• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well. there's a new Beta REDUX version that's currently updating the old WW1 mod. as that mod is more or less dead, due to the developer of that mod decided to flat out begin to work on his very own WW1 game instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
WW1 was very static war and probably game developers fear from that the WW1 game will be boring after a few runs.

It's not exactly true, the western front was far from static until the battle of the Aisne and the Race to the sea, and it opened up again in 1918. Meanwhile the eastern front was quite mobile.

Of course this make it even harder to represent as the game would have to be able represent both the static and mobile phases.

A good WW1 game should also represent the mobilization and the time it took. Also a big part of the stalemate on the western front was the time it took for the generals to learn what happened on the front and for their instruction to be received, preventing exploitation of successful offensives before the enemy could counterattack. That's not something that HOI does.

Last edited:
Reactions:
A WW1 DLC (or mod) would be interesting, but I would expect it to be the last DLC for the game if it comes. It would also be fine as a feature in HoI 5. But I don't see any reason to play from WW1 into WW2 as unless WW1 ends exactly in historical fashion so wont WW2 make any sense. It should essentially be an alternate mode to play the game in that ends when WW1 ends. It would be interesting from the perspective that few games deal with WW1 and most people (me included) know much less about it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You can escalate the economic crisis in the countries to give a pressure for a fast(er) decision. If the WW1 takes too long, the economy collapses. Maybe there are mechanics with PP to soften the crisis. If you have a peace treaty with special mechanics, maybe that will mirror more or less the interwar period.
But I agree, using the focus tree from vanilla HOI4 to escalate the next war wouldn't make any sense. And to create a long term focus tree with all the eventualities is somewhat philosophical.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In WW1 communication between units was slow and i don't know if it's possible to model that.

At the very least provinces should be much bigger so coordinated movements in great details are not possible.

In WW1 communication between units was slow and i don't know if it's possible to model that.

At the very least provinces should be much bigger so coordinated movements in great details are not possible.

An easy way would be to have a delay between giving an order to an unit and it executing it, which would depend on tech, doctrines and various other factors.

Reactions:
well. there's a new Beta REDUX version that's currently updating the old WW1 mod. as that mod is more or less dead, due to the developer of that mod decided to flat out begin to work on his very own WW1 game instead.

To say that the Mod of World War I Wolferos is dead or abandoned is totally false and precisely recently they released a larger patch who has never done Although it is true that they are doing their own game project, I think it is not yet the highest priority and they are doing it in a calm and unhurried way

Reactions:
An easy way would be to have a delay between giving an order to an unit and it executing it, which would depend on tech, doctrines and various other factors.

Good idea. Also the delay should have a bigger random factor so you can't really coordinate effectively.

A stand-alone spin-off game with same mechanics (some adjustments would still be necessary) would be great.

There are Mods to recreate WW1 in HoI.

But adding a WW1 start date to HoI4 would require wrecking large parts of the game (including ideologies, tech trees, every single focus tree) and rebuilding them from scratch. The devs will NEVER do this.

HoI 4 is all about preparing for a war (WW2, but could be WW1 or any other war with mods) and then fighting it.

If a player starts in the 1910s, they could win WW1 early, but what would they do in the next 2 decades? The game doesn’t have anything to do in a downtime, except preparing for the war.

It would also mean that most of the gametime would be lategame (after the war), which is arguably the weakest part of HoI4 (a plurality among us thinks that midgame is best)

Reactions:
HOI would most likely have to develop a good peace conference system before starting a game in 1910 and hoping to see both WW1 and WW2 occur. Currently the game removes countries and/or factions from the map after a war is won. The current system cannot handle one side losing, there being a realistic peace, and the same sides going back at it again in twenty years.

If HOI figures it out, I will buy it. If they just make a game that starts in 1910, I will buy it. I know either way, it will be fun.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A new standalone scenario? It can be done, but I doubt they will do it. A scenario that includes both wars and the interwar period? Please, no. HoI4 is a terrible game to represent that. The Interbellum is a very interesting period and it deserves it's own game, but the thing is, HoI simply doesn't model internal politics and peacetime economy. 3 ideologies which only change in popularity based on events and scripted modifiers is not exactly fleshed out political system, and "less consumer goods = good" isn't really a sound economic model. In a game which is all about "gear up for an inevitable war, join one of the three major alliances, fight a total war until you or your enemies unconditionally surrender" it's fine, but any other situation will be poorly represented by this system even with extensive use of scripts.

Reactions:
Paradox should create the end-all-be-all grand strategy game that extends this game for centuries... Why have a different game for every century? Also, we've seen insane HOI4 mods that attempt to create this, so if Paradox's modding community can do it... Why can't they? The HOI4 interface and game mechanics are my favorite out of all their games, so I'd want it to replicate that perhaps.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's not exactly true, the western front was far from static until the battle of the Aisne and the Race to the sea, and it opened up again in 1918. Meanwhile the eastern front was quite mobile.

Of course this make it even harder to represent as the game would have to be able represent both the static and mobile phases.

A good WW1 game should also represent the mobilization and the time it took. Also a big part of the stalemate on the western front was the time it took for the generals to learn what happened on the front and for their instruction to be received, preventing exploitation of successful offensives before the enemy could counterattack. That's not something that HOI does.
Not at all. If mobilisation of manpower is more tightly locked, the first phase of war is ok to represent with just low troops density,band low level of entrenchment possible. Then, you can add several techs, or doctrines, or techs that get massive bonus to entrenchment and increase defence value of light artillery.

Then, by 1916-1917, tactics, techs, ex, should get unlocked, that would boost breakthrough, and maybe even reduce entrenchment level possible, and front will start moving again.

The greatest fault of all WW1 mods I've seen is the fact unit stats are so static. Now, this can be said to be true in WW2, but for WW1, this shouldn't be so.

Paradox should create the end-all-be-all grand strategy game that extends this game for centuries... Why have a different game for every century? Also, we've seen insane HOI4 mods that attempt to create this, so if Paradox's modding community can do it... Why can't they? The HOI4 interface and game mechanics are my favorite out of all their games, so I'd want it to replicate that perhaps.
It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. Can EUIV even do both medieval and Napoleonic warfare well?

• 1Like
Reactions: