• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations indeed @stnylan a well deserved award for some excellent writing in an intriguing story. And of course it is nice to see your work on the 'other side of the pen' get recognised rather than your regular (though always deserved) Fan of the Week award. ;)

Reactions:
Thank you @DensleyBlair!

And now to pass this on - I am going to be guilty of keeping this within the HOI4 family, by nominating a writer whose recent work I greatly admire. He writes beautifully descriptively, conveying, in his most recent work, The Thorn of the Rose, (check it out, it's quite new!) a sense of mystery of which I am envious. The pacing is perfect, as is the update rate. Critically, for me, he is a writer who always acknowledges and responds to the comments by his readership (to me this is sacrosanct).

It gives me the greatest of pleasure to nominate @stnylan - a well deserved WritAAR of the week!
Thank you @Le Jones - that is a very kind and generous nomination.

I hope I continue to live (or perhaps I should say "write" up to it.

How on earth did I miss the fact that @stnylan was back writing again?! Will greatly enjoy catching up very soon.

Many congratulations! :)
Thank you. As every and as always, only if you have time.

Congratulations!
Thank you

Congratulations @stnylan , you deserve it richly my friend! :)
Thank you my friend

Congrats @stnylan! :D Have to say that I've been enjoying the new story immensely.
I am glad.

Congratulations indeed @stnylan a well deserved award for some excellent writing in an intriguing story. And of course it is nice to see your work on the 'other side of the pen' get recognised rather than your regular (though always deserved) Fan of the Week award. ;)
Thank you. It is nice to get one of the other awAARds :)

All
My first AAR in these forums began on 28th December 2002, and was titled MonAARstery Chronicles: A Muscowian Russian AAR . I don't know if other writAARs remember such details, but I still remember fondly my first ever commentator @J. Passepartout. But also how @Storey helped me out with an early matter of presentation, and of the encouragement I got from my first regular cohort of commentators such as @Storey @Valdemar and @Norgesvenn

That was very nearly 17½ years ago.

So much has happened over those last 17½ years, including starting work in the NHS, meeting folks from these forums, suicidal depression, mental health condition diagnosis, redeployment to IT within the NHS, losing falling in love, marriage, parenthood and unclehood, break-up, more depression, Brexit, and now Covid-19. But though I have had a few years here and there when I was mostly absent, these forums - and in particular the AAR subfora - have been here. And very time I have returned I have found a recognisable community.

Not an unchanging one, for this is a human endeavour and therefore constantly in motion - impacted by the arbitrary (forum re-designs :) ) and the march of technology - but still the community I am part of today feels like the community that first welcomed me 17½ years. Of those I named earlier I know for sure one has passed, and only one is even occasionally active. But this is the same community, even so.

This AAR is a project long thought about, but given impetus by Covid-19. Not because I suddenly have free time - I most assuredly do not (my department, along with the rest of the NHS, has been slightly busy of late). Rather I needed something to do, and all the activity gave me the shove I needed. I am very glad I did so. Twice before in my live this community has given me the support to see me through difficult times. Well, the same is true today. And whilst I cannot speak for anyone else, I am sure others feel the same way too. This place just brightens up my day.

Thank you all for being part of this community

And thank you to everyone who has commentated so far in my AAR. I still remember my first comment from @J. Passepartout and how excited I was. It is one reason I try comment as widely as I do. Therefore I say to anyone who has read to the end of this rambling monologue, if you only have time to add one extra AAR to your schedule, don't choose mine. Chose an AAR by a new writAAR, and give someone else the joy of regular comments.

To view is very human, in these trying times to comment is divine.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
All power to you, @stnylan. An exceptional credit to AARland in all you do here!

Congratulations @stnylan. It is nice to see you win others awAARds sometimes. :)

Thanks for being a pillar to this community.

Many congrats, my good friend!

Congrats @stnylan . Not only is your AAR very good but its also a deserving candidate here.
You are responsible for my being active on these forums. You always comment on AAR's and inspire so many people, its apt that you have won this. You deserve it.
Congrats again man!
:):):):):):):)

So well merited my friend. Very privileged to have been part of the audience for this particular one since its earliest days. More power to your pen with this deep and fascinating excursion into the murky fictional underworld and hoping your RL work starts to ease up. Congratulations @stnylan :)

Congtatulations @stnylan. I appreciate how you welcomed me to this community by commenting on my first AAR. I enjoyed your new project. I havent played HOI4 and that did not effect the quality of story (though I dont know now what to expect from HOI4 if I every pick it up)

All power to you, @stnylan. An exceptional credit to AARland in all you do here!
Thank you

Congratulations and well deserved.
And thank you

Congratulations @stnylan. It is nice to see you win others awAARds sometimes. :)

Thanks for being a pillar to this community.
It makes a change, I agree. Thank you.

Congrats @stnylan - heading over now to check it out!
I hope you find it of interest.

Many congrats, my good friend!
Thank you my friend.

Congrats @stnylan . Not only is your AAR very good but its also a deserving candidate here.
You are responsible for my being active on these forums. You always comment on AAR's and inspire so many people, its apt that you have won this. You deserve it.
Congrats again man!
:):):):):):):)
Thank you.

So well merited my friend. Very privileged to have been part of the audience for this particular one since its earliest days. More power to your pen with this deep and fascinating excursion into the murky fictional underworld and hoping your RL work starts to ease up. Congratulations @stnylan :)
Thank you very much my friend.

Congratulations @stnylan !!!
Thank you

And thank you

Congtatulations @stnylan. I appreciate how you welcomed me to this community by commenting on my first AAR. I enjoyed your new project. I havent played HOI4 and that did not effect the quality of story (though I dont know now what to expect from HOI4 if I every pick it up)
Thank you @jscaco

So it time to choose a new writAAR of the Week. Never an easy task. Consulting the first page though, and thinking through those I have read, I was rather surprised to note a certain prolific writer who apparenly has only earned this honour on one single occasion. Despite having a number of fine AARs ongoing across a number of different games. Perhaps it is because only one of them is in a better known area of the forum.

Regardless, readAARs and writAARs, commentatAARs and lurkAARs, I give you an author who takes us to early mediaeval Russia, to a resurgent Turkey, to a Republic of the ancient world striding towards greatness, and a Russia engaging in a brutal frozen Siberian war. This last itself a continuation of a game where France refused to die.

@Bullfilter, I believe, did not know that retirement meant to be a part-time (full-time?) AAR writer - but it has and we are all blessed because of it, and he is your new writAAR of the Week.

• 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks so much @stnylan - this is a very great honour coming from you. Truly appreciated. I’ll take the title of unpaid full-time writAAR with a wry smile! :D Especially given COVID has temporarily suspended my other great post-retirement occupation of playing cricket away. Let’s hope not for too long!

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions: