Q'iche, it is ultimately futile. Mayapan is reduced to a tributary, and Kan Pech forces it to annul its treaties with... Kan Pech.

What?

Having reasserted their dominance in the Yucatan, Kan Pech offers an alliance to Tzintzuntzan. Seeing no need to entangle ourselves in affairs to the east, we politely decline.

Early in 1359, we discover that our tributary Metztitlan is having some succession issues. Cacamatzin Quimichetl, a rebellious noble, is trying to depose the rightful lord of Metztitlan, and, curiously, the Tlaxcalteca and Huasteca have stepped in to help their Metztitleca brothers. Since our tributaries seem to be having some trouble vanquishing the rebels, we send our army in Mexico north to intercept the pretender.

At Ixmiquilpan, we (and our faithful allies) inflict a punishing defeat against the pretender, who bounces back north to be destroyed by the waiting Metztitleca army.

Soon, though, Tlaxcallan is getting uppity again. We're beginning to wonder whether the Tlaxcalteca are worth the trouble of keeping independent.

Soon, we (finally) get a new mission, to annex our vassal of Tlaxcallan. At present, I plan to wait a few years and diploannex them, but the temptation is growing to just cancel our vassalization and absorb them by conquest.

In the spring of 1370, I notice that my merchants aren't trading in Mexico any more, and hit 'T' to discover a rude surprise. The COT was destroyed because of stagnation, and the provinces of Mesoamerica are now, inexplicably, trading through two COTs in India.

The subcontinent, needless to say, is somewhat outside of our trading range. We'll need to wait until said center's value rises so we can create a new COT to replace Mexico. Mildly disgusted, I retire from the campaign for the evening and pick on small European countries in another game for a while to vent my frustrations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------​

This is as far as I've played. What do you think so far?

Should I diploannex Tlaxcallan, or speed up the process at the tips of 16,000 spears?

Should I continue to expand at a leisurely pace as I have so far, or try to conquer the whole of Mesoamerica in one, fell swoop?

What should I do about this disgusting trade nonsense?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
    VII. - The Great Mexican War
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Mexico trading through Malabar, I imagine something like this...

Who's that weird guy in the head dress?

Not sure but I think he's a christian?

Really. Why?

Well he says he's from Mexico and every other chap there is called Jesus...
    :D

The Great Mexican War - 1371 to 1373

Something occurs to me. At the start of the game, I set "Spread of land provinces" to 25 years, thinking it meant that provinces core more quickly; as it turns out, it means the Euros might show up at my shores a bit sooner than expected.

Whoopsy doodle.

All this means is that I'll need to conquer faster. It's been years since the Tarascan state has had a chance to enjoy any real warfare and to paint its pyramids that nice shade of scarlet that the gods love so much. I blow the dust off of the weapons racks, muster the armies, and point the military might of Tzintzuntzan toward its former allies, the Tlapaneca. Tlaxcallan, Metztitlan, and the Huasteca are all called in to assist us, and the Tlapaneca's allies, the Zapoteca, join their doomed brethren against our coalition.

The Zapotec armies reach Tlapan, attempting to raise our siege of the city, only to be repulsed. Our armies continue the siege unabated, not bothering to pursue the Zapoteca - for now.

Tlaxcallan (whom, as it turns out, I cannot just conquer militarily, as canceling vassalization just voids the mission) is stirring up trouble again. We give them a stern talking-to, but our forces are occupied with more immediate enemies.

Soon, all of the Tlapanec provinces are under our control, and the country is annexed, ending the war. The Zapotec return home unscathed, but we aren't quite finished with them yet.

Less than a month later, we turn our sights on Teotitlan, and again, the Zapoteca answer the call to arms. This time, they're at the head of the coalition, this time including the Mixteca as well. It's a couple of months before Kan Pech honors an alliance with one of our enemies, dragging the armies of the Yucatan into the conflict. Nonetheless, none of the Maya factions make an appearance on the battlefield during this war.

It isn't long before Teotitlan succumbs and is absorbed into our growing empire. The Mixtec state too is steadily falling under our control, though their capital has a fort which is slowing our progress.

A Mixtec pretender takes a wrong left at Albuquerque, getting a bloody nose from our army before taking another turn into parts unknown, where some other nation dispatches them.

By mid October, the Mixtec are destroyed, and our armies move east to finish off the Zapoteca once and for all.

The pathetic remnants of the Zapotec army, which Tlaxcallan seems to have destroyed on its own, are no match for our armies, who lay siege to their provinces.

It is February when the last of the sieges is over, and the nation capitulates. All of the Mexican provinces (save for the uncolonized pieces scattered throughout) now answer to Tzintzuntzan, whether directly or not.

With my infamy at a staggering 32.3 from my unlawful annexations, I decide that it's best to wait a little while before finishing off the Maya states.

Thus concludes the first Great Mexican War, with a crushing Tarascan victory. The nation returns to its peacetime life, its territory nearly tripled, and attempts to secure its gains...

Last edited:
    VIII. - Years of Peace, Years of Rebellion
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Years of Peace, Years of Rebellion - 1373 to 1383

Our high BB soon catches up with us (not that we particularly care what all 5 of the other nations in the world think of us), as revolt is fomented in Tlaxiaco. The extra revolt risk will prove to be a nuisance in coming years.

Due to its high revolt risk, and its central location in relation to our other new conquests, we move our national focus to Tlaxiaco, greatly reducing revolt risk in the entire region. We leave one of our armies here on rebel hunting duty. (Tlaxiaco is partly visible inside the green circle.)

To help reduce our infamy a bit more quickly, we replace our doddering old 1-star diplomat with a somewhat better 3-star one.

On the 14th of November, all Tarascan provinces (and Huastec provinces as well) are fortified, allowing us to spread our troops out a little bit. Outside of our empire, only Q'iche, with its ridiculously high land tech, has fortified its lone province.

I just pick an option at random when this event strikes. The aristocracy/plutocracy axis isn't terribly important to us at the moment, though moves to plutocracy will be unnecessary since merchants just do not exist.

In January, plague strikes the province of Tlapanec, and only (expensive) action taken on behalf of the government stops more of the recently-conquered Tlapaneca from dying. I'm curious just what has afflicted them, since I don't know of any important epidemics in pre-Columbian America.

I have no comment on this.

Nationalist sentiment strikes again, this time in Tlapanec. They don't seem happy with our handling of the recent plague, but at our troops' encouragement, they don't seem willing to do anything about it.

Expending a bit of cultural tradition yields a 4-star diplomat, who replaces the last. Infamy is falling about about .8 per year at this point.

We'd come to expect this sort of thing from Tlaxcallan, but you, Huasteca? Our vassals really don't seem to recall their proper place in relation to us.

The opportunity to make a slider move comes again. We pursue further centralization again. Like the last time, there's a large revolt, though much smaller than the last. It takes some time to extinguish the last of the rebels, but ultimately no harm comes from the decision.

As we're putting down the rebels, our vassals begin to cry out for federalization. Are you joking? I didn't deal with a 12,000 man rebellion just to undo the slider move I'd literally just made. I grit my teeth and bear the stability hit and diplomatic slump.

It's five months before the last of the rebels die. Our armies can't quite seem to kill more than a thousand troops in any given battle. At the same time, we notice that Kan Pech has annexed Mayapan, and act concerned once more for a few minutes.

The Huasteca seem to have realized the error of their ways, and our relations improve a little. It's good to know that at least some of our vassals respect their rightful place in the order of things.

Is this some kind of sick joke?

Another rebellion, this time in the former Tlapanec lands, is crushed. From this point, rebellions in the former Tlapanec, Mixtec, and Zapotec lands finally begin to die down.

In December of 1380, I'm reminded why I keep these recalcitrant little thorns in my side around. The occasional boosts to cash and prestige have helped me out significantly over the years.

We reach government tech 2, which is of no use to us whatsoever. We continue to press forward towards level 6 in the hopes of being able to adopt a national idea before the Europeans come.

In April 1381, I'm alerted that we've discovered a province - I take a quick gander around Mesoamerica and notice nothing different. Looking further afield, I see we've discovered a random province in the inland Andes mountains. I shrug and go about my business.

That December, another area comes to our notice, this time a vast, useless wasteland of jungle.

I can't afford to let anything set back my research. I need to be as far along in my technology as I can when the Europeans arrive - every level of land tech counts. I make a mental note to make a few moves towards Innovative when I have the chance.

In January 1383, we at last manage to annex the ever-annoying state of Tlaxcallan into our empire. We lose a point of stability, but it will be recovered quickly.

Our other clients to the northeast look to one another nervously, perhaps understanding now their ultimate fate as my unwilling slaves...

Last edited:
    IX. - Bundles of Years
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    That's the plan, though I currently have 0 colonists and am gaining precisely +0.00 per year. Even fairly far into the Narrowminded zone, it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect. Another Mesoamerican country is capable of colonizing, as I see later, so I'm at a loss.

BIG UPDAET TEIM

Bundles of Years - 1383 to 1400

1383 passes quietly. In December, some more South American provinces come to our notice. Just barely visible at the edge of the terra incognita is a trace of green, which our explorers suspect to be a rich kingdom high in the mountains. Our priests scoff at the notion of civilization outside of Cem Anahuac, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I am not entirely sure of what possessed me here. I guess my logic was that I didn't want to drop into negative stab (I forgot to record the passing of a comet event) and that I needed to keep relations with my vassals up in order to annex the Metztitleca as soon as possible. A centralization move goes down the drain.

