• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

forrseti

Captain
Feb 16, 2015
Since Europa Universalis IV starts from 1444 instead of 1399 (EU3) you did not update the flag of Naples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Naples (Historical Flags).

750px-Bandera_de_N%C3%A1poles_-_Trast%C3%A1mara.svg.png

As the kingdom of Naples was part of the Crown of Aragon and as thus, the iconic red and yellow senyera became the country's flag representative with Anjou's colors as well since 1442.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
The Angevin arms is more recognisable and pleasing to the eye than the, albeit more historical, patchwork of Aragon and everything else.

Reactions:
Then you get the same hilarity as an England that has given up their claims to France. :p
A shameless plug here by me: I use this — kind of fantasy one — flag for England in my game:
aN85Cva.png

It's basically a St. George's cross with England's shield superimposed in order to differentiate it from Trier's and Genoa's ones.

What option did England really pick in history? did they keep their cores in france or abandon them?
The French fleurs-de-lys remained on the English (and, consequently, British) arms until 1801. So the claims on the throne definitely lasted for long.

Reactions:
What option did England really pick in history? did they keep their cores in france or abandon them?

It's complicated. England kept the arms, but declined the claims. Partially the fleur de lis were kept in as a token of the Normandy claims.

Largely though, historically the fleur de lis remaining on the English/British coat is accurate, except during the Republic - when only England and Scotland, and later Ireland, were claimed under the arms of the Commonwealth.

A shameless plug here by me: I use this — kind of fantasy one — flag for England in my game:
aN85Cva.png

It's basically a St. George's cross with England's shield superimposed in order to differentiate it from Trier's and Genoa's ones.

I'd be tempted to just use the Leopards (Lions) for England myself, and ideally have some sort of dynamic system to be able to add more arms/flags to the state as you expand, up to a certain point.

I'd be tempted to just use the Leopards (Lions) for England myself, and ideally have some sort of dynamic system to be able to add more arms/flags to the state as you expand, up to a certain point.
That's a good idea but very unlikely to ever make it into the game. There's always a possibility for those gifted in the art of Photoshop to make your own flag and plop it into the graphics folder and restart the game to update your flag in game. I've never bothered with it as it's bit too much work for not so much gain.

That's a good idea but very unlikely to ever make it into the game. There's always a possibility for those gifted in the art of Photoshop to make your own flag and plop it into the graphics folder and restart the game to update your flag in game. I've never bothered with it as it's bit too much work for not so much gain.

True enough - it's an "ideal" dream. I doubt that we'll see it in this version of the game engine. Still, if the devs pick it up for the future I wouldn't object.

What if they break free from Aragon though?

That is the same as saying what if Morocco gets a different dynasty given that others used a different flag than the current one or what if some German minor secularizes like Bremen. This flag is historical flag of Naples in 1444 and if Paradox cares about historicity it should update it.

Reactions:
Another shameless plug. This is the flag I use for Naples in my games, cause I found the flag OP posted looked weird in-game, and splitting off the Aragonese flag looked weird too, so I settled on this.

naples%20small_zpsfor0yjxk.png

Kinda-similar to Hungary, but yet to get them confused :)