• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually It seems I'm wrong, it's still in. Better pray then that the AI has one of its stupid moments and doesn't use the seize button. Or convert to catholic, that seems to be what the AIs do in every single game I play and they survive just fine there.

Edit: But I don't get it on Kongo, Mutapa or Ryuku, only the americans.

Actually It seems I'm wrong, it's still in. Better pray then that the AI has one of its stupid moments and doesn't use the seize button. Or convert to catholic, that seems to be what the AIs do in every single game I play and they survive just fine there.

Edit: But I don't get it on Kongo, Mutapa or Ryuku, only the americans.

Actually, that's pretty vague. I cannot imagine any European nation making an official "peace" with an African tribal nation. I think it should be more horde-like, with colonizing their provinces. But that's OT. As is the plan of running to Taiwan, which was a "what if" scenario (and not even a serious one ;) ).

I believe Gruekiller's plan is to stand and fight :)

XII. - More Tarascan Business
Sorry for the delay!

I missed an earlier question: Teotl all the way, Catholicism is for quitter tribes. :p

This will be the last short update, the next update is gonna go all the way to 1500 >:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Tarascan Business - 1435 to 1450

orZZqYM.png

My single colonist finally pops, and I send him with 73% odds to Tepeyacac. Thankfully, no reloads are necessary, as it pops on the first try. The province is a core of our nation already due to the Aztec tag-switch, and has about 11,000 natives whom the game would not allow me to poach for whatever reason.

XmeqIue.png

Thankfully, this seems to have some benefits, as the natives pop and raise the province's settled population several times in quick succession.

wzhxEpT.png

By 1445, the province is self-sustaining, and Tepeyacac becomes an integral part of our nation (that and the disturbing gray splotch in the midst of my empire is gone!).

CtFZouF.png

During this time, an innovative wave hits our nation, giving a brief bonus to all of our research.

5OZosWu.png

A fellow who puts forward the fancy notion of stone defensive walls to protect our cities. We have him set up shop in Tlapan. We can only hope that further defensive bonus events hit in coastal cities which will some day be vulnerable to European invasion.

OhOkiN2.png

We also execute two centralization moves:

The first decentralizes our nation.

1pJcBeI.png

The second...

X1FZqJG.png

Here's hoping that when the Europeans arrive you can Westernize both tech and military in a few years. Seems you doing pretty well in preparing. I take it it works the same in D&T as a vanilla?

Oh the buildup. Can't wait to see what happens when the Europeans arrive.

XIII.a - And the Rest of the Friggin' Century
This update has been split in twain for size!

And the Rest of the Friggin' Century - 1450 to 1500 (Part 1)

4QgevrV.png

The rebellion was anticlimactically squashed. You will find that anticlimax is a common theme of the early parts of Native AARs. Three years later, the populous province of Tehuantepec, once a core of the Zapotec state, has become almost completely Tarascan in character.

cxeM3Gf.png

In early 1457, another colonist arrives at last, and the Aztec core of Acatlan is claimed for our empire. No native assimilation events this time because I sorta accidentally murdered them all ages ago, so the province develops slowly. I need to do something about this colonist gaining rate...

mTHHFyg.png

Meanwhile, a Free Trade move allows us to follow the national decision 'The Road South'. Our nation has been fascinated with the mountain kingdoms of the south, so a dedicated expedition of discovery is sent all the way to the southern cone of the Americas, uncovering the squabbling Isthmian principalities as well as the two Andean kingdoms which we had not yet met. Still, distance makes conquest impractical (sadly) so trading relationships will have to be maintained instead. We open our markets to these kingdoms, who can finally trade through Mixtec - or would, if it wasn't so difficult. The value of our COT rises nonetheless.

JLbBhvi.png

9AjAmHn.png

All this talk of exploration and trade has our people in an outward-looking mood, so we switch national ideas to Colonial Ventures to speed up the abysmal rate at which we'd been gaining colonists.

qgcfguG.png

We're immediately awarded for our efforts with the rise of powerful colonial companies in the empire, one of which amasses the funds to expand Tarascan rule into the northern part of the Gulf Coast.

lrvKHj6.png

As more colonists arrive, we finally recover the last core outside of our territory, at Cihuatlan.

MC1wTsv.png

In 1471, our ungrateful people turn out Tizoc II the Explorer after a reign of 36 years, and put the less impressive Axayacatl II in charge instead. This marks the start of a dynasty called the Davi, who hail from the former Mixtec lands, as the first string of hereditary rulers in the Tarascan Empire thus far.

EkdZ5KV.png

xeWZ3EK.png

The death of the Explorer doesn't hinder our continued expansion, however. Tochtepec on the coast of Tabasco is added to our growing hegemony over Mesoamerica.

gzP2whD.png

After a short reign of 6 years, Axayacatl dies, leaving the throne to his son, Moctezuma II.

bhackYF.png

That ugly gray blotch on the map of our empire is finally properly colored in when Chiapan is reached by our colonists.

EWhT4BL.png

A scant year passes before Moctezuma dies as well, and his eldest son, Tizoc III, rises to power.

gWTUqbc.png

An event early in Tizoc's reign was to have great significance, as Zapopan, the last Tarascan-cultured province outside of our rule, joins their brothers as part of our glorious empire.

gwijaFZ.png

Last edited:
XIII.b - And the Rest of the Friggin' Century
And the Rest of the Friggin' Century - 1450 to 1500 (Part 2)

4QgevrV.png

Our magistrates in the 1480s are mostly sitting around, bored, waiting for new provinces to grow large enough for forts, so I spend two of them on removing the Mixtec core from Mixtec, our Center of Trade. No particular reason why.

iaadVZ9.png

The Tarascan Empire extends its rule into Central America for the first time as the Honduran principalities (mostly Maya-influenced Chibchan peoples, I suspect) are conquered and colonized.