As 1386 dawns, Tlacotzin II kicks the bucket after a long and successful reign, and Curicaueri punishes our foolish slider move with a legendarily bad 3-3-3 cazonci. I offer our new king a nifty position at the head of one of our armies and humbly suggest he go fight the 10,000 natives in Tohtepec for a while, and the excitable young fellow does so with gusto. Let's hope he drowns in a river or takes a spear to the eye before the campaign is over.

Another demands of freedom event triggers, hot on the heels of the last one. Again, my hand is forced, as the death of the last cazonci has put me at -1 stability and I'm loath to drop all the way to -3. Two hard-earned slider moves have been for nothing, so I swear my undying vengeance upon these good-for-nothing vassals. Their destruction will have to wait, sadly, as more pressing matters are at hand.

I guess they're good for one thing...

We take a Free Subjects move, unwilling to make another move to Centralization when it's likely to just be reversed again. A minor drop in prestige follows, but we don't especially care.

Resolving a diplomatic incident with Metztitlan helps to boost our relations with our vassals.

In August 1390, our new king's destruction of all the natives in the surrounding uncolonized provinces goads (as I had hoped) one of the Maya powers into colonizing a province adjacent to our territory. At last we have a casus belli on Kan Pech, and waste no time in declaring a war that soon includes both of the other Maya states.

We immediately seize the newest colonized province, and here our armies split to lay siege to the Q'iche lands, and to turn north into the Yucatan. The combined armies of Kan Pech and Chetumal are defeated in Belize, which is immediately occupied due to its lack of a fort. Chetumal is immediately annexed, and our armies begin laying siege to Peten and Campeche, which have been fortified in recent years.

Another crushing defeat is dealt to the Campechanos at Peten, and our armies pursue them further north.

By July 1391 the Q'iche are utterly defeated and have no choice but to join our growing empire.

The army of Kan Pech keeps running, and is utterly destroyed at Tulu'um. The province of Yucatan falls without a fight, but the rest of our armies must continue the arduous task of sieging the three fortified Campechano provinces.

As the sieges continue, we receive more tribute from our vassals, and a comet passes by.

At about the same time, we receive some interesting news - we have made contact with a pair of mountain kingdoms far to the south. The priesthood is quick to assert that they always knew there could be civilizations past the lands of Quatemala in the south, and that Curicaueri works in mysterious ways. The peoples call themselves the 'Chimu' and 'Wanka', the latter of which nearly causes a diplomatic incident when presented to our emissaries due to the vulgar-sounding nature of their name.

We're unsure of just what to do about these nations for now. They're too far away to add to our empire, and they seem to be suffering from the same trade problems that we are, so there's no economic reason to pay them any attention.

It isn't long before the last of the sieges in the Yucatan concludes, and Kan Pech is at last added to our empire. The last of the Maya states have been incorporated into the enlarged Tarascan state, which now more or less controls all of Mesoamerica.

We've broken our BB limit for the first time, and the revolt risk likely means we'll be busy for a while before we can even think of annexing Metztitlan as we'd been hoping.

This CB would have been handy a few decades ago...

Predictably, a wave of revolts hits the Yucatan. Like last time, our troops seem unwilling to kill more than a few hundred in any given battle (one battle yields only 50 enemy casualties), and it takes two of our new 14,000-man armies combined to deal a killing blow to the Maya peasants. Thankfully, there are no rebellions to contend with for the rest of the decade, and our troops enjoy a well-earned rest.

The former Mexica provinces core at last in 1397, and Mexica becomes an accepted culture. The conquests of the Great Mexican War should likewise core around 1412, in the not too distant future.

Through Chimu contacts, our knowledge of the Andes expands and we make contact with the kingdom of Quitu.

After 12 years of rule, our people at last see fit to depose the incompetent cazonci Tizoc, replacing him with a noble named Axayacatl who promises to be a fair military ruler. This would have been handy when there were still enemies to fight.

In July 1399, Metztitlan is at last added to our growing realm. A non-core province comes along with it, but it's not much of a concern. Next, we set our eyes on our tributary, the Huastec, the last semi-independent polity in Mesoamerica (other than our own glorious empire).

A nascent Mexica revolt is put down first in Mexico and then in Tlaxcala.

On 14 October 1399, I stop to appreciate how far our nation has come in the last 43 years. All of Cem Anahuac is under our boot, our economy (despite the lack of merchant trade) is growing from the rich goods we control, and our technology is growing, slowly but surely. Nevertheless, I am not completely pleased with our present situation.

