• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately, the decision to form Mexico requires westernization and some other nonsense, so it's fairly far off. It's an ultimate goal of mine, but one which will probably come some time in the 17th or even 18th Century.

Mexico trading through Malabar, I imagine something like this...

Who's that weird guy in the head dress?

Not sure but I think he's a christian?

Really. Why?

Well he says he's from Mexico and every other chap there is called Jesus...

VII. - The Great Mexican War
Mexico trading through Malabar, I imagine something like this...

Who's that weird guy in the head dress?

Not sure but I think he's a christian?

Really. Why?

Well he says he's from Mexico and every other chap there is called Jesus...

:D

The Great Mexican War - 1371 to 1373

orZZqYM.png

Something occurs to me. At the start of the game, I set "Spread of land provinces" to 25 years, thinking it meant that provinces core more quickly; as it turns out, it means the Euros might show up at my shores a bit sooner than expected.

Whoopsy doodle.

All this means is that I'll need to conquer faster. It's been years since the Tarascan state has had a chance to enjoy any real warfare and to paint its pyramids that nice shade of scarlet that the gods love so much. I blow the dust off of the weapons racks, muster the armies, and point the military might of Tzintzuntzan toward its former allies, the Tlapaneca. Tlaxcallan, Metztitlan, and the Huasteca are all called in to assist us, and the Tlapaneca's allies, the Zapoteca, join their doomed brethren against our coalition.

hYxDyin.png

The Zapotec armies reach Tlapan, attempting to raise our siege of the city, only to be repulsed. Our armies continue the siege unabated, not bothering to pursue the Zapoteca - for now.

RL21BqY.png

Tlaxcallan (whom, as it turns out, I cannot just conquer militarily, as canceling vassalization just voids the mission) is stirring up trouble again. We give them a stern talking-to, but our forces are occupied with more immediate enemies.

rj8QaEP.png

Soon, all of the Tlapanec provinces are under our control, and the country is annexed, ending the war. The Zapotec return home unscathed, but we aren't quite finished with them yet.

G64KPdB.png

Less than a month later, we turn our sights on Teotitlan, and again, the Zapoteca answer the call to arms. This time, they're at the head of the coalition, this time including the Mixteca as well. It's a couple of months before Kan Pech honors an alliance with one of our enemies, dragging the armies of the Yucatan into the conflict. Nonetheless, none of the Maya factions make an appearance on the battlefield during this war.

3IZCbJK.png

It isn't long before Teotitlan succumbs and is absorbed into our growing empire. The Mixtec state too is steadily falling under our control, though their capital has a fort which is slowing our progress.

QOXkD8s.png

A Mixtec pretender takes a wrong left at Albuquerque, getting a bloody nose from our army before taking another turn into parts unknown, where some other nation dispatches them.

H319fYy.png

By mid October, the Mixtec are destroyed, and our armies move east to finish off the Zapoteca once and for all.

8fHnpgL.png

The pathetic remnants of the Zapotec army, which Tlaxcallan seems to have destroyed on its own, are no match for our armies, who lay siege to their provinces.

MBaSBXP.png

PX5kizv.png

It is February when the last of the sieges is over, and the nation capitulates. All of the Mexican provinces (save for the uncolonized pieces scattered throughout) now answer to Tzintzuntzan, whether directly or not.

05X32dv.png

edVQHdW.png

With my infamy at a staggering 32.3 from my unlawful annexations, I decide that it's best to wait a little while before finishing off the Maya states.

BZcwz7A.png

TNqCJlj.png

Thus concludes the first Great Mexican War, with a crushing Tarascan victory. The nation returns to its peacetime life, its territory nearly tripled, and attempts to secure its gains...

Last edited:
VIII. - Years of Peace, Years of Rebellion
Years of Peace, Years of Rebellion - 1373 to 1383

orZZqYM.png

Our high BB soon catches up with us (not that we particularly care what all 5 of the other nations in the world think of us), as revolt is fomented in Tlaxiaco. The extra revolt risk will prove to be a nuisance in coming years.

Y300yYZ.png

Due to its high revolt risk, and its central location in relation to our other new conquests, we move our national focus to Tlaxiaco, greatly reducing revolt risk in the entire region. We leave one of our armies here on rebel hunting duty. (Tlaxiaco is partly visible inside the green circle.)

