XL weapon slot equivalent for missiles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scriptkiddy

Captain
3 Badges
Sep 12, 2020
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
I think that the devs should make explosive weapons more competitive, for example by introducing XL sized torpedos/missiles or by nerfing Point Defense stats or so. Because, in general as seen in SciFi movies etc., torpedoes should be the 2nd-most destructive weapons right after all that fancy planet cracker stuff.

• 5Like
Reactions:
There are two problems here, wrong forum, and presumably a typo in the title.

Edit: both have been fixed

Last edited:
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
moved to Stellaris

• 2Like
Reactions:
I do agree with OP. Various mods introduce superlonge range missiles. I would like to see a Mirv like xl missile. A single shot acquires and targets multiple ships. A laserguided shotgun at extreme range. Low dmg and very accurate. Sub optimal vs (super)capitals, but deadly against corvet swarms.
This way, one XL shot can target multiple smaller vessels, negating evasion counters(more rolls to evade=more fails=more hits, instead of your hyperkamehama wave being wasted)

• 2Like
Reactions:
On the one hand, I do like the idea of more XL options.

On the other hand, vanilla missiles could be improved substantially and if they were done well then you might not need an XL variation.

Even something fairly trivial like:

- Missile (basic) -> extra damage to Destroyer, Cruiser, and Starbase
- Torpedo -> extra damage to Cruiser, Battleship, and Titan
- Swarmer -> extra damage to Corvette and Destroyer

... would make weapon choice a bit more interesting. You'd play rock-paper-scissors instead of just playing TorpVette.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Currently missile weapons are, like other weapon categories, balanced to have anti-armor (torpedoes), anti-hull (missiles), and all ignore shields. Swarmers are more resistant against PD in exchange for less damage and no damage bonuses.

MissilesVettes are better now than TorpVettes, as shield ignoring is no longer Torpedo-exclusive and most targets ahve more hull than armor.

Reactions:
a big ass missile x50 larger than Saturn V rocket and with its own crew compliments as well as shield generator and point defense turrets. Costs quintillion energy credits per minute to fire. Its main purpose? KABOOOOOOOM

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Im all for xl missles but dont make it an anti corvette weapon. Strike craft already make a mockery of them and we got swarm missles for anti corvette duty.

Torpedoes are supposed to be anti capital ships right? So why not an even bigger one? Maybe a plasma torpedo that moves really slow but does INSANE amounts of damage if it connects. Like, 1 shot cruisers and vaporize half of a battleship levels of damage. Might give people an incentive to take PD to avoid beeing blown back to the stone age :p

Reactions:
Im all for xl missles but dont make it an anti corvette weapon. Strike craft already make a mockery of them and we got swarm missles for anti corvette duty.

Torpedoes are supposed to be anti capital ships right? So why not an even bigger one? Maybe a plasma torpedo that moves really slow but does INSANE amounts of damage if it connects. Like, 1 shot cruisers and vaporize half of a battleship levels of damage. Might give people an incentive to take PD to avoid beeing blown back to the stone age :p
XL => Swarm of Torpedoes?

• 2Like
Reactions:
MissilesVettes are better now than TorpVettes, as shield ignoring is no longer Torpedo-exclusive and most targets ahve more hull than armor.

It's true, hull is more prevalent. But Devastator torpedoes have 16% higher average damage than Marauder Missiles vs non-evasive targets and +260% damage per volley. If your concern is battleships and starbases they're still the better option. I will grant that missiles are better vs other corvettes and maybe even destroyers, but if you're worried about corvettes you're better off investing into carriers than guided weapons.

We hardly need anything for x slot, especially missiles, especially FAE is already the best x and all x are better than any L. L-torpedoes on the other hand mightmake cruisers stronger.

I would not be in favor of an improvement for missiles that only goes to Battleships, when they're already the dominant ship class and don't have the earlier G-slots as a thematic match. If there was a switch back to the original all-slots GW, I could probably get behind a natural progression of GW mounts from S- to X-slots.

It's a good idea, there's that Arc Conductor X-mount weapon which is meant to fill the defense-penetrating role for XL, but.... well.... yeah. Meanwhile on the smaller scale, early game, missiles are the shield-piecers, but then they sorta disappear as you unlock bigger ships.

I don't know what (or where to find) the actual number-crunching on the various weapons and modules, but I've never played MP, so tend to just create loadouts for whom- or whatever I'm currently fighting, using mostly a sort of "combined arms" doctrine, and it works just fine. But it seems like damn near anything "works just fine" versus the AI even on Grand Admiral, so I dunno what the actual missing role might be in competetive play... it seems to be like the various defense-piercing weapons wind up being super weak in practive, is that the case currently?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
On crisis x1 tech cost x1 anything works, you probably can fight unbidden with lances and it will work. :)

Particle Lance, Particle Lance, doin' the things a particle stream of charged tachyons caaaaan....

Ahem. Currently 1.5x crisis and 1.5x tech and... well... still no major problems here either.

Yeah, do x5 x5, we will discuss. :)

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Yeah, do x5 x5, we will discuss. :)
haha the multipliers go up that high? I have been nudging up various settings in very small increments, then making a new empire/game and checking out the results. Harhar, didn't occur to me to look at what the total range was.... would explain why I haven't seen much difference lol.

Well, technically crisis can be set to x25 now. Somebody is going to make an AAR of tc x5 crisis x25 win by some year. And somebody else is going to beat that time. It is going to be awesome. :)