We've lost two crucial Centralization moves, and as long as Huastec exists (which will be for several more years) there's the danger of any Centralization slider moves being reversed. Diploannexing them is hard enough on its own, but would also bring two more nasty, uncored provinces into our demesne. There is, however, something that could remedy all these problems at once, even as unappealing as the act itself seems - to regain the two Centralization, to core not only some of our current provinces but all the Huasteca ones and the uncolonized territories inside of our lands, and to allow us to do away with the Huasteca as quickly as possible.

The decision sits there as I hesitate - our culture would remain Tarascan and our capital at Tzintzuntzan, but to adopt the guise of one of our ancient enemies...?

Last edited:
    X. - Ascendancy
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Ascendancy - 1400 to 1415

Where last we left off, I was hovering indecisively over the button to Form the Aztec Nation. That button was grayed out as this session began, so I go about my regular EU3 business, waiting for it to return.

Towards the end of 1400, we make another Free Subjects move. The increased rights and privileges of the peasantry apparently make us look weak in the eyes of our neighbors. We inform our neighbors (all 1 of them) that if they care so much, they can call us 'weak' to the faces of our 42,000-man army, mightiest in the hemisphere. Our vassal, Huastec, nods sheepishly and goes about its merry way, quietly dreading its rapidly-approaching fate.

The following March, the button returns. My inability to access the Aztec files in Death and Taxes means that we will be stuck with a Mexica label and kings, but we're Tarascan where it counts - in our Tarascan culture, and the capital, Tzintzuntzan. Our cazonci takes up several crowns at a ceremony in Mexico, including the old Aztec title of Hue Tlatoani, and 'High King of the Yucatan'. Eyes will mist for centuries to come at the mention of the beautiful tale of 'aztec_nation_desc'.

The rejuvenated Tarascan state celebrates by renouncing all treaties with the Huasteca. As the vassalization is broken, and we gain cores on all three of the Huastec provinces, a new mission for our nation arises - to wipe out the Huasteca once and for all.

Speaking of cores, tag-switching to the Aztecs has granted us cores on the entire Aztec region, including three uncolonized provinces in between our territories. No colonists are yet forthcoming, so these cores remain frustratingly outside of our grasp for the foreseeable future.

At the beginning of July 1401, our armies cross the border, and the conquest of the Huastec nation is at hand.

The Huastec army is defeated first at Tohancapan, and then at the capital at Huastecas. Our forces fan out to lay siege to the entire country.

The sieges continue into the next year, with only occasional resistance from Huastec troops as the defenses of their cities continue to be battered away. News arrives from the west, as a new region enters the Empire, completely unexpectedly. An independent Tarascan chiefdom in Sayultecas decides to throw its lot in with its larger cousins to the south, expanding our control further up the Pacific coast.

It occurs to me now that this same event likely struck the Kan Pech, and that they never had colonists at all - thus how they controlled Guatemala for all of a month before our armies moved in to conquer them. What is a great boon for us proved to be the Maya's undoing.

A captured slaves event triggers - I'm going to miss this when the days of Mesoamerican conquest are over.

The resource in Sayultecas proves to be wool. Just what is producing the wool I cannot imagine - perhaps the locals are corralling bighorn sheep, or llamas have made the way north from the recently-discovered Andean kingdoms.

The new province also shows us a previously unknown, distant COT, the Sindhu Delta. As with the other two we have been afflicted with, its distance makes it useless to us.

Almost 2 years after the invasion began, the last Huastec fortresses are under our control. We annex the nation, completing the 50-year conquest of Cem Anahuac for the Tarascan Empire.

This victory notwithstanding, our cazonci lasts only two years longer before his achievements are forgotten, and he winds up dead somewhere on the road between Tzintzuntzan and Tenochtitlan. A new and more impressive leader, Auitzotl, rises to power in his place.

Yes, yes, this event is just hilarious. Why does this keep firing?

Events that actually effect us, however, do come further on down the line. The stability hit and loss of 68,000 manpower sounds nasty, so I take the discipline hit instead. This proves to be a poor choice later on when rebellions in the Yucatan flare up again, but lessons have to be learned.

Also in 1412 comes more interesting news, as a new kingdom, larger than any others yet contacted, is discovered amidst the Andes. The Aymara seem to be the predominant power in South America at present.

Our conquests from the Great Mexican War of the 1370s core around this time, Mixtec first, and then the Zapotec lands.

Another slider move comes, and this time we choose to move toward Innovative. It looks as though it won't particularly hurt our chances of getting colonists (at the moment, 0), and we could really use the help in pushing our technology forwards.

In April 1413, the Zapotec culture finally grows to full acceptance in our nation. There is now no longer any revolt risk in our Empire, west of the Yucatan at least.