AOzGT2b.png

To help reduce our infamy a bit more quickly, we replace our doddering old 1-star diplomat with a somewhat better 3-star one.

LqLjXqs.png

On the 14th of November, all Tarascan provinces (and Huastec provinces as well) are fortified, allowing us to spread our troops out a little bit. Outside of our empire, only Q'iche, with its ridiculously high land tech, has fortified its lone province.

WyYA6dw.png

I just pick an option at random when this event strikes. The aristocracy/plutocracy axis isn't terribly important to us at the moment, though moves to plutocracy will be unnecessary since merchants just do not exist.

A4DKS52.png

In January, plague strikes the province of Tlapanec, and only (expensive) action taken on behalf of the government stops more of the recently-conquered Tlapaneca from dying. I'm curious just what has afflicted them, since I don't know of any important epidemics in pre-Columbian America.

2oYWTaS.png

I have no comment on this.

EZk72Aq.png

Nationalist sentiment strikes again, this time in Tlapanec. They don't seem happy with our handling of the recent plague, but at our troops' encouragement, they don't seem willing to do anything about it.

bhVpv7h.png

Expending a bit of cultural tradition yields a 4-star diplomat, who replaces the last. Infamy is falling about about .8 per year at this point.

YKS5hUz.png

We'd come to expect this sort of thing from Tlaxcallan, but you, Huasteca? Our vassals really don't seem to recall their proper place in relation to us.

BYjvTcW.png

The opportunity to make a slider move comes again. We pursue further centralization again. Like the last time, there's a large revolt, though much smaller than the last. It takes some time to extinguish the last of the rebels, but ultimately no harm comes from the decision.

3nVtWrM.png

As we're putting down the rebels, our vassals begin to cry out for federalization. Are you joking? I didn't deal with a 12,000 man rebellion just to undo the slider move I'd literally just made. I grit my teeth and bear the stability hit and diplomatic slump.

neO8JFI.png

It's five months before the last of the rebels die. Our armies can't quite seem to kill more than a thousand troops in any given battle. At the same time, we notice that Kan Pech has annexed Mayapan, and act concerned once more for a few minutes.

O5VAfYR.png

The Huasteca seem to have realized the error of their ways, and our relations improve a little. It's good to know that at least some of our vassals respect their rightful place in the order of things.

Gg32dLR.png

Is this some kind of sick joke?

m6pDrsg.png

Another rebellion, this time in the former Tlapanec lands, is crushed. From this point, rebellions in the former Tlapanec, Mixtec, and Zapotec lands finally begin to die down.

68RCvej.png

In December of 1380, I'm reminded why I keep these recalcitrant little thorns in my side around. The occasional boosts to cash and prestige have helped me out significantly over the years.

EW7O6p8.png

We reach government tech 2, which is of no use to us whatsoever. We continue to press forward towards level 6 in the hopes of being able to adopt a national idea before the Europeans come.

SZfpCfl.png

In April 1381, I'm alerted that we've discovered a province - I take a quick gander around Mesoamerica and notice nothing different. Looking further afield, I see we've discovered a random province in the inland Andes mountains. I shrug and go about my business.

OLFQKpg.png

That December, another area comes to our notice, this time a vast, useless wasteland of jungle.

Ii8M10i.png

I can't afford to let anything set back my research. I need to be as far along in my technology as I can when the Europeans arrive - every level of land tech counts. I make a mental note to make a few moves towards Innovative when I have the chance.

pXC5Der.png

In January 1383, we at last manage to annex the ever-annoying state of Tlaxcallan into our empire. We lose a point of stability, but it will be recovered quickly.

oEHok9o.png

DeAZxPO.png

Our other clients to the northeast look to one another nervously, perhaps understanding now their ultimate fate as my unwilling slaves...

7OMMAjV.png

Last edited:
Unification of Mesoamerica well underway, now tech tech tech and hope you can hold of the Europeans using armies 5 time the size of theirs :D

IX. - Bundles of Years
That's the plan, though I currently have 0 colonists and am gaining precisely +0.00 per year. Even fairly far into the Narrowminded zone, it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect. Another Mesoamerican country is capable of colonizing, as I see later, so I'm at a loss.

BIG UPDAET TEIM

Bundles of Years - 1383 to 1400

orZZqYM.png

1383 passes quietly. In December, some more South American provinces come to our notice. Just barely visible at the edge of the terra incognita is a trace of green, which our explorers suspect to be a rich kingdom high in the mountains. Our priests scoff at the notion of civilization outside of Cem Anahuac, but I'm curious nonetheless.

WNvFiM2.png

I am not entirely sure of what possessed me here. I guess my logic was that I didn't want to drop into negative stab (I forgot to record the passing of a comet event) and that I needed to keep relations with my vassals up in order to annex the Metztitleca as soon as possible. A centralization move goes down the drain.

NOjEqGG.png

As 1386 dawns, Tlacotzin II kicks the bucket after a long and successful reign, and Curicaueri punishes our foolish slider move with a legendarily bad 3-3-3 cazonci. I offer our new king a nifty position at the head of one of our armies and humbly suggest he go fight the 10,000 natives in Tohtepec for a while, and the excitable young fellow does so with gusto. Let's hope he drowns in a river or takes a spear to the eye before the campaign is over.

ObqE7WJ.png

Another demands of freedom event triggers, hot on the heels of the last one. Again, my hand is forced, as the death of the last cazonci has put me at -1 stability and I'm loath to drop all the way to -3. Two hard-earned slider moves have been for nothing, so I swear my undying vengeance upon these good-for-nothing vassals. Their destruction will have to wait, sadly, as more pressing matters are at hand.

FVf0fRW.png

I guess they're good for one thing...

6GrXeOl.png

We take a Free Subjects move, unwilling to make another move to Centralization when it's likely to just be reversed again. A minor drop in prestige follows, but we don't especially care.

XYzaOB3.png

Resolving a diplomatic incident with Metztitlan helps to boost our relations with our vassals.

OHI63Av.png

In August 1390, our new king's destruction of all the natives in the surrounding uncolonized provinces goads (as I had hoped) one of the Maya powers into colonizing a province adjacent to our territory. At last we have a casus belli on Kan Pech, and waste no time in declaring a war that soon includes both of the other Maya states.

PEjsXrF.png

We immediately seize the newest colonized province, and here our armies split to lay siege to the Q'iche lands, and to turn north into the Yucatan. The combined armies of Kan Pech and Chetumal are defeated in Belize, which is immediately occupied due to its lack of a fort. Chetumal is immediately annexed, and our armies begin laying siege to Peten and Campeche, which have been fortified in recent years.

OXYsi4T.png

Another crushing defeat is dealt to the Campechanos at Peten, and our armies pursue them further north.

LvbsFck.png

By July 1391 the Q'iche are utterly defeated and have no choice but to join our growing empire.

7ubEs8P.png

The army of Kan Pech keeps running, and is utterly destroyed at Tulu'um. The province of Yucatan falls without a fight, but the rest of our armies must continue the arduous task of sieging the three fortified Campechano provinces.

FxlA9ry.png

As the sieges continue, we receive more tribute from our vassals, and a comet passes by.

ZqCFDIu.png

N64Uhlt.png

At about the same time, we receive some interesting news - we have made contact with a pair of mountain kingdoms far to the south. The priesthood is quick to assert that they always knew there could be civilizations past the lands of Quatemala in the south, and that Curicaueri works in mysterious ways. The peoples call themselves the 'Chimu' and 'Wanka', the latter of which nearly causes a diplomatic incident when presented to our emissaries due to the vulgar-sounding nature of their name.

We're unsure of just what to do about these nations for now. They're too far away to add to our empire, and they seem to be suffering from the same trade problems that we are, so there's no economic reason to pay them any attention.

hn4Dk8O.png

It isn't long before the last of the sieges in the Yucatan concludes, and Kan Pech is at last added to our empire. The last of the Maya states have been incorporated into the enlarged Tarascan state, which now more or less controls all of Mesoamerica.

CNVCkSC.png

ovgke2R.png

ml9E0qP.png

We've broken our BB limit for the first time, and the revolt risk likely means we'll be busy for a while before we can even think of annexing Metztitlan as we'd been hoping.

