• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
perhaps spain will deem it more lucrative to expand in europe?
Nah. In every single game of D&T I've played they've been a major colonizer. They will colonize all of south america and probably a bit in north america. For some reason they usually ignore the carribean. Oh and of course they enjoy beating up the poor natives in the middle :cool:

Form Mexico and conquer the world!

All hail the new update. Say hello to the Spainiards for me.

Count me in. It's always interesting to see a New World AAR, as they are quite rare.
Looks like you might have a lot of trouble with the Europeans. Castille/ Spain is probably the worst of the bunch- the flat out have a lot of ships and manpower to administer a cruel beating. Also, with the 25 years discovery spread, the other European countries will know about you sooner.
Well, I hope you'll handle it well :) And if you run out of troops, you can always send in the dogs.

XIV. - #2manycomets
Mea culpa.

#2manycomets - 1500 to 1511

4QgevrV.png

We end up waiting a while for the Europeans to show up. Irritated investigation shows the Spanish exploration fleet sitting, leaderless, attriting to death in the southern Caribbean.

In the mean time, Huitzlihuitl passes on, leaving the reins of government to his nephew, Ahuitzotl, second of his name. His high administration score will be a great asset in days to come.

lhsZFV3.png

At last, something curious crests over the horizon, like a pair of trees moving on the water, before it vanishes into the distance again. It's the Spanish explorer Vicente Yáñez Pinzón, successor to the Spanish crown's previous, failed Caribbean expeditions. Though he didn't catch a glimpse of the great Tarascan Empire on his first voyage, he would return several times over the next five years, bringing the first accounts of life in the New World back to Europe.

O7bCAuK.png

Soon, all of Iberia is aflame with excited rumors about the Lands of the Dog Warriors (generally rendered Tierras de los Guerreros for short), where cities of spires and pyramids float on lakes and gold bubbles freely from every mountain spring. Hundreds of Portuguese and Moorish peasants, eager to leave the Castilian-dominated homeland behind, flock in droves to cross the seas and strike out a new fortune in the continent which soon becomes called Guerreria.

oKglBYY.png

The cazonci Ahuitzotl is more than a little wary of the foreigners arriving south of his borders. The people are more fearful and wary than ever, questioning even the ancient ways religious practices of the P'urhepecha people. The last thing he needs is nosy foreigners and their strange cross-god stirring up civil disorder even more.

The problem becomes more apparent yet when the King of Spain leverages his influence over the Papal Curia to call a holy war against the 'infidels' of Guerreria, promising to save the souls of all the 'savages' dwelling there.

YKmBRNc.png

Wishing to understand this potential threat more readily, Ahuitzotl decides to take charge of the situation, and have a closer look at the raw men from across the sea. He leads a military expedition against the Pipil principalities around Lake Managua, annexing the region and sending the captives back to Tzintzuntzan for sacrifice.

What he finds disturbs him.

pAmBG1A.png

The raw men sail across the sea in mountains made of wood, and use weapons that spit fire and bark like hounds. Their blades easily penetrate even the most complex Tarascan armor, and they ride enormous deer into battle. Everything the Tarascans encounter is more confusing and awe-inspiring than the last. The meaning of all this is clear: the foreigners have the advantage, by far, and if the Tarascan Empire is to survive, it must adapt.

UcEPUKg.png

The establishment is unhappy to say the very least. Nobles and priests conspire to overthrow the cazonci and his subversive ideals, while ethnic and religious minorities at the empire's fringes threaten to roil over into open rebellion. Provided that these inside influences can be kept at bay, however, the empire perhaps stands a chance against the coming tide of colonialism.

nzTAFmu.png

N1o74Uj.png

As the Tarascan Empire takes its first, trembling steps into this new world, they become aware of just how big the wider world is. Tales arrive of the cities and riches of Europe, the jungles and deserts of Africa, the veiled mountains and teeming multitudes of China.

uwe5iNx.png

Plus one little island that makes the cazonci nervous; he feels as if it's watching him, with judging eyes.

YvwZ4nl.png

As the first horses and shipwrights are stolen away from Spanish encampments in the dark of the night, the empire's military rapidly approaches western standards.

WqeM32i.png

And as a last-ditch effort to save the empire from the maw of destruction, Ahuitzotl makes a somewhat more shocking choice...

MMwuumX.png

zeVW83s.png

(I was already at -3 stab from westernizing, so why not?)

#YOLO #Purhepecha #2manycomets

Last edited:
XV. - Guerreria
I see everyone has run off for the new EUIV AAR section to enjoy its utter lack of Tarascans. No matter!

Guerreria - 1511 to 1513

4QgevrV.png

In an elaborate ceremony in Tzintzuntzan, Ahuitzotl is baptized into the Christian faith in absentia by the Pope, via a Spanish bishop from Costa Rica. He takes the baptismal name John, and the king of Spain, as his sponsor, is his godfather. He is also re-crowned as Emperor of Guerreria and all the Mexica, King of Tzintzuntzan, &c. &c.

In a more practical sense, though the current crusade isn't broken, future ones will be impossible. The Europeans lose the Colonial Conquest casus belli against us, and we gain it against all those tempting targets to our south...

4TB2eXX.png

Catholic though they may be in name, the average citizen of the empire retains most of the 'pagan' practices and beliefs that they had before. Most of the myriad cults of the gods and goddesses of Mesoamerica continue more or less unchanged, being renamed for Christian saints instead. The form of Christianity that arises here is strange and unquestionably heretical, but the Church, dealing with the Protestant heresy at home, remains unwilling to alienate a potential ally.

Our first Catholic province is Nicaragua, which is still in the process of colonization.

LB1hgh9.png

The Tarascan fleet grows rapidly.

pbwL0kB.png

News arrives from across the sea of a new heresy. Inspired by the increasing success of the Protestant movement, exiled French theologian Johann Kalvin preaches a doctrine of absolute sovereignty of God, starting a bold new sally against the waning influence of the Roman Catholic Church.

5NjxFY6.png

Sweden so far is the only important kingdom to have accepted Protestantism, although it's spreading across the European continent like wildfire.

WM2F68N.png

Back in Guerreria, the Tarascan people are upset by the rapid changes in their society, and make it known...

PBGj83Y.png

7xjwlAC.png

ZxcJjcf.png

In response, the government continues to westernize, fighting against the growing tide of protest from the people.

bFqDMCy.png

A1WnCsW.png

The first cavalry engagement in Tarascan history occurs at Tohancapan.

5ixnIWb.png

Abroad, meanwhile, Islam is spreading. Most of India, controlled by Muslim sultanates, now bows toward Mecca, even as the Khmer reintroduce Buddhism to its ancient homeland in the south.

sxTf73T.png

The Ottoman Empire continues to expand in the Balkans, encircling the tiny Roman remnant at Thessalonica. Poland and Austria look on worriedly.

RwvpKln.png

I found the last Yuan province.

F8tnmEA.png

(you can do it, little guy)

(i have faith in you)

Last edited:
Yes, and it's good to be back! Though that Savoy AAR around the corner has left the place smelling curiously of pasta in my absence...

I love your conversion gambit. Very clever, and obviously helpful in your plans to conquer all those southern animists...

I hope your people quickly appreciate your cleverness!

hehehe :D
I was sparing native mexico by respect for this AAR but I guess I'll change my mind :D

Ai dios mio!

XVI. - Faithclash
Faithclash - 1513 to 1518

4QgevrV.png

The Muslims of the Horn of Africa are keeping pace with their brothers elsewhere. The powerful Sultanate of Yemen continues to conquer more and more of the east of the continent, while the ancient Christian kingdom of Ethiopia is being overrun by the Egyptians. Christendom looks on in worry, but is too busy with its internal struggles to do much in response.

092Pqch.png

Thanks to province conversion events and lucky missionaries, this is the religious situation in the Tarascan Empire by 1515.

y99cUOD.png

What on earth

DPx8zIM.png

The king of Spain, with the permission of the Holy See, calls an ecclesiastical council in the Spanish-controlled city of Dublin on the issue of the spreading Protestant heresy. Delegates from Guerreria are in attendance. Some important church reforms are pushed through, and the Catholic powers pledge to put all possible effort into halting the spread of Protestantism and other heretical sects.

gvyr7AZ.png

NOq8YiP.png

If there are any effects of the Council, they aren't immediately apparent. Protestantism and other new schools are still spreading everywhere. The reduced kingdom of France is one of the most prominent recent converts, and the heresies are especially prevalent in its former territories (the Holy Father blames those damned Cathars). Only Spain and Italy remain mostly untouched.

agMHbu8.png

I found the one Hussite province.

zGOH7Yd.png

One of the first major religious wars of the continent comes as the Duke of Milan wins a victory against the Protestant king of Provence, forcing the small Occitan kingdom to return to the fold of the True Faith. The victory is hailed by most of the Catholic nations, though Burgundy, wary of Italian intrusions into their sphere of influence, looks on in suspicion.

D0N9oSH.png

The next shot fired echoes loudly across the continent: the Catholic goliath of Poland declares war on Sweden, the greatest of the Protestant powers.

yCVgZnc.png

In 1517, the first discernible territorial change in South America ever occurs when Chimor absorbs their long-time tributary of Nasca.

fqobXa3.png

A major coup in the continuing religious struggle in France comes when the Duke of Burgundy, alienated by the Papacy and other Catholic Italian powers, splits from the church in Rome, joining their French brothers.

2gr4ZMf.png

In counterpoint, however, the Baltic war ends soon thereafter with a Catholic victory. Sweden, finding most of Finland occupied by the Poles, comes to the peace table and walks away under comparatively lenient terms. A couple border provinces change hands to the victorious Kingdom of Poland.

SdeS9u6.png

Ahuitzotl/John of the Tarascans, meanwhile, has been busy re-imposing social order on his realm. All is quiet in Guerreria...

svgE6jw.png

Last edited:
Soon, the unsuspecting whiteskins shall know fear! Good job on this, has been a fun read, and while I'm a bit saddened that you didn't stay pagan, I understand the reasoning.

I probably lack the skill to survive a run like that. Either way, my Tarascans are Catholic mostly in name. Too bad there isn't a 'Native/Syncretic Catholic' religion in this game.