In June 1415, we notice that the COT of Malabar has finally reached 800 in value, and we take advantage of this fact to liberate the provinces of the New World from the tyranny of distance centers of trade. We ultimately choose Mixtec as the spot for our new center of trade. Adjacent to our national focus, it is a fairly populous and wealthy province. Contrary to my misgivings, the COT does not stagnate to any noticeable degree as soon as I open my markets to the South American kingdoms (they haven't discovered the province and so can't trade there, but I could swear opening my markets increased the center's value nonetheless). As of the time of this writing (namely, around the late 1430s in-game) it still hasn't, so it seems to be a worthwhile investment after all.

The COT's coastal placement also offers another bonus:

At last, we're gaining colonists, however slowly. We expect our first colonist to arrive some time in the 1440s.

... It's going to be a long century.

Last edited:
    XI. - The Sacred Round Turns
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    The Sacred Round Turns - 1415 to 1435

It's not pretty work, but one of the vagaries of fate has jumbled the order of the screenshots for this segment in my imgur library. Thankfully, I put dates on the screenshots, so it should all be in order. Just ignore any that slip through out of order.

Where was I? The first quarter of the 15th Century is progressing. The Europeans can't even choose QFTNW until 1500, so I should be safe for some time yet. Unfortunately, my inability to march to South America and beat up the Andean powers to pass the time means that, for now, I'll need to sit up here and wait for colonists to tic.

In 1417, the number of Tarascan nobles and petits bourgeois heading to our new COT at Mixtec cause a demographic shift in the important province.

Later that year, some smart fellow in Tehuantepec harnesses a herd of guinea pigs to a plow, dramatically increasing the region's agricultural output. We levy this population growth into greater taxes in the province.

Meanwhile in the capital, some nasty slander is spread by opponents of the current cazonci's regime. Auitzotl decides to have the whole lot put to death, which really doesn't help the situation any.

Yet another province reaches our ken in the continent to the south. We have reason to think that there's two more kingdoms in the south, but there's no telling when we might come into contact with them.

By 1421, the recently-subjugated Mixtec and Huastec peoples finally seem to have come to terms with our superiority.

An innovative move causes grave concerns amongst the clergy and nobility as people begin to think for themselves.

The nobles get sick of our cazonci's poor reputation once again, and decide to replace them with a fairly awful ruler.

The first few years of the new cazonci's reign pass quietly. By 1432, all of the former Maya provinces have become our cores, and our little corner of the world is united and cored under our magnanimous rule at long last.

As 1433 ends, we reach Government tech 6, at long last giving us our first national idea. It's a tough choice, but ultimately I choose Grand Army to let us improve our numerical advantage over the eventual European would-be-conquerors even more. Colonial Ventures looked tempting, but I'll have time to colonize what I need even without it.

Tlacotzin bites the big one, and the much better Tizoc II arrives on the scene. Hopefully he fares better than his 3-3-3 namesake.

In April 1435, we fight what is probably our last nationalist/patriot revolt in all of Mesoamerica. The revolt risk all over is zero, so the rest of the time until contact is bound to be quiet.

Somewhere in the Mexican highlands, prospectors hit it big and discover a heretofore unknown vein of gold in the hills. The cazonci looks into expanding the palace's treasury room.

A further agricultural revolution comes in the former Zapotec lands as farmers realize that imported llamas make for better draft animals than herds of guinea pigs. We take this opportunity to raise the base tax in Tehuantepec even more.

In November, at long last, we reach Land tech 8, unlocking a variety of new options for our front line infantry. We soon phase out the Native Spearmen in favor of the American Forest Warriors, the most balanced of the new units in shock and morale. It isn't a whole lot better than what we were using beforehand, but when the judgement day arrives, we could use every edge we have.

XII. - More Tarascan Business
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Sorry for the delay!

I missed an earlier question: Teotl all the way, Catholicism is for quitter tribes. :p

This will be the last short update, the next update is gonna go all the way to 1500 >:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Tarascan Business - 1435 to 1450

My single colonist finally pops, and I send him with 73% odds to Tepeyacac. Thankfully, no reloads are necessary, as it pops on the first try. The province is a core of our nation already due to the Aztec tag-switch, and has about 11,000 natives whom the game would not allow me to poach for whatever reason.

Thankfully, this seems to have some benefits, as the natives pop and raise the province's settled population several times in quick succession.

By 1445, the province is self-sustaining, and Tepeyacac becomes an integral part of our nation (that and the disturbing gray splotch in the midst of my empire is gone!).

During this time, an innovative wave hits our nation, giving a brief bonus to all of our research.

A fellow who puts forward the fancy notion of stone defensive walls to protect our cities. We have him set up shop in Tlapan. We can only hope that further defensive bonus events hit in coastal cities which will some day be vulnerable to European invasion.

We also execute two centralization moves:

The first decentralizes our nation.

The second...

XIII.a - And the Rest of the Friggin' Century
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    This update has been split in twain for size!