B0Wx77c.png

This CB would have been handy a few decades ago...

kjnFdJZ.png

Predictably, a wave of revolts hits the Yucatan. Like last time, our troops seem unwilling to kill more than a few hundred in any given battle (one battle yields only 50 enemy casualties), and it takes two of our new 14,000-man armies combined to deal a killing blow to the Maya peasants. Thankfully, there are no rebellions to contend with for the rest of the decade, and our troops enjoy a well-earned rest.

dukbHce.png

yWhQC45.png

The former Mexica provinces core at last in 1397, and Mexica becomes an accepted culture. The conquests of the Great Mexican War should likewise core around 1412, in the not too distant future.

n2UHLvQ.png

Through Chimu contacts, our knowledge of the Andes expands and we make contact with the kingdom of Quitu.

WiOx4HQ.png

After 12 years of rule, our people at last see fit to depose the incompetent cazonci Tizoc, replacing him with a noble named Axayacatl who promises to be a fair military ruler. This would have been handy when there were still enemies to fight.

jsZeHqo.png

vorUYOn.png

In July 1399, Metztitlan is at last added to our growing realm. A non-core province comes along with it, but it's not much of a concern. Next, we set our eyes on our tributary, the Huastec, the last semi-independent polity in Mesoamerica (other than our own glorious empire).

0XVYBAr.png

ZY2JCxZ.png

A nascent Mexica revolt is put down first in Mexico and then in Tlaxcala.

sqxC6Fm.png

On 14 October 1399, I stop to appreciate how far our nation has come in the last 43 years. All of Cem Anahuac is under our boot, our economy (despite the lack of merchant trade) is growing from the rich goods we control, and our technology is growing, slowly but surely. Nevertheless, I am not completely pleased with our present situation.

BtwK5On.png

We've lost two crucial Centralization moves, and as long as Huastec exists (which will be for several more years) there's the danger of any Centralization slider moves being reversed. Diploannexing them is hard enough on its own, but would also bring two more nasty, uncored provinces into our demesne. There is, however, something that could remedy all these problems at once, even as unappealing as the act itself seems - to regain the two Centralization, to core not only some of our current provinces but all the Huasteca ones and the uncolonized territories inside of our lands, and to allow us to do away with the Huasteca as quickly as possible.

The decision sits there as I hesitate - our culture would remain Tarascan and our capital at Tzintzuntzan, but to adopt the guise of one of our ancient enemies...?

bIcQiIE.png

Last edited:
What you SHOULD do is go into your game files, find the Aztec nation localization, and replace it with Michoacan/Tarascan related things... although that wouldn't necessarily be great from a narrative stance.

There's an interesting thought. Is there some sort of tutorial or guide?

EDIT: I'm a bit confused. Every single country in Death and Taxes is present in the countries folder except for the Aztecs. They're present in the vanilla EU3 folder, though, so should I edit it there?

Last edited:
Can you form Mexico as the Aztecs? If so, why not adopt the guise of your Mortal Enemies(TM) before proceeding to Re-Establish Your Cultural Hegemony?

I think all Mesoamerican entities can form Mexico. What do you mean by Re-Establish Your Cultural Hegemony?

Oh, I thought you were referring to some sort of in-game decision. :rofl:

Although I'd still like to know just where the Aztec file in D&T has run off to so I can make it a bit more Tarascan...

I can't find it. What you could do is go to a save where you are not Aztec, and change the 'Form Aztec' decision so that it doesn't change your tag. Then, you could go into Michoacan.txt and change the ruler names and probabilities about.

Ah, thanks. I'm not certain of how to change the files, so do I just delete 'AZT' in the 'change tag to' field?

Yes. Take change_tag = AZT out of the decision.

Regrettably, it seems that removing the tag change disables the decision. Unless I can track down the AZT file, I'll need to grit my teeth and bear it.

EDIT: I was wrong. As of the moment, the decision is no longer available to me. It's the exact same day as it was in the last screenshot I posted, and yet I can no longer take the decision. I thought it was odd that it showed the option when I had only 5 of the 6 cores needed, so I guess it was a glitch that it showed up to begin with? I'll need to wait a decade or so, annex Huastec, and then take the decision.

Last edited:
I've been playing again. Should I bother creating a new COT? The stagnation would end up killing it again, but could the money I earn through merchants in it make up for the loss?

If it would stagnate, don't bother. If you end up taking some sort of unification decision, though, it might mean you get a more prosperous CoT (more provinces, higher trade values, perhaps), and it'd be even less likely to collapse if you can tech to marketplaces in any sort of reasonable time.