Plb6njJ.png

Pipil joins Honduras soon afterwards, and at long last, all the provinces in the Mesoamerican region are under our control.

estcxhR.png

Inexplicably, the value of our COT drops off - it's grown too big, and the Andean kingdoms have decided to end our monopoly by creating one of their own, frustratingly inland where I can't send merchants to. A pox upon them!

... What's a pox? The Tarascans don't know yet.

TpGug0B.png

The movement of Tarascans through Maya lands to conquer and colonize Honduras spells a demographic shift, as the more sparsely-populated Maya highlands take on an increasingly Tarascan character.

VQlS4BP.png

wGMK5B3.png

In late 1492, no interesting news arrives from the Caribbean. The Europeans must be busy fighting over how many angels fit on the heads of pins. Meanwhile, the Tarascan Empire, which has been growing and innovating for a century and a half, is expanding into the Chichimeca lands of the north.

3iwvN07.png

When Tizoc III dies in 1493, Huitzihuitl I rises above his brothers in the vying for the throne, owing to his magnificently unpronounceable name.

Wiasm9D.png

With most of the provinces we wanted to control by 1500 secure, we switch back to Grand Army from Colonial Ventures, raising a further 30,000 troops to guard the Atlantic coast of our Empire.

qpi1dGz.png

After all, the day of the reckoning will swift be upon us. Speaking of the culprits themselves, as we reach 1500 CE, let us have a look at the distant lands of Eurasia...

Where Iberia has united under the Spanish Crown, the early-game favorites of England (or Great Britain) and France have both splintered. The former seems to have been split apart after a crushing defeat at the hands of Spain, and even Oldenburg has grabbed the province of Yorkshire (their loss). Norway, kicked out of its homeland, has expanded in the void left by Britain instead, and has set up shop in Scotland. France's fate is more mysterious, but Burgundy has filled the void, and the entire region seems to have become Austria's playground.

Austria, meanwhile, has expanded into Croatia and Hungary, and is perhaps about to expand into France as well. Neither Austria nor Bohemia is the Emperor, however - that honor goes to the powerful nation of Brandenburg, which has stood up admirably against Poland. Speaking of which...

79SoLux.png

By Jove! :confused:

Poland is a continent-bestriding behemoth, stretching from Silesia to Chechnya.

The Byzantines appear to be a respawn, as the Queen of Cities itself is Epirote at the moment. The Ottomans have mostly focused on Syria, but also seem to have bypassed the more desirable routes of conquest to go beat up on poor Serbia. In Italy, meanwhile, Milan looks to be the ascendant power.

CzLm3qA.jpg

Up north, where the air gets cold, Sweden is the greatest power, and looks poised to duke it out with a sturdy-looking Denmark for control of Scandinavia. Novgorod the Great stretches deep into Siberia, and Estonia is clinging to life as an OPM in Osel.

jgNnlBb.png

In the Middle East, the Jalayirids have been pushed east into Persia, and an Iraqi Arab state controls most of Mesopotamia. The Ilkhanate successors are all clinging to life, but Iran is largely a ridiculous, jumbled mess. The Egyptians have suffered heavily at the hands of the Hafsids and Syria, which is curiously based in Palestine. Yemen has grabbed pieces of Arabia and Egypt here and there.

MmyNuSK.jpg

To the east, India has largely been divided in three parts between three major Islamic sultanates - Delhi, Deccan, and Bengal.

rMVQ2IO.png

Finally, in the Orient, there's no sign at all of the hapless Yuan. The Ming have taken their place as the regional punching bag, and are in the process of being ripped apart by minor Chinese feudal states and a hugely powerful Joseon which may yet become the great power of this region.

Ktygrmj.jpg

Thus is the state of the world in 1500. It is about to be changed forever by the meeting of the Eastern and Western Hemispheres, because it appears that the Spanish have reached the Caribbean...

Last edited:
Consider that twin update my apology for inactivity - I played fifty years, took and edited forty screenshots, and wrote two updates in one afternoon. :D

It was my pleasure. :)

What do you folks make of the strategic situation in Eurasia? How about my chances against Monster!Spain?

I'm personally surprised more by the fact there's a victor of sorts in Russia. With the considerable success of Poland and the non-complete collapse of the Golden Horde, Muscovy has not had the opportunity to expand deep into the south and become Novgorod's equal partner by virtue of having no real motivation to unify.

IMO, You DEFINITELY have your hands full. Spain is a monster.
Huh ? How is spain a monster ? They seem to have iberia and that's it.
Due to the collapse of France and England, theres not really anyone that can give them much of a fight to help you out.
On the other hand this removes colonisers which is good for him.

Seems one of the better outcomes for him how europe turned out.

Spain also has Meath, Kent, Pisa, and a couple others that I can't recall. They have the largest navy in Europe, and are probably second only to Poland and maybe Austria and Novgorod for armies.

Thankfully, Spain has helped me out, as you say, by destroying three of the other main colonizers. Spain may be powerful, but only one European nation will be expending its limited money and colonists on conquering the New World. :)