And the Rest of the Friggin' Century - 1450 to 1500 (Part 1)

The rebellion was anticlimactically squashed. You will find that anticlimax is a common theme of the early parts of Native AARs. Three years later, the populous province of Tehuantepec, once a core of the Zapotec state, has become almost completely Tarascan in character.

In early 1457, another colonist arrives at last, and the Aztec core of Acatlan is claimed for our empire. No native assimilation events this time because I sorta accidentally murdered them all ages ago, so the province develops slowly. I need to do something about this colonist gaining rate...

Meanwhile, a Free Trade move allows us to follow the national decision 'The Road South'. Our nation has been fascinated with the mountain kingdoms of the south, so a dedicated expedition of discovery is sent all the way to the southern cone of the Americas, uncovering the squabbling Isthmian principalities as well as the two Andean kingdoms which we had not yet met. Still, distance makes conquest impractical (sadly) so trading relationships will have to be maintained instead. We open our markets to these kingdoms, who can finally trade through Mixtec - or would, if it wasn't so difficult. The value of our COT rises nonetheless.

All this talk of exploration and trade has our people in an outward-looking mood, so we switch national ideas to Colonial Ventures to speed up the abysmal rate at which we'd been gaining colonists.

We're immediately awarded for our efforts with the rise of powerful colonial companies in the empire, one of which amasses the funds to expand Tarascan rule into the northern part of the Gulf Coast.

As more colonists arrive, we finally recover the last core outside of our territory, at Cihuatlan.

In 1471, our ungrateful people turn out Tizoc II the Explorer after a reign of 36 years, and put the less impressive Axayacatl II in charge instead. This marks the start of a dynasty called the Davi, who hail from the former Mixtec lands, as the first string of hereditary rulers in the Tarascan Empire thus far.

The death of the Explorer doesn't hinder our continued expansion, however. Tochtepec on the coast of Tabasco is added to our growing hegemony over Mesoamerica.

After a short reign of 6 years, Axayacatl dies, leaving the throne to his son, Moctezuma II.

That ugly gray blotch on the map of our empire is finally properly colored in when Chiapan is reached by our colonists.

A scant year passes before Moctezuma dies as well, and his eldest son, Tizoc III, rises to power.

An event early in Tizoc's reign was to have great significance, as Zapopan, the last Tarascan-cultured province outside of our rule, joins their brothers as part of our glorious empire.

Last edited:
    XIII.b - And the Rest of the Friggin' Century
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    And the Rest of the Friggin' Century - 1450 to 1500 (Part 2)

Our magistrates in the 1480s are mostly sitting around, bored, waiting for new provinces to grow large enough for forts, so I spend two of them on removing the Mixtec core from Mixtec, our Center of Trade. No particular reason why.

The Tarascan Empire extends its rule into Central America for the first time as the Honduran principalities (mostly Maya-influenced Chibchan peoples, I suspect) are conquered and colonized.

Pipil joins Honduras soon afterwards, and at long last, all the provinces in the Mesoamerican region are under our control.

Inexplicably, the value of our COT drops off - it's grown too big, and the Andean kingdoms have decided to end our monopoly by creating one of their own, frustratingly inland where I can't send merchants to. A pox upon them!

... What's a pox? The Tarascans don't know yet.

The movement of Tarascans through Maya lands to conquer and colonize Honduras spells a demographic shift, as the more sparsely-populated Maya highlands take on an increasingly Tarascan character.

In late 1492, no interesting news arrives from the Caribbean. The Europeans must be busy fighting over how many angels fit on the heads of pins. Meanwhile, the Tarascan Empire, which has been growing and innovating for a century and a half, is expanding into the Chichimeca lands of the north.

When Tizoc III dies in 1493, Huitzihuitl I rises above his brothers in the vying for the throne, owing to his magnificently unpronounceable name.

With most of the provinces we wanted to control by 1500 secure, we switch back to Grand Army from Colonial Ventures, raising a further 30,000 troops to guard the Atlantic coast of our Empire.

After all, the day of the reckoning will swift be upon us. Speaking of the culprits themselves, as we reach 1500 CE, let us have a look at the distant lands of Eurasia...

Where Iberia has united under the Spanish Crown, the early-game favorites of England (or Great Britain) and France have both splintered. The former seems to have been split apart after a crushing defeat at the hands of Spain, and even Oldenburg has grabbed the province of Yorkshire (their loss). Norway, kicked out of its homeland, has expanded in the void left by Britain instead, and has set up shop in Scotland. France's fate is more mysterious, but Burgundy has filled the void, and the entire region seems to have become Austria's playground.

Austria, meanwhile, has expanded into Croatia and Hungary, and is perhaps about to expand into France as well. Neither Austria nor Bohemia is the Emperor, however - that honor goes to the powerful nation of Brandenburg, which has stood up admirably against Poland. Speaking of which...

By Jove! :confused:

Poland is a continent-bestriding behemoth, stretching from Silesia to Chechnya.

The Byzantines appear to be a respawn, as the Queen of Cities itself is Epirote at the moment. The Ottomans have mostly focused on Syria, but also seem to have bypassed the more desirable routes of conquest to go beat up on poor Serbia. In Italy, meanwhile, Milan looks to be the ascendant power.

Up north, where the air gets cold, Sweden is the greatest power, and looks poised to duke it out with a sturdy-looking Denmark for control of Scandinavia. Novgorod the Great stretches deep into Siberia, and Estonia is clinging to life as an OPM in Osel.

In the Middle East, the Jalayirids have been pushed east into Persia, and an Iraqi Arab state controls most of Mesopotamia. The Ilkhanate successors are all clinging to life, but Iran is largely a ridiculous, jumbled mess. The Egyptians have suffered heavily at the hands of the Hafsids and Syria, which is curiously based in Palestine. Yemen has grabbed pieces of Arabia and Egypt here and there.

To the east, India has largely been divided in three parts between three major Islamic sultanates - Delhi, Deccan, and Bengal.

Finally, in the Orient, there's no sign at all of the hapless Yuan. The Ming have taken their place as the regional punching bag, and are in the process of being ripped apart by minor Chinese feudal states and a hugely powerful Joseon which may yet become the great power of this region.

Thus is the state of the world in 1500. It is about to be changed forever by the meeting of the Eastern and Western Hemispheres, because it appears that the Spanish have reached the Caribbean...

Last edited:
    XIV. - #2manycomets
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Mea culpa.

#2manycomets - 1500 to 1511

We end up waiting a while for the Europeans to show up. Irritated investigation shows the Spanish exploration fleet sitting, leaderless, attriting to death in the southern Caribbean.

In the mean time, Huitzlihuitl passes on, leaving the reins of government to his nephew, Ahuitzotl, second of his name. His high administration score will be a great asset in days to come.

At last, something curious crests over the horizon, like a pair of trees moving on the water, before it vanishes into the distance again. It's the Spanish explorer Vicente Yáñez Pinzón, successor to the Spanish crown's previous, failed Caribbean expeditions. Though he didn't catch a glimpse of the great Tarascan Empire on his first voyage, he would return several times over the next five years, bringing the first accounts of life in the New World back to Europe.

Soon, all of Iberia is aflame with excited rumors about the Lands of the Dog Warriors (generally rendered Tierras de los Guerreros for short), where cities of spires and pyramids float on lakes and gold bubbles freely from every mountain spring. Hundreds of Portuguese and Moorish peasants, eager to leave the Castilian-dominated homeland behind, flock in droves to cross the seas and strike out a new fortune in the continent which soon becomes called Guerreria.

The cazonci Ahuitzotl is more than a little wary of the foreigners arriving south of his borders. The people are more fearful and wary than ever, questioning even the ancient ways religious practices of the P'urhepecha people. The last thing he needs is nosy foreigners and their strange cross-god stirring up civil disorder even more.

The problem becomes more apparent yet when the King of Spain leverages his influence over the Papal Curia to call a holy war against the 'infidels' of Guerreria, promising to save the souls of all the 'savages' dwelling there.

Wishing to understand this potential threat more readily, Ahuitzotl decides to take charge of the situation, and have a closer look at the raw men from across the sea. He leads a military expedition against the Pipil principalities around Lake Managua, annexing the region and sending the captives back to Tzintzuntzan for sacrifice.

What he finds disturbs him.

The raw men sail across the sea in mountains made of wood, and use weapons that spit fire and bark like hounds. Their blades easily penetrate even the most complex Tarascan armor, and they ride enormous deer into battle. Everything the Tarascans encounter is more confusing and awe-inspiring than the last. The meaning of all this is clear: the foreigners have the advantage, by far, and if the Tarascan Empire is to survive, it must adapt.

The establishment is unhappy to say the very least. Nobles and priests conspire to overthrow the cazonci and his subversive ideals, while ethnic and religious minorities at the empire's fringes threaten to roil over into open rebellion. Provided that these inside influences can be kept at bay, however, the empire perhaps stands a chance against the coming tide of colonialism.

As the Tarascan Empire takes its first, trembling steps into this new world, they become aware of just how big the wider world is. Tales arrive of the cities and riches of Europe, the jungles and deserts of Africa, the veiled mountains and teeming multitudes of China.

Plus one little island that makes the cazonci nervous; he feels as if it's watching him, with judging eyes.

As the first horses and shipwrights are stolen away from Spanish encampments in the dark of the night, the empire's military rapidly approaches western standards.

And as a last-ditch effort to save the empire from the maw of destruction, Ahuitzotl makes a somewhat more shocking choice...

(I was already at -3 stab from westernizing, so why not?)

#YOLO #Purhepecha #2manycomets

Last edited:
    XV. - Guerreria
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    I see everyone has run off for the new EUIV AAR section to enjoy its utter lack of Tarascans. No matter!

Guerreria - 1511 to 1513

In an elaborate ceremony in Tzintzuntzan, Ahuitzotl is baptized into the Christian faith in absentia by the Pope, via a Spanish bishop from Costa Rica. He takes the baptismal name John, and the king of Spain, as his sponsor, is his godfather. He is also re-crowned as Emperor of Guerreria and all the Mexica, King of Tzintzuntzan, &c. &c.

In a more practical sense, though the current crusade isn't broken, future ones will be impossible. The Europeans lose the Colonial Conquest casus belli against us, and we gain it against all those tempting targets to our south...

Catholic though they may be in name, the average citizen of the empire retains most of the 'pagan' practices and beliefs that they had before. Most of the myriad cults of the gods and goddesses of Mesoamerica continue more or less unchanged, being renamed for Christian saints instead. The form of Christianity that arises here is strange and unquestionably heretical, but the Church, dealing with the Protestant heresy at home, remains unwilling to alienate a potential ally.

Our first Catholic province is Nicaragua, which is still in the process of colonization.

The Tarascan fleet grows rapidly.

News arrives from across the sea of a new heresy. Inspired by the increasing success of the Protestant movement, exiled French theologian Johann Kalvin preaches a doctrine of absolute sovereignty of God, starting a bold new sally against the waning influence of the Roman Catholic Church.

Sweden so far is the only important kingdom to have accepted Protestantism, although it's spreading across the European continent like wildfire.

Back in Guerreria, the Tarascan people are upset by the rapid changes in their society, and make it known...

In response, the government continues to westernize, fighting against the growing tide of protest from the people.

The first cavalry engagement in Tarascan history occurs at Tohancapan.

Abroad, meanwhile, Islam is spreading. Most of India, controlled by Muslim sultanates, now bows toward Mecca, even as the Khmer reintroduce Buddhism to its ancient homeland in the south.

The Ottoman Empire continues to expand in the Balkans, encircling the tiny Roman remnant at Thessalonica. Poland and Austria look on worriedly.

I found the last Yuan province.

(you can do it, little guy)

(i have faith in you)

Last edited:
    XVI. - Faithclash
  • Gruekiller

Achaean Prince(ss)
    48 Badges
    Mar 27, 2011
    • Rome Gold
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Darkest Hour
    • Europa Universalis III
    • Divine Wind
    • Stellaris
    • 500k Club
    • Victoria 2
    Faithclash - 1513 to 1518

The Muslims of the Horn of Africa are keeping pace with their brothers elsewhere. The powerful Sultanate of Yemen continues to conquer more and more of the east of the continent, while the ancient Christian kingdom of Ethiopia is being overrun by the Egyptians. Christendom looks on in worry, but is too busy with its internal struggles to do much in response.

Thanks to province conversion events and lucky missionaries, this is the religious situation in the Tarascan Empire by 1515.

What on earth

The king of Spain, with the permission of the Holy See, calls an ecclesiastical council in the Spanish-controlled city of Dublin on the issue of the spreading Protestant heresy. Delegates from Guerreria are in attendance. Some important church reforms are pushed through, and the Catholic powers pledge to put all possible effort into halting the spread of Protestantism and other heretical sects.

If there are any effects of the Council, they aren't immediately apparent. Protestantism and other new schools are still spreading everywhere. The reduced kingdom of France is one of the most prominent recent converts, and the heresies are especially prevalent in its former territories (the Holy Father blames those damned Cathars). Only Spain and Italy remain mostly untouched.

I found the one Hussite province.

One of the first major religious wars of the continent comes as the Duke of Milan wins a victory against the Protestant king of Provence, forcing the small Occitan kingdom to return to the fold of the True Faith. The victory is hailed by most of the Catholic nations, though Burgundy, wary of Italian intrusions into their sphere of influence, looks on in suspicion.

The next shot fired echoes loudly across the continent: the Catholic goliath of Poland declares war on Sweden, the greatest of the Protestant powers.

In 1517, the first discernible territorial change in South America ever occurs when Chimor absorbs their long-time tributary of Nasca.

A major coup in the continuing religious struggle in France comes when the Duke of Burgundy, alienated by the Papacy and other Catholic Italian powers, splits from the church in Rome, joining their French brothers.

In counterpoint, however, the Baltic war ends soon thereafter with a Catholic victory. Sweden, finding most of Finland occupied by the Poles, comes to the peace table and walks away under comparatively lenient terms. A couple border provinces change hands to the victorious Kingdom of Poland.

Ahuitzotl/John of the Tarascans, meanwhile, has been busy re-imposing social order on his realm. All is quiet in Guerreria...

Last edited: